News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Dark Eldar vs. Black Templars (Ambush)- Special Rules Campaign.  (Read 2206 times)

Offline Blood Archon

• Archon Sanguinius
Before I start the report, The rules for this campaign are: This takes place during Armaggeddon, and that the Dark Eldar are capitalizing on this by attacking a cluster of planets that has a lot of dark matter, held solely by the black templars. Due to Armaggeddon, the BTs only get 3 High Marshals throughout the campaign. The Dark Eldar only get (obviously) 1 Archon, and (he demanded I "Balance it out") only 1 Raider. (The reason it's not in this fight is because it went boom already.) I fulfilled the Minimum requirements on the chart and had about half as many points as he did (he was ambushing me). The road I the DE force is travelling on is through a forest, so if you were in the forest you always had to roll to see with the normal rules, except that the score was multiplied by 4. And you also got a 5+ cover save in the forest.

Army Lists-
Black Templars
-Force Commander
-Emperor's Champion
-2 Regular Squads of 5, 1 Missle Launcher in each
-1 unit of 10 Terminators
-Dreadnought with Missle Launcher and Assault Cannon

Dark Eldar
-Archon w/shadow field, agoniser, splinter pistol, combat drugs, trophy rack, gruesome talismans, haywire grenades
-1 unit of 10 Warriors
-1 unit of 10 Warriors w/2 Splinter Cannons

Turn 1- Black Templars

He kills 5 Warriors in one of my squads and 2 from another. His forces remain stationary, well out of assault range.

Turn 1- Dark Eldar

The Blood Archon promptly orders all his forces into the cover of the forest on opposite sides of the road, the less damaged squad accompaning him to prevent firing at him. With all weapons out of range the turn was over.

Turn 2-Black Templars

Again his forces remained stationary, and he unloaded all he had. Lucky for me he had bad "to see" (TS) rolls so I only lost 2 men.

Turn 2-Dark Eldar

My forces did exceptionally well with their Difficult Terrain tests, all 3 units got 6s, then all got 4s for FoF.

Turn 3-Black Templars

He nailed the weaker of my squads, knocking it down to three men, but failed to kill any from the other squad.

Turn 3-Dark Eldar

I decided to move the weaker warrior unit back to prevent losing it. They got out of range of his guns, but my Archon and other warrior squad had bad rolls for everything.

Turn 4-Black Templars

He moved all his forces toward my Archon, unloading his weapons as he went, destroying the entire unit of Warriors around the Archon, but failed to get through the shadow field.

Turn 4-Dark Eldar

The Archon could not outrun the entire force even though he was about 18 inches from the escape edge, so he charged into close combat. He promptly killed 4 Terminators in one set of attacks.

Turn 5-Black Templars

His Emperor's Champion, Force Commander, Dreadnought, and his Terminators simultaneously charged my Archon while his other troops moved closer to the combat. During this combat, the Archon's shadow field held and he killed 4 more Terminators, but the Black Templar special rules prevent them from falling back.

Turn 5-Dark Eldar

The surviving Warriors fled closer to my board edge, while the Archon's field still held, he took out the remaining terminators and took a wound from the Emperor's Champion.

Turn 6-Black Templars
He moved his troops closer to the combat, and the Archon only managed to kill the Emperor's Champion.

Turn 6-Dark Eldar
Warriors stay stationary. The Archon Kills the Force Commander.

Turn 7 (yes we did roll a 5)-Black Templars
His regular troops reached the combatants, and the Dreadnought was Immobilised. The shadow field still held.

Turn 7-Dark Eldar
The Archon got lucky with the Haywire Grenades and blew the Dreadnought skyhigh.

At this point the game ended.

P.S.- Wasp 58, if u ever read this tell me this is not the coolest thing you've ever seen an archon do?

Comments on what I could have done with the Warriors not to get them killed? I figured I was down for the count when I charged the Terminators. That I lived was all luck.
DE Pickup Lines:
Would you like to be... err, SEE my trophy rack?
I would be honored if you would sample my agoniser.
I will have my Incubi punish YOU if you do not come with me.
Don't you think I'm hot in this hellmask?

Callidus

Re:Dark Eldar vs. Black Templars (Ambush)- Special Rules Campaign.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 11:30:52 PM »
Remind me to never assualt an archon. HOLY *beep*!!! An entire squad of termies, emperor's champ, force leader AND a dreadnought? sheesh.

Offline The Shadow Hunter

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 10:58:11 AM »
COOL BEANS...this is exactly why I hate my friend's Archon..but meh, I guess this is what they're used for.  Yeah Archon's and Incubi usually go through my whole army, ripping up my Striking Scorpions and Karandras and maybe even my Seer Council.  I just can't kill ALL of them before they close in.  Good Battle report, question though... what kind of a player DOESN'T allow Dark Eldar to use Raiders?  Didn't that seem a LITTLE unfair, I mean, HE got THREE High Marshals, I don't know their stats but shouldn't that entitle YOU to more Raiders just because HIS limitations were less stringent than YOURS.

Offline Kei'Ariq

• Ancient
  • Ariq rides again
    • Wych Cult of Spank Me!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2002, 11:00:20 AM »
I hope that your Archon got a medal!

Ultimately that is a mighty impressive performance, despite being seriously outpointed in a mission that generally favours the attacker strongly.

The only thing that I could suggest to save the Warriors would be to go completely to one side of the road, so that hopefully there is too much distance for the larger half of his army to shoot at you. Still a pretty tricky situation and well done for still having the Archon alive for the next battle.