News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Malign Portants  (Read 2241 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Malign Portants
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:03:42 PM »
https://malignportents.com

So, no one's really been talking about this yet.

A new year, leads to a new narrative theme to age of Sigmar, leading to what looks like a campaign/narrative book in March.

Thematically, sounds similar to the gathering Storm books to me. Some cool gameplay rules, a handful of new models (ala the triumvirate) and a push to the narrative.

Every week they release a short story on the Malign Portants site, which I've really been enjoying reading.

What I'm most excited about, is what the narrative change will lead to future releases. There are some cool teasers in the animated videos, which seem to clue into future releases.

The 'New' factions in age of Sigmar (Stormcast, kharadrona for example) have such unique aesthetics, I'm really curious what else they have planned, for example a unique Aelf faction.

Anyway, I suggest checking out the animated videos, and the website. This stuff is all super cool, and I'm excited to see what comes next.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Malign Portants
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 07:27:11 AM »
I liked the hint towards the role played by Death in Grim Deliverance.  This narrative is the first one that has started to draw me more into Age of Sigmar.  My expectations of Malign Portents were low initially, but they are starting to increase now, in view of the amount of material being uploaded to the sight and the emphasis on narrative development.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »
The short stories are all pretty great. I also love the videos with the observer. The last one, where he is confronted by a mysterious new voice is quite foreboding.

I'm curious to see what Nagash has been up to, and the place Death will take in this struggle between Order and Chaos. Nagash knows that chaos is his #1 threat, but after betraying Sigmar a couple of times, he's not going to be working with order too closely either.

Death have the position to be a very clear threat to all the Mortal Realms.

There is a new story out too. A nurgle warband returns to their garden from battle, but something is there waiting for them.

https://malignportents.com/story/the-hangmans-curse/

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:16:22 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:56:40 PM »
So the newest vid from WarhammerTV on youtube basically confirmed that Morathi is coming with an Witch Elves-themed army of some kind. No idea if it will include new models, but I'd expect some kind of army list and some fluff at least.

New one today:
Teaser: Blood and Fury - YouTube
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 02:00:56 PM by Sir_Godspeed »

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 01:32:38 PM »
Ohamphetamine parrot!

It's coming soon! I'm ready excited to get this book and then seeing where the story will go!

Next Week?s Pre-orders: Death is Coming (but in a good way) - Warhammer
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:38:51 AM »
Explore the Narrative - Malign Portents

I did not imagine that this would be interactive to the extent that it would actually be possible to vote each week for one of the options on the site.  It makes me wish that I were actually playing.  Has anyone here been voting?

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

• Ancient
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 07:58:27 PM »
I've been playing in the campaign. Going out again tomorrow. I picked up the Malign Portents book, and it's just chock full of narrative missions and rules for playing games set in this ominous time in the realm of Shyish.

I'm really digging the event!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

• Ancient
« Reply #7 on: June 6, 2018, 01:41:17 PM »
Has anyone else been still reading the stories they post on the malign portants site?

I've been reading them since day one,and they are phenomenal. What I really enjoy about them, is the personal perspective of individuals across the grand alliances in the mortal Realms.

The stories are on the whole fairly dark, which is to be expected, but I recommend them for anyone who is interested in the lore of the game.

There are two new stories posted each week.

https://malignportents.com
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 6, 2018, 05:10:33 PM »
I'll get back into reading them when I have time.  I've been very busy lately for reasons which you already know.  I appreciate the effort that GW has made to make more of the narrative with Malign Portents.  It was a much needed development and I think it does enhance Age of Sigmar quite a bit.  I just haven't had an opportunity to make the most of it, unfortunately.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: June 6, 2018, 06:12:57 PM »
I was keeping up with the Malign Portents stories when the campaign was building up / going on. Kind of fallen off the band wagon since then, but I keep hearing the stories are really good. I just need to read more Age of Sigmar in general :).
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

• Ancient
« Reply #10 on: June 7, 2018, 03:22:16 PM »
I'll get back into reading them when I have time.  I've been very busy lately for reasons which you already know.  I appreciate the effort that GW has made to make more of the narrative with Malign Portents.  It was a much needed development and I think it does enhance Age of Sigmar quite a bit.  I just haven't had an opportunity to make the most of it, unfortunately.

I recommend them when you have the chance. You can download each story as a PDF as well, to read them offline if you'd like. They are not long, but are cool snippets.

I was keeping up with the Malign Portents stories when the campaign was building up / going on. Kind of fallen off the band wagon since then, but I keep hearing the stories are really good. I just need to read more Age of Sigmar in general :).

There are a few involving Deepkin as well!
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: June 7, 2018, 09:29:58 PM »
Will read them tomorrow! So gentlemen, what would be a great first book to start the Age of Sigmar novel binge? Plague Garden or The Spear of Shadows?

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: June 7, 2018, 10:10:31 PM »
I recommend getting the realm gate wars campaign series, I think most of them you can get in novel form. Otherwise, warbeast is quite good.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: June 7, 2018, 10:33:52 PM »
I recommend getting the realm gate wars campaign series, I think most of them you can get in novel form. Otherwise, warbeast is quite good.

Thanks for the recommendations, Killersquid, will look into the realm gate wars. I feel like I should already be reading about this stuff since AoS is moving onward. Guess I should hurry and read them.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #14 on: June 8, 2018, 08:22:40 PM »
I love Spear of Shadows!

It's set a few decades after the Realmgate Wars, once the various races have started to settle across the Realms. It gives a great insight into lots of aspects of Mortal Realms society and how people live, as well as references to religon and magic that add lots of flavour to the setting.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: June 9, 2018, 05:38:42 PM »
Cool, thanks for the information, Lorizael, guess I should save that one for until I've finished the Realmgate wars series ;D.