News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals, The Galahadain vs Orks  (Read 2236 times)

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals, The Galahadain vs Orks
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:19:42 PM »
The Galahadain had had a difficult beginning to the tournament.  Their force consisted of the following units from Codex: Space Marines:
  Librarian w/ Terminator Armor, Storm Shield, Null Zone and Vortex of Doom
  3x Tactical Squads wi/
    7x Bolters
    1x Melta Gun
    1x Multi-Melta
    1x Sergeant with Powerfist and Combi-Weapon (Flamers x2, Melta Gun x1)
    1x Rhino
  Terminator Assault Squad w/
    6x Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield
    4x Pair of Lightning Claws
    1x Dedicated Transport, Land Raider Crusader w/ Multi-Melta
  Terminator Squad w/
    3x Storm Bolter & Powerfist
    1x Heavy Flamer & Powerfist
    1x Sergeant w/ Storm Bolter & Power Weapon
    1x Dedicated Transport, Land Raider Crusader w/ Multi-Melta
  Land Raider Crusader w/ Multi-Melta
  2x Vindicators w/ Dozer Blades

The second scenario was Night Fight the entire battle.  This time I was up against an Ork hord that looked like this:
  Ghazghkull Thraka (in BW)
  Warboss on a bike w/ PK
  Meganobz x10 w/ PKs and 3x Rokkit Launchas, Kombi-Skorchas, & T-L Shootas each (in BW)
  Battlewagon w/ Armor Plates, Big Shoota, & Deff Rolla
  Nob Squad on Warbikes w/ various weaponry and Cybork Bodies plus Painboy
  2x Slugga Boyz Squads each w/ 30 Boyz including PK Nob
  2x Shoota Boyz Squads each w/ 30 Boyz including PK Nob

This scenario was a Pitched battle deployment with six Objectives, only three of which were 'real', but which ones those were was only made clear randomly on Turns 2, 4, and 6 (or whatever the last turn of the game was if six turns weren't able to be played).

I deployed first with two Combat Squaded Tactical Squads and their Rhinos.  He then deployed his entire force spread out back near his own table edge.

On my first turn, I brought everything in.  I rolled well enough to see his Shoota unit on my far left and killed a single Boy.  It brought images of The Two Towers to mind, when the old man in Helms Deep couldn't hold his bowstring taught until the order to fire was given.  His early shot killed a single Uruk Hai and, after an initial moment of shock, enraged the rest of the hord.  ;D

Over the course of the first few Turns, he advanced his forces slowly and I advanced a bit to get range, then retreated a little to stay out of his Waagh plus charge range.  I managed a beautiful couple of hits with the Demolisher Cannon on his Warbiker squad and destroyed his Battlewagon with a sortie by a Combat Squad in a Rhino with a Melta Gun and a Combi-Melta.  He blew up one of my Vindicators with a lucky Rokkit shot, but things looked good for me at this point.  I held the first valid objective with three of my Combat Squads on my own right flank.

Unfortunately for me, his Warbikers and his Nobs w/ Ghazghkull proved largely impervious to any more of my shooting.  They made it to my line of Combat Squads claiming the valid objective in the center of the table and also to the unknown objective in the center of the table which I had three other Combat Squads trying desperately to protect.

He assaulted one of my LRCs and the Boyz were too much for my Assault Terminators inside.  His Warbikers also beat my other Assault Terminator Combat Squad.  Edit: Now that I think about it, I don't ever recall disembarking that second squad of Assault Terminators.  I think I may have royally messed up as they could have held up those Warbikers for a Turn at the very least. Ahh!  :'(  I made a desperate assault in the fourth, and final, Turn with my third LRC, Librarian, and Terminator Squad onto the Objective claimed by his Boyz back on his own right flank.  I hoped that I could do enough damage to them to cause them to break and run, but had no such luck.  I also raced a single Rhino onto the objective in the center near his own table edge, and the other two  Rhinos up the hill to the objective on his left flank.

I also tried to Run one of my Tactical Combat Squads around the LRC to within claiming range of the sixth objective unseen behind the LRC's left rear corner in the last picture below.

The final valid Objective turned out to be the one my two Rhinos were contesting on top of the hill in the NE corner of the table.  Since all three valid Objectives were contested, it came down to Kill Points.  In that area, he claimed a Minor Victory.  :-\

I should have used my Combat Squads as speed bumps more effectively.  If I had done that, I could have kept both of his Nobs Squads away from two of the valid Objectives and won a Massacre for myself.

NewHeretic
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:16:24 PM by NewHeretic »
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
Re: 'Ard Boyz Semi-Finals, The Galahadain vs Orks
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »
Wow. That was a tough game. Sounds like you know what you should have done but hindsight is always 20/20, right? Still, you kept him at a minor victory by contesting all objectives.

Offline McNulty

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 09:29:42 PM »
Great game, sorry you lost. I think one thing to focus on would be target priority, which would mean using your termies to conduct surgical strikes against the most threatening units, such as the bikers and meganobs.
"'Mr. Bond, they have a saying in Chicago:
     "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Third time it's enemy action.
  Miami, Sandwich, and now Geneva. I propose to wring the truth out of you. Oddjob, The Pressure Room.'" -Goldfinger
Why are you using the 'enter' key instead of punctuation? It's a little hard to follow your post.

Offline BattleMaster Zebrez

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:38:29 PM »
NH, there's nothing like playing a great game only to end up tied or beaten.  This was a good looking battle report and was fun to enjoy.  Much luck in the future ;D
A Brief Glimpse Into My Mind

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 10:19:24 AM »
Good report NewHeretic, I love seeing the Galahadain in action.

Man, this mission was so bogus though!  Night fight for the whole game seems to favor a certain type of army...  Plus the random objective thing was just ludicrous.

Do you think you would have played it differently if it hadn't been night fight?
\

Offline NewHeretic

• Same Heretic, New God | Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »
Good report NewHeretic, I love seeing the Galahadain in action.

Man, this mission was so bogus though!  Night fight for the whole game seems to favor a certain type of army...  Plus the random objective thing was just ludicrous.

Do you think you would have played it differently if it hadn't been night fight?

Actually, Night Fight all game didn't bother me at all.  99% of the weapons in my army list are 24" and I don't have a single gun with a longer range than that.  I did hope that I wouldn't get paired with a close combat army like Orks or 'Nids for that battle, but of course, I did.

What really hurt me was the random Objectives rule.  Because I was up against a hord army, I knew we wouldn't likely get a full six Turns in.  That meant that I needed to be spread out all over the board from the beginning of the battle not knowing where the real objectives were.  As a result, I was not able to utilize the Denied Flank tactic that I prefer with this highly mobile list.  That, I believe, is what hurt me the most.  (Well, that and forgetting to disembark my Assault Terminator Squad to assult the Nob Bikers.  ::))

NewHeretic
Good advice from Joshua:

Choose you this day
Whom you will serve...
As for me and my house,
We will serve the Lord.

NewHeretic, forum policeman.

Offline McNulty

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 05:22:46 PM »
I agree, that type of mission really screws with lists that rely on mobility to strangle one part of a slow enemy army.
"'Mr. Bond, they have a saying in Chicago:
     "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Third time it's enemy action.
  Miami, Sandwich, and now Geneva. I propose to wring the truth out of you. Oddjob, The Pressure Room.'" -Goldfinger
Why are you using the 'enter' key instead of punctuation? It's a little hard to follow your post.

Offline ImmortalHunter

• Fear the Psyker, kill the mutant!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 03:55:57 AM »
The mission does seem to be geared towards Tau...

Ah well, nice batrep all the same.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 09:53:26 PM »
Nice game, and time limits SUCK... they often screw certain armies due to their late game potential.. (like Mech almost anything vs a Horde).

Thanks for sharing though... Pics were nice.

Cheers
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering