News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Internet Is Broken  (Read 1263 times)

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
The Internet Is Broken
« on: April 4, 2020, 05:18:50 PM »
What on earth is going on!

When the Notre-Dame went up in flames there were billionaires falling over themselves to offer hundreds of millions to help repair it.

Where are those same billionaires now offering to buy masks and stuff for beleaguered health services.

I know people are going through tough times, but where are all the memes and other Internet stuff that takes the piss out of people pointing out this travesty.

The Internet should hang its collective head in shame.
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: The Internet Is Broken
« Reply #1 on: April 4, 2020, 07:13:49 PM »
So glad you didn't put this in the Discussion Board.  :-*

Well, Gates has mentioned building multiple factories for vaccine development so they'll research in parallel till a victor is sorted and the redundant ones shut down. Musk ran his mouth off then provided beslubber all as usual so that's his SOP as before.  ;)
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #2 on: April 4, 2020, 09:38:30 PM »
It's also worth noting that the billionaires who offered to rebuild Notre Dame didn't actually pony up much if any of the promised money.

It's almost like billionaires ultimately don't have our best interests at heart. Huge if true. 

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #3 on: April 4, 2020, 09:51:25 PM »
Ooooh, I'm restraining my politics a bit here, but suffice to say that certain political ideas that have ran their gamut for the last thirty-odd years of steady defunding of public health care and public safety services are now seeing the unintentional fruit of their policies.

Offline Lonewolf

• Cthulhu cultist, The Final Solution | Swarmlord | Staff Soap Spotter
  • Ancient
  • Murdering armies since 2003 - retired since 2012
« Reply #4 on: April 5, 2020, 03:45:28 AM »
I think the main problem right now is less the money but the masks available on the market. Countries basically are all grapping what they can. Right now you can see the weakness of a globalized economy. India, for example, is a huge producer of antibiotics. Now they have decided they need those themselves, so any other country without its own production, is struggling now. Same with masks. Again, India and China are huge producers. But since they need them for themselves, few goods make it to export and those they do are very expensive.

No problem, I'll give you a 100% increase in pay effective immediately and retroactive to 1999.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #5 on: April 5, 2020, 04:10:08 AM »
Yeah, I would guess this is a logistics issue as much as anything else. Our total worldwide mask production probably has enough slack to deal with one or maybe two big countries having huge surges in mask demand, but I'd guess we probably can't deal with the entire developed world having a huge surge in mask demand all at once. And since different parts of the supply chain, or even entire supply chains, are in different countries, this leads to a great deal of unevenness.

We're seeing a different issue with logistics and paper products. People aren't actually using more toilet paper and napkins per day than they were a month ago. But, a lot of that consumption has moved from offices, workplaces, and restaurants, to home usage. So restaurant supply firms and office supply firms that deliver this stuff to workplaces and restaurants (where people use the bathroom and eat and consume paper products) have oversupply. At the same time, groceries and pharmacies are seeing a huge surge in demand.

If we could snap our fingers and give the oversupply from the commercial supply businesses to the residential supply businesses, there wouldn't be any shortages. We're trying to do that and to some degree succeeding, but we're not there yet.
« Last Edit: April 5, 2020, 04:12:10 AM by Blazinghand »
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #6 on: April 5, 2020, 04:23:03 AM »
OMG seems like the broken internet has even reached 40konline. Not one funny response. Even Rummy has made sense in his response.

So glad you didn't put this in the Discussion Board.  :-*

Going by the excellent standard of response maybe I should have. I placed this in the Tavern because I didn't really expect any responses that made actual sense.

steady defunding of public health care and public safety services are now seeing the unintentional fruit of their policies.

I am not in any meaningful way a politically minded person, so you could be right. Personally my gut feeling is that somewhere in all of this is that modern capitalistic life doesn't really work and we should all just go back to being hunter/gatherers

I think the main problem right now is less the money but the masks available on the market.

You are probably right Lonewolf, but in some ways at the back of my mind when I posted this was the idea that surely billionaires could have offered help in one way or another.

Maybe if an old hospital gets fire damaged we might hear from some of them.
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 5, 2020, 02:06:12 PM »
The problem with much of the funny is that it can easily appear to be insensitive to the carnage happening about the place no matter the actual intention. People are doing hilarious things from a Dalek rolling down a street shouting at people to stay indoors to the woman below.

I Will Survive coronavirus parody cover - YouTube

I got back from Kiwiland a week before the serious lock downs occurred and drunkenly purchased a Plague Doctor outfit which has since turned out to be prophetic. 
« Last Edit: April 5, 2020, 02:11:28 PM by The GrimSqueaker »
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #8 on: April 5, 2020, 06:26:58 PM »
I think the main problem right now is less the money but the masks available on the market. Countries basically are all grapping what they can. Right now you can see the weakness of a globalized economy. India, for example, is a huge producer of antibiotics. Now they have decided they need those themselves, so any other country without its own production, is struggling now. Same with masks. Again, India and China are huge producers. But since they need them for themselves, few goods make it to export and those they do are very expensive.

I wasn't talking about the last month or so, I'm talking about the nickel and diming of healthcare system the world over since the 90s/00s, which has seen numbers of beds, nurse staffing, and stocks of equipment getting sliced down year by year as politicians have become more and more used to treating them as businesses, and the general populace has unfortunately all too often bought into that.

The emergency lacks we're seeing noe are decades in the making, based around a penny-pincher mercantile mindset worming its way into societal medicine, unfortunately.

----

Anyway, to be a bit more uplifting, I'm a member of a Corona-meme-group on Facebook, so if people want some memes I might be able to provide. There's a lot of funny stuf happening now.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #9 on: April 5, 2020, 09:59:21 PM »
A good friend of mine wrote the Coronavirus Rhapsody (that parody of Bohemian Rhapsody that went viral), so that's fun.

Someone Adapted The Lyrics Of ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ Into

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #10 on: April 6, 2020, 04:54:41 AM »
The problem with much of the funny is that it can easily appear to be insensitive to the carnage happening about the place no matter the actual intention.

Undoubtedly you are right about the chance of something seeming insensitive in this climate, but I am specifically wondering about the lack of articles pointing out how slack all of our billionaires are being amongst all of this.

After all everyone is having a go at the football players and surely even the biggest 'snowflake' wouldn't object to someone roasting a billionaire.

Yeah, I would guess this is a logistics issue as much as anything else. Our total worldwide mask production probably has enough slack to deal with one or maybe two big countries having huge surges in mask demand, but I'd guess we probably can't deal with the entire developed world having a huge surge in mask demand all at once.

We're seeing a different issue with logistics and paper products. People aren't actually using more toilet paper and napkins per day than they were a month ago. But, a lot of that consumption has moved from offices, workplaces, and restaurants, to home usage.

I didn't actually put much thought into my original post as it was just meant to be a tongue in cheek dig at the way people 'complained' when people offered to help pay for the repair of the Notre-Dame.

I didn't really expect the rich people to buy masks, but I hadn't considered the points above as the reason why. I was reading an article about the flour 'shortage' the other day and it cause is similar to what you describe above. That is, there isn't a shortage of flour and the UK has more than enough to go around (we produce 90,000 tonnes/week). The problem is that the vast majority of the flour produced normally goes for commercial use and normally only 3000 tonnes get used domestically (one bag of flour for every household every 14 weeks).

What this has led to is an industry geared to commercial production and it is a slow (impossible) task to switch the factories to domestic packaging (16kg bags versus 1.5kg bags)

I wasn't talking about the last month or so, I'm talking about the nickel and diming of healthcare system the world over since the 90s/00s, which has seen numbers of beds, nurse staffing, and stocks of equipment getting sliced down year by year as politicians have become more and more used to treating them as businesses, and the general populace has unfortunately all too often bought into that. 

I get where you are coming from Sir_Godspeed.

I have family members and friends that work on the 'frontline' in the NHS and I worry about their chances of getting out of this alive, so I find the whole clapping for the carers thing that has been going on very commendable. Can you imagine asking the same people to clap just four months ago though!

Four hours or more of waiting time in A&E. People dying/being treated in corridors...

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #11 on: April 6, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
Yeah, I would guess this is a logistics issue as much as anything else. Our total worldwide mask production probably has enough slack to deal with one or maybe two big countries having huge surges in mask demand, but I'd guess we probably can't deal with the entire developed world having a huge surge in mask demand all at once. And since different parts of the supply chain, or even entire supply chains, are in different countries, this leads to a great deal of unevenness.

Governments and the media have done a piss poor job in that area, there is a general advise to wear a mask if you are sick (flu like symptoms) and people have both miss read this advise and made an assumption on the type of mask needed.

If the goal is to protect yourself from the virus you need a mask that has a N95 filter, which down here are about $140 a pop, those surgical mask, will not filter out the virus.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 6, 2020, 06:37:15 PM »
Situational as some countries and their media have been doing alright. Mask wearing does not need to be an N95 which should be left for actual medical personnel and not people wandering around. Same as the advisories have been for people going to semi-social locations such as grocery stores to wear a mask as much to protect others from them rather than specifically them from others. If you're symptomatic the best recourse is to stay put, not put on a mask and bugger around.
Drink
Knights Tippler