News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Yup, things were slow...  (Read 4007 times)

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
  • Armies: Eldar
Yup, things were slow...
« on: July 19, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »
As you might notice from the new NEWS items, I am working on tweaking the site a little bit, in order to speed things up, overall. Over the last few months, the site has been hitting some pretty serious lag time during peak hours and I finally found some time to do something about it. (The other option was to get a new dedicated server with more power, but I don't think that Raine wants to pay for that. :P)

So... over the next few weeks, I will be tweaking things and running improvement scripts. While these scripts run, the site may slow down terribly -- we have A LOT of users and A LOT of messages. Anything that I run to compress or otherwise optimize those two tables is going to affect the site (slow-down) while it runs and (hopefully) affect the site (speed up) after it's done.

What can you do to help, you ask?
* Kindred is glad you asked...  :P
The first thing you can do is take a look at your PM (personal message) inbox and outbox.
If you have a ton of crap in there that is just being kept because you've been too lazy to remove it, then please do so sometime in the next few weeks.
We're not asking that you clear your PM box, delete ongoing conversations or remove messages which have important information that you want to hang on to (although, that does beg the question, why are you storing important information on a website? Always keep backups of important info on your own PC, just in case)
However, we'd appreciate it if you could clean anything which is just taking up space like a series of "yeah", "me too", etc. messages

And, as always, be patient as I work to improve the overall experience on our site!
Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

Offline Rakuall

• Never bet against the house
  • Hombrew (Chapter/Legion/Swarm/Warband/etc.) FTW
Re: Yup, things were slow...
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »
Glad it's not just me that was lagging! Wait, that came out wrong. Anyway, thanks for always working to make things better, Kindred. I've done some cleaning as requested.
"I don't believe in no win scenarios." -Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise - NCC 1701
"Why do you always bother me when I'm drinking?" -Max Milini
"That's a relatively open weave and I can still see your nipular area." -Chandler Bing

My brother, now deceased:
http://keegancrack.deviantart.com/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:37:09 PM »
Thanks for looking into speeding the site up.  This explains why there was some very long lag earlier today for about half an hour too.

I've done my bit by clearing out around eighty pages of PMs (inbox and outbox combined), so that might help a little bit  :D.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Killing Time

• Infinity Circuit | I put out on the first date | Tarrin's Sullied Cunning Stunt Double
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:11:02 PM »
537 PMs just deleted

Offline Kindred

• PINK!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:27:55 PM »
wow... you people are pack rats!   I thought I was bad to have 3 pages of PMs....   rotfl

Offline Erand

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:48:05 PM »
135 PMs dating back to April 2006 deleted. Doing my bit :)

E

Offline Changeyname

• Mek| I gotz da loudz WAAAAAAAAAAGH! | Battlefield Orkespondent | Best Modeller | This years Dizz (I lose by choice!)
  • Ancient
  • Wolverine or double Batman.... you decide
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 02:52:08 PM »
Whoops.... 18.5 of 20 pages of PM's now sent to the nether realms of eternal torment  :-[
The Blackest Night falls from the skies,
The darkness grows as all light dies,
We crave your hearts and your demise,
By my black hand--The dead shall rise!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
24 pages of received messages deleted, working on the 54 pages of sent messages now... And enjoying some good reads with some of the people that got mad at me lol
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »
Inbox: 2 messages as I purged earlier in the year.
Sent items: 204 pages. Whoops....
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
I have a 79 page inbox, and 78 pages of sent messages! Well, I've done my bit slogging though it all to tidy that pile up.

Sooooo, who wants to know how many times I've been told off by the moderators? I kept count as I went...  :-[
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:00:34 PM by Hymirl »
Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 09:48:51 PM »
Sooooo, who wants to know how many times I've been told off by the moderators? I kept count as I went...  :-[
Thanks Hymirl, I almost spit my drink across my desk at that one!  I would ask but I have a general idea... we kept very good records :P
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 02:34:57 AM »

More importantly Hymril what is your post to told off ratio?

Urgh 466 messages in each box......this may take a while. But it did inspire me to clean out and help in my own little way.

On another note how much is it to move to a faster dedicated server?

Is their no way to have some of us make a donation to help pay for a faster server? I would say you may be surprised as to how many people would put in a little money but I know from my own experience that is not always the case.

I mean we have a 40 player tournament here in the UK in august im sure we could whip together a small sum......

Offline Shas'La robo

• For the Greater GOOD!!... and the Emperor
  • Armies: Imperial Guard, Tau
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 02:38:56 AM »

Me! Me! I want to know. :P

robo
hug cover, shoot the big ones, and cripple the fast ones. if those cant be achieved, kill em all.  8)

Offline Kindred

• PINK!
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 02:55:15 AM »
Servers can run between $200  to $800 per month....    the comment was actually intended to be a joke, not a plea.  The server we have right now is actually quite good... we just need to tweak some things which were not as optimal as they could be.

Offline premetheus

• I don't do grammer!
  • Armies: Everything, well not Orks
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 03:03:10 AM »
Ha no i didn't see it as a plea or anything like that, just figured that there is always room for a community to help support the long term feasibility of a forum.

Offline Kindred

• PINK!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 05:26:25 PM »
I don't know if you have noticed, but I have... the site has already been much more responsive, over the past few days, even with the optimizations only about half-way done.

The next slowdown will occur on Sunday night (EST)...