News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71035 times)

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #520 on: June 2, 2017, 05:07:45 PM »
Yep, each gun shoots whatever direction it wants. Very dynamic.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #521 on: June 2, 2017, 08:42:33 PM »
The digital pricing on the new indexes looks pretty good at $20 a pop

EDIT:Turns out my phone went to the NZ site, Aud price for them is $27. Cheaper to buy all digital formats in NZ, but cheaper to by physicals in Aus. Seems gw pricing is starting to follow their point system.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2017, 12:06:32 AM by magenb »

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #522 on: June 2, 2017, 11:51:23 PM »
Holy crap, brain overload....just spent 2 hours going thru the game store previews books, again holy crap. I'm gonna say that the power points system is looking pretty good. Not to sure about the actual points system yet, it's reminding more of Shadow wars set up, which is good but not yet. Also was able to decide which army I will be playing on opening night. I have a bit of building and painting to achieve before then, but it will be so worth it.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #523 on: June 4, 2017, 01:19:11 PM »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #524 on: June 4, 2017, 03:47:18 PM »
Holy crap, brain overload....just spent 2 hours going thru the game store previews books, again holy crap. I'm gonna say that the power points system is looking pretty good. Not to sure about the actual points system yet, it's reminding more of Shadow wars set up, which is good but not yet. Also was able to decide which army I will be playing on opening night. I have a bit of building and painting to achieve before then, but it will be so worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't trust the power level system except at introduction and narrative games. For true balance, the actual points system is where it's at.

I could see power level being a great way to limit stronger things in smaller games.

Like 500pt combat patrol style games could restrict all units above (for example) 8 power level. Could be a cool mechanic for that.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #525 on: June 4, 2017, 06:34:12 PM »
I do agree with you on that but for now getting our community up and running the power points will help get them started and after they absorb that then expand back to the points. Just getting a good run down on the rules before jumping into actual completion will help ease the transition I believe.

On another guick note, Wonder Woman is a great movie, totally blew me away. DC finally got it right.

And now back to our regular scheduled program.....
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #526 on: June 4, 2017, 06:42:58 PM »
The acts of faith look pretty good.  I wonder if laud hailers are still a thing?

• Ancient
« Reply #527 on: June 4, 2017, 07:11:22 PM »
The acts of faith look pretty good.  I wonder if laud hailers are still a thing?

They can be game winning if used well. Loud Hailers are not in the index, but will probably return when the faction gets a codex.

The index's are simple, for the most part, and I imagine we'll get all the flavour and extra stuff when the codex's come out. Sort of like the simplified army lists in the 3rd edition codex after the switch from 2nd-3rd.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #528 on: June 4, 2017, 07:30:15 PM »
Stopped by my LGS today but their resident 40k guru was out so I could not preorder.  I was planning on getting the boxed set, aside from that do you need the indexes to get what you need for matched play?   Also is there anything else that would be a good idea to preorder?

Since some of you have played 8th edition I think this would be useful to hear.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #529 on: June 4, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
Wait, what? You couldn't pre-order as one individual employee wasn't available? It's not really rocket surgery for that.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #530 on: June 4, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
You will need the index for matched play. They're the source for the points system. We're not totally sure the datasheets, with the power level system and rules on them will be free or not.

• Ancient
« Reply #531 on: June 4, 2017, 07:43:22 PM »
Stopped by my LGS today but their resident 40k guru was out so I could not preorder.  I was planning on getting the boxed set, aside from that do you need the indexes to get what you need for matched play?   Also is there anything else that would be a good idea to preorder?

Since some of you have played 8th edition I think this would be useful to hear.

the tactical objective cards might not be a bad buy either. I placed my pre-order yesterday. Ruleboox, xenos 1, chaos and the cards.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #532 on: June 4, 2017, 08:23:40 PM »
My group are going to keep using our current cards for now. They should still work for the most part. Just discard ones that don't work with the new rule set.

I preordered new BRB, Xenos 1 (Eldar and Necrons) and both Imperial books (Blood Angels, Scions, Assassins).

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #533 on: June 4, 2017, 09:13:24 PM »
Swore I wouldn't preorder, but wound up doing so. Got the rulebook and all indexes. My poor wallet.  :-\

• Ancient
« Reply #534 on: June 4, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
My group are going to keep using our current cards for now. They should still work for the most part. Just discard ones that don't work with the new rule set.

I played a game of 8th using the old cards. They work pretty well, as besides challenges there isn't really many cards that don't work!

Swore I wouldn't preorder, but wound up doing so. Got the rulebook and all indexes. My poor wallet.  :-\

All? Bold man.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #535 on: June 4, 2017, 09:36:23 PM »
Fortune favours the brave, as do the credit card companies. Personally I stayed with rulebook +3 as the Imperials aren't interesting me at the moment.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #536 on: June 4, 2017, 10:22:17 PM »
I'm just getting xenos book 1, I play all the armies in it, made since to me.

Cards??

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #537 on: June 4, 2017, 10:34:24 PM »
Starter set and both Imperial Indexes for me.  Seriously on the fence about ordering Xenos 1 and the cards as well, but thinking those can wait a bit as my credit card has taken a amphetamine parrot kicking the past month.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #538 on: June 4, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »
I'm just getting xenos book 1, I play all the armies in it, made since to me.

Cards??

The new general tactical objective cards.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
« Reply #539 on: June 4, 2017, 11:44:47 PM »
Ah, thanks.

Well it seems the sisters may be a force to reckon with, like they weren't before. Of course I don't have that army anymore. Still waiting for plastics, maybe then.

And assassins, well brutal to say the least.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2017, 11:50:40 PM by Dread »