News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: GW Copywrite rules  (Read 12024 times)

Offline Azgard

Re: GW Copywrite rules
« Reply #40 on: July 9, 2013, 01:58:06 PM »
A few notes

• GW is relentless in their bullying tactics to "keep their IP safe".
    This has been proven in the past with many cease and desist orders. Even to previous versions of this forum as we have seen.
  • Most of these cease and desist orders are not legal and would not hold up in court.
    This has also been proven and we saw it recently with the "Space Marine" incident on amazon.com.
  • Even with the previous point being true, GW still succeeds with the majority of their Cease and Desists. Simply because the affected parties do not have the means to fight back. GW takes this to their great advantage and so preforms these actions as they see fit.

It would seem that this forum falls into the group that does not desire or does not have the means to fight GW on such issues, and so goes the extra mile to keep GW happy.

Personally I would prefer to have less strict rules here at 40konline, but if the owners and mods aren't interested then here is where we stay. Because if it does come to legal action it is the site owner who has to deal with it. (which is who by the way?)

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #41 on: July 9, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »
The owner of the site is Purple Raine.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Azgard

« Reply #42 on: July 9, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
The owner of the site is Purple Raine.

Thanks, nice to know.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 10:49:07 AM »
This is all getting a little cyclical now.

Can I just point out this thread

In my mind the mod has acted perfectly. Warning others before any future post in the thread potentially lands us in trouble.

Of course some slip through and require a retroactive edit by the mods. After all they're only human  ;D

+++EDIT+++

I've finally had a reply from GW legal and as anticipated it is as wooly and vague as many were expecting.

I sent this...
Dear GW legal team,

I have been passed your contact details by Games Workshop customer services department.
My query is with regard to avoiding possible infraction of GWs IP policy by a fan website when its members post comments while discussing their hobby.
Please find attached my original e-mail to your customer service department. For convenience I have copied the original query below.

If I am in conversation with another member on a website would the website be in breach to GWs IP policy if I was to state the following.
 Dire Avengers have a strength of 3
2.Dire Avengers are 15 points per model
3.A 10 man units of Dire Avengers with exarch with all snazzy bits and bobs is 210 points
4.Dire avengers state line is WS8  BS8  S10 T9  W80   I10  A50  Ld12 Sv1+

I very much look forward to your clarification
UNQUOTE

I would like to reiterate that this query is to establish a better understanding of GWs IP policy so that any possible infringement can be avoided.  I also understand GW reserve the right to object to any use of its IP within or without the guidelines made public at any time. This query is in no way intended to set any kind of precedent.

Kind regards
John

I received this...

Hi John

Thanks for your email. I’m afraid that we can’t check or approve posts for forums. You will just have to ensure that you comply with intellectual property/copyright law and our intellectual property policy.  All that I would add is that we own the copyright in the text in our books and we would consider copying of that text to be an infringement of copyright.

If you require advice on intellectual property law then you will need to speak to an independent legal advisor, as I unable to give you any advice myself.

Regards

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 03:27:13 PM by Rummy »