News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard boy finals battle report  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
'Ard boy finals battle report
« on: November 4, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »
Fresh back from Baltimore and I'm glad to be home. 4 flights within 2 days and all sorts of issues to deal with - including the airline forcing me to put my carry on arny transport (containing my ridiculously expensive army) into the cargo hold of one of their planes....of course, despite my protests and showing them what was inside they caused quite a bit of damage to my models including snapping the turrets off of two of my grav tanks. I lodged a complaint that I assume will go nowhere....

Ok, on to the list:

Eldrad
Yriel
3 jetbikes w/ cannon upgrade
10 wraithguard w/ spiritseer wb,p conceal
6 dragons w/ exarch, crack shot, dragon's beath & tank hunter
6 dragons w/ exarch, crack shot & dragon's beath
10 harlies w. deathjester, shadow seer, troupemaster (power weapon) & 7 kisses.
9 spiders w/ exarch, surprise assault, pb, withdraw & dual spinners
6 spiders w/ exarch, surprise assault,pb, withdraw & dual spinners
1 vyper w/ EML & cannon upgrade
2 falcons scatter laser, shuriken cannon, holo, stones, vectored engines & star engines
1 Prism - shuriken cannon, holo, stones, star engines & vectored engines

57 models
11 scoring units

Well, that was what I was supposed to use anyways..lol. I had taken the army to a RT the Saturday before (where I won best overall). I thought I had replaced all of the proper models but that wasn't the case. I was missing my vyper and the warlock. The vyper I could live without - 75 points of something that usually doesn't last that long. The warlock was pretty important as it offered conceal for my wraithguard. There was nothing available to purchase either....(sigh)

The missions were still a little wierd but nowhere near as bad as previous rounds.

1st mission: Private war. Each side got an extra special character that counted as an elite choice. Farseer Dedelf stole Mr. Hugsy (teddy bear) from Brother Captain Spankalot. It was a VP game with each of these characters worth 1,000 VP's for killing them. The mission had a standard 12" deployment and used the infiltrate special rule. A model for each was supplied by GW. THe limited edition bonesinger model as the seer and some sort of special marine captain as spankalot. (players got to keep the model they chose after the game)

Brother Captain Spankalot: ws:6 bs:6 s:5 t:5 w:3 i:6 a:5 ld:10 s:3+/4++
master craft power weapon, iron halo, adamantine mantle, bolter, fearless, true grit, feel no pain, indepndant character & fleet of foot.

Farseer Dedelf: ws:6 bs:6 s:3 t:3 w:3 i:6 a:3 ld:10 s:3+ invulnerable
he knows all eldar powers including warlock powers. he may cast two per turn without rolling ld tests. he has a singing spear.

We got the missions about an hour before game time which was cool as it allowed me to become familiar with them and begin planning. Obviously no list changes as lists were already turned in. I really wanted Spankalot as he was a monster in melee which my army could always use help with. No instant killing this guy with high attacks, no save and a great chance to wound. On the other hand, I didn't want my opponents to have Dedelf even more....first question I asked was if they were waiving the eldar specific rules for powers and they were...that meant you could fortune your Tzeentch terminator unit for example! Unbelievable chances for imbalance here!

My first round opponent: 2,500 points of Ultra marines.

Chaplain on a bike w/ term honours, adamantine mantle, power fist & artificer armour

Librarian on a bike w/ artificer armour, termi honours, teleport homer, veil of time, fear of the darkness, thunder hammer, storm shield

daemon hunter inquisitor w/ emperors tarrot, bolt pistol, ccw & mystic

5 termies w/ 2 assault cannons
5 termies w/ 2 assault cannons
5 man las cannon unit
5 man las plas unit
5 man las flamer unit
8 man las melts unit w. powerfist in rhino
3 landspeeder tornados
2 landspeeder tornados
3 attack bikes
whirlwind
5 man Dev unit w/ 3 heavy bolters, 1 las cannon (tankhunters)
5 man Dev unit w/ 3 heavy bolters, 1 las cannon (tankhunters)

They allowed players to place their own terrain which can be a bit of a problem sometimes....I won deployment roll and took the side I was on...terrain was rougly even and I couldn't completey hide my tanks on either side of the board. My opponent wanted to count the rock formations as 4+ cover despite the GW GT rules saying they were 5+ but I was cool w/ it. I win the roll to choose character and I take dedelf...I didn't want to envision dual fortuned terminator units or the Devasators in hard cover...eeeww. Divination only got me two units which hurt my deployment gamble a little bit - he was basically going to get about 3 shots on my unmoving tanks. :(

This was going to be a tough game for me. A straight up VP game with my opponent playing a pretty shooty army staying back in cover - no reason to come to me at all. I lose initiative and the game is underway.
Despite getting 3 lascannon shots on my tanks he either fails to hit of fails to pen all 3 times so it's a game again. He wipes my jetbikes with heavy bolter fire and that's pretty much it. Since the GW guys said that Dedelf can not only cast two powers but even the same one twice I opt for using fortune on the wraithguard unit and the harlies. He wants to use the hood against this but there is no LD test so it's not legal to do. (he had to look it up). I move the wraithguard unit w/ all 3 characters in it into hard cover - going to test their durability again (lol). I rolled horrible for the most part all game.
Couldn't hit anything with the tanks at all. His first 4 damage results blew off both pulse lasers and immobilized one of the falcons. (dragons stranded in my deployment zone) - the immobilized falcon (in turn 2) stayed alive for the whole game which is another testament to vectored engines and why I always take them. I chewed up both devastaror units over a few rounds. Had horrible deep strike rolls w/ my spiders effectivele throwing the small unit away and hurting the big unit. The unit that did survive I forgot to hit and run with on one turn which would have netted me far more damage (I was tired from all the travelling). I poured fire into the speeders over two turns and couldn't kill a single on of them. (5 shaken results). I was wondering if my missing vyper would have killed anything at this point (lol). My 9 man unit of spiders combined with a fireprism to try and kill a 5 man tac unit but could only manage to kill 4 between them. A dragon unit failed to kill his chaplain which was annoying to say the least. He kept Spankalot far in the back where he played no part - I couldn't get to him. With the no man's land that had to be crossed it took until turn 4 to do something with the harlies - they killed probably 8 marines before becoming non-scoring. Had rules issues regarding the whirlwind and it's ability or inability to target the harlies - also had to inform him that it had a minmium range of 12" which he didn't know.

Time to total up the points - half way through he says it's looking like a minor victory
for him of which I almost agree. He said there was no need to continue to add up points....I continue anyway knowing how stingy my list can be. Final tabulation was 1198 to 1114 which certainly was a draw. I got 11 points and he got 13.
My opponent then tried to tell me he should get the 75 points for the vyper I didn't use as it's supposed to be part of the list. I did not agree and the judge ruled in my favor - if you play short you just play short - why get penalized on both ends? Wouldn't have mattered anyways. Apparently lots of other people drew so maybe we didn't knock each other out yet...

2nd round mission was : lost in the warp. VP mission w/ 2 loot counters (warp gates). Each player put half of their list into reserves. Reserves HAD to be deployed from the gates and when they came in they suffered a warp sickness which made them unable to shoot and assault for a turn - they were free to move however. The gates were deployed at about the middle of each table and about 12" fro the board ends. I had the one on the left and he had the other. (you could only use your gate.) Reserves show up starting on turn 1.
Standard 12" deployment.

My opponet's list:
Eldard
bike seer w/ doom, fortune, mindwar,stones,rowitness & spear
3 wratihguard
10 avengers exarch w/ shimmer shield & pw, blade storm
wave serpent TL BL's / VE & SE
6 jetbikes w/ 1 cannon + warlock w/ conceal & witchblade, pistol
19 guardians w/ scatter laser
18 guardians w/ scatter laser
6 pathfinders
6 pathfinders
1 vyper SL & SHC
1 vyper SL & SHC
7 warp spiders pb, withdraw
3 vibro cannons
3 warwalkers w/ scatter laser & star cannon
2 warwalkers w/ BL & EML

We both set up blocking terrain to hide our stuff and I won the deployment roll taking the side I was on. I won the divination roll making him redploy first. I then got to redploy 4 units but kept them all as is. I planned to keep my 3 tanks, 2 units of spiders and my jet bikes in reserve. When coming in from the gate they are basically placed within 12" of one and then get to move normally. My plan was to rely on Yriels +1 to my rolls and have the units come in and jump behind my cover and come out next round shooting. The tanks would pick up the fire dragons waiting on the other side. If my gamble failed I'd basically have no firepower at all. I won initiative and opted to go 2nd as I was well protected (deploy harlies at my board edge so he couldn't get them with the vibro cannon.) - In hindsight I should have gone first. He makes 7 of 8 reserve rolls getting all but one unit of guardians. I fortune the warithguard but fail to fortune the harlies (one of my 4 failed psychic tests that game lol) I fail 4 of 6 reserve rolls only needing a 3+ only getting the big spider unit and the fire prism. I have to send the fireprism out to my flank to protect the hiding harlies from his fast moving vypers and the avengers in the serpent. It was going to act as a visible roadblock. The spiders jump behind the blocking terrain on my left flank waiting for my opponent to get closer. On his turn he fails to get the other guardian unit and moves forward. He blows the weapon off of the prism on the first shot and shakes it as well. He takes pot shots at the wraithguard but for the most part they hold up well - I only lose 2. I make the rest of my reserve rolls except for the small spider unit of which I fail. Both falcons jump behind the hill to pick up the awaiting dragons - turn 3 already and I've basically had no shooting whatsoever...my jetbikes I turboed behind him to attract fire and split his attention. My large spider unit jumped out but did not fire - I was going to catch his jetbikes in assault which would protect me from fire. Since they were fortuned I only managed a single kill and while winning the combat he stayed so we were locked. His turn he brought the other guardians in and joined the jetbikes with 2 of his walkers on my spiders who couldn't hurt them. I win combat again by concentrting on his jetbikes who failed to get fortune on them. Again he stays but I hit and run to jump over next to eldrad who did not have fortune up. I make my reserve roll to bring in the last psider unit who jumped into my deployment to hide. Both falcons comeout guns a blazing and wreck the walkers completely. My spiders shoot at Eldrad putting 2 wounds on him follwed up by an assault that killed him. I massacred into combat with the wraithguard to again protect them. My harlies who have hid behind a building all game waiting for him to get closer finally were going to make their break. I roll a 1' for fleet which lands them 1.5" short of CC with his guardian unit....of course they are all wasted by his catapult fire next round. Yriel goes in and kills all of them over two rounds. I forgot to hit & run w/ my spiders again which likely cost me the massacre (grrr lack of sleep). We only got to play 5 turns which didn't help either. (could have easily swung the massacre in the last turn). The only real rules issue I came across was my opponent wanting to spin his serpent around in the movement phase to disembark, shoot and assault with his avengers. I told him this was not legal and he was adamant that it was. I explained that turning didn't count as movement in the shooting phase for a vehicle. If done in the movement phase it is certainly movement. He didn't want to budge on it and I didn't feel like going to get a judge. I determined that I'd just remove the casualties from the front making the possible assault a moot point. I did. I doom the avengers & eldritch storm them breaking the unit and the game is over. I netted 2656 VP's to his 984 VP's. I get 18 points to his 4. Overall, my opponent was a good guy.

« Last Edit: November 4, 2007, 04:12:44 PM by Lazarus »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
Re: 'Ard boy finals battle report
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2007, 10:38:54 AM »
how did you resolve runes of warding vs runes of witnessing ?

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2007, 11:18:11 AM »
Here is the rest of the report as it wouldn't fit on one post.

The 3rd round mission was: hitting the fan. As soon as I saw the mission deployment I knew that I'd face mech tau as it is always what happens. Sure enough I get a version of it. (lol). Deployment is table quarter with only 10" in (basically L shaped). No VP's (which my army excels at) - only taking quarters with the center also counting as a quarter. There is a vortex template that moves in a random direction each turn a d6 sitting in the center of the board.

My opponent's list (he didn't give me an army list stating that he only had one copy):

Shas'o w/  plasma, missle, flamer, shield gen, hw mlti track
2 suits body guard w/ missile, plasma
shas'el w/ plasma, missle, flamer & hw multi tracker
2 suits body guard w/ missile, plasma
6 units of 6 man fire warrior bonded
3 units of 3 man crisis suits w/ plasma, missile, target array, hw multi track
1 unit of 6 gun drones
1 unit of 8 gun drones.
3 hammer heads w/ rail gun, smart missiles, decoy, milti tracker, target array
2 piranah w/ fusion gun, target array, decoy launchers

I won deployment taking my quarter. I made sure there was enough terrain to not let the rail guns rule the day from turn 1. I put the wraithguard behind cover near the center risking the vortex template. My tanks stayed back behind cover. It was going to be an interesting game....I could pretty much damn near guarantee a draw but a win would be something else...he had a whole lot of scoring units and I was playing with one short. Divination allows me 4 units to move but I'm relatively good with it as is - just slide the wraitguard over a bit to avoid a fire lane. I lose initiative and he elects to have me go first. I had only glanced at his list at begining of game (we didn't want to lose time as start was late) so I didn't catch something I should have. He delpoyed in a gun line in hard cover with his tanks behind the buildings. The suits were also hiding. I expose my prism slightly in order to try and get about a dozen fire warriors under the big template. I miss. Wraithguard & harlies are fortuned - guard move up into building and harlies start heading to the flank keeping the trailing part of the unit in fortune range. Damn vortex template moves right at me stopping 1" from the wraithguard - knowing VP's are not important I'm not too worried about it - it can't chase just me all game could it? (little did I know ..lol). He shakes the prism on his turn with 2 rail gun shots and it goes to hide on mine. My wraithguard soak up fire from nearly all of the fire warriors and only lost a single model. I get the small spider unit from reserve and try a gamble - deepstriking into his back deployment trying to kill a crisis suit team. I deviate nearly going off of the board but still land within range (of a different unit). Shooting kills two and he fails break test and runs off the board. My spiders will die in return but I'm happy - it will take some attention from him dealing with something behind him. On his turn he rolls for reserves on his piranahs.....um, I didn't know they could deepstrike. Of course they can't. Had they been on the table I would have sent my spiders after them as it is one of his best mobile scoring units - I forgot he had them after the quick glance at his list. At first the judge was going to let them come in anywhere is his deployment which I though was quite unfair. He then conceded that it would be and made him come in from his corner edge. He tried to drop a drone unit behind my prism but I had posistioned my jet bikes behind it to make deepstriking very dangerous. He lost the unit landing on my bikes. The other unit didn't show up yet. On turn 2 he forgot to do all of his assault moves with his suits - I could have really punished him here killing off a unit or two but I let him go back (shouldn't have but I did). He continues to pour fire into the wraithguard but kills nothing....stupid vortex got one though. My other spiders arrived and dropped in right behind his hammer head near board edge and blew it up. My prism blew the gun off of another one and next turn I'd be in posistion of dealing with the last. He gets a lucky immobilizing roll from a crisis suit on my one falcon. Dragons unload killing off the HQ's body guard. His remaining drones drop in behind the immobilized falcon and combine with the suits to finally destroy it. My wraithguard destroy the hammer head and the fire dragons in the other falcon manage to destroy the last. My jet bikes had shot and assaulted the drones tying them up and began to whittle them down each round. The game was close but I still had a good chance to win. In the last round I had the fire dragons shoot his piranahs dealing out a hit & glance to each. I roll a 5 on one and a 4 on the other. I forgot they were open topped which would have neeted me a destroyed and immobilized result. He said that he had decoy launchers so I had to re-roll the 5' which got me a 4' - weapon destroyed. With open topped both vehicles were dead. That quarter was contested. The game came down to this: My last harlie (troupe master) charged the HQ unit who had one body guard left that was wounded. If I could do a single wound with my 5 attacks I'd win as this was his last scoring unit that could contest the quarter my prism was holding. My wraithguard did have the center until the stupid vortex template again turned after me killing 3 of them dropping them to below scoring. ( the vortex killed more guard than he did lol)

Troupe masrer charges in hitting 3 times but failing to wound. He dies from the return blows and he moves his unit to stradle the quarter (didn't have enough to get all of the way in). He claims he can choose which quarter he controls but I know it doesn't work that way. We go get a judge and he shows him that you will have to dice off for it as it says in the book. Of course he makes the roll and we tie.  ::)

I netted 1545 VP's to his 1465. I got 13 points to his 12.

Here is the part that annoyed me: I asked him to give me a rundown of what was in his list so I could do my battle report. He goes to hand me his list and then suddenly yanks it back saying that he has to "do his notes first". He then goes down on the floor on his side of the table and writes on his list for a minute...he finaly hands me the list which has cross outs and new point totals all over the place. I pretty much know what happened at this point. I could go up to the judge's table and compare it to his original list - I was 95% sure that he made changes in game and he would be disqualified if it was brought to the judges. I added up his fast attack total which came to 318 - he had 308 listed as the total and the point costs of the piranahs had changed but he didn't fix the total..lol

The guy who took 3rd did so with a 2-1 record. That means if I had done this I would have likely taken his place with a 2-0-1 record. Wasn't really worth it to me. I liked the guy and was dissapointed to catch him at this....

Overall I got a 1-0-2 recored wich still technically means I'm undefeated in 'Ardboy play which isn't exactly easy to do. Last game should have been a straight up win but it's not worth the problems when you face these people in a comp tourney again.

Dude, you know who you are. Let's play a straight up game next time.  ;)

Posted by: srintuar
how did you resolve runes of warding vs runes of witnessing ?

We always played that they canel each other out.

Lazarus.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2007, 04:17:38 PM by Lazarus »
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline int main()

• Crouching Broadside,Hidden Stealthsuit
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2007, 01:16:08 PM »
You shouldn't have been so lenient on the Tau guy, even with his modified list it's still illegal. I'm looking at the shas'o in particular, he can't have 3 weapons and then a shield generator(which probably means your Fire Dragons would have toasted him along with his 2 bodyguards). And Pirahnas can't deep strike, as you already know.

Nevertheless, that's a good showing. What placing did you get, 4th?
Burn the Sister of Battle.
Kill the Space Marine.
Purge the Grey Knight.
Destroy the Imperium.
Let the Galaxy burn!

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2007, 04:03:48 PM »
Nah, I think I placed around 19th out of 50+ players due to my 2 draws and 1 win. That extra masacre I would have received (had I reported him) would have likely catapulted me to 3rd (or at least in the top 5)....scores were pretty close overall throughout the day.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure why the extra weapons on his leaders - he never used anything but plasma & missiles so it's not an issue....

I'd have to leaf through the codex for other issues but it really doesn't matter now...I only wish I had remembered to bring my other models instead of leaving them at home..lol

Lazarus.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2007, 04:18:34 PM by Lazarus »

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2007, 06:48:27 PM »
Well... Well done Laz!!!

Just getting into the 'Ard Boyz Final is fantastic!
And coming 19th with missing models, cheating opponents, and dodgy lists...

LOW(AB(KCB))
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
« Reply #6 on: November 4, 2007, 08:38:38 PM »
Sounds like most of your games, your luck finally caught up to you.  Congrats on doing as well as you did!  Too bad about the last guy, though.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline Despot

• Blood Runs. Anger Rises. Death Wakes. War Calls!
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2007, 12:01:38 AM »
ya i thought points mistakes, rule arguments, and cheating was only in home games and figured a big official tourney would be more professional. o well. I'm amazed you were able to keep your cool haha. good looks!
When you let slip the dogs of war they become difficult to reign in.

Offline srintuar

• Infinity Circuit | I'm too rational to have a mod-imposed dumb title, I suppose.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2007, 08:06:04 AM »
ya i thought points mistakes, rule arguments, and cheating was only in home games and figured a big official tourney would be more professional. o well. I'm amazed you were able to keep your cool haha. good looks!

I bet its a technique for getting into the big tournaments.

Seems reasonable to deepstrike piranha's. You would have to read the Tau codex to know they cannot,
and the marine faq to know that even if they could, they couldnt shoot the round they did deepstrike.
He probably got away with dropping and shooting the melta weapons on them to great advantage in several
games to get ahead.

His overspec battlesuits may not have harmed the balance this time, but in other games the extra concentrated
flamer fire has no doubt turned back hordes of densely packed enemies at the last second, etc.

I suppose its inevitable that the judges dont have the time nor the competence to review every list and make sure
that they are both legal and valid...

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2007, 08:27:58 AM »
Posted by: srintuar

Seems reasonable to deepstrike piranha's. You would have to read the Tau codex to know they cannot,
and the marine faq to know that even if they could, they couldnt shoot the round they did deepstrike.
He probably got away with dropping and shooting the melta weapons on them to great advantage in several
games to get ahead.

This guy is a vet and a tourney regular so I know he knows his rules.....(following them is another story...)

His overspec battlesuits may not have harmed the balance this time, but in other games the extra concentrated
flamer fire has no doubt turned back hordes of densely packed enemies at the last second, etc.

That is indeed possible.

I suppose its inevitable that the judges dont have the time nor the competence to review every list and make sure
that they are both legal and valid...

They certainly didn't have that much time and of course it would be difficult to have people well veresed in pratically every army list to truly check them out. More often than not I find out al sorts of interesting things after the game is over.
I'm sure the Tau player knew his piranahs were open topped yet said nothing about it....I knew better but was still dazzeled by their apparent ability to depstrike. (lol)

Lazarus.

Offline srintuar

• Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2007, 09:38:32 AM »
This guy is a vet and a tourney regular so I know he knows his rules.....(following them is another story...)

Ouch, are you saying that you think he is a conscious and intentional cheater ?

Im pretty sure that doesnt adhere to the Tau'Va :p

I can imagine my statements in this game:
"you cannot deep strike them, and since this is not omega you cannot put them in reserve. Sounds like you arent fielding them.
I'll be generous and let you move them in from reserve on your map edge though, if you let me proxy my missing vyper."

Lol, of course hindsight is 20/20 though. I bet you were frazzled by the flight and everything.
I'm intimidated by putting them in my car, taking my models  as luggage is out of the question :)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »
1st off, Congrats on making it to the final round and not loosing a single game.

Having to deal with stupidity is not right though, and any judge should know the rules and general Faq's.

Sorry, I know you thought you would get away clean; but, I do have a couple of Qurestions / Comments for you.

1.. Were you able to use the "Bone Singer" model from game 1 in the other 2 games as your "Missing" Warlock?
2.. In game 1, I can't believe that you couldn't drop those Landspeeders early on. They are huge and if your dice were going that poorly, it may be time for a new set.
3.. In game 2, although you failed 4 Psy tests, another reason to purchase new dice. Great play a netting 3 times your opponents VP's without all those Psy tests passing is awesome. Where you on a sugar buzz, or did you just overcome your Jetlag.... No seriously sound like you played very well this game.
4.. Good tactics on having the JB's protect a potential Deepstrike landing zone.
5.. In game 3, your opponent forgeting to deploy his Piranahs and then trying to Deepstrike them... Come on, was the guy on Glue or what. He was obviously trying to blatently bend the rules... I think I would go with Srintuar on this one and ask if I could Proxy my "Un-Deployed" Vyper... Or maybe better, when he forgot to make his assault moves with his Suits (call me an arse if you like) but at this point I would have thrown out my nice-guy visage and "Torn him a new one !". You were too nice of a guy, as the only reason he was playing you, was because he bent those same rules against other players to make it this far..... You should have forced him to follow the rules and cruched him like a Mon-Kiegh Bug, just because he considered bending the rules.
6.. As for Runes of Ward and Runes of Witnees, I too play that they effects cancel each other out.
7.. You are a great tactician and player as your list and play has shown.... I can't believe that once again a great standing in the tournament was denied due to skewed lists / players / judges.

Anyway, glad to see that you made it there and back all safe and sound (not counting a bit glue to fix the models).

Cheers and Happy Gaming.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2007, 01:41:54 PM »
Posted by: moc065

1st off, Congrats on making it to the final round and not loosing a single game.

Thanks.  :)

Having to deal with stupidity is not right though, and any judge should know the rules and general Faq's.

In all fairness, the judges themselves did a pretty good job overall. Everything that I brought to their attention they ruled the right way on.

1.. Were you able to use the "Bone Singer" model from game 1 in the other 2 games as your "Missing" Warlock?

Yes I certainly did.  :)

2.. In game 1, I can't believe that you couldn't drop those Landspeeders early on. They are huge and if your dice were going that poorly, it may be time for a new set.

Yeah, I coudn't believe it either. My dice often go cold at times like that.lol

3.. In game 2, although you failed 4 Psy tests, another reason to purchase new dice. Great play a netting 3 times your opponents VP's without all those Psy tests passing is awesome. Where you on a sugar buzz, or did you just overcome your Jetlag.... No seriously sound like you played very well this game.

I was extremely tired and hopped up on mountain dew & candy at this point (lol). I thought I was clever by allowing him to go first giving me the last turn to capture objectives.....in hindsight it cost me practically all of my fire power for the game due to poor reserve rolls. (I only got to fire one falcon once and the other twice - the prism never fired a single time. lol) Failing 4 psy yests was frustrating to say the least - I failed each time I tried to fortune the harlies. I may have had a handfull left if they had been protected...

4.. Good tactics on having the JB's protect a potential Deepstrike landing zone.

Truthfully, I was surprised that he still tried it as there was basically no room for error on the drop. I suppose the gamble wasn't that bad considering VP's didn't count at all. I'd have done it as well I suppose...

In game 3, your opponent forgeting to deploy his Piranahs and then trying to Deepstrike them...

He didn't "forget" to deploy them. He claimed he had been deepstriking them since the codex came out. I find it hard to belive that no one called him on it before now....

You were too nice of a guy, as the only reason he was playing you, was because he bent those same rules against other players to make it this far..... You should have forced him to follow the rules and cruched him like a Mon-Kiegh Bug, just because he considered bending the rules.

You are likely right here...however, I was in a fairly laid back mood (read tired) at that point and no longer in kill mode. Funy thing was I liked the guy and actually enjoyed playng with him...er, right up until the whole "cheating" part...lol.

As for Runes of Ward and Runes of Witnees, I too play that they effects cancel each other out.

That's how it's played nearly every event that I go to. Divination is another one to fight over sometimes. Most play it that you roll off to see who uses it first. Some want to alternate re-deploying units. Some further claim that infiltrators can't be re-set outside of the deploymnent even in misions that allow for infiltration.

7.. You are a great tactician and player as your list and play has shown.... I can't believe that once again a great standing in the tournament was denied due to skewed lists / players / judges.

Thanks for the high praise. There were lots of good players there...this sort of event you need to be good AND lucky to win.

Anyway, glad to see that you made it there and back all safe and sound (not counting a bit glue to fix the models).

It's going to require more than just glue to fix the damage. Golden demon quality paintjobs getting all scratched up isn't easy to fix.... >:(

Lazarus.

Offline srintuar

• Lazerous Penguin
  • 電光石火
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2007, 01:54:34 PM »

It's going to require more than just glue to fix the damage. Golden demon quality paintjobs getting all scratched up isn't easy to fix.... >:(

Actually, I'm quite curious about this.

Did custom's agents manhandle your pieces ? Like physically grab them and break them  :( ?

or did they just break inside your luggage due to rough handling ?

Offline Lazarus

• Ancient
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2007, 02:10:24 PM »
I take my army as carry on in my sabol army transport case. Apprarently, the airline did't have the normal jet available for one of my conecting flights and I was forced to put the army transport in with the regular luggage as there was no room in the plane w/ me. Needless to say it went just as I thought it would. I'm still pretty pissed off about it.

I do lots of work in Airports as a demolition contractor nd I'm behind the scenes quite a bit. I've seen what the baggage guys do...they call them "throwers" not handlers.

I'm just glad my forgeworld avatar was not in the case - that would have been really bad..

Lazarus.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2007, 03:02:46 PM »
I've travelled around the world for years (in my old job) and between the "Ramp-rats", the "Baggage-Throwers", and the touchy feely "Customs Officers" I've had to deal with, I'm suprised you didn't have things broken earlier... I've had loads of stuff smashed on me: don't hold your breath on the Claim you filled out. Anyway, this is one more reason I only paint my "Mobile" stuff to level 8-ish... as GD level is too time consuming to have some poor guy (who is just trying to do his job) ruin on me.

Thanks again for the update.

PS... In my area, if both guys have Divination, then you roll for it, winner decides who Divines first, and then you alternate thorugh units until your both done.... Kind-of Nukes most of the good Divination stratagies; but, at least both guys get an equal Nuke. Oh and I only ever saw it happen a few times as not that many players are running figures with Divination.

CaHG.
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline Ailideon

• "I have forseen your birth and yes, your death"
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2007, 03:23:32 PM »
I have never played in a official tournament before but do you hand in your decklists to the judges to be checked? Make sure you arn't overloaded in areas and that your points are correct?

I know its a different game but when I played Magic the Gathering we gave them official lists and they check to make sure they are legal.

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2007, 07:13:23 PM »
I have never played in a official tournament before but do you hand in your decklists to the judges to be checked? Make sure you arn't overloaded in areas and that your points are correct?

I know its a different game but when I played Magic the Gathering we gave them official lists and they check to make sure they are legal.

You do hand in a list, but its more just to make sure that you use the same one all through the tournament and dont go changing it against different armies, etc...

They are supposed to check it, but as Laz said, they, quite often, dont have the experience to know all the intricacies of all the army's that are playing... Thats the problem.

decklists
Decklist?
Do you mean armylist (we are talking warhammer), lol.  :P

LOW(AB(KCB))
COME SEE THE BIG LIST OF CHAOS ARMY LISTS FOR SOME TRIED AND TESTED LISTS USED BY FORUM MEMBERS

Offline Satanic Joker Jester

• Armies: Eldar
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2007, 12:41:05 AM »
Well done :)  even with all those circumstances and demoralizing incidents, you still did outstanding.  And to the end, you were a good player and a good sportsman,  its not easy to find players of your caliber. 

it really is a shame you were missing those 2 models,  well, more so the vyper, to think that even if it didn't destroy anything, the fact that i may have claimed/contested table quarters or denied VP's...its a shame really,

and out of curiousity, do you have pictures of your eldar? i'd be interested in seeing your army as you said its GD painted standard?
another day, just breathe.

Looking for a new army project...
Eldar         Necrons
6-0-1       4-1-1

Possible, that it could all be wonderful~
Sweet the sound, as all the stars come crashing down~

Offline Balthraka

• Dracite
  • This is a lie
    • Betting on Monopoly
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2007, 01:27:48 AM »
  and out of curiousity, do you have pictures of your eldar? i'd be interested in seeing your army as you said its GD painted standard?

I would love to see it too.

I have been picturing it as i read all your battle reports (from the first round until now), but would really like to see it in its splendour on the battlefield.

LOW(AB(KCB))