News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Gloomspite Gitz List Building Ideas (Feel Free To Join In and Post Your Own!)  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Title says it all ;D! If anyone is interested in the Gloomspite Gitz, let's get together and bash around some ideas on how to build some strong lists!

Moonies:

LEADERS
Skragrott, The Loonking
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork
Loonboss
- Artefact : Backstabber's Blade

UNITS
40 x Stabbas
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
40 x Stabbas
- Stabbas & Moon Shields
40 x Stabbas
- Stabbas & Moon Shields

10 x Sporesplatta Fanatics
10 x Sporesplatta Fanatics

3 x Rockgut Troggoths
3 x Rockgut Troggoths

ENDLESS SPELLS
Malevolent Moon
Scrapskuttle's Arachnacauldron
Soulsnare Shackles

Loonshrine

1990 / 2000 Wounds: 175

So, it was a hard decision to choose Skagrott over the Gobbapalooza. But I think I can find more use in his rules than I can with the 5 Gobbo Circus. He'll begin the game with a summon of the Arachnacauldron to combine his bonus to casting and unbinding with the light of the Bad Moon. I also get a potential couple of command points to use, which is always great. Malevolent Moon has the reverse purpose for enemy wizards, dealing some mortal wounds and debuffing their cast and unbind rolls.

120 Stabbas to fill out the ranks, since shootas seem very poor to me. I decided to bring 20 Sporesplatta Fanatics to shield these grots as they charge into battle or hold objectives. I think I'll be using a formation of 80 Stabbas shielded by 20 Sporesplattas, in turn buffing the stabbas with the Puffshroom frenzy for an extra attack for each grot.

The Loonboss will also be in the formation and buffing one of the stabba units w/ "I'm Da Boss,
So Stabb 'Em Good" ( I think that's the name of it).

Finally I decided on Soulsnare shackles for further support from the Loonking and two minimal units of Rockgut Troggoths for some solid damage dealers to roam around on the flanks or hold objectives.

I might switch out the troggoths, or at least a unit of them and add in two units of Sneaky Snufflers, since they're really great at support.

Squiggies:

Loonboss on Mangler Squigs
- General
- Command Trait : The Clammy Hand

UNITS
10 x Boingrot Bounderz (200)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
10 x Squig Hoppers (180)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)
12 x Squig Herd (140)

BATTALIONS
Squig Rider Stampede (140)
Squigalanche (90)

Loonshrine

1990/2000 Wounds: 176

Highly aggressive list, with rerolls for the 3D6 movement for each unit in the Squig Rider Stampede. Combine that with the ability to considered in combat if a unit from the Squigalanche (which is every unit, except the additional loonboss on mangler squig) is within 6" and granted an additional 3" to their pile in, and we have an army that can blitz and dish out some incredible damage with a good alpha strike. I was initially worried about the staying power of this list, but it does have 176 wounds in total, so it's much more difficult to shift than it looks.

Two Loonbosses / on Mangler Squigs, nuff said! ;D
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
I feel inclined to take Spears on the Stabbas over Stabbas (which is a weird and frustrating sentence). All those extra dice coupled with all those extra attacks from the Spore Frenzy is pretty enticing.

That said, do you think Sporesplattas will last very long? They seem like prime and pretty easy shooting targets to me--high value, low durability. I guess it altogether depends on how much shooting you expect to take.

Shootas do seem less impressive than Stabbas, yeah, but having one unit of massed shooting doesn't seem like a bad idea, though. I'm a newbie, though, so maybe I'm not accurately diagnosing the metagame, but it would seem being able to do a couple extra wounds on things before getting into combat would be awesome.

As for the squigs, I struggle to see how Squig Hoppers beat out Boingrot Bounderz in most scenarios. For only 10 points more, you wind up with a +2 save, double the offense, and a mortal-wound ability that is vastly easier to use (jumping *over* a unit when it has a 3" no-land zone on either side of it seems extremely hard to pull off, even with 3d6 re-rollable movement). I just don't see that extra 1d6" of movement to be worth the trade-off. Bounderz seem able to absolutely pancake units they hit.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
You're correct about the Bounderz vs. Hoppers, I kind of just like the riders more ;D, but the kits should be interchangeable now that I think about it.

I've also pondered about the survivability of the Spore Splattas, they almost seem just as good as a support unit behind grot lines and granting those attacks. I imagine two turns of shooting, if the unit is an average ranged unit, would wipe out a squad. So perhaps more spore Splattas should be on the field would be the answer. Could drop the trolls and add another unit, 30 Spore Splattas would be difficult to chew through before they come into the threat zone with their 3D6" movement.

But perhaps increasing one or two of the stabba units and hiding 2 units of Loonsmashas would be a better idea? If that's possible to fit in one list, would have to play around with the points a bit more.

Moonies 2:

Skragrott, The Loonking - General - Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork
Loonboss - Artefact :  Backstabber's Blade 

UNITS
60 x Stabbas - Stabbas & Moon Shields
60 x Stabbas - Stabbas & Moon Shields
40 x Stabbas - Pokin Spears & Moon Shields

15 x Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 x Sneaky Snufflers
5 x Sneaky Snufflers
5 x Sneaky Snufflers

ENDLESS SPELLS
Malevolent Moon

TOTAL: 2000/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0     WOUNDS: 216

Squiggies 2:

LEADERS
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs - General - Command Trait : The Clammy Hand  - Artefact :  Backstabber's Blade 
Loonboss on Mangler Squigs - Artefact :  Leering Gitshield 

UNITS
12 x Squig Herd
12 x Squig Herd
12 x Squig Herd
15 x Boingrot Bounderz
10 x Boingrot Bounderz

BEHEMOTHS
Mangler Squigs

BATTALIONS
Squig Rider Stampede
Squigalanche

TOTAL: 1990/2000     EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 2     WOUNDS: 158

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 04:08:07 PM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
LEADERS
Skragrott, The Loonking
- General
- Lore of the Moonclans : The Hand of Gork
UNITS
60 x Stabbas
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- 6 x Barbed Nets
- 1 x Badmoon Icon Bearers
10 x Loonsmasha Fanatics
12 x Squig Herd
12 x Squig Herd
5 x Sneaky Snufflers
15 x Boingrot Bounderz

ENDLESS SPELLS

Malevolent Moon
Mork's Mighty Mushroom

TOTAL: 1990/2000 EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 0 WOUNDS: 176

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
Any particular reason you're taking *all* of the Endless spells? Doesn't Mork's Mighty Mushroom hurt your own guys, as well (or did I miss the exception somewhere)?

It seems, with Skragrott as your only caster, you'd be spending a lot of time getting these spells off and not a lot of time casting spells to directly assist your troops.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Any particular reason you're taking *all* of the Endless spells? Doesn't Mork's Mighty Mushroom hurt your own guys, as well (or did I miss the exception somewhere)?

It seems, with Skragrott as your only caster, you'd be spending a lot of time getting these spells off and not a lot of time casting spells to directly assist your troops.

So, here is why I took all three Endless Spells. Because of Skragrott's crown, he already has a passive "+1" to casting to begin with. Summon the Arachnacauldron on turn one, which you'll need to place near Skragrott and the unit of Moonclan he is going to follow. He now has a further "+1" to casting. Start Skragrott and the moonclan unit he will be following in a place where they can be affected by the light of the badmoon. That's a further "+1" to casting.

Skagrott can cast two spells. So open with the Arachnacauldron, and then the malevolent moon so it can rush off and deal not only some damage, but give enemy casters "-1" to their unbinding and casting attempts. Light of the Badmoon, once it affects the entire table, will give enemy casters a further "-1" to cast.

I decided to take Mork's Mushroom to use like the Stormcast Everblaze comet. Dump the Mushroom down in the enemy's deployment zone, especially if they've turtled up, and either watch the enemy get dished out mortal wounds until the Mushroom is dispelled, or watch the enemy formation break up to avoid more damage.

I think it's a great spell just for breaking up the enemy. And if you've got the mushroom in their deployment zone, I think the damage it can do to your own troops will be limited.

The casting values for the Endless Spells is not too steep either. I imagine you can get most of them off in the first two turns before any real engagements happen.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:14:35 AM by Myen'Tal »

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
May I join in with my first Git list?

Leaders:

Skragrott, the Loonking (general)

Fungoid Cave Shaman

Loonboss

Battline:

20 Stabbas with Pokin' Spears and Moon Shields, 3 Barded Nets, Gong Basher and Moonclan Flag Bearer

20 Shootas with Moonclan Bows, Slittas, 3 Barded Nets, Gong Basher and Moonclan Flag Bearer

20 Shootas with Moonclan Bows, Slittas, 3 Barded Nets, Gong Basher and Moonclan Flag Bearer

Other Units:

Brewgit, Spiker, Boggleye, Shroomancer and Scaremonger

5 Sneaky Snufflers

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 Loonsmasha Fanatics

5 Sporesplatta Fanatics

Battalions:

Moonclan Skrap

Gobbapalooza

Skulkmob Horde

Endless Spells:

Malevolent Moon

Mork's Mighty Mushroom

Terrain:

Bad Moon Loonshrine

Points Total: 2000pts
Command Points: 4

Just an attempt to strike a balance between fluff and power.  ;D

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
I think larger blocks of goblins will probably pay off better--better Ld, better able to take advantage of shields, backstabbing, more netters, etc.

I'm aiming for 40-strong blocks, myself.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
Absolutely.  I was wondering if I should skip the battalions or something else and take more grots. 

Is a unit of 60 viable?  Could be a pain to deploy and move.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
(Shrug)
Maybe. I feel like a unit if that size seems likely to get in the way--just a huge footprint. But that might be an advantage, depending.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
I like your list, calamity :), though I'd make some changes. Wyddr is correct, I think 20 strong Grot units are simply going to get cut down too easily. They're not going to be able to absorb leadership losses very well, won't get the buff to shields, and once a unit is taken below twenty, not sure how effective the attack buffs from the Sneaky Snufflers would be.

I wouldn't spend too many points in three different battalions. I guess Moonclan Skrap could nullify the leadership vulnerability for the 20 man units. Gobbapoolza seems pretty good, but keep in mind that half of the goblin shamans in that squad can only buff characters. Not sure if a loonboss is worth all of that support.

I like the moonclan skrap, but bringing that battalion is expensive when you consider the units that you need to take to make it work. But seeing as you're doing all Moonclan, I think that works out ;D. Do you need to buy the secondary battalions for larger battalions like Moonclan Skrap? I always thought you only needed to buy the larger battalion?

I think 40 strong Grots isn't a bad idea, keeps them versatile and bulky enough to absorb some losses. I was planning on using my 60 Grots to wade across the board and tarpit most of the center lol. It's a tarpit that you can't really ignore, and once the enemy falls into it, the Sneaky Snufflers can make them much more bitey. That, and Hand of Gork can singlehandedly ensure that the Grots can launch themselves into a good position and dominate a lot of space.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
I’ve some information to share that might be relevant here.  I recently played a 1k game with my Gitz.  First time taking them out.  It was against the new Skaven.  Plague monks led by Thanquol on Boneripper.  Here’s what I took:

The Loonking
A Fungoid Cave Shaman
1 unit of 20 stabbas with Pokin Spears and 3 barded nets.
1 unit of 20 shootas with 3 barded nets
1 unit of 10 squigs with 2 handlers
5 Loonsmasha fanatics (hidden in stabba unit)
Mork’s Mighty Mushroom
Malevolent Moon
Loon shrine

The mission was places of power (the 4 objectives one), and I swear to Mark, I might have won had Hand Of Gork successfully went off.  But even with a +2 bonus to casting, I rolled a double one so...no.  ::)

The plan was to charge the squigs into the unit of plague monks, whilst using The Hand to pick up the shootas and place them right behind said unit, capturing his home objective and bagging me 4 points, as well as firing a volley into the enemy unit to help out the squigs.  With the monks numbers thinned our, I might have captured the right hand objective as well, for another 2 points.

But I failed to cast it, and the squigs also only scored 1/3 of hits with their attacks too, so it wasn’t to be.  He destroyed the squigs, and thanquol destroyed the stabbas with the fanatics, and that was that.  Final score 13-2.  :P

But the two spells?  The mushroom and the moon?  Devastating!  Only 10 out of 40 monks survived the game thanks to them, and thanquol and the plague furnace also suffered damage.  Plus the moon stopped a spell going off.  Had the dice actually cut me a break for once it may have been a win!  ;D

I like the gitz play style.  Different to what I’ve played before, and quite easy once you get your head around it.

List wise, I’m wondering if the king is a bit of a sink?  Maybe I should replace him with more grots? 

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Sounds like a cool game, Calam! Also cool thematic match against the Skaven. You got unlucky with some of the rolls, but I think Thanquol would have been a tough obstacle no matter which way you cut it. One of his weapons just absolutely mulches horde infantry. Glad to hear that those Endless Spells are doing work for you though!

I can see Skragrott being a bit of a points sink, plus he's a bit fragile. I think he is more of a sink at 1000 points than he would be at 2000 though. I would have just opted for the Fungoid Shaman for a medium sized match :).