News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 71089 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Eighth Edition News
« on: April 22, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
https://warhammer40000.gw-hub.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2017/04/New-Edition-of-40K-FAQ.pdf

It seems as though the new edition is going to be something of a compromise between Age of Sigmar and 40K.  I certainly like the idea of free rules, as the cost of the recent rulebooks has been a major disincentive for me to get back into 40K, however, I am disappointed that it still seems to be the case that all the inappropriate scale units are going to still be allowed in the regular game, which will continue to be a barrier to me.

Feel free to use this topic to discuss the FAQ and the changes that GW are previewing, but please keep all wishlisting in the wishlisting topic.  That caveat having been made, what do you all think of the information that has been released so far?  Will eighth edition be an improvement?
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 10:49:36 AM »
That FAQ is the most encouraging thing I've seen GW do...well..ever. Seriously, they've never been this open, straightforward, and apparently cognizant of how edition changes freak people out. I love that this thing exists.

I am, on balance, very positive on the changes implied. I like the idea of streamlined play, I like the "3 ways" thing, and, though I like codexes, am encouraged that there will be a way to get the rules for a whole faction cheaply. I am glad they don't seem to be wholly "sigmarizing" play.

And if it means I can get more people to play with me, all the better. 7th saw the near extinction of 40k in these parts; hopefully 8th revitalizes the community or even just my own gaming group.

...however, I am disappointed that it still seems to be the case that all the inappropriate scale units are going to still be allowed in the regular game, which will continue to be a barrier to me.

Dude, you know I love you, but you have GOT to get over this. Nobody is making you play with superheavies or flyers if you don't want to. Hell, flyers are relatively rare these days (compared with 6th) and Superheavies are easy to remove via a gentleman's agreement. Play, man. Do it.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 01:09:27 PM »
I agree that it doesn't compel me to play with superheavies and the like.  It just makes life difficult if the rules still allow them to be fielded, as I don't like to ask people not to choose units because they don't fit with my vision of the game and I don't want to play against them.

Getting back to the FAQ, I think that it's a very positive move by GW to release this information in advance.  I also agree that it's a very encouraging step and I do like a lot of the ideas that are contained within it.  I hope that this preview information will prevent some of the overreactions that are typically seen with the release of a new edition.

Despite my issue with superheavies et al., I am heartened with what I'm reading compared to leaks about seventh edition a few years back.  There seems to be a more pragmatic approach being taken this time around and the promise of some streamlining, combined with the free rules, really does make for an appealing advert.

Play, man. Do it.

Maybe, providing you field your Thousand Sons and post the battle reports ;).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »
Yeah, as much as I have enjoyed 7th, it was a step in precisely the wrong direction. The entry costs went up (the costs of codexes and books was way too high), the complexity went up (too much), and the game balance went right out the window.

If they can eliminate or partially streamline those first two problems, I can certainly forgive them the third problem. Honestly, fixing any two of these problems would be huge.

I am much less worried about this release than I was, thanks to this FAQ. I know that, in practice, I've enjoyed all the editions of this game (though I never actually played Rogue Trader and barely played 3rd Ed), every time there's a shift it is jarring. On the plus side, it almost always revitalizes my interest in the game.

It seems as though 8th might be the end of a long, long run of 3rd Edition revisions (which 3rd-7th have all been, at their heart, variations of the same thing) and the dawn of something truly new. In this way, it is probably most similar to the shift from 2nd to 3rd Ed. 

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 02:04:35 PM »
I'm extremely excited for this news... I love the direction the story is going and every item in the FAQ was very encouraging. Especially mention of FW models being included in the update process. As someone whose invested heavily in FW over the years I was worried about what was coming down the pipe in that regard.

All the rules they've previewed are excellent. The FAQ questions were all encouraging. The affirmation of continued community support is awesome... and FREE core rules? Thank the gods.

Hopefully we can get a nice fast game AoS style which features loads of models and lots of complexity.

And I gotta say it the "New" GW has really been great. Its really nice to know ahead of time where the game is going, a rough schedule on when things will be dropping so you can plan out what direction you want to take your collection... or how you want organize things within your community. Super, super encouraging.

I do hope they continue to preview some of the new mechanics as we go forward.

@Irisado- I know you still have a very strong stance on flyers and super heavies which I totally understand and appreciate... but trust me its really not a big deal to ask your opponents not to play with them. Guys who play ALL the time ask me just bring a basic CAD no super-heavies, no flyers. Arranging games has really become the norm and its actually nice because you know roughly what you are getting yourself into. It really reduces those "Gothcha!" moments and just total list mismatches when you discuss competitivness, flyers, super-heavies, formations etc. before you play. Anyway dont want to go off on a tangent on that whole song and dance... but regardless I do hope the new edition draws some of the veterans back to the game, including yourself.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 02:10:25 PM »
The people spoke and GW finally decided to listen.   The 3 way approach sounds like organized play might actually come back something not seen since 5th edition.   

Free rules and no codexs...sign me the hell up, after all this is a miniature game it seemed over the last several years they released more books then models.

After the much disliked 6th edition which IMHO ruined the game for a lot of players then the 6.5 edition (7th edition) I gave up on collecting and playing 40k.  Can't tell you how many years back that was but it had to be awhile as the $200 a month i was putting toward GW has went to other model companies. 

I am glad they are doing a free version of the rules as most of their competitors do.  Easier to play and not needing a library of books... another huge plus.   It seems that GW finally may have learned they are not the only horse in the race.   

I am excited for 8th edition.   Bring it on.  Hopefully it will rekindle my lost love of 40k.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
I'm still largely unclear why people hated 6th Edition. I mean, they certainly did, but I really don't understand why.

Granted, the 6th Edition Eldar codex was garbage just because of Wave Serpents being obnoxiously broken, but beyond that...<shrug> It was no worse than 4th or 3rd and less complicated and expensive than 7th.

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 03:01:19 PM »
I've played every edition since 2nd and have enjoyed them all. There's always a rough patch during change over, but once settled in, I play lots of games and have fun. :)
7th has been my favourite edition so far I think- so much variety and choice has been great, and the addition of super heavies and flyers has really expanded the game well.
I'm sure there will be another rough changeover, but I'll love this edition of the game too. Games Workshop make games that I enjoy playing- can't see that changing any time soon! :D

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
I'm still largely unclear why people hated 6th Edition. I mean, they certainly did, but I really don't understand why.

Granted, the 6th Edition Eldar codex was garbage just because of Wave Serpents being obnoxiously broken, but beyond that...<shrug> It was no worse than 4th or 3rd and less complicated and expensive than 7th.

Lets see, hull points, stand and shoot, challenges, magic phase, bring what you have, flyers, super heavies, assigning hits, rolling for individual models... etc.    10 times more rules to just make the game go uber slow, be non competitive without making an exhausting amount of "you can't bring this or use that" for tournaments.   They took a perfectly good working format and flushed it.   5th you could walk though a game or play a competative one without having to page a rulebook or a codex every few minutes.   

For every rule they added from 5th to 6th they had to add all these specifications.   5th had great flow easy to pick up, hard to master.  That is what you want in a game.  Apocolypse games was the big event to bring all your friends and your collections and just have a game of it.   No one cared if it was balanced as more likely then not several units would get blown off the table by one weapon but there were several more where that came from.   

So to recap...
-keep air, formations, superheavies for Apocalypse
-challenges, magic phase, stand and shoot toss them, keep them in fantasy where they belong
-rolling for every model crap, and losing weapons dragging shooting and combat phases to rediculous lengths..  ditch it grab a hand full of dice i failed 5 saves, remove 5 models. 
-ditch hull points glancing a tank with handguns is rediculous

I am sure there is others I am missing but those alone added an extra 30min to an hour to most games which in turn meant looking up more rules.  None of it was needed and thru the comp game into the toilet.  If you want individual models to do things play a skirmish game where you only have 10 or so models doing it not 50-100.

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 08:42:47 PM »
Exciting times ahead people. Have never looked forward to a rules change before. The mention of new models sounds appealing as well. Can't say any more that hasn't already been said. Just so blessed excited.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
AngelofDeath007
Pretty much everything you name there persisted in 7th and, if anything, it got worse. Yet 7th enjoyed a lot more popularity. I don't get it.

5th was better, granted, but 6th was fun. Besides, vehicles (which were waaay too good in 5th) got nicely balanced in 6th. Hull Points were (and *are*) a good thing.

Anyway, all over now. Hopefully 8th pulls people back in.

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »
Well... its been a while... Life happened... I haven't had enough hobby in a long while.... I played some 7th. I liked it... I am shifting back to playing again once this hits... ill be finishing the armies I've been working on for a while (space wolves, blood ravens, white scars, saim-hann...) and maybe ill get a few games in again before the edition drops... but one thing is for sure... I'm back baby!
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Lazarus

• Infinity Circuit - The Voice of Reason
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Space Wolves & Imperial Guard
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:23:32 AM »
I'm waiting patiently to see what they do. I'm glad that GW is finally changing how they interact with the public.
"If someone used the ridiculous cover saves rule on me I'd probably punch him in the face. If he's still standing he would be entitled to punch me in the face, take my army, and my woman if he can. This is known as the Conan rule of play, and is not forbidden in the core rules and encourages serious amounts of sportsmanship." - Carniflex

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 11:43:07 AM »
The new edition of the rules can't come soon enough. Everything I've heard about the rules is good news to me.

Going to be the golden age of gw, with age of sigmar being an amazing game and now 40k getting the shake up it needs.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 12:02:20 PM »
The new edition of the rules can't come soon enough. Everything I've heard about the rules is good news to me.

Going to be the golden age of gw, with age of sigmar being an amazing game and now 40k getting the shake up it needs.

Yeah, I keep getting more positive about it as time goes on. Just goes to show what a rut the game's been in for the past few years, much as I've enjoyed it.

I just very much hope they don't change it to the point where it doesn't feel like the same game (i.e. WHFB to AoS). They say they are not doing that in the FAQ, so I'm hopeful.

Offline Mr Draken

• Armies: Saim-Hann, White Scars, Space Wolves, Catachans.
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2017, 09:29:31 PM »
As an aussie player who stopped going to tourneys here because of the Community Comp push that we had here... my hope is that with the match play style being introduced.... that we can BURY Community Comp once and for all.....
Carpe Diem Baby...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2017, 10:14:45 PM »
G'day Mr Draken! What do you mean by community comp? We don't have any Tournaments here. Have to travel to Brissy if we want to be in one.

Online Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2017, 11:13:52 PM »
G'day Mr Draken! What do you mean by community comp? We don't have any Tournaments here. Have to travel to Brissy if we want to be in one.
I believe he is talking about this:  CC Terminal

Tournament organizers have gone to great extents to try and balance 7th edition.  For the Aussies, they came up with the Community Comp.  The two other popular tournament formats are ITC (www.frontlinegaming .org) and ETC (European Tabletop Championship (ETC) - European Tabletop Championship (ETC) | T³).

Frankly, I am in agreement with Draken in that I can't wait for the tournament scene to go back to a system where it plays the core game where you don't need a tournament specific FAQ to supplement the GW FAQ that supplements each codex you are using.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 11:15:21 PM by Grand Master Lomandalis »
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Saim-Dann

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2017, 12:04:18 AM »
Wow! That sounds like a pain in the nostril. Kind of glad they don't have any comps in my area now. If 8th ED cancels that out, I might start one up myself. Thanks for the heads up, Grand Master Lomandalis.

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2017, 01:09:16 AM »
I believe he is talking about this:  CC Terminal

Tournament organizers have gone to great extents to try and balance 7th edition.  For the Aussies, they came up with the Community Comp.  The two other popular tournament formats are ITC (www.frontlinegaming .org) and ETC (European Tabletop Championship (ETC) - European Tabletop Championship (ETC) | T³).

That is a huge indicator why people had issues with 6th and 7th edition.  6th introduced too much with too many rules.  7th tried to patch it up.  Problem was they tried to reinvent the wheel with 6th and ruined it.  Everything since has been trying to make 6th work which was like trying to put a square peg in a round hole.  Hence GW basically saying FU to tournament play.   I am so glad to see them change it and give people options and free ones at that.   I was reading all the stuff for the tournaments and it was to the point where an organizer would have to rewrite the rules for 40k to try and balance it, something the game should have done from the get go.   I gave up 40k in 6th.  Picked up 7th as i had high hopes that after the shortest run in 40k history it made up for the mistakes of 6th.  I was wrong.  It was like putting a bandage over a serious injury.  All my 40k stuff got burried in my spare room except my display stuff for the hopes that GW would eventually see the light.   

Here is to hope that 8th will be the come back of 40k for all the veterans who gave up on it after the trash that was 6th.