News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: All very quiet in forum land?  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: All very quiet in forum land?
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 09:26:23 AM »
I don't know.  It's been pretty active lately.  With some new faces as well.  Not quite were it used to be but it's certainly on the up.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2015, 09:32:20 AM »
I would agree that things have been improving. The Eldar boards are quite active. The other boards still need some help.

I have never understood and still do not understand the "excessive moderation" complaint. Been posting here for ages and can count the number of moderator comments towards me on one hand. Whenever I wander over towards the other forums (BoLS, Warseer, Dakkadakka) its an avalanche of spam and nonsense, for the most part, with nuggets of interesting stuff hidden therein. I just don't have the time for that nonsense.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2015, 10:22:29 AM »
Websites like Warseer and dakka dakka are not having this problem. They go from strength to strength.

You have your facts incorrect about WarSeer.  They have suffered a noticeable drop in activity over the last couple of years.  Dakka has a lot of activity compared to all other 40K forums, but quantity does not equal quality.

For years this forum has suffered from cliques. When I look around now, I see the overwhelming majority of posts coming from the very same names that were moderating this forum when I first joined with my first account back in 2004 (I'm on my third account btw, I know it's not allowed but deal with it).

Again, this is not factually correct.  The vast majority of staff members who were active in 2004 are now Ancients and have not visited the site for a very long time, or make only occasional appearances.

As for your multiple accounts, we are already aware, but thanks for the reminder.

Truth of it is, right now, this forum only appeals to a small niche, members of the cliques and people who actually enjoy excessive moderation.

An opinion does not represent a universal truth.  One person's excessive moderation is another person's idea of good quality moderation.  In the vast majority of cases, the only people who have ever complained about the moderation here are those who consistently break the rules and are moderated for it.

When I make a post to show people my latest battle report or whatever I post it on a number of forums, I literally make an identical post on... Warseer.com, Dakka Dakka, The Waaagh.com and a couple of others.  This is the only forum where I have had moderators delete posts ad send me warning messages etc. That type of thing has always made this forum, above all others, be quite an unpleasant place to post. So I stopped. Haven't posted here in years

The majority of topics which you had deleted here were advertisements and looking at the list of topics which you started on WarSeer and Dakka, there are no advertisements among them.  This means that either you did not post them there, or they were also deleted by the staff of those forums.  In addition, you have not logged into WarSeer since 2012, and there's no apparent activity from you on Dakka since 2012 either.  It's not just here where you haven't been posting regularly it would seem.

Your lack of traffic right now is a result of your chickens coming home to roost. You need to change or die.

The lack of traffic here is caused by younger people using Facebook, Twitter, blogs, or even You Tube, instead of forums, and by the fact that a lot of the core members of this site either no longer play 40K or have become to busy with real life to dedicate any time to this forum.  As a result, there have been far fewer new members coming in to replace senior members who have departed, and thus traffic falls.  In spite of all of that, the number of posts on the forum has increased by a significant amount this year compared to last year.

SMF, the group who makes the forum software for this and a vast number of other forums, has noted a marked drop off in requests for support with the software.  This is a result of forums being used by fewer people.  There is, therefore, strong evidence to support what I'm saying.

It genuinely makes me sad to see what has happened to this place.

In that case, I'm sure that you'll happily step up to the plate and help by making constructive contributions to the forum, so that it can continue to increase its activity next year :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
For years this forum has suffered from cliques. When I look around now, I see the overwhelming majority of posts coming from the very same names that were moderating this forum when I first joined with my first account back in 2004 (I'm on my third account btw, I know it's not allowed but deal with it).

You are right in that, for a while, there was an issue with this forum about cliques.  We always denied it, but it became evident to us in more recent years.  However, there was quite a falling out a number of years ago, and a large portion of those who were part of the "clique" have left the community.  Occasionally some pop back in for a quick re-opening of old wounds, but beyond that they are gone.  My personal belief is that it is for the better, and we can now start rebuilding the community to what it was so many years before.

When I look around now, I see the overwhelming majority of posts coming from the very same names that were moderating this forum when I first joined with my first account back in 2004 (I'm on my third account btw, I know it's not allowed but deal with it).
You must not be looking very hard, or looking to far back into the archives.  The most active poster of the moderators, by far, is Irisado.  He didn't become a moderator until, what, 2011?  2012?  So it definitely isn't him that you are referring to.  After him, the most active moderators would be Rummy or myself, and my own posting habits have dropped considerably over the past number of years.

So, as someone who is active on this forum daily, this comment comes across as someone who is holding a grudge from years past and hasn't actually taken the time to look at what the community is now; or hyperbolic nonsense, take your pick.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...