News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Balance Dataslate - thoughts?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
New Balance Dataslate - thoughts?
« on: April 14, 2022, 07:36:28 AM »
What do we think of the latest changes?

I have to say that Armour of Contempt irritates me. Not because it is unwarranted, but because it again demonstrates the problems with a save modifier based AP system. I'm just gonna say it: the tiered system we had in 3rd-7th edition was better balanced. Or at least easier to balance. This stuff is getting ridiculous.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: New Balance Dataslate - thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 10:08:23 AM »
I'm extremely happy with the dataslate.

As a marine player, the armour of contempt rule is a welcome addition.

I am slightly worried about how guard infantry squads get all upgrades for free, but I don't think it'll matter too much.

Happy with how they dealt with harlequins, custodes and T'au, and the change to Indirect weapons is welcome too.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2022, 10:43:13 AM »
I'm extremely happy with the dataslate.

As a marine player, the armour of contempt rule is a welcome addition.

It will be interesting to see just how ridiculous this makes Rubric Marines, but it isn't like those things are dominating tables.

I am slightly worried about how guard infantry squads get all upgrades for free, but I don't think it'll matter too much.

This might be a net loss for a lot of guard loadouts. I know I don't usually buy much for my guard squads to keep them cheap, and they usually run me no more than 55 points tops. I don't think I actually want upgrades.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2022, 01:09:55 PM »
I do like the changes they've made overall.  As a Deathwing player, I do find it hilarious that Storm Shields are little better now than they were back in 4th edition where they gave a 4+ invul save.  Overall, the Armour of Contempt is going to be a welcome addition.  The changes to Custodes, Tau, and Harlequins are also welcome changes.

Only thing is that it's really starting to feel like we're at the point where they just need to slap the reset button and get us into the next edition because keeping track of everything is getting kind of ridiculous.

This might be a net loss for a lot of guard loadouts. I know I don't usually buy much for my guard squads to keep them cheap, and they usually run me no more than 55 points tops. I don't think I actually want upgrades.
So for five points more you now get a free heavy weapon, free special weapon, and free voxcaster.  I dunno, that seems like a net positive for me.

If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2022, 01:38:00 PM »
The specials, sure, but vox casters (last I checked) were sort of dumb and heavy weapons you often don't get much use out of, since infantry squads are often hustling all over the board trying to score objectives. Anyway, that's been my experience with guard.

And anyway, the point was I'm now spending between 5 and 10 points more per squad. You don't take Guardsmen for their killing potential; you take them because of their numbers. They've now decreased that by ~20%.

Come to think of it, though, does this mean a vox caster network will let you issue orders to *everyone?*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2022, 01:39:29 PM by Wyddr »

Offline Grizzlykin

• Run little eldar, run! ... And KILL THEM ALL !
  • Armies: Eldars, Tau, Necrons
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2022, 07:49:20 PM »
Well I'm not too sure how I feel about this dataslate, I'm not gonna lie. That said I seriously lack in experience with V9 and different army so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

As a tau/eldar/necron player, well not sure how I feel about it all. I feel frustrated some things got nerfed yet I feel relieved the army I'm going to field are not going to be nearly as broken as they used to without having to try to make a broken list.

I understand the minus to hit for ignore line of sight rules. That make sens to me, because most army might have a way to mitigate that problem. But the minus to AP... not gonna lie I feels it's truly undeserved. I understand out of line of sight shooting was too strong and needed to be toned down a peg or two, but it feels like point increase in the right spot would have been enough to improve/solve part of the problem.

Tau got hit pretty hard but they deserved it, at least some things really where busted and the core change on the broadside as much as it pains me to admit it was deserved. I just feel like just the nerf to indirect weapons smacked them down a fair bit already and might and other nerf on top of that might be overkill. Montka nerf though? Make sens to me, it was broken, even though I regret I did not have the time to play one game with it before it got nerfed. XD

I feel like eldar though have slipped under the radar of GW because Harlequins where THAT insane. I do feel like Eldars are, not by much, nearly as nasty as the harlequins they have just been over shadowed.

Oh and bodyguard rule change? Thanks go that is good, because that rule was damn stupid in my opinion.

So yeah, mixed feeling so far.

Overall though, it looks pretty good. I feel like it's going to be fun to play against different armies hand have some fun :D

PS : But GW can we please stop escalating the rules? We have rules within rules that rules the rules, ruling over the game?
The Grizzly's Arvandor Craftworld!

Quote from: Cavalier
ALL HAIL THE TORNADO! The legend is REBORN.

Quote from: Alienscar
The forum member so nice that even when he is MIA he still gets two votes for being the nicest member