News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: WOW, the forum just changed....  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Kindred

• Solitaire Llama Lord | Not a Mass Murderer
  • PINK!
    • Turtle Shell Productions
  • Armies: Eldar
WOW, the forum just changed....
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:07:27 AM »
Yes, the forum DID just get slightly rearranged!

We archived some of the more decrepit/inactive boards.
Some of the other boards got moved around.
Some of them even got moved as "child boards" in an effort to organize and somewhat compress the main index.
 -- The race specific tactics boards have been moved to be child boards of the main race discussion.
 -- The race specific projects boards have also been moved to be child boards of the main race discussion.

The articles submission rules have been moved to a page, rather than a post.

I have re-kicked off the "encyclopedia" project. We have a lot of submissions already in there which have not been moved into the 40kOnline "Glossary". We definitely need some help doing that, if anyone is interested!
Solitaire Llama (Also known as the Dali Llama)
WS10 BS10 S5 T5 I1 A1 Sv1+
Spit, Neck Throw, Guardian of the Sheep

Offline Underhand

• Captain : Godfather of the Hivegangers
Re: WOW, the forum just changed....
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
What does "child board" mean?

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:36:59 AM »
Nice, I have felt that it has been a bit annoying that you cannot easily jump between the main board and the tactics boards of the various races so this is a great change, especially with the addition of the projects, hopefully that will mean that people will access them more readily.

Wouldn't it have been a great time to clean up amongst the inactive moderators too? Right now a lot of boards are listed as being moderated by people who haven't been online for some years or are online maybe once every six month or something so it might be helpful if the actual listed moderators for specific boards are active members of the community that people can actually pm and contact.

Offline SwampyTurtle

• Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • "Death is no respite from War"
    • Behind the lines gaming blog
  • Armies: Tau (Jar'kai Sept);Tanith 1st;Phantine Skyborne IG
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
What does "child board" mean?

It means a board within a board literally

Nice, I have felt that it has been a bit annoying that you cannot easily jump between the main board and the tactics boards of the various races so this is a great change, especially with the addition of the projects, hopefully that will mean that people will access them more readily.

Wouldn't it have been a great time to clean up amongst the inactive moderators too? Right now a lot of boards are listed as being moderated by people who haven't been online for some years or are online maybe once every six month or something so it might be helpful if the actual listed moderators for specific boards are active members of the community that people can actually pm and contact.

I agree with Benis on the annoyance that you couldnt jump easliy bettween the main boards and the tactics baords.  I love this change!

Record:                                    W/L/D
Jar'kia Sept:                                  5/6/3
Tanith 1st:                                    2/0/2

my blog:  Behind the Lines gaming

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »

We are actually in the process of gathering a list of all active staff.  Now whether we remove staff members from being listed or keep them as scarecrows is another matter.

Also there are times when a member of the staff steps away for an extended period of time and then randomly returns, imagine if you were them and you come back to find out that you lost all your privileges.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 12:04:54 PM »
Sounds like good work ahead then. It feels like the sort of thing that ties in a bit to the general drop down in activity on the forum with a lot of dead users posing as moderators.  :-\

As for the privileges, surely they can remain staff while not being listed? I would also say that it isn't unreasonable for someone who have left the site for a couple of years to be removed from their specific forum while still being retained as staff. I assume it could always be reinstated if they choose to become active again?

Offline Zilverscale

• Ork Boy
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:06:59 PM »
Looking good.

As to staff, can you not email them asking if they are on a sabatical or are gone permanently or something?

PAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:18:26 PM »
As to staff, can you not email them asking if they are on a sabatical or are gone permanently or something?

Technically, yes, but it's worth noting that Staff who no longer wish to moderate generally let the rest of the Staff know, so it's usually unnecessary.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Algavinn of the Many Paths

• Infinity Circuit
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Stockholm syndrome is a great way to pickup chicks
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
Pretty much on the same page with Benis.  Staff members worked hard to help their community and deserve to be recognized, even upon retirement or sabbatical.  Some of us have been around towards 10 years.  However, staff exist to serve the community, and having them listed as moderators of forums they are not actively assisting is just going to make things more difficult and confusing for the members who need to contact them.  If we can have any inactive people removed from the list at least where it says: Eldar forum- moderators: Some AFK Bloke, where people are most likely to seek them out.  There's really no disrespect or problem with the simple understanding for all staff that if they go away for a while that their names may be taken off as some one needs to fill those shoes, and upon their return (especially if notice is given, things always come up, but we can't help but put some one to the job sometimes) it may be returned.  Recognition of service and position, and greatest utility to the community.

Aside from that, I very much support the changes I've seen.  I hope it will prove more navigable for our community members and that low activity boards will see more visitors.  Obviously I personally would love to see the project boards treated more publicly instead of like it was a private R&D firm that one happens to chance by.  Come on in and participate people!  Thousands of you have played untold hundreds of thousands of games.  Come share what you've learned, your tactical or artistic wisdom, and creative creations.

What else is being changed or is under the microscope?
The 40k0 projects are constantly looking for contributors and editors.  If you feel up to the job, PM me for info.

Join us in the new General Tactics and Strategy forum: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?board=115.0

Slaughtering Mon Keigh and reclaiming the galaxy since 1992

Offline Calus Drakin

• Armies: Night Lords, Eldar
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:51:56 PM »
I like it. It really does look much neater, and I kind of agree that some things needed to be archived. The Dark Millenium project that I was part of in particular bugged me a little to still see on the list of projects. While there were lots of work put into it and a lot of good ideas, that was about two editions of the game ago and hadn't seen a new post since 2007.

But the forum as a whole does look much cleaner now. I look forward to seeing what else is being worked on.
Considering my chosen armies are Vampire Counts and Night Lords, yes, I think "Back from the dead" is probably the most accurate description of my return.

Vampire Counts
     1 / 1 / 1