News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Some Deathwatch Conversions (v. Pic Heavy) [fixed links]  (Read 3417 times)

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Don't Panic; It's Open-Source!
    • The Place Where I Put Stuff Online
Some Deathwatch Conversions (v. Pic Heavy) [fixed links]
« on: July 18, 2017, 09:37:37 PM »
I've been out of the hobby for ages, but over the last few months I've been trying to get back into it with a new Deathwatch army (I was an Eldar player from 3rd through 5th editions, and never actually played any games of 6th or 7th).

I've been having a lot of fun kitbashing the Deathwatch Veterans box with parts from the Sternguard, Devastators, Command Squad, Vanguard Vets, and the chapter upgrade kits.

This is mostly just a photo-dump post, so there are lots of pictures to scroll through. Wherever possible I've tried to annotate where the parts came from.

Deathwatch Scouts - Shadow War: Armageddon
To start off, here's my kill team from Shadow War. Most of the models are stock Space Marine Scouts, with the heads from the Tempestus Scions, and a couple of simple weapon swaps.  I used to run a Deathwatch RPG campaign, and the rulebook talked about Deathwatch in infiltrator armour, so that's where the main inspiration for this team came from. Rules-wise I use the Space Wolves list.

Brother Reinhardt
I'm a fan of the game Overwatch, and I couldn't resist trying to make a Space Marine version of Reinhardt. I wanted the model to be more 40k than Overwatch, so it's just a simple bit of sculpting on the shoulder, some light conversion on the face, and equipment to match the character in-game. (For those who don't play Overwatch, Reinhardt is one of the tank characters. He's a grizzled old vet with a scar through one eye, and charges into battle with a giant hammer and an energy shield.)

WIP painting

Finished

Melta-Fist
Just a super-simple conversion to give one of my Terminators a melta-fist. The arm is a standard Terminator power fist, with the melta portion of the Combi-Melta from the DW Veterans box. The The gun and lower part of the fist were shaved down, a little GS to cover the gaps, and a purity seal to replace the shaved-off =][= icon that was on the gun (it was shaved off because the gun is mounted upside-down on the arm)

Bases!
Years ago I wrote an article for Warseer's Firebase e-magazine on how to do urban basing. I'm planning on writing an updated version (it was written back when Graveyard Earth and Scorched Brown were still extant colours), but the main components of the basing itself is chunks of sprue, Woodland Scenics medium ballast, and sections of fibreglass window screen.

Veterans
Just some regular DW veterans made with parts from various kits.

I'm amazingly happy with how this guy turned out. The Black Templar upgrade set has some fantastic parts.

These guys' arms and heads aren't all glued on yet, so forgive the extra gaps and odd angles for some of the pieces.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:45:06 PM by laucian_meliamne »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
Re: Some Deathwatch Conversions (v. Pic Heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:14:33 PM »
I see you got got by photobucket. I'm learning Flickr now. Really want to see your pics.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Some Deathwatch Conversions (v. Pic Heavy) [fixed links]
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:45:48 PM »
I hadn't realized photobucket changed their terms. That's a pain in the butt. Anyway, links are now fixed.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:47:20 AM »
G'day laucian!
Amazing work there, mate. Can you do a tutorial on faces, please? They have always been my bane and yours look pro... Be well!

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:02:05 PM »
Glad you like them!

And yes, I can try to do a tutorial for faces. I've got the DW Chaplain Cassius model on the go, and have literally only applied primer and the first layer of paint to his face. When I get back to working on him I'll try to take step-by-step pictures and put them in a tutorial over on the painting board.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 05:42:16 PM »
Thanks mate!
If my doggy's faces can look like your Marines, I'll be very grateful.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
Threw a quick tutorial together for you. You can find it here.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 12:02:24 AM »
Great job Laucian, I prefer the Boltguns you've used over the ones in the DW kits too.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 12:42:39 AM »
The guns are just the combi-flamers and combi-meltas from the Sternguard kit. I think I actually prefer the DW bolters, but variety is always good.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 01:43:11 AM »
I made a Watch Master out of the captain from the Company Command box. The weapon is made from a DW heavy thunder hammer, a SM Scout combat blade, and a DW bolter. The hardest part was shaving down the central icon of the heavy thunder hammer to get the little =][= logo to fit where the handle would otherwise be.

Dry-fitting everything together. The helmet is going to be of the crested ones from the DW upgrade sprue.

Size comparison between the official Watch Master and the conversion. Mine is a bit smaller, and differently-shaped, but given the variety in bolters, helmets, chainswords, and everything else in this game, I'm okay with that.

Unfortunately I ran into a problem during the priming process; the can of primer "burped" and fired way too much paint at the chest, completely obliterating the detail. Of course I didn't notice until after it had dried. Try as I might, I couldn't strip off the primer, so instead I carved off the ruined chest piece and replaced it, re-sculpting the abdomen as necessary. I'm pretty happy with the result, to be honest.

Offline Mr.Peanut (Turtleproof)

• Ride Like Lightning, Crash Like Thunder | Infinity Circuit | Pork Sword of Mod-Justice | Took the basket, nuts and lol | Good grief, ye hennie pennies
  • Ancient
  • Turtleposting At The Speed Of SHift
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Sigmarines, Chaos, Demons
« Reply #10 on: August 8, 2017, 05:41:17 PM »
So, the Watch Master was recruited from the Adeptus Custodes or Grey Knights?  Looks pretty great, regardless.  What head do you have in mind?
You are
What you do
When it counts
     -The Masao
"Getting what you want can be dangerous.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #11 on: August 9, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
Haven't decided where the Watch Master is from. I might just give him a solid black, chapterless shoulder pad and say he's a Black Shield who's been around for a while.

For the head I'm going to use the crested helmet with the lower-face visor off the DW upgrade sprue.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
digging that pose well done :)

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Work on the Deathwatch army continues. I've got a bunch more photos to post, but here's a quick one. Several years ago I ran a Dark Heresy campaign, and in one of the pre-made adventures there's a Space Marine character that accompanies the PCs.  On a whim I decided to make a miniature version of him, or as close to him as I could reasonably do with minimal effort and the bits I had on-hand.

So here's my take on Brother-Sergeant Agamorr:

There's a scene at the climax of the adventure where the PCs seem hopelessly outnumbered, and everything is about to go horribly wrong when, from somewhere in the space hulk they're exploring they hear a cry of "For the Emperor!" and Agamorr comes charging in to the rescue. He was presumed dead earlier in the adventure when he left the PCs to hold off waves of enemies, so his return to make a breach for the players is a pretty awesome moment.  I opted to give him a running pose to emulate that scene from the adventure.

Now I just need to choose a colour scheme for his chapter shoulder pad.  It's described as two ornate, crossed thunder hammers. Obviously it's dark with a light border from the picture, but that's all I know.  He's said to be from the Hammers of Retribution chapter, but that chapter doesn't have any other known members, nor any colour images of their livery.  I'm thinking a black field with either white or yellow for the border, with the hammers in the same colour as the trim.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2017, 07:59:41 PM »
looking good.

Black and white on the shoulder pad looks great on deathwatch.  I prefer a white pad with a black boarder and chapter symbol, but that's just me :)

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how the model turned out.

A while ago I did some Primaris deathwatch models, but never got around to posting photos.  I haven't started painting them yet; they're pretty far down the queue.

Aggressors:
The Terminator shoulders fit on these guys almost perfectly. I had to shave down the rim on the DW pads a little because of the small clearance between the arm and the backpack vent, but otherwise there's no problem.

Reivers:
The DW pads fit just fine on the left arms, but the right arms required a lot of shaving to fit the chapter shoulder pads on. These are obviously optional, but I like how they look.

I decided to give the squad sergeant a more traditional Marine helmet. I'm really happy with how it looks!

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2017, 04:15:40 AM »
Niiiiice!
Your positioning is first class, mate. They look so animated. Your lads will be a force to be reconned with... Pointy ears forever!!

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 12:06:30 PM »
Honestly, the positioning for the Reivers is 100% GW. Those models, as nice as they are, are basically mono-pose. Same with the Aggressors.

Honestly I'm a little disappointed that they aren't more customizable.  I've been loving how easy it is to mix-and-match parts from the Assault, Vanguard, Sternguard, Devastator, Tactical, Command, and Deathwatch kits.  Even the 30k Mk 3 and Mk 4 sets can be part-swapped with the other SM sets. But the Primaris ones are much more static, despite how much cooler most of the poses are.

Offline laucian_meliamne

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 04:04:01 PM »
Minor threadomancy, but since this thread is still on the first page and it's just more of the same, here are some more conversions I've done recently for the DW army...

Space Marine Heroes
I grabbed a couple of the blind-box Marines and wound up getting 2x of this exact model. So I decided to do a full arm-swap on one hand and switch out the hand on the other.  Nothing complex, but I like how it turned out.

Primaris Scale Watch Master
I love the aura reroll ability of the Watch Master, but when you're fielding an army of mainly Primaris models, the standard-sized models look a little runty.

Not totally sure why the image is appearing sideways -- does the 40kOnline server mangle exif data??

This model is based on the Primaris Captain model, with the weapon made out of a combination of a Grey Knights nemesis force staff, DW boltgun, and SM Scout combat knife.  Since taking this picture I've decided to go for a bearded, helmetless head, and I'm going to turn the cherub carrying the meltabomb from the Devastators box into a helmet-bearer/objective marker.  Tactical Objective: Retrieve the commander's hat!

Intercessor Sergeants
These first two are super-simple and barely qualify as conversions.  One is a bog-standard Intercessor with the FW chain-bayonet to count as a chainsword and the head from some other kit (the limited edition Primaris Captain w/ Plasma Pistol + Powerfist? I don't honestly remember anymore.

The other is made by trimming down the left arm of an Intercessor and grafting on the sword had from the Deathwatch accessory kit.

This one I put together just a couple of days ago.  Thanks to CA'18, we can finally have power fists on Intercessor Sergeants!

The Power Fist is from the Blood Angels Death Company (as is the right pauldron). Fortunately the old non-Primaris powerfists are pretty much the right size for the newer Primaris models, so conversions are pretty simple.