News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II  (Read 23447 times)

Offline CheesyRobMan

• Burna Mek
Re: The Junkyard: Gitz it Done Event II
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 12:59:38 AM »
@Everyone:

Great to see the models coming along. We're still in the middle of house renovation upheaval so there's been very little time available for painting, hence my quietness over the last couple of months.

But more importantly, the last couple of pages are why I'm proud to be involved here. What an awesome bunch you lot are. I salute you all. Although I can't produce models on Ork E Nuff's behalf right now, I'm happily donating 10 teef if the bosses agree.
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Offline Baron Wastelands

• Loota
  • Orks/Necrons in 6th
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
Ok, so with one day to go, it's pretty clear I'm not going to finish both units. So here's where I am: seven fully finished warbikes, including the nob, and 4 warbikes with Wazdakka as WIP. I tend to run units of 6 (or 5 with a character) so that's one full unit, which I'm pretty pleased with, despite not making the whole pledge.

Some pics of the finished unit, particularly happy with the Biker nob with dual PKs clutching the handlebars:

Hope you like :) Will see what I can get done tomorrow night, but I think it might take another month to get the rest done at present!

Anyway, I'm willing to take the full hit for not finishing my pledge, but I would like to willingly jump aboard the current (battle) wagon, and ask that if I do get any teef credit for finishing what I have done, that the teef are donated to Ork E Nuff. Hope things are going ok, mate.

Yellow is the new Green . . .

Offline Kommando Un'Toof

• Your Friendly Neighborhood Kommando (YFNK)
  • Armies: Orks and Eldar
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2012, 03:51:42 AM »
That yellow looks great! The only thing I would change though is the color... shouldn't it be red? After all... red ones go faster. ^_^

Seriously though... amazing! ^_^
"Da small humie can't even pick up dat Grot's choppa! Leav'em, he'll get more killy next time we pass thru." - jawmonkey

Offline adamscurr

• Mega Armored Biker Boss
  • Armies: Evil Sunz, Crimson Fists
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »
Thought I'd put in my pics before the end of the month...  I took another pic of the dakka jet...  The old camera is terrible, but I found that the Ipad has a great camera on it!

I'm pretty happy with all of the models...

Adam

Cause We's Da Orks, and You's Not!!!

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2012, 08:38:58 PM »
shouldn't it be red? After all... red ones go faster. ^_^

While the red ones do go fasta, there is something to be said for going against the grain and going with a stark klan color.  That being said, Baron Wastelands your Bad Moons bikers are truly great work.  There's a lot of great painters that are part of the WotW, but I have an affinity towards Bad Moons at the moment, and you're paint skills in that department leave me scratching my head going "how'd he do that?!"

Great work as always adam, are the dags and checks decals or did you paint them?  I ask because if they are decals, you've done amazingly well with them as I can't see any bubbles or areas where it didn't go on straight or are coming up (I have some difficulty with decals, could you tell?)

As for myself, I have my own final update, and am celebrating the fact it got finished just before the 11th hour (a true rarity for me in these projekts!)

Lets start with the last minute Scratch built Kannons for Ork E Nuff...

They're simple, and the picture perfect example of scratchbuilds, each of them are constructed from scrap that any other bloke would have tossed in the bin rather than the bits box.  The total components are half a Battlecannon, a Leman Russ hatch, Leman Russ sponson bitz, sprues, and cut off scrap card.  I particularly like the one in the rear which used bits from the front sponson of the Russ instead of the side sponsons.  The front tubing of the Kannons are removable just in case I want to use them as Lobbas, or more realistically if I ever decide to do an Imperial Grot Army they'll be perfect for Mortar weapon teams.  The "base" is just a thin cut out of card sized to Monstrous Creature bases and is really there because I think they look better with bases despite the Ork Artillery models lacking a real base.

But enough with that, let's show off the completed Dakka 1...

With Dakka 1 (well with Dakka 2 as well) I tried out a new type of weathering.  Well it was new to me, the basic premise is a series of mud caking washes that are breezed back across the model with a hairdryer before hung up like clothes to dry.  It's supposed to simulate real weathering of planes going thru dust storms.  I think it came out great, but definitely not as expected (than of course in true Orky fashion nothing I build or paint comes out exactly as expected).

The Base came out amazing I think, of course it is just one half of what is currently my favorite konversion

I did try a couple different types of fauna for the side, but nothing really seemed to fit, or really looked right with the Martian red sands that I've been basing most of my models in.  The only detraction I really have with the base is that I'd have much rather used the old Scything Talons for the Lictor, but it was a great find to get that classic Lictor in the first place, beggars can't be choosers after all.

And for the whole package, Dakka 2 atop the scenic base...

Like I alluded to earlier, this is (for the moment anyway) my personal favorite konversion I've built.  It could be classified as a scratchbuild I suppose, but the fact that it contains so much of the standard Dakkajet kit it wouldn't feel right to me.  The mud layering effect really changed the whole dynamic that the first couple coats of jet and metallic black gave, but at the same time it looked a little too Batman to me, and we all should know from earlier in this thread that the Batman Ork thing is really Skeetergod's area of expertise.  Oh before I forget, both Dakkajets can be removed from their bases to sit on the ground, perfect for if/when I build an airfield that will need some idle jets to sit on (oh wonderfully bad terrain ideas that will be overcomplicated, difficult to build, and take up more space than I have free).

And to round it all off in parting here's a group shot of the whole bunch

Peace
~OD
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2012, 09:17:47 PM »
Od...  I think your Dakka jets are by far some of the best conversions I've ever seen...  The one on the right looks really gnarly...  I really like the bulk of it...  It looks mean...  Expect it to get shot down a lot as people will think it looks very scary!

As for my checkers, everything is painted... I also don't like decals and don't use them...  Everything is free hand... 

Adam

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:40 PM »
Here are my completed vow entries.

Group shot!

Burnas

Grots and the "RancOrk"

Tried out a few paint schemes with these - I like the far right buggy best

Da Emp'ror's Guard

Just in time! I love everyone else's entries as well!

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #67 on: November 2, 2012, 05:01:48 PM »
Travis...  You did all that in a month...  You are a dedicated painter...  Can you even see to read this?  You and Skeet are going to go blind painting all that! lol

Adam

Offline travisb7

• Ork Boy
« Reply #68 on: November 2, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »
Travis...  You did all that in a month...  You are a dedicated painter...  Can you even see to read this?  You and Skeet are going to go blind painting all that! lol

Adam

Painted it all in a bloody week! I've always had a problem with procrastination, but on the B&C I painted 2500+ points of Black Templars for a similar challenge.

If I were to really put my hands to it, I could probably have finished a few more squads of boyz that are still nice and primed.

Thanks!

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
  • Armies: Space wolves, Eldar, Orks
« Reply #69 on: November 5, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »
well, I must apologise for the very late pics and response, just as I finished (almost) life stuck its head out out and prevented me from posting these pics. All I ca do is grovel a bit, and promise that I do have everyone other than the building completed by the end of the month.

The battle wagon

The kanz and the dread

the rokkit buggies, lootas and warboss

And, here is a group shot.

Everything here is looking just great!

Od, those jets are just amazing, it's been said before, but I'll say it again, you are the freaking da Vinci of plasticard!  :)
Be nice to nerds, you'll probably be working for them.

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

"Thunder rolled... It rolled a six"

+++Melon melon melon+++
+++out of cheese error redo from start+++
+++Divide by cucumber error. Please reinstall universe and reboot+++

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2012, 11:06:10 AM »
Congrats to all those who finished their projects.   Very good job with a lot more painted editions to your armies.  Sorry I could not be more active in this event but I had a promotion at work that consumed the majority of my time all month plus had to have over half the house redone due to a water pipe breaking.

Anyway....  here are the teef earnings for the month
Baron Wastelands:  16
Adamscurr:  5
OD from TV:  20
Dralith: -28
Skeetergod:  80
Respekt:  15
Ork E Nuff...   0
Ginger Farseer:  33
Travisb7:  25

Congrats to everyone.  And please remember to be careful what you pledge.   ::)   It is a good day to be green.

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2012, 01:12:56 PM »
Well done to everyone, loads of teef earns this month!  ;D

AOD of interest, how do you score how many teef are earnt? I know it is different for converted and scratch built models, and presumably for different sizes, but what are the specifics?

What if by 'fly you fools'  Gandalf was actually telling the fellowship to call the eagles and fly to Mordor?

+++Melon melon melon+++

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2012, 02:44:17 PM »
Well done to everyone, loads of teef earns this month!  ;D

AOD of interest, how do you score how many teef are earnt? I know it is different for converted and scratch built models, and presumably for different sizes, but what are the specifics?

I used my super secret ork decoder ring...   
actually it was kinda straight forward
5 teef for 10 boyz (equivalent), regular size vehicles, squads of bikes, buggies, deff koptas or kans, and dread or dreadsize.
10 teef for larger mostly battlewagons in this category unless it is a really really big walker large scale mega dread
since we had nothing this month that went bigger than that it was fairly easy
3 teef for character models
Full conversions where almost all the model was konverted in the competition itself got double the appropriate teef.

Deductions were made at half the teef amount that could have been earned, for uncompleted pledges.

And there was some rounding involved as well.    If i messed anything up feel free to PM me as the toof gremlin..   i mean orkounant has been breathing down my back.   

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2012, 03:11:28 PM »
It was a good time...  I ended up not being able to go to my tournament, which was a major bummer for me and took away my motivation to finish me pledge...  I am happy though that I got the big stuff done! lol

Adam

Offline Ginger farseer

• Ork Yoof
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2012, 03:19:20 PM »
Everything seems about right (I just had a quick glance), I was just planning what I should prioritise  before the next junkyard event, hoping that it would leave me with the stuff I can paint fastest for most teef next time. (anything to get a few more teef). in reality, I will probabally just paint in my usual haphazard way, but it feels good to plan a bit for a change.

Oh, and thank you to all the bosses, especially AOD for organising this event.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 03:21:20 PM by Ginger farseer »

+++Melon melon melon+++

Offline wfcxleatherneck

• 46TH T.O.S. Liberators
  • Armies: IG,Tyranids,Dark Angels, and Orks
« Reply #75 on: December 4, 2012, 09:04:29 PM »
Adam I love your conversion on that dakka jet. Makes me want to pick up the kit knowing that if you are brave enough you can make two jets outa one kit.

Im sorry though I really dont like that base. Makes me think of when I was a kid, and my conversions were just pileing things on. Its just TO much going on which sadly is like a blemish on a beautiful work of art. Please dont take offense just thought I would give you some feedback. Jet is something else

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #76 on: December 5, 2012, 08:25:41 AM »
Psssst!!! (looks around to see if anyone is watching, holds hand next to mouth so no one can see what is said) that was OD from TV that converted the two jets, you know the BIG boss with the big boss pole. (looks around innocently like nothing happened).
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

Offline adamscurr

« Reply #77 on: December 5, 2012, 05:13:24 PM »
What...  You don't think it was my incredible design on my dakka jet that made him think it could be made into two...  Don't steal my glory!!! lol

Seriously though, it was Od...  I did think it... Odd, that I was given credit for it...  lol   Sorry...  Couldn't help the pun!

Adam

Offline OD from TV

• Ork Warlord | Title of Doom status: pending | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • OD's Project Blog
« Reply #78 on: December 5, 2012, 09:51:26 PM »
Yeah yeah yeah, funning aside, this is thred-necro.

Nevertheless thankyou for your comment wfcxleatherneck.  As for the base itself, yes it is overcomplicated, nevertheless I have never before attempted a "scenic" base, and to that end I think it was an amazing success, as well as it putting me over the top on my lgs's and lgw's ruling on 70-75% or above GW product to use it in store.

Peace
~OD

Post Script: Everyone be on the lookout for the next Junkyard Event, and if you can't wait, there is the Saint Snik model building competition currently going on.

[mod]Actually it isn't necromancy - just because the event is done doesn't mean the thread is and the time between replies falls within our forum rules - Changeyname[/mod]
« Last Edit: December 6, 2012, 01:36:35 AM by Changeyname »
Truly beautiful work. That's the kind of stuff that makes a true mekanik cry tears of joy.
OD, you once again prove that your are still the freakin Da Vinci of plasticard