News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Psychic questions  (Read 5343 times)

Offline MadEdric

• Taibhsear Warhost
Psychic questions
« on: January 17, 2002, 03:51:09 AM »
Hey hey,
I was just wondering. If I have two farseers in my seer council that have mindwar, do both have to target models in the same unit? Rulebook page 74 under psychic powers state "all attacks must be directed against a single target unit", but the codex states that the farseer can target "any enemy model within 18" of the Farseer". Since the codex supercedes the rulebook, I would say that my two farseers can target different units with mindwar.
Also, if attacked by perils of the warp, the wound, if taken allows no save, not even the invulnerable rune save, right?
Thankee in advance
Mad Edric
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1011506400 »
Mad Edric of the Taibhsear Eldar

Offline Imrahil

• No mercy, no prisioners.
Re: Psychic questions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2002, 05:51:18 AM »
Well i think yes cause u are in a unit, and u use em in the shoot phase... For the devils attack It says no save throws allowed, but i think invulnerable ones may applied as normal... well see next post :)
*** Fools!! You are truly ignorants of our designs!! Mon Keigh, dont trust us because we arent your allies; we are the scythes that cut the fields.... ***

Offline Prince of the laughing god

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2002, 09:57:59 AM »
I don't think you have to target models in the same unit, but I could be mistaken. but I do know that the only save you get from the perils of the warp are ghosthelms.
This confusion is my illusion

Offline warp_spider

• Where did I park my Wave Serpent?
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2002, 11:54:17 AM »
I read that they are independent characters, so they can shoot independently.

Offline Vhailior

• Veneratio
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2002, 12:14:20 PM »
Tricky question....

They are independent characters.... the rules say that they can target any model...

but they are also in a unit...

D6

Farseer Vhailior of Craftworld Ulthwé

Offline Niran of Asha An

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2002, 12:41:18 PM »
the root of this question is; do models in a seer council still act  as independant characters: i personally don't think so.  please enlighten me.
THERE'LL BE NO BUTTER IN HELL!

Offline Imrahil

• No mercy, no prisioners.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2002, 05:19:44 AM »
Mmmm.... Ghosthelm affair its ok, ill assume its there for something :) but the seer council is a unit so they dont act as independent characters....
*** Fools!! You are truly ignorants of our designs!! Mon Keigh, dont trust us because we arent your allies; we are the scythes that cut the fields.... ***

Offline Lord Calamir

• Member of the Council of Ulthwe
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2002, 06:47:26 AM »
They're not independent characters, but then I think regular shooting rules shouldn't be applied to Mind War.
All hail Eldrad, for he shall safely guide us through the darkness until a new morning dawns.

Offline warp_spider

• Where did I park my Wave Serpent?
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2002, 08:43:43 AM »
You have to do a psychic test for each correct?  Then I think they are they are a couple of independents acting together.

Offline Samurai

• Most Honorable Warrior
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2002, 09:29:05 AM »
Farseers in a Farseer council are not independant characters.  As for being able to use Mindwar from 2 Farseers onto 2 different units, I see nothing in the rules to control this, but I would personally avoid doing it just to avoid contention.

I will admit that Mindwar is supposed to follow the rules for shooting, so that leads some credit to my statement

Ifrit321

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2002, 06:37:50 PM »
About the rune armour, stick with the idea that the demon starts to eat is brain from the inside out, some runes painted on his clothes really isn't going to help.

Offline Lonjon

• Google
Re:Psychic questions
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2002, 05:35:14 PM »
Actually, Mindwar does not follow the normal rules for shooting.  The only restriction for using Mindwar is that line of sight must exist between the Farseer and his target.  In fact, the Farseer can (and should) use Mindwar to single out characters and special weapon carriers.

Short answer:  Yes, you can choose to attack 2 different models in 2 different units.
'Stop misquoting me!'   - Jain Zar

Offline ChadTheBad

• SHAZAM!
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2002, 08:26:58 PM »
Even though the Seer Council is a unit all the members are treated as characters. I hope that helps.
You're all gonna die. Only question is how you check out. Do you want it on your feet or on your knees, begging? I ain't much for begging. Nobody ever gave me nothin', so I say let's fight it!

Offline dark_wind

• It's all fun and games until someone loses an arm
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2002, 10:00:45 PM »
they are joined in a unit so in a sense they are no longer independant characters....so i think you would hafta use it on the same squad...
"And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs and sloths, and carp and anchovies and orangutans and breakfast cereals and fruit bats and...'skip a bit Brother...'"

-Monty Python and the Holy Grail

PROJECT 86 RULES!!!!!
                      http://project86.com/

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2002, 06:11:39 PM »
.... using them on the same squad would really take away the purpose of Mind War and the Seer Council for that matter.

Sure you can't kill them, but if all they can do is Mind War a lousy tactical squad or whatever, they're pretty expensive for just that.

Another question;

The though of a Demon eating someone's brain out and such and thus getting no save vs a warp attack when failing a psychic power sounds logical to me, although the rules don't mention inv saves.

In the same logic, wouldn'tit be logical then that an enemy wouldn't get his inv save against Mind War either? It seems to me that all the shadow, warp, power and whatever fields in the world won't be of much help against a mental attack.

The rules don't mention inv saves in this case either.

Input anyone?

Phoenix
In the beginning there was nothing.
Then God said: " Let there be light." And light there was.
Well, obviously there was still nothing, but at least you could see it a whole lot better now.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

• If I hear ONE MORE PERSON crying cheese....
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2002, 08:33:42 AM »
I really have no rules to support this, but, I think that mind war, from a logical standpoint, should bypass pretty much everything, except maybe a ghosthelm or something that protects from psi damage.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline RedTwo

• Conversion Exarch
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2002, 10:12:42 AM »
I don't know the rules for daemons, and I don't have my codex in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure mind war only ignores normal saves.  A character with an invulnerable save is allowed to make it.  In fact, it's my understanding that a unit or character is ALLWAYS allowed to attempt an invulnerable save if it has one.

I'll admit I'm new to 40K so if someone has info to the contrary I'd love to know it (and which rule book it comes from).
Over specialization builds in weakness.

Offline Dangonblane

• Master of Sanctity
  • Ancient
  • Templar since '98
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2002, 01:26:36 PM »

Rulebook page 74 under psychic powers state "all attacks must be directed against a single target unit"

This rule was put in for powers which allow multiple hits, such as Doom Bolt.  It applies to attacks from a single model, not a unit, so your 2 Farseers can target different units.

As for the invunerable saves thing, if you have an invunerable save you may take it against psychic attacks.  This was cleared up in the GW FAQ.  Indeed, if you look at the fluff for some invunerable saves (such as a Marine Chaplin's Rosarius) you'll find these devices were created to counter attacks from deamons, and hence psychic attacks too.

Offline The-great-Farseer

• One ring to rule them all
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2002, 06:56:43 PM »
actuly agianst perils of the warp you still get invunrable saves think of the psyker oping a hole in the warp to draw energy from the warp and a great big filthy beast jumps out normaL armour it can move right through but an energy field might stop it. As about the farseers i dont really know but i do know that having a concil negernates them being idependant characters as it stats the so and so is an indepent character INLESS joined by a so and so. but then if mind war allows you to ignore targeting resatucxtions you shoul be ablke to shoot.
         Mike

P.s y dont you just have 2 farseers with 2 retunes lol
One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.