News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: My First Public Game  (Read 2786 times)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
My First Public Game
« on: May 28, 2007, 12:45:43 AM »
Alright, I just got back from Games Workshop a few hours ago, and needless to say, it was a blast! Had a lot of fun, played a game, watched a few more. There were a couple of kids I wished would die, but...let's not go there. Anyways, in a complete rip-off of Ailaros' reports, I've decided to post mine.

My opponent went Chaos, ready to fight the pawns of the false Emperor.

It was a 1500 point game, played on a 4' x 4' table (The others were taken). Below is my list.

Doctrines:

Storm Troopers
Iron Discipline
Close Order Drill
Veterans

HQ

Jr. Officer w/ HI,PW,ID
Commissar w/ PW
Veteran w/ Standard
2 Plasma Guns

Elites

2x Veterans

10 Veterans w/ 3 Meltaguns, Power Fist

10 Storm Troopers w/ Meltagun, Plasma Gun, Infiltrate

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Jr. Officer w/ PW, ID
2 Plasma Guns

4x Infantry Squads

10 Guardsmen w/ Flamer, Heavy Bolter

Armored Fist
10 Guardsmen w/ flamer
Chimera w/ Multi-laser, Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support

2x Leman Russ, each with Lascannon, Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Basilisk w/ Indirect Fire.

I didn't bother to remember my opponent's Army List, but I knew it was nasty. He told me he was experimenting with something, and wondered if it was going to work or not. THIS SCARED ME TO NO END.

1 Super Chaos Lord
3 Obliterators
5 Screamers (STINGRAYS! RUN STEVE IRWIN!)
10 Thousands Son's
20 Chaos Marines w/ miscellaneous scary weapons. (I think there was a Kai gun in there somewhere.)
A Rhino (Which was named 'The Love Bug')
1 Defiler (Which we've cutely named Charlotte, cause it's a spider)

Start up

Alright, we decided on person with the most crap at the end of 6 turns wins. I luckily got to go first.

I set up men as you can see in the picture. I hid the Basilisk (The Baker) behind the little forest and infiltrated both my Veterans and Storm Troopers real close. He placed some men and his Lord in the Rhino, and his Obliterators and Screamers were in reserve.

Turn 1

I had forgotten to take a picture right at the end of my turn, but I moved my Veteran squad up towards the Defiler, fired off 3 Meltaguns at 6 inches away. The stupid stupid Warp flame thingy took three models, but all three shots hit, naturally destroying the Defiler. Next, I fired both my Leman Russes and the Basilisk at the Thousand Son's squad. I don't remember the specifics, but on hit directly, one scattered a negligible distance, and one scattered way off into another squad on the far left. I ended up killing 6 Thousands Sons (Damn Cover save) and 2 Regular Chaos Marines. I opened fire with several Lasguns with my Vets in the middle, and wounded one TS.

Chao's Turn. He moved his Thousands Sons, and Marines forwards. He also ran the Rhino the full 12 inches and spewed them out in front of my Veterans. They took Bolter fire from both the Thousands Son's, the Marines from the Rhino, and his Chaos Lord. Four fail their cover saves, and rest flee.

Turn 2

I start off the turn by regrouping my Veterans. Unfortunately I had forgotten about my other Vet Squad and left them up on the hill in the far left. Anyways, I opened fired with my three ordinance vehicles on the Rhino squad. Some scattered, but in the end I killed a few. I opened fire with my Storm Trooper's Hellguns and Special Weapons, also killing a few. In the end, I wasted the group down to the Chaos Lord.

He responded to my vehicle whoring by deep striking his Obliterators to the edge of the forest. Nicely scattering a little over an inch in front of my left Leman Russ. The damn thing never stood a chance. The turret was taken by an Obliterator as a trophy. He also moved his Rhino DIRECTLY in front of my Leman Russ, simply to piss me off for the next turn (It was useless anyways). He moved TS forward, and shot at my ST, killing 2 of them. Then, my Storm Troopers were assaulted and brutally massacred. Four were slaughtered by the Lord's Lightning claws, and two were killed by the regular troops. They tried to flee but were ultimately cut down.

Turn 3

The first thing I did was move my one squad into the forest, and my HQ to the left. My Basilisk was sent to move the hell away from the Obliterators. I moved my Veterans squads down south, both towards the Obliterators. I also moved my platoon HQ as well. On the right side I moved my Armored Fist squad up the Hill and dumped out my men.

I opened fire on the Thousands sons with my Basilisk, scattered six inches WAAAAY off. I opened fire the Rhino with my Leman Russ and at BEST got an immobilized roll. I got one glancing and a penetrating. Sucked balls. I opened fire with both Chimera weapons, 17 lasgun shots, and a flamer. I managed to roast one of them. I then opened fire on the Obliterators the 3 Infantry  Squads, 3 meltaguns, several las pistols, and 2 Plasma guns. He made a LOT of invulnerable saves, and a LOT MORE armor saves, but still lost one Obliterator, and other wounded.

I decided it was best to finish off the Obliterators and blindly charged forward. My Jr. Officer and his command Squad began to slash with their bayonets. Luckily, I got a wound on a Power Sword, he fails his Invulnerable saves. In my Vet Squad, I attacked with my regular men. Scoring one wound when he fail and armor save. I Finished the thing off with two Power fist hits at the cost of 1 casualty.

There it is men! The Glorious ASS HAT! We must retake it, in the name of the Emperor!

Men, SHIELD ME WITH YOUR BODIES!

Mr. Chaos begins by moving his TS forwards. Along with the Squad on his left. The Screamers failed to show up.

He got off a few shots with his Thousands Sons, but to little effect.

On the Right, he Slaughtered my Armored Fist squad, which proved to be an ineffective speed bump, and slammed into my Infantry Squad.

Turned 4

I moved my HQ moved forward towards the Close Combat, along with most of my other men. I opened up with the Basilisk on the TS and outright Slaughtered them. I opened fire with the Leman Russ on the Rhino, both Heavy Bolters and Lascannons failed to do jack amphetamine parrot. Frustrated, I fired 3 Meltas at it. finally it goes down.

In the Assualt phase, my opponent rolled so badly one of the Redshirts who watched even laughed about it. The lightning claws scored 3, but rolled all ones to wounds. That was shocking enough, he then re-rolled due to Special rules, but only achieved in killing ONE model. The other units didn't do jack! I tried to attack back, but he made his armor saves. I luckily passed my Leadership tests because my officer was just in range for the Ld. 10 roll.

Finally in turn 4, his screamers made it. They wasted the Leman Russ' piss poor rear armor with ease. In Close Combat, he wastes five Guardsmen. I made no wounds, but beyond all logic my Guardsmen stood stood their ground. Actually, the lack of logic was probably why my Guardsmen stayed.

Turn 5

I began my turn by moving my men forward towards the Stingrays. I fired directly on the screamers with my Basilisk - I even wanted it to scatter on my own men!- but got a direct hit, wasting all of them.

In Close Combat, my Guardsmen were finally slaughtered to the man. He consolidated forwards towards the Basilisk. Wanting to Avenge the death of Stingrays.

FORWARDS BROTHERS, PUNCH THE BASILISK WITH YOUR FISTS!

I amphetamine parrot you not, it worked. 2 Melta bombs at best got an immobilized and a weapon destroyed. My opponent even gave up trying to kill it otherwise, but I reminded him that it was AV10. With better to do, his Chaos Marines began to punch the vehicle with their fists. He scored one glancing hit and rolled a 5. Since the vehicle was opened top, it died.

Somehow, we couldn't help but cheer with laughter after that part.

Turn 6

I began my turn by looping my HQ around the wreckage and charging the enemy Marines. We struck simultaneously. He failed to wound a single model, while I took out 2.

He passed his Leadership test and piled in. On his turn, he slaughtered ALL of my men, but not before I was able to take one more down with me.

Turn 7

We proceeded into turn 7 because we had simply forgotten what turn we were on. We were distracted around turn 3 or 4 and simply forgot what turn we came back to. Anyways, we played another turn thinking it was turn 6 and not 7.

Anyhow, I swung my Veteran squad around the Basilisk, intent on finishing the damn thing off.

I managed to kill two model w/ my Power Fist while he killed one. The Chaos Lord was just out of Combat, but piled in he passed his moral test.

Not surprisingly, he wasted the three models around my Sergeant. Afterwards, he took two swings at the Chaos Lord, landing two hits, and two wounds.

FINAL RESULTS

I took one final picture of the battlefield before we began to clean up and free up the table.

In the end, I wiped out his entire army, short of his Chaos Lord, at the expense of my men. Only 37 men and one Chimera lived through the entire ordeal. I lost both my tanks, my Basilisk, and accidentally immobilized the Chimera trying to move it off the hill. 

We didn't need to check victory points to see who won, but I counted how many 'victory points' I had left using my survivors. In the end, I had 433 points left. I assume the Chaos Lord was around 200 hundred, so for the record I simply won by 300 victory points; netting me a Solid Victory.

I'm gonna say I think I did a fairly good job. My Veterans were able to quickly subdue his artillery and prevent the thing from harming my men. I also rolled extremely well too. I hit at least half the time with the Ordinance weapons, while scattering no more then 2 inches most of the time.

I funny thing about this was my friend gave me this gold colored carp thingy on the way over here. Every time I had to roll, I shook it with my other hand, did a fake/retarded chant and rolled. It worked real well too. The Guys at the store loved it. We call it the 'Wisdom Carp.'

Heroe of the Game: Far right Infantry Squad. They held on for three Combat rounds (1 and a half turns) against a Chaos Lord, and 8 Space Marines. Despite an open exit right behind them, they decided to hold their ground. Whether it was to allow their comrades to get into position, or out of sheer stupidity. They're fought to their dying breaths.

MVP: I don't know who exactly to give it to, so I'm going to give it to my Veteran squad on the far left. It was able to silence the enemy artillery, invaluable in combat.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 12:57:06 AM by *Nosferatu* »

Offline Pavonis

• "An unimaginable power discovered in the depths."
Re: My First Public Game
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:35:48 PM »
Good job on the win! I love to see pictures in Battle Reports, it makes the battle much easier to see instead of imagining it. Love it :)

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 08:45:29 PM »
I'm glad somebody does. No one else has yet to even bother to reply. Is a simple 'Good Job' too much to ask for?

Offline Redlion

• Infinity Circuit
  • I *LOVE* EO and 40K.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 08:51:52 PM »
Sorry I am responding late as well, but your battle was a real hoot man. Congrats on your win. I think you did great. Your report was fun and had plenty of excitement in it.

I think I would have been high tailing out of his consolidation ranges though, then just opened up on him. It would have been like shooting fish in a barrel really, however, he had a chance by the way you played, not much, but still a chance, lol. I think you got a crushing defeat on this one easily.

Your 1st turn hurt him bad. Crushed his defiler, then even killed some others, I really laughed when you cursed his cover saves, and you killed 6 of them, man, that was great, ok so you didn't slaughter him to the man, but you  tore him up really.

Anyway, good job, and thanks for posting your report, it was well done. Also good luck on your future battles and games.

Offline Ailaros

• Why do the poutiest guys get the biggest guns?
    • my webpage
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
Aaaaah! My naming convention!

That being said, I think you played a solid game vs. a marine-like opponent. I particularly laud your skillful application of ordnance, and you using infantry squads to soak up enemy assaulters for a couple of turns (other than occupying space on the board, distractions like this is what I see as the primary purpose of infantry squads). Keep playing like you did, and you won't ever feel too much heat from MEq's.

If I had to suggest something, I would suggest that you put an infantry squad over by your tanks. I know that you have an infantry presence in the form of your armored fist, but having a backup, slow, infantry squad can give your opponents ideas (as in, the idea to keep attacking guys, rather than attept to hurt vehicles). That might have let your tanks survive a little better.

Otherwise, nice job! Keep it up.

Visit my My Battle Report Archive.
Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 07:30:41 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a great time, which is all you really need, if you ask me!

One suggestion: To help remember what turn it is, set aside a single die (preferably of an odd color or size) and use it to keep track of the turn number. I used to forget what turn it was all the time until I started doing this. It also helps you plan out your game, as you know exactly how many turns each of you has before the points start being tallied.

Offline Illumini

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:26:45 AM »
Great report, wish more people were copying Ailaros  :)

Seems you have a quite different guard army, with several counter-charging infantry units, you also play very aggressively, and it seems to work for you. Fun to see a guard army played differently

Little other to add, the army and tactics seem to work for you, I agree with Ailaros though, you could try using infantry squads as bait, to keep the enemy from assaulting your tanks.

Keep the report comming 
If there were no God, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltare

Offline Droofus

• Ork Boy
  • It is YOU who will suffer greatly!
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 01:35:34 PM »

I'm glad to see you've avenged the Crocodile Hunter by means of your basilisk.

Anyway, good report.   Your guys look like Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers, which is cool.  ;)  You should definitely base them though, basing adds tons of character to a model.
\

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 06:40:06 PM »

I think I would have been high tailing out of his consolidation ranges though, then just opened up on him. It would have been like shooting fish in a barrel really, however, he had a chance by the way you played, not much, but still a chance, lol. I think you got a crushing defeat on this one easily.

Your 1st turn hurt him bad. Crushed his defiler, then even killed some others, I really laughed when you cursed his cover saves, and you killed 6 of them, man, that was great, ok so you didn't slaughter him to the man, but you  tore him up really.

Anyway, good job, and thanks for posting your report, it was well done. Also good luck on your future battles and games.

Thanks man, appreciated the praise. I considered running my units out of consolidation range but decided the game would be much more interesting if I ran all my units into the fray. It's much more enjoyable to watch the men duke it out in CC then to sit and shoot sometimes.

My Guardsmen squad are best used that way. I chuck a Guardsmen squad into CC, tie up the unit and allow the rest of my forces to get into position.

Aaaaah! My naming convention!

That being said, I think you played a solid game vs. a marine-like opponent. I particularly laud your skillful application of ordnance, and you using infantry squads to soak up enemy assaulters for a couple of turns (other than occupying space on the board, distractions like this is what I see as the primary purpose of infantry squads). Keep playing like you did, and you won't ever feel too much heat from MEq's.

If I had to suggest something, I would suggest that you put an infantry squad over by your tanks. I know that you have an infantry presence in the form of your armored fist, but having a backup, slow, infantry squad can give your opponents ideas (as in, the idea to keep attacking guys, rather than attept to hurt vehicles). That might have let your tanks survive a little better.

Otherwise, nice job! Keep it up.

Well, with the exception of the squads on the far left, they served thier purpose. I left the squads there simply because I didn't want to move them; high ground plus heavy weapon :). Thanks for the praise on the Ordinance. I always figured it was best to pick ONE thing and then kill it good. Better to remove one thing outright, then take small chunks out of different squads.

Also, thanks for the advice on the Infantry squads. I believe I should have used them to cover my tanks more, but knowing the guys I play with, they'll ignore the infantry. Still, there will always be a chance they fail their priority check.

Sounds like you guys had a great time, which is all you really need, if you ask me!

One suggestion: To help remember what turn it is, set aside a single die (preferably of an odd color or size) and use it to keep track of the turn number. I used to forget what turn it was all the time until I started doing this. It also helps you plan out your game, as you know exactly how many turns each of you has before the points start being tallied.

Actually, I did set a dice for the turns. But once we got distracted, some kid must have messed it around. We had no idea what turn it was so I just set it back one turn less by accident. If you look at the far left dice in the wooded terrain thingy, there would be a 6 on it.

Great report, wish more people were copying Ailaros  :)

Seems you have a quite different guard army, with several counter-charging infantry units, you also play very aggressively, and it seems to work for you. Fun to see a guard army played differently

Little other to add, the army and tactics seem to work for you, I agree with Ailaros though, you could try using infantry squads as bait, to keep the enemy from assaulting your tanks.

Keep the report comming 

Firstly, I wish more people were too. It would be great to see some more battle reports with actual pictures. Makes the reading a lot easier.

Second, I like to play aggressively. It really catches my opponents off Guard. Most people would expect me to shoot at a target, no I WANT THAT +1 CHARGING BONUS! I give my Veteran units 3 meltaguns and a powerfist for the sake of charging the enemy. I am insanely tempted to give all my veterans shotguns instead. Call them modified 'Assault Lases' and there you go. That'll give me 14 shotguns and 3 meltagun shots. Then comes 18 regular hits and 3 Power Fist attacks. Not very powerful, but enough to give you a headache.

Besides, moving, shotting, counter attacks; it makes for an interesting game. I mean, it doesn't work ALL the time, but when it does it's freaking awesome.

I'm glad to see you've avenged the Crocodile Hunter by means of your basilisk.

Anyway, good report.   Your guys look like Star Wars Imperial Stormtroopers, which is cool.  ;)  You should definitely base them though, basing adds tons of character to a model.

Yea, I like the Storm Trooper look, unfortunately they all have BS 1 when Mark Hamill walks into the store :)

Oh, and I would base them, but every time I find the money to I end up spending it on more models :(

All in all, thanks for the replies. There is a Cities of Death Campaign going on this Sunday the Third so I hope I can get you guys another battle report out by then.

Until then. Have a great week.

Toodles.

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »
Also, thanks for the advice on the Infantry squads. I believe I should have used them to cover my tanks more, but knowing the guys I play with, they'll ignore the infantry.

Heh, check this one out. Remember that an enemy unit can never come within 1" of an enemy unit unless it is to assault that unit. If you take your guys and stretch them around a tank like an extra layer of "skin" you can prevent your enemy from being able to assault your tanks. Either they don't kill the tank, and you and your infantry blaze away next turn, or they assault your guys, in which case you get a free turn to drive your tank 12" away and then blow the crap out of the bunched-up-after-assault troops when they finish off your infantry  ;)

Second, I like to play aggressively. It really catches my opponents off Guard. Most people would expect me to shoot at a target, no I WANT THAT +1 CHARGING BONUS!

Dude, get a priest. It does basically the same thing as the commissar, but it lets you re-roll all of your failed "to-hit" rolls on the charge. Plus, you get +10 to your awesomeness factor, plus, you automatically rend vehicles. A small price to pay for losing 1 LD.

Besides, moving, shotting, counter attacks; it makes for an interesting game. I mean, it doesn't work ALL the time, but when it does it's freaking awesome.

Hear, hear.

Yea, I like the Storm Trooper look, unfortunately they all have BS 1 when Mark Hamill walks into the store :)

Yeah, I like the scheme as well. I agree, though, you've got to base them (and then play on a snow board some time.

Winner of the 2007 "Best Writer of Articles", "Strategic Excellence", and "Imperial Guard Poster of the Year" awards.

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »
Let the quote wars begin!!!

Also, thanks for the advice on the Infantry squads. I believe I should have used them to cover my tanks more, but knowing the guys I play with, they'll ignore the infantry.

Heh, check this one out. Remember that an enemy unit can never come within 1" of an enemy unit unless it is to assault that unit. If you take your guys and stretch them around a tank like an extra layer of "skin" you can prevent your enemy from being able to assault your tanks. Either they don't kill the tank, and you and your infantry blaze away next turn, or they assault your guys, in which case you get a free turn to drive your tank 12" away and then blow the crap out of the bunched-up-after-assault troops when they finish off your infantry  ;)

Thanks, that's really good to know! Most modern armies use their tanks to cover their infantry. But no, not in the wonderful world of 40K. We use our infantry to cover our tanks. :)

Second, I like to play aggressively. It really catches my opponents off Guard. Most people would expect me to shoot at a target, no I WANT THAT +1 CHARGING BONUS!

Dude, get a priest. It does basically the same thing as the commissar, but it lets you re-roll all of your failed "to-hit" rolls on the charge. Plus, you get +10 to your awesomeness factor, plus, you automatically rend vehicles. A small price to pay for losing 1 LD.

Yea, I will definitely get on that Asap. I have two Guardsmen bodies left over so I can convert me a Priest. The Eviscerator will be a tough one, but I'll manage.

I do love the Commissar though, but the +1 Ld. simply is not enough. If they had some cool rule stating:

"Summary Execution: If any unit within 12 inches and line of sight fails a morale check, the Commissar will immediately execute a random model within range. The model will count as having passed the moral check, at the expense of one Guardsmen."

Anyways, I'll remember to use a Priest next game if my attention span will allow it. 

Hear, hear.

Amen.

Yeah, I like the scheme as well. I agree, though, you've got to base them (and then play on a snow board some time.
[/quote]

Actually, I originally followed a Cadian 8th ripoff scheme until my first trip the Games Workshop. They had this awesome snow table and I couldn't resist but make my army snow warriors. I wanted to use the table during the game but I was taken. :(

Oh, and I will base it as soon as my attention span permits it. I need to get some of those "Track Astroturf" like things and clue it onto the base and then paint it white right?

Anyways, thanks for the reply.

Have a nice day, and I plan on getting that other report out if I can get to GW this Sunday.

Toodles.

Offline Ailaros

• my webpage
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2007, 08:02:03 PM »

Yea, I will definitely get on that Asap. I have two Guardsmen bodies left over so I can convert me a Priest. The Eviscerator will be a tough one, but I'll manage.

Here you go: How to make priests out of cadian spare parts.

I do love the Commissar though, but the +1 Ld. simply is not enough. If they had some cool rule stating:

"Summary Execution: If any unit within 12 inches and line of sight fails a morale check, the Commissar will immediately execute a random model within range. The model will count as having passed the moral check, at the expense of one Guardsmen."

Heh, you'd still have to make a normal attack with the commissar's BS, though. You can't hit a demon prince half the time, but you have pin-point accuracy to the back of your own troops heads? Plus, I don't know how morale raising that the exacution would be if the commissar had to turn around and fire past enemy troops to shoot your own guys...

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2007, 08:06:07 PM »

Heh, you'd still have to make a normal attack with the commissar's BS, though. You can't hit a demon prince half the time, but you have pin-point accuracy to the back of your own troops heads? Plus, I don't know how morale raising that the exacution would be if the commissar had to turn around and fire past enemy troops to shoot your own guys...

[/quote]

First off, thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

Secondly, the special rule thing would be cool with a bit of tweaking. It's kind of a reminiscent of the special ability in Dawn of War. Plus the Commissar has a BS of 4 so it would be 66% of the time :). Otherwise, I would be scared to hell if a Commissar has his gun aimed at my head.

Offline BrotherTerran

• good, bad, I'm the kitty with the gun
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 11:21:49 AM »
Great report the pics are nice and big to get a good idea of the lay out.  I like the aggressive nature of your tactics, it can be difficult with the guard.  I'm not a priest fan, but I may give 1 or 2 a shot in my next battle for kicks.  I'd like them a lot more if I could put them where they were more useful...like RR or Ogryn squads...which is something I am hoping for when we get our 4th edition codex. 

Good job on the win, looks like there were a few mishaps and bad luck by your opponent.  I'm sure you'll take you lessons learned from this battle to tacticfully wipe out the next xeno or traitor legion.
"Its the thought that counts, but the results that matter"

Offline Chrono

• Spamming Wave Serpents Before It Was COOL!!!
  • Armies: Eldar
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 12:56:10 PM »
WOW! Great battle report. I really enjoyed reading. And i to love when there are pics to go along with it all. If only more people decided to bring a digital camera to their games! I think you played the game very well for the most part, and as a result kicked some chaos ass. Also that is a unique colour scheme on your guys, looks pretty cool, though i also agree that they need to be based such that the white pops out and doesn't just look like an unpainted army from a distance. Also take a look at your digital camera, there should be a button that will activate "macro" mode.. it looks like a flower usually. This mode is great for close up shots so we can see all the detail up close. Though i also understand that during a game u don't have time to take perfect pictures .. but just incase u didn't know.

not to try and burst your bubble or anything.. (i do think u did a great job), but I think there is a slight problem with your veteran squad being in melta range in turn 1. This means they would have to be in 6" (i assume u weren't talking about 12" range.. but the extra d6 for the 6" range). When u infiltrate i always thought and am pretty sure that u have to be outside 12" if u are not in line of site. This means like 12.00001" So technically u should never be able to get in 6" melta range first turn.
SWARMDAR ARE COMING!

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 04:56:29 PM »
not to try and burst your bubble or anything.. (i do think u did a great job), but I think there is a slight problem with your veteran squad being in melta range in turn 1. This means they would have to be in 6" (i assume u weren't talking about 12" range.. but the extra d6 for the 6" range). When u infiltrate i always thought and am pretty sure that u have to be outside 12" if u are not in line of site. This means like 12.00001" So technically u should never be able to get in 6" melta range first turn.

I placed 3 Meltaguns at 12 inches away on the other side of the hill. Rolled a six for difficult terrain, and then such.

We didn't bother to debate over the fact that I was .000001 inches off. I might have moved the model a little over, but will people actually fight me over half a milimeter?

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 05:49:39 PM »
Well, you may not quibble, but I think it is quite important that the rules actually say "must be outside 12 inches".  It is for game balance reasons - to reduce, among other things, first round charges.  So, if you do move 6" and are in the meltagun short range, you should not take that extra penetration die, because you know that you are only getting it because a) you accidentally deployed to close or b) you accidentally moved too far.

It is a game of measurement - too far is too far.  Sure, it may be JUST too far, but how far do you define "just"?  Easiest to say if you are out of range, you are out of range, rather making meltguns effectively have a range of 12.1" or what not.

That's my own take on it, anyway.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 05:52:52 PM »
Well, point is moot anyways. I'll just have to remember to watch out for the extra millimeter or so. The other guy was okay with it, I assumed I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »
Well, point is moot anyways. I'll just have to remember to watch out for the extra millimeter or so. The other guy was okay with it, I assumed I wasn't doing anything wrong.

Fair enough - I don't think anyone was accusing you of cheating.  However, even if you oponent seems cool with it, it is the best practice to try to be as fair to both parties as possible.  So, if you know by the rules that it is impossible for you to be in range even if the models actually are, then you should tell your opponent as much and then play as if you weren't in range.  After all, it may save you from a first round charge sometime...

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline *Nosferatu*

• Why Hello There
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 06:01:52 PM »
Sounds great.

I'll just have to watch out for some things next time I play. Maybe it'll save me from death Sunday.

I should have another report up soon after that.

Until then.

Toodles.