News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71085 times)

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #480 on: May 31, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
From both what's floating on the Internet as well as the stuff teased on warhammer-community, I feel like I'm going to stick with 7th/7.5 for the time being.

Losing access to all Traitor Legion rules and flavor options when that book was only out for 6 months is a pretty nasty slap on the face. Alas.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #481 on: May 31, 2017, 03:41:26 PM »
I would expect to see all the Legions available on launch, actually. The keywords are rigged that way already and they've got the whole Index Hereticus (or whatever it's called) to give at least basic rules to everybody.

That said, Horus Heresy has confirmed it's keeping the 7th edition ruleset (more or less), so there's always that option.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #482 on: May 31, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
Yeah their are keywords for each of the Traitor Legion, with unique buffs handed out by their associated characters, some of which are insane like with Kharn. They will also get command point buffs, which can be army specific.

Even the Craftworlds are getting unique keywords, like Iyanden, Alaitoc, etc.

All that meaning, Traitor legions buffs haven't gone away, they just work differently and are only enhanced if you assemble your army with all single keywords, like World Eaters. 
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #483 on: May 31, 2017, 04:34:14 PM »
I'm liking the changes to Necrons. I like the new reanimation protocols as well. I'm glad they kept their toughness, but rely on crypteks to boost it (instead of just getting it army wide).

The BS drop on the Monolith stings a bit, but at least it can move and fire all five weapons now...Plus, we don't know the stats on the P-whip yet do we?

With how good the Gauss weapons are now, I wouldn't be surprised if at least Warriors dropped down a point in BS. 

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #484 on: May 31, 2017, 04:36:04 PM »
Particle Whip is right there on the Mono's datasheet.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #485 on: May 31, 2017, 05:56:50 PM »
Well that's a derp moment...

Hmm, I wish the whip was a bit more than D6 given the lower BS.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #486 on: May 31, 2017, 06:14:23 PM »
Well that's a derp moment...

Take heart that the P-whip, as of this moment, is the best large blast weapon we've seen so far that isn't mounted on an Imperial Knight.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #487 on: May 31, 2017, 07:49:42 PM »
Ok. The way they did this point system is super inefficient. A lot of units don't have any extra war gear options, but their base kit is not reflected in their point costs. That is stupid. Why do I need to add a character's unique weapon to his base point cost? Why do I need to now make my own spread sheet so that it's actually organized?

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #488 on: May 31, 2017, 07:58:53 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on how they lay it all out. From what I've seen since I first saw they were doing this (so, in other words, "with the latest intelligence") it seems as if all the wargear will be on the same page as the unit costs, so that decreases the flippage a lot, assuming you remember what options are available to what units.

I do agree it seems a little silly to ask a Vindicator to buy a Demolisher Cannon, but whatever. You can't have everything.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #489 on: May 31, 2017, 08:34:38 PM »
kind of hope Necron's point costs went up... The blurb says all crypteks improve the RP rolls, I hope there is some fine print to prevent stacking those.

Heavy Destroyers, I hope they are 4+ to hit base with re-roll for 1's. A 3+ base with a boost from the Lord to 2+ with re-roll of 1's would be crazy.

There are a couple of hints at some special rules there, "advance" and "charge", kind of wonder if warriors can't charge or run by default and if that is the hit they take for getting entire game length RP rolls.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #490 on: May 31, 2017, 08:40:53 PM »
I think a lot of it depends on how they lay it all out. From what I've seen since I first saw they were doing this (so, in other words, "with the latest intelligence") it seems as if all the wargear will be on the same page as the unit costs, so that decreases the flippage a lot, assuming you remember what options are available to what units.

I do agree it seems a little silly to ask a Vindicator to buy a Demolisher Cannon, but whatever. You can't have everything.

It's not about having everything. It makes no real sense to do it this way. Banshees only have swords and pistols. Why do I need to flip to another page to add up point costs? That's wholly inefficient and needless.

Grrr, rant, mumble lol.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #491 on: May 31, 2017, 08:53:53 PM »
Yet, if you're given a base cost and then components costs for add ons that's the beginning of a built your own system like how VDR used to be so terrible at doing.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #492 on: May 31, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »

Edit:
I just watched a readalong on youtube, the 280 page rulebook is just filled to the brim with fluff, and then som narrative advanced mission rules.

Is it new fluff Gathering storm style or a rehash with a summary of significant battles on a time line like most of the rule book have been. Trying to get an idea if its worth the $$ instead of just downloading the rules.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #493 on: June 1, 2017, 02:53:06 AM »

The Whip is Heavy 6 though, not D6  ;D

So far things are looking good for Necrons imho. I might actually get back to this army, but GW would have to replace the horrible Warrior Kits first.
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline MagicJuggler

• Juggling a load of balls
  • Nobody expects the Spanish Ynquisition.
« Reply #494 on: June 1, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
More annoying in my book is the fact that GW moved away from models/equipment point costs being multiples of 5 in full force. While with 5th-7th it was easy to adjust a list on the fly ("swap 2 Meltabombs for 2 Dozer Blades"), chances are you're going to see a lot more lists that are over or under by 3 or so points and that's just awkward if you ask me.

The cynic in me wants to believe that this was intentional, to attempt to push Narrative Play over other systems, but hey.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #495 on: June 1, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
More annoying in my book is the fact that GW moved away from models/equipment point costs being multiples of 5 in full force. While with 5th-7th it was easy to adjust a list on the fly ("swap 2 Meltabombs for 2 Dozer Blades"), chances are you're going to see a lot more lists that are over or under by 3 or so points and that's just awkward if you ask me.

I agree with this. Always annoying to pay for 31 point models or whatever and try and hit an even point limit. 

The cynic in me wants to believe that this was intentional, to attempt to push Narrative Play over other systems, but hey.

I think, to some extent, this whole plan was/is an attempt to balance out point values across factions to try and create a more balanced game. We'll see if it works (I'm skeptical), but I'm guessing that was their goal.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #496 on: June 1, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »
Well, I played my first two games of 8th edition at the store today, as they have preview copies of the books for use.

The mechanics are really straightforward, but plays the same as 7th. It is a bit weird charging with vehicles, but I really like the tactical uses of that.

We played 1000pts using Patrol Detachments, so no command points.

Building an army was really easy, all the points for all units and wargear was on one page, so no need to flip through pages.

I brought my Harlequins, and my opponent ran Necrons. One thing we found, is that 1000pts doesn't fit as much as it did under 7th. Also, my Harlequins are way more durable. Their Inv. save is one point better, and the Shadowseer gives a great defensive buff to nearby units.

Moving and shooting is pretty much the same as in 7th, but because you can always move and shoot, the game is a lot more dynamic.

Assault was a big deal. I guess less so for our game, as my speedy Harlequins always got to charge first, but when he was able to charge me, him going first was a big deal. Necrons are scary in combat now that they all hit on 3's.

I didn't think about it before playing, but inv. saves are amazing now. The ability to ignore AP is crazy good. Necrons shooting has surprisingly good AP, even on basic guns, and my whole army ignored that. However, his wraiths punished me as they did the same thing.

Looking forward to playing more games, but I really enjoy it. I'm a huge Age of Sigmar fan, and 8th edition 40k is very different from that game.

Looking forward to my pre-orders this weekend.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #497 on: June 1, 2017, 10:07:38 PM »
Thanks for the info killersquid, that makes me feel better. I'm not a fan of AoS so you'very helped calm me. Now, who won?
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #498 on: June 1, 2017, 10:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the info killersquid, that makes me feel better. I'm not a fan of AoS so you'very helped calm me. Now, who won?

I won both games. Played eternal war mission, and then a maelstrom mission.

He was stuck in the mindset that necrons shouldn't charge, but charging would have really helped him. Lots of other mistakes on his part, but he'll get better with more games.

Gonna try my iron warriors next game. I'm excited to try out the new obliterator rules.

Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #499 on: June 2, 2017, 12:21:08 AM »
So, looking at the leaks, jetbikes aren't troops anymore, pooh. Oh well, now it looks like the DE are back to a playable spot, Harlis look better and necrons seem to still have a good army build. As KS said, what I've read, it kinda just looks a lot like 7th play. I will say it sure is a lot to take in, overwhelming. There is smoke coming out of my ears from the gears grinding, gonna take awhile to soak in but sounds very fun down the road after absorption sets in.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword