News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.  (Read 34184 times)

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
Re:Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2003, 03:13:02 PM »
Welcome to EO/40k.ca!

The problem is that if copyrighted material is that it belongs to GW, and if it is found here, they can sue and close down EO. It might not matter to each individual member in every small way, but it is a threat to teh community as a whole.
If EO/40k.ca was to gain noteriety as a place where copyright-protected material was posted/shared it would be gone. None of us want that.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Anivin-ra

• Ancient
  • does this dress make me look fat?
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2003, 07:24:15 PM »
as ras so wonderfully illistrated there are plenty of places and ways in which you can get , share and copy intelectual property. However we here at eo would like to set a higher standard for the protection of intelectual property.
 see look at it like this some one makes a good or service and they want to get money from it so they can continue to make that good or service ... but as soon as they make it some yahoo copys it and spreads it all over... so the person who made it can't get money for their stuff because every one can get it for free.
so they stop.
so here's the botom line if you like warhammer and warhammer 40k then do the world a favor and buy the stuff.  if you steel it (that's what you are dooing when you down load codexs or copy them for your friends) so when you steel stuff it makes the co raise their prices so that those of us who buy the stuff have to pay more. It's a vishious cycle that only ends up herting all of us ... so just don't.
"old" scorpion tail

Offline Farseer Ourbos

« Reply #42 on: August 1, 2003, 04:02:53 AM »
They need to pay artists, writers and games designers to sit around and THINK of stuff. For an accountant, that hurts. =)

Those writers do a bloody good job too, most of the time. And on that note, I think that when the writers make a crappy storyline for a new race, codex, etc. I think GW should lower the prices on the product to compensate us, the players, for a crappy product. lol
Let them hate, so long as they fear... Let them fight, so long as they die.

Offline fillerbunny

• Skerboinken!!
« Reply #43 on: August 3, 2003, 05:32:29 PM »
Right. Can't have copyright violations and stay in business. Take a look at the Army Builder program. Every special rule gives a brief description and then references the Codex and/or rulebook.
 All the data files for the armies are free, but useless without buying the relevant books.
I have powers Pinto Beans can only dream of!!

Offline Farseer Phil

• Kill me. See if I care.
« Reply #44 on: August 3, 2003, 09:52:39 PM »
Could you use the official MLA (Modern Language Association) bibliographic format for citations?  Like you have to use in reports for school and such?  For the rulebook, it would be like:

Author.  Title.  City where published:  Publisher, year.

For example:

Doe, John.  How to Eat Pie.  New York:  Anonymous Publisher, 2003.

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #45 on: August 3, 2003, 10:14:55 PM »
No you cannot expecially for thigs like stats, although when the situation requires it you are allowed to quote certain sentaces from the BB for rules clarifications, but no stats what so ever.

For army builder i am guessing that they have GW's permission since the people at GW use the program as well.

Offline Haakon

• I'm a llama!
    • none
« Reply #46 on: August 5, 2003, 03:17:01 AM »
Alright, Hi all, I'm a new member and this is my first post, but anyway, with the army builder, it is not free, you can d/l a demo then pay a fee for the full version, so i'm guesssing GW may receive some of the profit that the 'Lone Wolf' development team makes from the sales of the AB.

Haakon

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
    • In case anyone is wondering what I do at university
« Reply #47 on: August 5, 2003, 07:55:07 AM »
Hello all,

Fisrt of all, Welcome to EO/40K.CA Haakon :D! Enjoy your stay here at the site and around the forums!

Second, From what I've heard (I don't have AB) you still need the relevant codices to actually play the game, as there is quite some information that is not supplied with AB.
It's quite possible that GW gets some of the profits from AB, but I don't really think that they do. The software is elatively cheap, and there is no mention on GW at all. Also, the application isn't written for GW games, but as a general army list creater for whatever game you want it to use for.

To be really sure of course, you could always ask the boyz at Lone Wolf, and they'll give you the answer (as I don't think that it's quite a secret or anything ;)).

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Read about my  Daughters of the Martyred Lady (Sisters of Battle).
Check out my collection of Manga and Anime.

Offline Haakon

• I'm a llama!
    • none
« Reply #48 on: August 5, 2003, 08:08:16 AM »
Hi Ulthrion, thx for the welcome. I couldn't find an intro thread (or similar) so if you could direct me... lol.
I'm 16 y.o.a.  I'm not new to 40K, and also not new to 40K online groups (I'm a member of Spacewolves/msn), but... I am new to eldar and was told to have a look at what you guys had to offer, I'm impressed.
Anyways... just to clarify my above post, I only stated that GW 'may' receive some of the profit, but as you put in your reply that there are many contributors to the files.
Anyways, chat to you all later.

Haakon

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
« Reply #49 on: August 5, 2003, 08:51:33 AM »
Hello all,

No problem, you are welcome, that's the whole point ;).
Anyways, try looking in the Beginners and Newbies  board. There's is a stickied thread called 'newbies' there, which is for introductions :).

See you around!

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Offline Anivin-ra

• Ancient
« Reply #50 on: August 5, 2003, 01:29:43 PM »
hey I never got ab I don't like it. the info that it provides is some what inaccruate from time to time. becides I'm an old guy, a codex , piece of paper and a calculater and I'm set.
 that's the way things were and we liked it that way you darn kids don't appreciate nothin.... ahem sorry
 serioulsy though ab will give unit size and upgrades it will not tell you how to play the game nor will it tell you what those upgrades do. so yes you do need to buy the appropreate codex/army book.
 aslo knowing what I know about gw they absolulty get a commision from ab. many times you can't even mention certen things from gw without having to pay for it in some way.

one last note  about ab  I play all kroot ... all the shapers (except vulture shapers ) can have 2 kroot hounds as wargear.... try making that happen in ab.
"old" scorpion tail

Offline fillerbunny

• Skerboinken!!
« Reply #51 on: August 5, 2003, 03:59:54 PM »
Actually, you CAN make that happen in AB.
Here's the deal. AB(as stated before) is just a generic bulder program. You actually have to download the game relevant data files for it to work. Those are free, and usually NOT written by Lone Wolf. GW makes zippo off the data files.
You can write your own data files by downloading the ABCreator program.(also free) Takes alot of time and is somewhat complicated, but you get the hang of it. I've finished the files for three of the four Undivided Chaos legions already. Now, I'm not to knowledgeable on copyright laws, so I stick with referencing any special rules and abilities to the relevant books. Seems the safe way to go as that is what the previous writers have done.
 I just used AB as an example before because they give you info, but not enough to not have to buy the books.
I have powers Pinto Beans can only dream of!!

Offline Jowicota101

• Promoting World Peace Through Painted Eldar Minis
    • My Diary
« Reply #52 on: September 1, 2003, 01:49:57 PM »
I apologize for being so strict about this...

Never apologize for doing something that will make your forums a better place. :)

Offline Aziraphale

• If there is one god, there might as well be more
« Reply #53 on: September 3, 2003, 03:38:25 AM »
Just remember, that you can always go to your local GW or other hobby games store and have a short look in any of the codices. Thus it probably isn't a problem to quote a special rule or to write some of the stats for a model. Also nobody can be sure that the quote is correct unless they have the codex.
So please don't start screaming just because someone tells someone else, that a farseer is only strength 3 or something like that.
The law, in it's magnificent equality forbids the rich as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets and to steal bread.

Offline Lomendil

• Mad Prophet of Commorragh
  • Ancient
  • If it's comprehensible, it's obselete
« Reply #54 on: September 3, 2003, 07:31:16 PM »
So please don't start screaming just because someone tells someone else, that a farseer is only strength 3 or something like that.

Small things like that are excusable, though still technically illegal. It's not something that GW would be too worried about, so we overlook tiny things like that.

Complete rules and full stat-lines are out of the question though, we just can't allow 'em. Those are larger breaches of copyright, GW can and has shut down sites for too many such breaches. While it is true that people can wander into their local GW store and browse the Codexes, that's nothing to do with us so we can't use that to justify breaking GWs copyright. We aren't allowed to publish copyrighted information without permission, end of story. It's just not worth risking a legal case over it.

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
« Reply #55 on: September 4, 2003, 01:45:20 AM »
Hello all,

While it is true that people can wander into their local GW store and browse the Codexes, that's nothing to do with us so we can't use that to justify breaking GWs copyright. We aren't allowed to publish copyrighted information without permission, end of story. It's just not worth risking a legal case over it.

There is quite a lrge difference between going toa specilist store, and reading it online.
By going to the store, you cme in an environment they cerated. You more easily buy things, and they have the option of talking to you about it (making you interested, and and possible get you to buy something).
All these oppoortunities to promote the hobby even more, and all those opportunities to sell stuff, are all bypassed if things were readable online.

Even if you just go to the store to check a rule out, you're subconsiously influenced by the models, the games that are played at the moment, and everything else around you.

So remember that there is a big difference here, and as Lomendil said: why run the risk?

Farseer Ulthrion
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Offline lapiaz

« Reply #56 on: September 5, 2003, 03:43:21 AM »
this is a real example: somebdy call to the GW store and ask how to deal whit a vehicle the manager  of the store is on the phone and aask if you have thi or that weapon the guys say no the maneger respond well you are screw up you should buys the models sorry I have a costumer and hang up. try to get a rule clarification from roolzboys ,take like a week and half of the time they are wrong to. try to get info from the GW website 90% is plain oriented to sell. Why EO his so good? because  here we can just ask and get a simple anwser whithout spend... priceless. I see whit sorry how GW his digging the grave of 40K... . they shoot down the internet sales After that my friends  just buy on ebay or in aucctions on GW stores were almost every body stop biding when the price is getting close to the 50%  of the real price I belive that this site as bring more people to this hobby than a particular store if they kill that to then this hobby is dead and burried.......

Offline Anivin-ra

• Ancient
« Reply #57 on: September 6, 2003, 07:04:04 PM »
Calling a store may not always be the best thing depending on the store and the people running it. and some times the people woking.
 I have two shining examples.
 great escape games ... if you are in thier store longer than 10 minutes and are not buying anything they will ask you to purchas or leave ... they do not talk to you on the phone and are rude rude rude ... on the flip side of that coin strategic games  run by SCOTT is awsume he gives 20% off all the time and he kicks he always has a full invintory and if he doesn't have what you want he will get it for you.
if you have some questions call him
  (916) 864-4263     or fax him  (916)864-4220
most likely you can e-mail him at
 thomasxtwo@aol.com
you can ask him any questions about rules prices and waht not he even ships ...
OKOK I know it's a shame less promo but he's a great guy and his store rocks he even has been helping this board in a round about way.
 in the trading forum the whats my stuff worth thread I have him read that and give me prices and what not.

any way  it all depends on the store.
 if you have any questions about the rules and what not ask me and I  can just make up something and send it to you. I can even make it look offical ... just let me know how you want it to go LOL !!!

well mr. johnson in that poticular incodent the falcon would in fact move 45 inches and auto kill what ever it shoots at on a roll of 1+ no armor saves allowed. also the banchees could use there fof rule to jump out of the back and auto assalt the units of thier choice. with +3 attaks due to the extreem speed .....  ;) it could work !!

"old" scorpion tail

Offline Russnuss

« Reply #58 on: September 9, 2003, 02:59:31 PM »
What's the freakin deal with not buying the Codexes anyway!?  THEY'RE ONLY LIKE 17 DOLLARS!  What you should be complaining about are the 5 and 10 dollars for two models (elite models needed to play) I checked the online site and its around 5 points for a dollar no matter what you buy!  Of course you look around for the deals 20% off etc. but still that's around 4 bucks a point.  They really need to make an online game that is identical to the table top (not the sorry video game they made awhile back) and then there'd be a lot of players!  Course it would probably cut mini sales and that's where they make the money  :(.
Therefore, if the enemy is at ease, be able to exhaust him;

if the enemy is well fed, be able to starve him;

if the enemy is settled, be able to move him;

appear at places where he must rush to defend, and rush to places where he least expects.
                    Sun Tzu The Art of War

Offline Farseer ShadowDragon

• True Legends never die...
    • Myspace
Re: Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.
« Reply #59 on: February 7, 2005, 11:00:03 PM »
yes a codex really isnt asking for much considering it costs about 112$+ for a 10 man squad of Wrath Guard and a Warlock...10$ for one fricken modle, thats just wrong. its hardly larger then a norm unit.
Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back.