News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: A change to Interceptor  (Read 1982 times)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
A change to Interceptor
« on: April 6, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »
Hi guys.  This is an idea I've been musing over for a while.  It's a major rewrite of the interceptor rule.  I can't work out how to phrase it exactly but the basic idea would be this:

A model with the Interceptor rule can make a snap shot shooting attack at the end of the enemy players movement phase.  The enemy makes their movement phase as usual, then before they begin their shooting phase, the units with Interceptor make a normal shooting attack with the Snap Shot rule, using range and line of sight etc, with all models using it targeting the same unit (unless they have split fire of course), with all usual effects taking place.

However, if a model has both the Interceptor rule and Sky Fire, then it may make an immediate Interceptor attack against a Flying Vehicle, Flying MC or a Deepstriking unit as soon as it deploys.

Finally, as inspired by this thread, if a model has both the Interceptor rule and the Sniper rule, then it may make an Interceptor attack with it's full ballistic skill.

A weapon used in an Interceptor attack cannot be used in the using players next shooting phase, but if the model has another weapon it can use that instead.

Obviously if this was actually in the BRB it would be one of the 'black box' rules like Deep Strike or Infiltrate.    :P

With this new version of the rule, it would now be possible to give Interceptor to AA vehicles like the Hydra without it being horribly OP against forces like the Dark Eldar.  Is any of this seem like a good idea or is it too much, too clunky, too unnecessary?  :P

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
Re: A change to Interceptor
« Reply #1 on: April 8, 2015, 12:58:46 PM »
The concept seems to be fine by me. I'll try and write up my take on the rules then

Interceptor : A model with the interceptor rule may choose to forgo shooting in their own turn, in order to make a snap shot at an enemy unit,  after the enemies movement phase. All the normal rules for shooting must otherwise be followed.

If a model has the interceptor rule, as well as the sky fire rule, then it may make its interceptor shots at a flyer, flying monstrous creature, or deepstriking unit immediately after it enters the table. These shots are fired at full ballistic skill as snap shots still.

That get the gist of your rule?

For balance, I still think the sky fire shots should be snap shots. Flyers are just to easy to destroy for their point cost otherwise 
« Last Edit: April 9, 2015, 09:11:33 AM by faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run) »
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: April 8, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
The concept seems to be fine by me. I'll try and write up my take on the rules then

Interceptor : A model with the interceptor rule may choose to forgo shooting in their own turn, in order to make a snap shot at an enemy unit,  after the enemies movement phase. All the normal rules for shooting must otherwise be followed.

If a model has the interceptor rule, as well as the sky fire rule, then it may make its interceptor shots at a flyer, flying monstrous creature, or deepstriking unit immediately after it enters the table. These shots are fired at full ballistic skill

That get the gist of your rule?

For balance, I still think the sky fire shots should be snap shots. Flyers are just to easy to destroy for their point cost otherwise

That is correct, but I have to agree, the sky fire shots should still only be snap shots.  So there needs to be a clause that says an interceptor attack will always be a snap shot (unless the model has a rule that says otherwise).  It's the only way to make it fair.  Besides, that's not so bad.  The IG's Hydra can be fielded in big numbers and fire a tonne of shots, whilst the Marines Hunter has that savant lock rule to 'stick' a missile to a target.  So it's pretty balanced to me.  :D

Offline faitherun (Fay-ith-er-run)

• Armies: Pointy Ears and bugs
« Reply #3 on: April 9, 2015, 09:12:29 AM »
I modifies the original to reflect that.

With the rule as written, I think k it is very balanced. Adds a little bit of power without breaking anything I can see
So, what your saying is it's not your fault you look stupid by using words you don't get?
Flawless logic.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: April 9, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
I modifies the original to reflect that.

With the rule as written, I think k it is very balanced. Adds a little bit of power without breaking anything I can see

Excellent!  I'm glad you think so too.  Now this rule can gain widespread use.

Now I guess we need a list of units that should now get the new Interceptor rule.  For starters I suggest Space Marine Hunters and Stalkers and Imperial Guard Hydras.