News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71152 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2017, 08:58:47 AM »
GW is boring never giving the xenos a starter box.

The third edition starter boxed set included Dark Eldar as one of the armies.

Second edition starter was Orks, as was 5th ed. 4th edition was Tyranids.

I imagine what Fenris *means* to say is "the starter set is never Craftworld Eldar."  ;)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
For a very limited version of never he was nearly not completely wrong.

A new day means it's Forgeworld time.
New Warhammer 40,000: A Forge World Datasheet! – Warhammer Community
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2017, 04:05:39 PM »
Another worry I have is that they stated you can play the army you have now in 8th edition as well. While I can assume the data sheets for my Tempestus Scions will be in the imperial index book, I truly question if I can still take them as a battleforged, stand alone army.

I'm also worried that Black Guardians will only be available to the Ynnari faction, and not as a stand alone formation that I can use a single force. I hope, in the least, they make Black Guardians an elite choice for both Ynnari and CWE.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2017, 06:27:13 PM »
Some info plus answers to some questions:

The starter box is £95
Rule book will be £35
Each Index/Codex book will be £15.

Index books contain a small bit of background, army-wide rules and data sheets for every single unit currently available.
Match Play points are in the Index books.

As far as I could tell, all current factions/armies are covered and payable the same as they are currently. So Tempestus Scions for example have their own section and are a playable Battle Forged army.

PDF rules will be available on 17th; GW/Warhammer stores will have a limited supply of free printed rule booklets too. If you've bought Dark Vengeance since April 22nd, you'll get a rules booklet also, along with all the rules for the models in DV.
GW stores will be doing intros and demos of the new rules from the 3rd (pre-order day).

The models in the starter kit are BEAUTIFUL! Seriously. GW stores should have a handful of examples available to show off as of today.

A few of you have said about expecting free data sheets on release day- where did you see that too..? Can you link a source please? :)

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #384 on: May 24, 2017, 06:44:59 PM »
GW is boring never giving the xenos a starter box.

The third edition starter boxed set included Dark Eldar as one of the armies.

Second edition starter was Orks, as was 5th ed. 4th edition was Tyranids.

I imagine what Fenris *means* to say is "the starter set is never Craftworld Eldar."  ;)
Not at all, I wouldn't mind a starter set with Necrons vs Tau.
So far we have had: (with reservations for missing a box or two)
5x Spice Marines
2x Orks
1x Aeldari
1x Tyranids
1x Chaos Spice Marines
and now
PSM vs CSM

That is 2/3 of these boxes factions, that has a Spice marine flavor.
Even Kroot vs SoB or IG would be a fresh breeze.
If my mind isn't pulling tricks on me, I think there was a box with SM vs Eldar back in Rogue trader or possibly necromunda, since I inherited my first guardians from a friend back in 2nd edition. A box of 6 Guardians, with a sticker "now includes shuriken catapults".

Match Play points are in the Index books.
This is Awesome :D 170SEK thats two pizza's ;) Best news I've heard in a long time, thanx. :D
I might just order something extra, to share the shipping cost.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #385 on: May 24, 2017, 07:12:33 PM »
Rule book will be £35

So for Aussies
Rule book will be around the price of a codex/supplement ~$84
Each Index/Codex book will be close to the generals handbook ~$42

will be interesting to see if the free stuff is literally the same as the hard copies.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #386 on: May 24, 2017, 08:14:39 PM »

A few of you have said about expecting free data sheets on release day- where did you see that too..? Can you link a source please? :)

I believe they originally stated something to the effect of "you will have everything you need to play, for free, on day one of release". I'll have to dig back through to see if that is correct or I altered it in my head somehow. If they did say "everything we need", one would assume you would get the data sheets for free as that would be pivotal to knowing how to use your models.

The catch, is the points for matched play are in the Index books. If you want free-to-play, you would be stuck with the power level system to create your lists.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 08:17:53 PM by Partninja »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: May 24, 2017, 09:48:27 PM »
That is 2/3 of these boxes factions, that has a Spice marine flavor.

Wish I'd picked up those starters now. I only have a Ginger and a Posh and now I'd like to have the full squad.  :)

I believe they originally stated something to the effect of "you will have everything you need to play, for free, on day one of release".

Looking back they only seem to mention the core rules. Myself and others appear to have presumed without our pants on, as it were.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #388 on: May 24, 2017, 11:47:24 PM »
Ah! The catch is revealed. There's always a catch. But if it's like AoS, the original was bring whatcha got and then if you want points. Ya gotta pay. Figures humph!
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2017, 12:04:11 AM »
Rule book will be £35

So for Aussies
Rule book will be around the price of a codex/supplement ~$84
Each Index/Codex book will be close to the generals handbook ~$42

will be interesting to see if the free stuff is literally the same as the hard copies.
For Canadians we're looking at $70 for the rulebook and $30 for the indexes.  That really isn't bad if the points are in the indexes.  You don't have to get the rulebook if you don't want all of the extra stuff and just want to play with the core rules.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2017, 12:06:33 AM »
I'll be getting the rulebook as I *want* the extra stuff. Only the one codex to begin with as there's no hurry or rush. If it looks good I'll pick up the others.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2017, 12:09:17 AM »
My brother is getting the starter set. He doesn't play just builds so I'm gonna chuck $25 in and get the books. I'm a happy camper.
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #392 on: May 25, 2017, 01:08:13 AM »
I'll be getting the rulebook as I *want* the extra stuff. Only the one codex to begin with as there's no hurry or rush. If it looks good I'll pick up the others.
Oh, I am getting the rulebook and the marine index because I want the extra stuff too.  I'm just saying, it's nice to not have to buy the big book.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2017, 06:47:29 AM »
As far as I'm aware there aren't free unit rules on day of release. I haven't heard that from any Community post or internally. That doesn't mean that it won't happen of course, but don't count on it.
If datasheets appear as downloads, yeah they won't have Match play points attached. But that shouldn't be a big deal. Match Play is for for competetive gaming; if you're not in a tournament, you don't require them.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »
Fenris, I'm not sure why you'd expect Space Marines not to be included in the boxed set.  They are, by far, GW's highest selling army, so it would make no commercial sense at all for them not to put Space Marines in the starter set.

Regarding data sheets, I hope that GW is going to follow the Age of Sigmar model and put them up for free on the web site for each unit.  I guess that it's fair enough if they don't have the points attached, as that would be  reasonable compromise.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2017, 10:54:41 AM »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #396 on: May 25, 2017, 11:20:01 AM »
Gotta say, the Orks sound like they're going to be good this edition.

I like the missions. Alternating deployment takes me back to 4th Edition when, incidentally, deployment took a long time. Not as long, mind you, as all the stupid pregame rolling we have to do now, but still a long time.

I still think the 5th Ed (everybody on one side deploys, then everybody on the other side, first deployer goes first) was the most elegant and balanced version. 

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #397 on: May 25, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
I do wish that they would get rid of this unnecessary Eternal War and Maelstrom division of missions.  I've never understood why it was introduced in the first place and it has always seemed like a tier of complexity the game doesn't need in my opinion.  That said, since I'm planning to avoid matched play, it ought not to pose a problem for me.

I do like the wide range of missions which have returned for narrative play.  I recognise a lot of those from fourth edition.  This is a very positive move.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #398 on: May 25, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
Missions:
Yuck, unit by unit deployment >:( Now we can't go and fetch a snack or visit the bathroom while the other player is deploying :(
To top it we now only have 3 missions instead of 6 and not the most fun of them:
- 4 obj + slay the warlord. (the D3 for slaying the warlord will likely be a tiebreaker  >:()
- King of the hill, albeit random hill.  :'(
- Take and hold 4 obj.  :(
Shortening the game to 5 game turns instead of 6, undermines the claims about faster games. This is very sad.  :'( very missleading.

Luckily my meta will likely continue with custom scenarios. :)

As for the orks:
- 3D6 assault moves, essentially.
- I like the big choppa, and the mega nobz; getting an additional wound was expected.
I'm mostly curious about the orks movement stats though. will it be 3 or 4 inch maybe.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #399 on: May 25, 2017, 12:11:51 PM »
I'm guessing they'll be moving 6", just like Marines.

Also, those 3 missions you mention are just for the narrative play/free play format. For matched play they have just as many as they had before, plus new deployment scenarios, to boot.

Shortening the game to 5 game turns instead of 6, undermines the claims about faster games. This is very sad.  :'( very missleading.

Yes, everyone knows that 6 turn games would go faster than 5 turn games. That's just science.