News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.  (Read 34185 times)

Offline Warhoon

• The Cranky Old Geezer
  • Ancient
  • Defender of the 7th Fane of Alaitoc
Re:Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2002, 10:12:20 AM »

I've seen a bunch of people saying they can't give out rules because it's in violation of copyrights. Not like a whole codex, just people asking how a Falcon works or something like that. Why do they think it's illegal to explain the rules for a Falcon and then outline how it's used? IS it? I'd immagine that if you cited the page, etc of where you're getting it from that you should be able to explain it to a newbie or whoever, just so long as you don't go overboard.

It's a fine legal line and many people just don't want to even chance geting the board shut down.

Speaking for myself as one who likes to answer rules questions, a lot of the time it's my perception of whether the query-er has even purchased the rules.

A lot of times users ask questions because they don't want to buy the rulebook.  Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not.  If it looks that way, I'll just site page numbers.  If it's obviously an interpretation question I'm happy to help.

It just burns me when someone says "it's too expensive -- I don't want to buy a $40 rulebook" or whatever.

I know dang well it's expensive.  I didn't want to pay that much either -- I'm not an idiot compared to this bozo's fiscal genius.  But I didn't want to depend on my fellow gamers to spend their hard-earned money to answer rules questions I could figure out from reading myself.

It's like going into a restaurant and begging for food because you don't want to buy your own meal because it's too expensive.

Whar ah come from, that's called a "bum".

/rant
I used to spend how much on 40K?

Offline cento

• It's not stupid; it's ADVANCED...
    • Cento Gallery &ampampamp; Workshop
« Reply #21 on: August 3, 2002, 07:13:51 PM »
And people -

Please remember that stealing and using other people's images and photos online is still copyright infringement and therefore illegal.

There have been a couple of cases recently of people here on EO posting pictures of other people's work and pretending that it is their own.  A recent case of this can be seen in this thread: http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=10704

It is a pretty small world and an even smaller online community - think before you steal - you'll likely get caught.

Offline cento

• It's not stupid; it's ADVANCED...
    • Cento Gallery &ampampamp; Workshop
« Reply #22 on: August 4, 2002, 06:52:26 PM »
You didn't use the color scheme, you are using my actual photo (or flatbed scan as it were) and posted it as your own!  You can see it (and a bunch more all done in a similar style here:http://www.bananaking.net/cento/gallery/archive/index.htm

THAT is illegal, and libel and slander only apply if it is untrue - something I am not worried about in this case as the truth is SO easy to prove - take another picture of your figure with a note attacheddelaring me incorrect.  I will do the same tomorrow - I have the figure to take a picture of and I know you don't.  It is as simple as that.

Offline Ner'zhul, the Liche King

• For the Liche King!!!
    • Commorragh.org
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2002, 07:35:43 AM »
While we're on the topic, I have a BIG question about GW and I thought maybe you guys might know.

Anyhoo, here it is...

Why does GW charge so Yhwh-condemned much for it's miniatures? It really makes it difficult for me to get an army. I really don't have that much money, and next to many other stuff I'm forkin over money to, I just don't have the funding or the time to paint a large, epic army, which are the type of battle's I'd like to get into.

- Emperor Ner'zhul
  Ruler of the Black Death Kabal
  Sole creator of the Undead Scourge

Offline Anivin-ra

• Ancient
  • does this dress make me look fat?
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2002, 02:52:59 PM »
the question that your asking is really a dynamic one.
 the answer is equally dinamic gw charges so much for their models because thay know poeple will pay for them.
 what that really translates to is the fact that gw fallows the laws of supply and demand like any other money making co.
 if sales in a certin area drop off they will either change the stats to make that unit better IE bolstering sales by need for that model in your army or if they cant increes the stats of the model without  throwing off the game then they will cut it out of the game.
after that they will licence it out to other companys IE forge world.
if it's a nessasary part of the game and people just arn't buying it then they will lower the price.
 if your local gw store gets to many of an item and there not moving off the shelves they may take a loss and sell it at a discounted price.
 the best example is when the new edditions have just come out with a new model line... buy the old model line becasue they will almost always be on sale ( nobody will want old and inferrior compaired to new and improved)
as long as gw is making a profit at it's current prices then they will stay or rise in fact it's likly based on the history of the co. that we will see another price increase and model decrees IE you used to be able to buy more models in the box sets for a little less now you get less modes and you pay more. gw makes a bigger profit.
remember there a co out to make money not a charity to bring a game to the masses.
 if your financily straped and have little time try staying in one or two box sets and playing small scermishes with your friends and slowly collect and paint your army. you'll be suprised in a few years how big your army gets.
also if you don't have allot of mony check out the trading post there is always a good deal to be had there. finaly if you don't have money or time then maybe this isn't the hobbie for you. it is very costly and time consuming ,not only in modeling but you'll exsost a large amount of time playing. remember the bigger your army the longer the game.
"old" scorpion tail

Offline SparqMan

• Pimpmaster General
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Read the Codex.
    • The Daily Jolt
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2002, 01:00:58 PM »
It is also an expensive business for GW to run.

They need to pay artists, writers and games designers to sit around and THINK of stuff. For an accountant, that hurts. =)

Also, the moulds that GW uses to make the plastic and metal miniatures are ridiculously expensive to create and maintain.

GW also provides a staff of people who exist solely to answer questions about rules--that's pretty impressive. Those people have to be paid too, along with all the other people who work in the business.

The miniatures are sold at an equilibrium price. Yeah, you're willing to pay $20 for a box set...but you wouldn't pay $50.

Offline Harlequin Solitaire

• Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2002, 01:12:10 PM »
true. I still don't like paying it though!  ;D
"An eye for an eye, and soon the whole world is blind" - Gandhi

Offline miclantecuthli

• The Unpronouncable Man
  • Ancient
  • Forever in debt to your priceless advice
  • Armies: Empire (AoS), Chaos (AoS)
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2002, 09:22:49 AM »
It's indeed expensive for GW too, but their prices are often higher than the prices of other miniature companies. GW mostly has a better service, but they also sell 10 times more. I know players who use miniatures from other companies, because it's cheaper.
Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear And I'm floating around my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Offline Anivin-ra

• Ancient
  • does this dress make me look fat?
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2002, 01:24:58 PM »
this is something i also practice as i'm building a kroot army all the scout riding beasts will be from reaper as they are just as good looking and about 1/3 the cost of gw cold ones.
"old" scorpion tail

Offline Ulthwe-Zorox

• (no, I'm no longer a lama!)
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2002, 04:00:56 PM »
What about asking for the stats of a model?

Offline Monoglycer

• Supa-Mekboy!
  • Ancient
  • Hard work pays off later but laziness pays off NOW
    • Eldaronline
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2002, 10:42:55 PM »
That is asking to copy the direct numbers and such from the rule book or codex which falls under the copyright law.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2003, 10:19:11 AM by Monoglycer »

Offline Koonitz

• Ignorance is your greatest enemy
  • Ancient
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2002, 10:57:16 PM »
Basically, don't ask the old cronies and experts (Tee hee) things that can easily be found in any of the rules books printed by Games Workshop. For instance: What are the stats for the Wraithlord (As if anyone DOESN'T know!), or what does a Vibro Cannon do? (A what? I've never seen that before!? Oh... Eldar eh? Gee... Never heard o' it...  ::) )
But, something like, What does a StarCannon look like? Or something like, my Daemon Prince with Daemonic Stature his standing behind a Rhino, can he still be shot at? These are okay. (Didn't wanna have ALL Eldar examples, and thought Chaos would approve of a plug for their race, being the "New Guy on the Block" so to speak.)
"I like to think of this lovely place as my home. Now you wouldn't even think about upsetting me in my home, would you? Of course you wouldn't. So do what I say, when I say, and I won't get upset. I do bad things when I'm upset."
-Drill Instructor, MechWarrior 2

"It is not my responsibility to prove you are wrong. It is your responsibility to prove you are right."
-Koonitz

"The next time you decide to stab me in the back, have the guts to do it to my face."
- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Offline wellard

• Master Gunner
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2002, 11:02:29 PM »
chaos new????

grey knights are the new guys now? arn't they ???

jim ;)
They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning.

We will remember them

Offline klardom

• Coffee: That which gives substance to life.
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2002, 11:42:55 PM »
wow, that post was pointless.  

And I think Koonitz basically got it.  Don't ask for specific rules (IE:  Whats skimmer mean?  or what's rapid fire?), weapons or units stats, or anything like that.  These questions will just be answered with a page number in the BBB (which you should get a copy of anyways) and a reference to this thread.  SO don't waste our time trying to get rules.  Ask a friend, buy a rulebook, look in a friends rulebook, whatever.  But don't ask us.  THis is a great site and I'd hate to see it shut down because some people feel like posting Copyrighted GW rules.

And if you think the rulebook is too expensive, well, welcome to GW hobbies.  Nothing's cheap.  
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Offline Dustraven

• Be Sadistic. That's why I love the Dark Eldar
    • Realm of Sadistic
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2003, 05:21:20 AM »
If your entire income was based on copyrights, wouldn't you want to protect them?

I wouldn't say that. Their entire income is based on the sale of overpriced models that happen to be essential parts of a truly addicting hobby. And if you mean that their income is based on the copyright of their products, isn't every company's? or...?
Long Live Dark Eldar

Offline Alucard

• Finally a battle worth the time!
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2003, 10:34:19 PM »
No, not every comany's income is based on copyrights, any retail based company makes money from buying items wholesale, and selling them at a price based on cost and the ammount of money required to pay their staff.

GW's is based on copyright, because if they didn't have said copyright, any old miniatures company could make knock-off models and sell them for an arseload less then GW do, similiar with rule books, just make the same book and sell it for less, suddenly GW make nothing.
In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into eternal damnation. Amen.

Offline Zamael

• 6'3,230lbs of freight train muscle,age 16
« Reply #36 on: July 9, 2003, 12:56:12 AM »
hey uh what about like in codices(thats right isnt it) theres little quotes that a commander says or somthin(usually in a little black box) can u use those for signatures and stuff, cus theres no writer should u just put the codex or book name? or can u do this at all
Im not as dumb as you look!!

I HATE PANTS

Offline Rasmus

• The Ratcatcher
  • Ancient
  • Lost Roads are now found!
    • 40kOnline
  • Armies: Squats
« Reply #37 on: July 9, 2003, 04:53:12 AM »
I doubt quoting marginal-fluff would be a problem at all.
Just don't pretend you made it up.

Lost Roads - finally released!

YouTube-clip of my Squat army.

Offline Chi no Tenshi

• Erstens kommt es anders, zweitens als man denkt.
« Reply #38 on: July 9, 2003, 04:33:15 PM »
Well I think they did not get a patent on words of common use. And unless You don't write those lines into an own book and try to sell it... who should care?

*looking at own quote* ... I hope no one cares... ::)
'The Red Thirst is the Blood Angels' darkest secret and greatest curse, but it is also their greatest salvation, for it brings with it a humility and understanding of their own failings which make the Blood Angels the most truly noble of Legion Astartes'

Offline 99rg5675

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2003, 07:10:38 AM »
what so bad about it i go to gamesworkshop on sundays to learn how to play and will not ask you where you got these materials from as i joined this week.