News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 93053 times)

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #340 on: May 20, 2017, 01:59:36 PM »
As stated, fortifications follow the same system as everyone else with S, T, W, and a S+.
http://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/20/new-warhammer-40000-stronghold-assault-may20gw-homepage-post-4/
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #341 on: May 20, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »
It will be interesting to see when and how their stats degrade. Will they have close combat attacks? Hmmm...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #342 on: May 20, 2017, 03:22:30 PM »
We can at least be certain they won't, in the majority of cases, be charging anyone.
Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #343 on: May 20, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
We can at least be certain they won't, in the majority of cases, be charging anyone.

In Soviet Russia, ramparts assault YOU!

In all honesty, I wouldn't put it past the orks.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #344 on: May 20, 2017, 10:39:08 PM »
I was thinking more Tyranids and way out there Necrons. Where what you may think was solid is more a case of conceptual reality.
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #345 on: May 21, 2017, 03:51:04 AM »
I could definitely see a Necron building stalking characters with an aura lowering their stats in some way.
I'd definitely be a bit concerned with a greenglowing barn following me around, jinxing whatever I do.

With T10+ on buildings I think vehicles with T10+ will be rare.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 03:55:44 AM by Fenris »
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #346 on: May 21, 2017, 07:01:37 AM »
I could definitely see a Necron building stalking characters with an aura lowering their stats in some way.
I'd definitely be a bit concerned with a greenglowing barn following me around, jinxing whatever I do.

This image is hilarious.

And, incidentally, not all that dissimilar from a Monolith.

With T10+ on buildings I think vehicles with T10+ will be rare.

I think you're right. Baneblades/Titans, maybe.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #347 on: May 21, 2017, 07:46:12 AM »
Really happy about these being included in the main rule set. I think the toughest part of organizing these games was getting a good rule set that was easily available to people. These rules would always be released at the END of an edition too... so I'd pick them up, the ruleset would change over and half the stuff would be invalidated. Nice to see its ready at launch.

These type of games are what I'm primarily interested in playing too. Can't wait
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #348 on: May 21, 2017, 09:56:45 AM »
It's all horsepucky till 8th ed arrives.

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #349 on: May 21, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
Transports are up:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/21/new-warhammer-40000-transports-may21gw-homepage-post-4/

Assaulting from transports has been confirmed.
Looking at the speed of the transport, Aeldari infantry getting M8 is a qualified guess.

Still if your assault unit has pistols, they do not really need to disembark for the assault, just stay on board and fire pistols while the transport tanks all the wounds.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #350 on: May 21, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
I foresee DE, Quins, and Eldar to a lesser extent moving that transport behind the squad they are bout to charge so the unit can't fall back....

Same effect but now we have to really work for it... I really like the tactical flexibility there.

Although I am sad to see that a Lucky lascannon could still drop a vehicle (starweaver yes) in one shot... I am hoping my starweavers can retain some form of invul save...

So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #351 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:47 PM »
Imo it's safe to assume that Harlequins will keep their ++Saves, including their vehicles (because: confirmed for DE). Also, after reading about the Tyranid Faction focus I'm curious as to how basic Harlequins will look ruleswise. They'll dread the 1s when their Starweavers explode but seeing what Genestealers might do in CC, I'm expecting some really crazy things for the clows  8)
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #352 on: May 21, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
Those rules for transports look very promising to me.  It seems that they are going to be sufficiently simple, yet be sufficiently flexible to be of use.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #353 on: May 21, 2017, 01:53:56 PM »
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
I cannot tell you guys how freaking stoked I am! Assaulting out of a transport has been the #1 thing (in addition to short time for games) that I've wanted. Oh man this is such great news for assault armies... Berserkers + Blood Angels + Space Wolves + Carcharodons etc. using Rhinos, Scorpions + Banshees + Storm Guardians all assaulting out of Serpents... wow. Also the transports charging in to absorb overwatch? With Dark Eldar this is soooo thematic especially when taking chainsnare upgrades and the like. I remember in 3rd ed. Wave Serpents had a similar upgrade...

The combo I'm super excited about is taking 6 Dragons + 6 Banshees riding in the same Serpent... Dragons pop the enemy transport and Banshees assault the contents. Such a points saver too with units hitching a ride in the same transport. Damn! Great, great news.

Also to a lesser extent I was listening to Signals from the Frontline and Reece confirmed that he and Frankie were playing games well above 1850pts in 60-90 minutes. Fantastic! I also think he let slip cover not affecting charging units... so Incubi no longer have to go last when assaulting units in cover! Great news for the Visarch too.

The Tyranid reveal was sick too. The Genestealers look nasty! With assault out of reserves all but confirmed its a huge buff to them. Tyranids are hands down my favorite army to play against. I'm really looking forward to them becoming popular again.

Today's update was fantastic all around. Definitely the most excited I've been throughout this whole deal.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:58:10 PM by Cavalier »
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #355 on: May 21, 2017, 05:37:58 PM »
Transports are up:
http://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/21/new-warhammer-40000-transports-may21gw-homepage-post-4/

Assaulting from transports has been confirmed.
Looking at the speed of the transport, Aeldari infantry getting M8 is a qualified guess.

Still if your assault unit has pistols, they do not really need to disembark for the assault, just stay on board and fire pistols while the transport tanks all the wounds.

Yes we can assault from transports, but you can only disembark BEFORE the transport moves, so it messes up shooting and assaulting still takes 2 turns to setup. Given disembarking happens at the start of the movement phase does that mean you can disembark after DS?

The combo I'm super excited about is taking 6 Dragons + 6 Banshees riding in the same Serpent... Dragons pop the enemy transport and Banshees assault the contents. Such a points saver too with units hitching a ride in the same transport. Damn! Great, great news.

Disembarking at the start of the movement phase stuffs that combo up a bit, it gives your enemy a chance to hit the gas and certainly get out of melta range, if not out of range entirely.

Light skimmers should be T6. Right now lasgun and bolters wound it on the same roll.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #356 on: May 21, 2017, 05:40:31 PM »
Light skimmers should be T6. Right now lasgun and bolters wound it on the same roll.
Heavy Bolters got a huge boost by now causing damage on 4+ instead of 5+.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #357 on: May 21, 2017, 05:53:02 PM »
The new assaulting from transports is the same as it was in 5th ed, if memory serves. Wasn't that crazy then, isn't now. Guess it depends on how tough the vehicle is.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #358 on: May 21, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »
The new assaulting from transports is the same as it was in 5th ed, if memory serves. Wasn't that crazy then, isn't now. Guess it depends on how tough the vehicle is.
Wasn't 5th the edition where they flat out removed assaulting from transports, and 4th where they allowed it if the vehicle didn't move first?

All of these old editions are blending together in the mishmash of what used to be allowed.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #359 on: May 21, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
You might be right, but I'm not sure. In any case, the enemy has a turn to react. That's good. No Rhino rush.