News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1,850 Saim-Hann vs Tyranid horde  (Read 4343 times)

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
1,850 Saim-Hann vs Tyranid horde
« on: October 28, 2008, 12:48:19 PM »
This was my last game in the escalation league and I got to play against the 3rd place Tyranid army.

Eldar army listed in order of appearance
130   Farseer Nayr-  Jetibike, Runes of Warding and fortune
420   warlocks - 8; 2 embolden, 2 enhance & 2 destructor
145   Fire Dragons - 8; Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot
130     Wave Serpent; twin linked EML and stones
150   Fire Prism; holo-fields
150   Fire Prism; holo-fields
      reserves
130   Autarch Elocin- Jetbike, Laserlance and Fusion gun
237   Shining Spears - 5; Exarch with Withdraw, starlance and skilled rider
205   Jetbikes - 7; 2 Shuriken Cannons, warlock with embolden & spear
153   Jetbikes - 5; 1 Shuriken Cannon, Warlock with Destructor
1,850    2 scoring units
Tyranid army listed in order of setup L to R and appearance
  48   Termagaunts - 8; fleshboreres   
102   Warriors - 3; scything talons, toxin sacs, ext carpace, 3 deathspitters
168   Genestealer - 8; extended carpace, feeder tendrils   
  65        Zoanthrope; Warp Blast, Synapse Creature   
244   Carnifex; str 10, T 7, 5 wounds, regenerate, scy talons, crushing claws, tusked, bio-plasma, +1 WS and toxic miasm   
  80   Spinegaunts - 10; spinefists, without number   
152   Hive Tyrant - toxin sacs, toxic miasm, two twin-linked devourers, warp field   
153   Carnifex; enhanced senses, twin-linked venom cannon   
107   Warriors - 3; scything talons, toxin sacs, ext carpace, 2 deathspitters, 1 barbed strangler   
  54   Termagaunts - 9; fleshboreres   
147   Genestealer - 7; extended carpace, feeder tendrils   
      infiltrating
  93   Broodlord; toxin sacs, ext carpace, flesh hooks   
105      Genstealer retinue - 5; ext carpace, flesh hooks   
      reserves
  50   Ravaner; scy talons and rending claws, devourer   
100   Ravaners - 2; scy talons and rending claws, devourer   
  50   Ravaner; scy talons and rending claws, devourer   
 1,848     5 scoring units

Thankfully I’m not Dark Angels!

Seize ground mission and pitched battle deployment.  The objectives used are circled red in the pictures.  One is a small Eldar warp gate and the other is an epic Farseer on a Vyper.  The Tyranid player chose the Farseer on Vyper saying, “This one looks delicious”.  Click on the pictures to get a larger view.

The wise Seers of the Saim-Hann Craftworld foresaw a large force of Tyranids to the frozen North near a small Eldar Warp Gate.  The Gate, though small, must be protected.  The Seers sent Farseer Nayr and Autarch Elocin to guard the make sure the Gate stayed safe.  Foreseeing that the Tyranids had little anti-tank weapons, the Seers ordered that Farseer Nayr and his warlocks lead the battle with the Fire Dragons in their Wave Serpent and a pair of Fire Prisms to soften the Tyranid numbers.  Autarch Elocin would lead the Shinning Spears to strike the weakened foe and the guardian jetbike squads would hold the Gate and any other Eldar items in the area, though the Gate was the most important.  Once they got to the battlefield, Farseer Nayr noticed that there was one other Eldar item that the Tyrandis had already found – what appeared to be a child’s toy left behind years ago.  “Geez,” he thought, “these creatures are dumber than I thought.  They go after a child’s toy first and then a Warp Gate.”

Setup
Tyranid player won the roll of and decided to go first, selecting the side with the ruins in the deployment zone.  The Tyranid objective was placed near the wrecked space craft on my right and completely out in the open.  I placed my objective in the middle of my table edge behind the ruins to provide cover for my holding unit.  Tyranids stretch out across the deployment zone, not wanting to bunch up and get destroyed by my Fire Prisms.  The barbed strangler warrior group deploys a foot away from the objective next to the ruin with the vcFex. 

I knew the Tyranid army did not have much it could do against my tanks, so I deployed the Wave Serpent and two Fire Prisms.  The vcFex would most likely shake my Wave Serpent, and from the last game vs this opponent I knew he would not be using a focused warp blast as long as my Farseer was around.  Finally the Runes of Warding come in handy!  I deployed my HQ just because I wanted to get fortune working as soon as possible.  Plus, I had to give my opponent something to target.  I deploy my Farseer and warlocks on my objective behind the ruins and out of sight of the Zoanthropes, the wave serpent on the right, hiding behind the building and my two Fire Prisms on the far left, out of the range of the Venom Cannon Carnifex [vcFex] and hopefully draw some Tyranids away from the Warp Gate.

Lastly, the Broodlord and his retinue infiltrate into the bottom floor of the building on my right.  After I set up. I pointed out which units were in reserves and that the Autarch joined the Shinning Spears and would come in with them.  I asked if he had any infiltrators or reseverves and he only mentioned the broodlord and retinue.  He did not mention that he was deep striking the 3 broods of raveners, and he did not bring an army list.  He’s an honest player, so I trusted him that this was 1,850 points and didn’t try to calculate it on my own.  My other army is Nids and I know it can be tough to recalculate when you leave your list at home.

I chose to seize the initiative and got it.  This is something I usually don’t do, but I wanted to soften the lines and get my fortune working fast.

Eldar Turn 1
The wave serpent moves from behind the bunker to blast the Genestealer hiding in the building as Farseer Nayr fortunes his warlocks and leads them over toward the right side of the battle.  The wave serpent pilot is so surprised to find the Genestealer all bunched up that he misses them completely! The small blast went far wide and I forgot it was twin-linked.  The Fire Prisms had better luck, taking out 2 Genestealer in the left brood and 1 from the far right brood, all the way across the battlefield.  The casualties would have been higher if not for the cover.  Farseer Nayr and warlocks continue a little more to the right to draw out the Broodlord.

Tyranid Turn 1
Everything moves forward, with the vcFex moving into cover on the first floor of the ruins and the warriors moving to the second floor. He actually had to put the carnifex on the top floor because he wouldn’t fit on the bottom, he just counted as being on the first floor.  The vcFex and the warriors in the ruins shot at the wave serpent, but were unable to harm the craft.  The brood of warriors to the left fired at a Fire Prism, but were unable to harm it as well.  The Broodlord and his retinue came out of the building and moved to engage the wave serpent and everything that could run did.  The Broodlord and the brood of Genestealer assault the wave serpent, but only the Broodlord is able to shake the crew.

Eldar Turn 2
Autarch Elocin, the Shinning Spears and the 7 man jetbike squad join the battle on the right side to help Farseer Nayr cripple the flank of Tyranids.  The Wave Serpent pilot was so shaken by the Broodlord’s hit that he moves full speed ahead near the Tyranid’s abandoned objective.  The warlocks with destructor roast the all of the Broodlord’s retinue and cause a wound on the Broodlord.  The Shinning Spears and 7 man jetbike squad fired at the Genestealer killing 5, but the vermin refuse to fall back.  The Fire Prisms killed 2 gaunts on the left and missed a shot at the middle Zoanthrope.  Farseer Nayr led the assault on the Broodlord, telling the Shinning Spears and 7 man jetbike squad to fall back a little and to spread out to avoid the blast weapons coming their way.  The Broodlord got into a defensive position and was able to kill Farseer Nayr as soon as he was within range.  Only three of the warlocks were able to attack the Broodlord and managed to take 1 more wound off him.  Even though they lost Farseer Nayr, the were determined to slay the Broodlord and avenge their fallen leader. 

Opps, I was so focused on getting my Farseer into battle to help that I forgot the Broodlord had str 6 and ignores armor saves in combat.  I failed 1 of my 2 saves and had to remove him.  My opponent was surprised too, but happy it turned out in his favor.  We weren’t sure if the warlock to the left of the Farseer could attack the Broodlord because he was more than 2” away from another warlock.  I was tempted to use the firedragons against the genestealer brood, especially since they were lined up so nicely for my heavy flamer, but decided to move them farther back and go after the warriors and monstrous creatures in the back.  I think the best move would have been to park near the building and have the Fire Dragons kill the Zoanthrope and have the Wave Serpent block LOS to the Warriors in the ruin.

Tyranid Turn 2
He starts rolling for reserves and I ask him what he’s got, because he didn’t mention anything.  He informs me that he has 3 broods of Ravaners with devourers and rending claws.  I asked him if he has any out flanking Genestealer and he said no.  I then breathed a sigh of relief.  Only one ravaner comes in and he starts to deep strike it (I can’t remember where though).  I point out to him that you have to declare deep striking/out flanking when you declare reserves.  If you don’t declare them as deep striking, then they come in off your table edge.  I feel mean for doing this, but I fully expect my opponents to do the same for me.  I even told him before the game that if I forget to use my psychic power before moving any models, don’t let me use it.  I need to remember the order and face consequences if I make the mistake.  He agreed to bring them off the board edge and apologized for not mentioning them during the setup.  I think it actually helped him though, because my deep striking zoanthropes ravaners usually are killed the next turn. 

So, back to the battle report.  A Ravaner shows up near the Tyranid objective and sets its sights on the Wave Serpent as the rest of the army moves forward.  The Tyranids are now separated into 3 forces.  On the left the termagaunts, warrior brood of all deathspitters and a Zoanthrope move around the left of the ruin near the Fire Prisms.  The monster carnifex, middle Zoanthrope, Genestealer and spinegaunts are in the middle headed toward the Warp Gate.  The Warrior brood with the barbed strangler has come out of the ruins and is near the Hive Tyrant, all eyeing the Wave Serpent.  The other termagaunts and Zoanthrope are on the right, providing support to the Broodlord and remaining Genestealer.  The right Zoanthrope sent a large bolt toward the Wave Serpent, but it went wide.  The vcFex followed suit, but also missed the slick Eldar craft.  The Warriors had better luck and managed to shake the crew of the Wave Serpent.   The middle Zoanthrope sends a blast toward the Shinning Spears, but misses them.  Everything else runs to get a better position.  The lone Ravaner assaulted the Wave Serpent, but fails to damage it.  The Termagaunts and Genestealers join in combat against the warlocks.  The Genestealers managed to kill one warlock, though the Broodlord was not able to make it past the ruin armor.  In return, the majority of the warlocks focused their attacks against the Termagaunts, with only a couple attacking the Broodlord and Genestealers.  The warlocks killed 6 Termagaunts, and the last remaining Termagaunt was unable to damage the warlocks.  Fueled by their victory, the warlocks killed the remaining Termagaunt, Broodlord and both Genestealers, and then consolidated toward the ruin. 

Now that’s how it’s supposed to go.  Kill the squishy unit and make all the other units take extra wounds.  Because they were fearless from the Broodlord, each unit had to take 5 more wounds, which wound up killing them all. GO WARLOCKS!!!
« Last Edit: November 1, 2008, 02:13:48 PM by GoofyCommy »

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
Re: 1,850 Saim-Hann vs Tyranid horde
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
Eldar Turn 3
The 5 man jetbike came in to the left to help the Fire Prisms and managed to put a wound on a Warrior with their shuriken cannon. The Wave Serpent tank shocks the Ravaner, but it is smart enough to get out of the way.  The Fire Dragons stay inside their ride as the Warlocks moved to engage the Hive Tyrant.  The Shinning Spears moved toward the Warp Gate, trying to stay away from the Spinegaunts, but close enough to assault the monster Fex should they need to.  The 7 man jetbike squad moved up to take out the Zoanthrope, managing to wound it with their shuriken fire.  The warlocks were able to get 1 wound on the Hive Tyrant and kill one Warrior with the destructors.  The Fire Prisms killed 2 Spinegaunts and 2 Genestealers.  The Warlocks assaulted the Hive Tyrant and Warriors, causing three wounds to the warriors and taking none in return.  Driven by their anger from the loss of  Farseer Nayr, they wounded the Hive Tyrant and killed the remaining Warrior.  The 7 man jetbike squad assaulted the Zoanthrope, causing 1 wound and taking no wounds, but the Zoanthrope stayed in battle. 

I’m beginning to love that the Tyranids automatically pass morale checks.  I wanted to give the 5 man jetbike squad something to shoot and put them far away from the monster Fex.  Hopefully I could draw some attention and then boost to the objective in later turns.  My other option was to put them in over to the right of the spears to shoot at the Spineguants, but that would have drawn his whole force to my objective and I didn’t want the without number Spinegaunts to die just yet.  I figured it wouldn’t hurt to tank shock the Ravaner, maybe I’d get lucky and force him off the board. He only had about 4% chance to live if he decided to Death or Glory. 

Tyranid Turn 3
The remaining broods of Ravaners came in off the table edge near the Wave Serpent and move to engage the Jetbikes.  We ruled that he didn’t have to roll to move them on since they were out of synapse range and off the table.  The Spinegaunts and middle Zoanthrope moved toward the Shinning Spears, but the Zoanthrope missed them with its blast.  The monster Fex moved closer to the Fire Prisms, along with the left flank.  The warriors and Zoanthrope on the left were able to shake both Fire Prisms, but the Termagaunts were not able to fire at the Jetbikes.  The vcFex was unable to hit the Wave Serpent, as the remaining 4 Genestealers in the middle moved toward the Warlocks to help the Hive tyrant.  In combat, the Genestealers and Hive Tyrant killed 2 warlocks, but the warlocks were able to kill 2 Genestealers and cause a wound to the Hive Tyrant.  Still fueled by hatred, the Warlocks killed another Genestealer.  All of the Ravaners were able to assault the Jetbikes and wound up killing one and taking no loses.  The Jetbikes were scared by the sudden rush and turned to flee, but were slaughtered by the Ravaners.

As soon as he moved on the Ravaners, I realized that I should have held my Jetbikes back last turn instead of assaulting the Zoanthrope.  I pounced too early and paid the price.  I failed both leadership checks by rolling an 8 and then an 11 on the re-roll.  Both of us were amazed that I failed, and more amazed that his first roll for sweeping advance was enough to kill the whole unit.  I guess that makes up for all the extra wounds I was getting due to winning combat.

Eldar Turn 4
The Fire Prisms moved up to provide cover for the Jetbikes as the 5 man jetbike squad killed 5 termagaunts before moving back behind the Fire Prisms.  The Wave Serpent finally droped off the Fire Dragons, who poured all their fusion guns into the vcFex on the first floor and killed it. It was not in cover because the ruin is not based – we both were aware of this before the game.  Autarch Elocin left the Shinning Spears in order to get a shot on the Zoanthrope, but was unable to wound it.  Of course, I needed a 2+ to wound and rolled a 1.  The Wave Serpent tried to fire at the Zoanthrope, but missed.  The Shinning Spears and Autarch Elocin (still a separate unit) moved back away from the Tyranids.  The Warlocks managed to kill the last Genestealer, but 3 died by the hands of the Hive Tyrant, leaving only 1 warlock with enhance and 1 with embolden.  The remaining Warlocks were determined to kill the Hive Tyrant and stayed in the fight.

Tyranid Turn 4
The Zoanthrope on the right moved toward the Fire Dragons and killed 5 of them with its Warp Blast, but they did not run.  One of the Zoanthropes moved to join in the long combat with the Hive Tyrant, as the other two Zoanthropes moved with the Spinegaunts to attack Autarch Elocin.  On the far side of the battlefield, the Tyranids move to surround the Eldar.  The Zoanthrope took a wound due to Perils of the Warp trying to send a large bolt at a Fire Prism, and the Warriors mangaged to scatter their shots hitting both Fire Prims and a jetbike.  Unfortunately for the Tyranids, no damage was caused.  We both got a laugh at the wild scattering though.  In combat Autarch Elocin killed 2 Spinegaunts and took no wounds.  Angry that she was jumped, she managed to cause a wound on a ravaner and kill 2 more Spinegaunts.  The ongoing combat with the Hive Tyrant continued as neither side was able to cause any wounds. 

Eldar Turn 5
My plan had worked!  The left flank was now out of reach of my objective.  Now to move my jetbikes back and score a victory, should the game end this turn. 
The Wave Serpent moves over the Tyranid objective to block it incase more Tyranids came in to capture it, as the Fire Dragons moved forward and killed the right Zoanthrope.  Autarch Elocin shouted at the Shinning Spears to move toward the Zoanthrope and protect the Gate as she held the Tyranids.  On the left side, the Jetbikes turbo boosted back toward the Gate, but were just short of it.  The Fire Prisms moved to block the left flank of Tyranids.  One had to move flat out to block, while the other was able to kill the remaining Termagaunts.  The Shinning Spears easily killed the Zoanthrope in combat and consolidated near the Warp Gate.  Autarch Elocin focused on the Ravaners, but did not wound any.  She took one wound in return, but she stayed in combat to hold the Tyranids at bay.  The Warlocks died by the claws of the Hive Tyrant, who consolidated toward the isolated Fire Dragons.

Tyranid Turn 5
The Hive Tyrant opened fire and killed the Fire Dragons as the Ravaner moves over to support the Hive Tyrant.  The painted Ravaner is a bit confused (out of synapse), but manages to come to its senses and joined in the combat to kill the Eldar leader.  Now near the middle, the Warriors and Zoanthrope fired at the jetbike squad, killing 2, but the Jetbikes stay to guard the Gate.  The carnifex charges the closest Fire Prism, but manages to miss it with its few attacks.  Autarch Elocin hits the wounded Ravaner and a Spinegaunt, but is unable to piece their hide.  She took no damage and the combat continued. 

Eldar Turn 6
The Wave Serpent moves off the objective and away from the Hive Tyrant and is able to put a wound on the Ravaner with its guns.  The Jetbikes moved to capture the Warp Gate and the Fire Prisms fired into the Warriors, killing 1 and wounding another, but were not able to kill the Zoanthrope.  Autarch Elocin told the Shinning Spears to protect the Jetbikes as she held the Tyranids.  She died shortly after to the claws of the Ravaners, who proceeded to advance on the spears.

I was tempted to have the Shinning Spears join in the combat, but I didn’t want to kill the Spinegaunts and have them come in on the now open objective.  I was shocked that the Autarch finally died and was afraid that he might be able to shoot down my remaining jetbikes for a draw game.

Tyranid Turn 6
The Hive Tyrant and Ravaner continued their advance on the Wave Serpent, but were unable to harm it.  Closer to the Warp Gate and no longer in Synapse range, the Spinegaunts decided not to move.  The brood of two Ravaners fleed to the safety of the Hive Tyrant, as the last Ravaner near the Eldar moved toward the Shinning Spears.  The remaining Eldar force was now surrounded by Tyranids.  The last Warrior shot the jetbikes, but it drifted toward the Shinning Spears and killed one.  The Zoanthrope sent a blast toward the jetbikes, but it went wide as well and did not hit any Eldar.  The Spinegaunts and Ravaner shot the Shinning Spears, but did not kill any of them.  In a last attempt to sieze the Warp Gate, the Tyranids charged forward.  The Carnifex assaulted a Fire Prim and stunned it crew.  The Spinegaunts and Ravaner charged into the Shinning Spears, but that only resulted in the death of 3 Spinegaunts.  The Ravaner stayed in combat, but the Spinegaunts ran back toward the Hive Tyrant.

A couple mistakes were made that turn.  After the battle, my opponent mentioned he should have shot at the Jetbikes instead of the Spears.  Also, I just realized that the gaunts should have fled toward the Warrior.  This would have brought them within 3” of the Warp Gate, but I’m not sure if they would have been within 12” of synapse to regroup.  I also can’t remember if they regroup that turn or next.

The game ended here with the Eldar winning by securing their objective and the Tyranids holding none.  We both had fun through the whole game and felt it was close every turn.  Well done to my opponent and I look forward to our next game.

Offline Sanctjud, Holder of the Gold Medal in Pedolypics.

• No one cares about Sanctjud's post count | Infinity Circuit
  • Absolute Chaos and SOLAR PUPPY
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:19:44 PM »
Congratz, lots of dynamic movement.

Your opponent spread out and focused on killing stuff that really didn't matter that much, and should have consolidated and move toward objectives.
Also, he brough a tooled out CC fex.... if he just slapped on another gun, he could have shot that last squad of jetbikes.

I personally don't like having only 2 Troop choices at 1850, nor do I think Highly of it, but that's just the standards at my gaming group, obviously they are different in your area.

Anyway, clearly typed out, nice pics and lots of comments...

Deepstriking Zoenthrope? Now that would be awesome...if it were legal......... :D

My 7 Cents.
If you meet a bear named Sanctjud in the tavern, don't get into his van for candy.  I did once....it's sticky, salty, and really not very nice. :(
Raptor Jesus will get you Tangi... oh he will.

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 01:34:21 PM »
Oops, thanks for the notice about "Zoanthropes" Suctjud.  I changed it to Ravaners.

I mentioned to my opponent after the game that he would have done a lot better to only deploy on half the board and go after the objectives.  He was just too afriad of the Fire Prism's that he didn't want to bunch up.  Now that he knows little damage they can do because of cover, I don't think he'll make that mistake again.  I too feel that his monster fex was a little too big, but he wanted to have some fun with it like he has in previous games. 

Yeah, I hear you about 2 troops in 1,850. I was iffy about it, especially with one being a 5 man jetbike squad without embolden, but wanted to see how it would do.  I also have a hard time deciding what to take out and replace with a troop.  I can drop the Fire dragons and put in an 11 man squad of storm guardians with 2 flamers and a destructor warlock. 

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
Quote from: GoofyCommy
Yeah, I hear you about 2 troops in 1,850. I was iffy about it, especially with one being a 5 man jetbike squad without embolden, but wanted to see how it would do.  I also have a hard time deciding what to take out and replace with a troop.  I can drop the Fire dragons and put in an 11 man squad of storm guardians with 2 flamers and a destructor warlock. 
If you can manage AT with the remaining of your force it may be the wisest thing to do, that or a squad of Avengers, but I like 3 Template squad concept...

A nice, well written and pic detailed batrep dude, I enjoyed it very much. As Sanctjud said, lot of dynamic movement. You lost your big Jetbike squad to the Raveners that just came in (Beast + Fleet + Charge move is scary) because they were locked in CC with the Zoanthrope.
   However, I was surprised that you sent your SS toward the center to protect the Objective (where they did nothing in the end) but I think you could have easily wiped out the gribbly with the Spears instead, consolidating back easily out of any CC threat and thus preserving the Jetbikes for further rounds of Shurican goodness.

All in all a nice victory tied together with a good plan, although the low number of Troops was almost your undoing.

Keep it up!

Starky :)

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 02:47:11 PM »
The Turn 2 plastering of the Broodlord was excellent and really showcased the "Beat the Weak" style of CC that should be used in many cases.

The Turn 3, running of the 7 Jetbikes was apalling, and they fail their Embolden test too ! Oouch (thats like a kick in the balls with a frozen Mukluk).

Turn 4 was crazy how your Autarch got jumped, and lived... FD's get plastered but stay in for the long haul...  too funny.

Turn 5-6 were weird and crazy... sounded fun though... Wondered why you ddin't Withdraw the Spears to set-up for turn 7?...

The pics were great, seriously great... as you gave lots of them and the two armies had some nice paint happening (obviously the battle was on a snow covered planet, etc, etc.. ) No seriously this was a great BatRep, and I hope that you make it into the top 4 for the escalation...

Congrats on a Victory, and another great batRep.

Suggestion for 3rd Troop unit... fire in more JB's and beef up the Council by dropping the FD's... Here is how I did it.

(140) Autarch; Jetbike, Laserlance, Mandiblaster, & fusion gun
(185) Fasrseer on JB: Ruins of Warding, Ruins of Witness, stones, fortune
and doom. Saim-Lir is a family Matriarch, and was once the protector of the legandary artifact "Cerwandas"... she was disgraced when she lost the artifact; and has since set out on a pth to recover it from the faction of races that she believes has it.... She travels with her personnal guard, and they are ruthless and barbaric to he extreme, often to the point of being over-aggressive or reckless.
   (455) Warlocks on JB - 9:  4 embolden, 2 enhance

(205) Jetbikes - 7; 2 Shuriken Cannons, warlock with embolden and Spear 
(156) Jetbikes - 5; 1 Shuriken Cannon, Warlock with Destructor and Spear
(152) Jetbikes - 6: 2 Shuriken Cannons.

(237) Shining Spears - 5: Exarch with shuri-cannon, skilled
rider, and Withdraw.

(160) Fireprism: Holo-field and Stones.
(160) Fireprism: Holo-field and Stones.

Totals 1850pts, 3 scoring units, 9 KP's, 36 figures (24 Jetbikes).

(for 2K, and add 2 Vypers with EML/Shuri-can each)... Anyway, those are gust thoughts, as I love FD's too; but find that the council and PF's etc can cover off for them; and you often need that Troop unit to score.

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:08:14 PM »
wow goofy awsome report! i really enjoyed reading this and as moc said your two armys were fantastic!

Now personly i wouldnt drop the FD's, then again look who this is coming from the guy who uses fuegan like no tomorrow and loves to force his FD's to try new things. crack shot+ marines= GOO ;D

id be tempted to scale down the warlocks a bit becasue i truly think you need sone more troops
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 03:11:03 PM »
True enough IG; 4 Warlocks and a few minor drops here and there = 5-6 FD's and Serpent... Council woudl still do well enough too.

Good eye...

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline IGBunker (-Hela - Finnail-)

• Ork Boy | Infinity Circuit
  • Fear not the death Brothers.forshe is old and slow
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 03:21:45 PM »
i know im getting a little off topic but you could try 6 FD's in a falcon with EML and pulse (or BL and pulse) id rather this then in the wave serpent.
Guant "Men on tanith do you wish to live forever!?!"

Formaly and now know as Hela- Finnail

W/L/D since Oct 2010
Saim hann eldar- 4-0-1
Trench guard- (On hold)
Guard armoured company- 1-0-0

Offline GoofyCommy

• Infinity Circuit
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 03:38:39 PM »
@ Moc - your list is very similar to mine, except you have a beefed up farseer, 1 more warlock, 6 more jetbikes and no fire dragons.  The easiest change for me would be to swap the Fire Dragons for the guardian storm, as I didn't really need all the melta guns in this league.  I faced orks, chaos, more orks and tyranids.  I didn't get a chance to play the Tau.  The fire dragons shine against them.  Bye-bye battle suits and fire warriors.  But then again, I almost faced this army if the Tyranid player hadn't shown up.

The Fire Dragons would be very useful vs the Dark Angels.  I also only have 1 more jetbike model.  For my next purchase, I'm leaning toward a shuriken cannon bike to make the 5 man squad a 7 man squad.

Fire Dragons
In this game I didn't really use the Fire Dragons except to kill the carnifex that was hiding in the back and not really doing anything.  All he had was 2 twin-linked str 10 ap 4 shots - which would not have done much vs my army.  I would have been better off keeping the FDs closer to the objective, maybe blocking a route to it and having the FDs kill the monster fex and some warriors.

Shinning Spears
At the end of turn 6 I forgot to withdraw the Spears.  I was eager to get going home because I had things to do.

I really wanted to wipe out the ravaners and gaunts like Starky mentioned, but they had without number, meaning that they would have come in on the Tyranid objective next turn.  It didn't look like the Spears really did anything all battle, but I'll bet my opponent thinks otherwise.  I kept them near to the objective to keep the monster fex off it.  Should he have moved it up, I would have been on him quickly.  Instead, he decided to move the carnifex away from the objective and toward my jetbikes.  The shinning spears also drew fire from the jetbikes in the last turn and prevented the jetbike from getting assaulted.  Even if I had a draw, it would been because I stopped his 5 scoring units from scoring.

Now that the league is in finals maybe I'll get back to painting now that I don't have to spend time writing battle reports ;D   I've got to make and paint my farseer with witchblade, get to work on the rest of these warlocks and paint another 2 jetbikes...   Quit making me want to buy more jetbikes Moc ;)

@IGBunker - I only have 1 Falcon and 1 Fire Prism.  I'm not buying another large Falcon.  I'd like to, but I don't have the time to put it together and paint it.  I've still got one more serpent that I have to finish.  I used a 6 man squad in a Falcon at the beginning of the league, but I wanted to try out 8 in a wave serpent instead.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:41:25 PM by GoofyCommy »

Offline Ner'Zhul

• Necrontyr Immortal | Ripper
  • Needs more Desu
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
I do believe that is my army in that pic there hahaha.  Don't worry, that army is all bark and a toothless bite ^_^