News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: It's that Time of Year Again: The 40kOnline Forum Awards 2010!  (Read 16573 times)

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
It's that Time of Year Again: The 40kOnline Forum Awards 2010!
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:38:40 PM »
It's that Time of Year Again: The 40kOnline Forum Awards 2010!

Introduction
For those of you new to the forum, those of you who rarely stray into the community boards and/or those of you with the memory of a goldfish, the Forum Awards are an annual event that started in 2004 as a way of celebrating the great community we have here, as well as allowing people to be recognised for the hard work they have done for the site and/or the people of this site, although we've been adding/changing categories for the last few years and for reasons beyong my comprehension they used to be held in the summer for some bizzarre reason...

Anyway, to start off with, we will be accepting nominations for each of the awards, which will last two weeks. The top 6-8 (depends on how popular each award is) nominations, i.e. the people who get the most nominations, will then be taken through to the voting stage. The voting will take place in the same boards as the nomination thread (except for the general awards, which will take place in the Polling Booth), and will work like any other poll (the exact specifics will depend on how much activity there is in the voting and/or how close it is, so there may be more than one 'round' of voting).

Nominations
There are 31 categories in all, although 16 of those will take place within the specific board they are tied to (e.g. 'Best Writer [Fiction]' will go in Fiction and 'Taverner of the Year' will go in the Space Tavern). You can nominate one person per category*, however you can not nominate the person who won it the previous year and you can not nominate yourself.

* - This just means you can't nominate two people for the same award, there is no limit to how many different awards you can nominate different people or even the same person for.

Oh, and people, please remember to use full usernames and/or link to their profile as I don't know every member of this site's nickname/acronym/shorthand/etc. etc. etc. so if its a different name I'm going to count it as a different person

The categories, a brief description of them and the 2010 winner of them are as follows:

Board-Specific Awards
NameDescriptionPrevious Winner
Rules ExpertThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Hymirl
Fluff GuruThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Gornon
Best Writer [Fiction]The poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.JackofBlades
Best ArtistThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Killersquid
Eldar Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Irisado
Dark Eldar Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Khodexus
Chaos Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Qui-Gon-Jin
Imperial Guard Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Talon Raven
Necron Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Gustikk
Space Marine Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.NewHeretic
Tau Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.O!nk
Tyranid Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Chuckles and GaleRazorWind (tie)
Best PainterThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.DJ-of-E
Best ModellerThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Brother Argos
Master DebaterThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.IainC
Taverner of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.Inquisitor JamBob of the Ordo Moderatus
Ork Poster of the YearThe poster who you believe has contributed the most to this specific board.OD from TV
General Awards
NameDescriptionPrevious Winner
Best Global ModeratorThe Global Moderator who you believe has done the best this year.Mr Peanut
Best Local ModeratorThe Local Moderator who you believe has done the best this year.Dr_Ruminahui
Most Valuable non-Staff MemberThe non-Staff Member who you feel has contributed the most to the community as a whole, whether it is with all around knowledge, acting as a peacemaker or through some other means.Hymirl
Most Helpful PosterThe poster who you feel has been the most helpful to other members of the community, whether in private or in public.Gustikk
Best Writer [Articles]The poster who you feel as wrote the best articles this year.Algavinn of Biel-Tan
Funniest MemberThe poster who you feel has been the funniest this year.Starrakett
Strategic ExcellenceThe poster who you believe possesses the best tactical knowledge in general.moc065
Nicest MemberThe poster who you feel has been the nicest this year.Gustikk
Best UsernameThe poster who you feel has had the best Username this year.Angepisster Weißer Konservativer Hinterwäldler [-Makenshi-]
Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid WitThe poster who has been the most acidic (sarcastic etc.) in their dealings this year.Bloody Scary Foreigner [Dipsomaniac]
Most Likely to Become Part of His/Her ComputerThe poster who you feel is most likely to fuse with their computer due to spending so much time on this website.Tryanotherone
Best Looking [Profile]The poster who you feel has the best looking profile (including avatar, signature, text, username and so on).O!nk
OddballThe poster who you feel is the oddest/most insane/most 'different'.Raktra
Most NotoriousThe poster who you feel has caused the most trouble this year.Hymirl

Use this thread to pose questions and/or put forward your nominations for the general awards (you will need to go to the specific boards for their individual categories). Alternatively you can PM me, though if you elect to do the latter please title your PMs appropriately, so I can quickly tell what is what both upon recieving it and when I need to tally up nominations. If they're not titled clearly (e.g. Nominations or Nomination for X) I may not end up missing it when I double-check to see if I've tallied them up right.

Finally, this thread is for nominating people for the general awards (i.e. the ones not specific to areas of the forum) and for questions regarding the Forum Awards so if you want to have a casual chat about the nominations and awards etc. then start a thread in the tavern ;).

Nominations
Best Global Moderator
  • -Makenshi- (1)
  • Dipsomaniac (4)

Best Local Moderator
  • Grand Master Lomandilis (2)
  • Lorizael (3)
  • Chosen Man (1)
  • Killersquid (1)
  • Changeyname (1)
  • Chuckles (1)

Most Valuable Non-Staff Member
  • Harrison (1)
  • Benis (1)
  • Major Tuesday (1)
  • Irisado (1)

Most Helpful
  • moc065 (4)
  • Kindred (1)
  • Irisado (2)
  • Harrison (1)
  • WisdomLS (1)

Best Writer [Articles]
  • Hymirl (1)
  • GreatBigTree (2)

Funniest Member
  • Dipsomaniac (1)
  • Jawmonkey (1)

Stategic Excellence
  • Gustikk (1)
  • Arah, Peerless Archer (1)
  • Venator101 (1)

Nicest Member
  • Dr_Ruminahui (1)
  • Purple Raine (1)
  • Underhand (1)
  • Wyddr (1)
  • Lieutenant Land Rover Tangi (2)
  • GreatBigTree (1)
  • WisdomLS (1)

Best Username
  • Moonsinger (1)
  • Farceseer Siranaul (1)

Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit
  • Chuckles (1)
  • IainC (1)
  • Hymirl (1)

Most Likely to Become Part of His/Her Computer
  • Dispomaniac (2)
  • Irisado (1)
  • Harrison (1)

Best Looking [Profile]
  • Godofsmallthingys (1)
  • Bourghen (1)
  • Chuckles (1)
  • Nascosto (1)
  • Grand Master Lomandalis (1)

Oddball
  • Calixtus (1)
  • Augstmanifesto (1)
  • Comissar Spiteful (1)
  • Godofsmallthingys (1)

Most Notorious
  • Calixtus (2)
  • Chuckles (1)
  • Corporal McChirpy McTerrerfex IV (1)

~MTWC
« Last Edit: February 1, 2011, 09:50:48 AM by -Makenshi- »
Quote from: IainC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
Re: It's that Time of Year Again: The 40kOnline Forum Awards 2010!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:45:02 PM »
I nominate:

Makenshi for best global.
GML for best local mod.

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
[gmod]Counted.~MTWC[/gmod]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:13:14 AM by -Makenshi- »
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Is Rasmus excluding himself from the nominations again this year?
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Dr_Ruminahui

• General | Missing: a title, and smilies
  • Ancient
  • Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui
    • Some of my painted minis
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 10:28:36 AM »
Yes he is - so don't bother.

Inquisitor Moderatis Ruminahui
The rules forum rules - no spamming, no flaming, no playing devil's advocate
------
2007: Tied for Most Valuable Non-Staff Member (with Full Metal Geneticist)
2008: Nicest Member, Strategic Excellence, Best Imperial Guard Poster, Rules Expert
2009: Best Local
2010: Nicest Member, Rules Expert

40KO IG Best painted - Storm troopers & Chimera

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 12:34:50 PM »
Is Rasmus excluding himself from the nominations again this year?

As D_R says, Rasmus has excluded himself from being nominated for awards again, however we're thinking of naming an award after him or something instead ;).

~MTWC
Because spamming the hotkey for a Deathknight's weapon in WoW is precisely the same as learning to use a sword in real life. That's why when Kendo grandmasters fight, they just stand there shouting keystroke combos at each other.

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »
I would like to nominate Goyder Dipsomaniac as best Global for his swiftness, quick wit and basically always being online.

I also nominate Lorizael as best local for his work in the Rumour Mill, Forge, Eldar and Dark Eldar boards (not really that local), it must have been trying during the Dark Eldar frenzy in both the Rumour and Dark Eldar boards but he (and others of course) kept the boards nice and clean while the Forge had some strange activity during the spring which he sorted out nicely.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:42:44 PM by -Makenshi- »

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:39 PM »
I'll second me Lori for best local for making sure I didn't have to go in there his good works.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:42:51 PM by -Makenshi- »
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 04:13:37 PM »
I would like to nominate Goyder Dipsomaniac as best Global for his swiftness, quick wit and basically always being online.

Darn it Benis, I was going to do the Goyder strike through quip  ;).  Anyway, I'll second this, and throw in a third for Lorizael for the reasons both you and Rummy have already mentioned.

Moving on to some other categories:

Most helpful poster: moc065 - he really does help players to improve their game using the lists and models which they have, which is a very good trait to have, and he's involved in doing this on a number of boards, which make it all the more noteworthy.

Best writer (articles): There haven't been many articles written in 2010, but of those I've edited it, I really liked Hymirl's, both in terms of style and quality, so I will nominate him.

Strategic Excellence: Gutstikk - how he does so well those unorthodox Eldar lists is beyond me.  I'm in awe of his skill (I know you won't thank me for saying that Gutstikk, but it's true  :)).

Nicest Member: Dr_Ruminahui - he's just really friendly to everyone in all the posts of his that I have seen.

Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit: Chuckles or Hymirl....Hmmm, tough choice.  I know that Hymirl has won it in the past though, so I'll nominate Chuckles  :).

Most Likely to Become Part of His/Her Computer: Rummy (Dipsomaniac).  I don't think any reason is needed  ;).

Most Notorious: Calixtus.  Never has The Forge suffered so much for so very little.

The other categories require more thought, so I'll add a new reply for those another time.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:43:00 PM by -Makenshi- »
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 05:00:45 PM »
I nominate Kindred for the most helpful member. Without him the entire site wouldn't be working.

I also want to nominate Purple Rain. I think it is very nice of him to allow us to use his site. ;D

I know the reasoning is simple. I'm half asleep. It's been a very long day. :(
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline Chie Satonaka

• Fsteak
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 07:22:53 PM »
I second the nominations of both Dipsomaniac and Grand Master Lomandalis. Between the two of them they pretty much cover the whole forum. :)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 08:43:13 PM by -Makenshi- »
Play League of Legends? Send me a friend request: IGN: "IRiseAgainstYou" NA server.

Offline -Makenshi-

• I See Stupid People
  • Ancient
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:07 PM »
I nominate Kindred for the most helpful member. Without him the entire site wouldn't be working.

I also want to nominate Purple Rain. I think it is very nice of him to allow us to use his site. ;D

You can't nominate two people for the same award, unless you just felt like mentioning Purple Raine as being deserving of an award. Either way I'll need clarification before counting a nomination from you.

~MTWC

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 02:47:00 AM »
I 2nd the nom for Moc065 for most helpful
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:51:31 PM by -Makenshi- »
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword

Offline tryanotherone - smurfernating

• SPAMMER: I swear I am not an ad-bot!
  • Pray hard - life is short!
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 05:03:51 AM »

You can't nominate two people for the same award, unless you just felt like mentioning Purple Raine as being deserving of an award. Either way I'll need clarification before counting a nomination from you.

~MTWC

I am sorry for that mess.

What I meant is that I want to nominate Purple Rain for Nicest Member and Kindred for the Most Helpful Member.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:51:39 PM by -Makenshi- »
Taking a very long break.

The Rumour Mill - bending the fabric of time and space

Remember Brimstone - legends live forever

Offline RatsofTobruk

• Vi Veri Veniversvm Vivus Vici
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 05:59:43 AM »
One for GreatBigTree for the Article Writer. The man is a machine, and the depth stuns me still.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:51:46 PM by -Makenshi- »
In any situation, the best thing you can do is the right thing. The next best thing you can do is the wrong thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
I'm a middle of the road sort of guy, so usually option 2.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2011, 06:11:44 AM »
Dipsomaniac for best Global.

Chosen Man for best Boss Local.

Harrison for Most Valuable non-staff Member.

GreatBigTree for best Article Writer.

Underhand for nicest member.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:51:52 PM by -Makenshi- »

Offline Benis

• 77 Shades Of Decay | Lazerous Penguin | Death to the Emperor with a Pulse!
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Getkilling
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2011, 06:21:04 AM »
I have come up with some more nominations:

Irisado should be nominated for most likely to become part of his computer but due to his cyborgisation he also gets to be nominated for Most Helpful Poster.

Dipsomaniac I nominate again but this time for having the Funniest Member.

Wyddr gets nominated to the Nicest Member.

I nominate IainC to the Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit.

I nominate Godofsmallthingys to the Best Looking profile simply due to Sir Mix-A-Lot.

I'll second Calixtus for Most Notorious but also nominate him for the Oddball category.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:52:04 PM by -Makenshi- »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
I'd like to vote for Lieutenant Land Rover Tangi as the nicest member.

Looking at his posts you can see politeness, caring and helpfulness. :D

EDIT: Ah, my bad, in that case I'd like to nominate LLRT for the nicest member.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:52:24 PM by -Makenshi- »

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
GBT just a heads up but this isn't the part to vote, that comes later.  Right now we are just doing nominations.  Just fyi :)
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2011, 01:06:41 PM »
Individual voting threads will be made in the appropriate boards and in the polling booth for those more forum wide.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
I nominate Jawmonkey for Funniest Member.

I nominate Lieutenant Land Rover Tangi for Nicest Member.

I nominate moc065 for Most Helpful Poster.

I nominate Hymyril for Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:52:31 PM by -Makenshi- »
Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!