News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A Number of Questions Regarding Armies and Bases  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
A Number of Questions Regarding Armies and Bases
« on: May 11, 2016, 12:02:09 PM »
I've been re-reading the rules for Age of Sigmar, and there are a couple of points that I'd like to clarify.

1. Are the free PDFs still valid?  I see that warscrolls are sold at £10 each on GW's site, but it doesn't say that they replace the free PDF versions, only that they include more than just rules.  I assume that the PDFs are still, therefore, up-to-date.  Is this right?

2. Similarly, is the free four page set of rules still valid for basic games?

3. I note that circular bases are now being used for the majority of infantry and cavalry models.  I cannot see any rules explaining what type of bases must be used in the PDF though, so is this an aesthetic change only or is there a rule which stipulates circular bases must be used?
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: A Number of Questions Regarding Armies and Bases
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 07:51:18 PM »
1) I assume you mean the Compendiums for each race? Yes they are still valid. I'm not sure which "£10 warscrolls" you mean. All of the warscrolls for every unit are entirely free. If you select any Age of Sigmar product on the website, the PDF Warscroll for that unit is on it's product page.
 Newer Warscrolls over-write the older ones, and are more up to date, but you can choose to use whichever version of a Warscroll you wish.

Chaos Knights | Games Workshop Webstore

2) The four-page rules are THE rules and are completely valid- they're reprinted in every Battletome, Campaign and Grand Alliance book.

3)Bases are purely aesthetic. Want to stay on squares, fine; rounds suit you better, use those!; want to dig out some old hex bases from the 80's, carry on! :D
Bases are there purely to hold your model up, they play no part in the actual game at all.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Staff
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 09:28:20 PM »
Yeah, the only reason to pay money for the grand alliance books and Battletomes, is for the battle plans and background. Rules for all models are %100 free. They add rules to each model as soon as they are on pre-order too. Very cool stuff!

Circle bases also look waayy better then squares, but it makes really no difference. Depending on the comp system you play with, bases do matter, but never the shape of them. As long as mini's are on the bases they come with, or equivalent sized round bases.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 05:17:30 AM »
Thanks for the clarification regarding the issue of bases.  I didn't want to have to re-base all my models to play the game (all my Fantasy models are on square bases), so I'm pleased that I won't have to.

I was confusing Warscrolls and Grand Alliance books, so that issue has been resolved as well.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2016, 06:07:02 AM »
Yeah, the Grand Alliance books are a cillection of an entire factions up to date war scrolls.
The Battletomes are more like armybooks of old with background and art as well as rules for specific groups.