News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.  (Read 34183 times)

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
  • Let's put a smile on that face.
    • About Me
Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.
« on: February 15, 2002, 02:55:50 AM »
Lately, we've been seeing an increase in the posts of people asking for scans, books, and downloads.  

THIS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED  

DO NOT ASK FOR INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHERE TO GET THESE MATERIALS

DO NOT PROVIDE INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHERE YOU CAN GET ILLEGAL / COPYRIGHT MATERIALS

If you break these rules, you WILL be warned, and then banned upon any more infractions.  

I apologize for being so strict about this, but having a tight relationship with Games Workshop entales that we must follow the rules exactly.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2002, 02:56:10 AM by Purple Raine »
Just a fan of this awesome site.

Cheantoa

Re:Regarding Illegal / Copyright material :: Codexes, BBB, etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2002, 06:23:19 AM »
tch...

anything that MIGHT damage Eldar Online MUST be prohibited... absolutly...

hey Raine, can we still quote stuff out of the rule book or codex to provide evidence in an argument or such?

Offline XpashaX

• Millenium Gate Moderator
    • Codex: Immael
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2002, 09:13:20 AM »
If you properly cite material you are quoting, then there is no problem.  But you have to follow the rules of citing.  This means that after you quote something you have to explain what it is you quotes, cited material never speaks for itself. This also means proper referencing of the book, page, author, publisher, ect.

Also, you can't post the whole rulebook or entries even and claim your just citing it, it has to apply specificly to what you are discussing.

Those are the copyright rules for citing someone else's work.
"What can you say about a society that says that god is dead and Elvis is alive?" ~ Irv Kupcinet

Offline exoditejon

• 40k Cantina
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2002, 10:11:34 AM »
whilst we're on the topic Raine, was wondering if GW have OK'd the site using the site using the eldar artwork in the banners and headers?

I looks very cool, but off-hand I can't remember seeing any acknowledgment to GW's copyright or statement of permission
Drop by for a drink at http://www.40kcantina.com

Offline Purple Raine

• The Ultra N00bie
  • Administrator
  • Let's put a smile on that face.
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2002, 02:35:19 PM »
No, GW has not given us permission ... I've written to them to ask them for permission, and that if they don't like what we've done, that I'd be more than happy to take it down.  But as of right now, they haven't replied yet.

Usually, they're rather tolerant of stuff like that, because we had used some images with v2.0 and there quite kind about that.  But it's better to be safe than sorry, right?

So we'll wait and see.  But if they do reject us using that, I'm sure Eldanesh can do something to replace what we've taken... it's not that big of a deal
Just a fan of this awesome site.

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2002, 08:32:16 PM »
UHHH GW is pretty biatchy LOL  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)
well, i dont really have much to say so Ill go  :o
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

• If I hear ONE MORE PERSON crying cheese....
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2002, 10:10:04 AM »
Actually, I can't criticise GW for their tight protection of copyrighted materials.  If your entire income was based on copyrights, wouldn't you want to protect them?  I've got three novels under copyright, and I'm working on some RPG products I intend to publish, and if I found someone posting any of my stuff to the web (not that I actually make much money off of it...), they'd get warned once and then have a lawsuit slapped on them so fast they're heads would be spinning for a month...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline The Hive Custodian (Retired)

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
  • Perfection Within; Perfection Without
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2002, 05:45:07 PM »
I'm writing my own supplement to Codex:Tyranids. Is it okay to do so? Every units' statistics have been changed and you cannot reconstruct any part of the original codex from it except for the order of the sections (e.g. the table of contents comes first, followed by special rules, etc.) I am drawing my own illustrations. Again, is this legal, and do I have to put any legal stuff in it to recognize Games Workshop besides the names( The following are trademarks of Games Workshop...)?
Calculus is an art, but algebra is attrition.

Offline Kyndig Azhei

• If I hear ONE MORE PERSON crying cheese....
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2002, 08:08:08 PM »
Personally, I'd recommend you ask a lawyer before making anything remotely questionable available to the public.  Copyright law is so messed up you can never be really sure.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2002, 11:14:27 AM »
Thanks. I guess you're right...but I can still post my fluff!

Offline Prince of the laughing god

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2002, 05:23:41 PM »
really, you are okay as long as you are not taking money from GW. for instance the codex exodites on the site dont bother GW because they don't make a codex exodites, and  it probably increases gw buisness becaus more people are likely to build an expensive exodite army, on the other hand there were companies like enigma in the 80s that made nearly complete ripoffs of gw minis (the only way they could have looked more like GW is if the molded a GW fig) they even painted them up similar and called them marines and heavy marines(terminators) and GW didn't put up with that crap and put them out of buisness. When you copy a codex and put it on a message board, then GW doesn't sell as many codexes. If you are writing a supplement to codex tyranids you are probably best off making sure that anyone who uses it will need a copy of codex tyranids to use it then you are bringing gw more buisness because more people may play tyranids because of your codex suplement
This confusion is my illusion

• Primojanitor Paragon
  • Ancient
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2002, 10:35:22 PM »
I have done so (making my supplement useable only with Codex:Tyranids), but I'd rather stay on the safe side. Besides, I haven't worked out all the kinks yet.

You can find my fluff in the fluff section.

Aulan Cnesha

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2002, 09:13:56 AM »
I think you should change that policy so that you cannot give out stat lines too.

Offline Poueblo

• cheese-tastic
« Reply #13 on: March 2, 2002, 10:21:35 AM »
uhhh, by the first rule:
DO NOT ASK FOR INSTRUCTIONS AS TO WHERE TO GET THESE MATERIALS

does that mean we cant ask where to get these materials from a hobby shop or somthing, or we cant ask them to get them illegaly of the net.  Im pretty sure its the 2nd one, but the rule isnt very clear.  It makes it sound like anyone talking about warhammer here will be banned!LOL
Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Cheantoa

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2002, 04:27:11 AM »
I'm sure gw will be OK with you telling a person where they may buy gw's products, as that's helping them get richer.

You ARE NOT allowed to give 'em instruction on how to get stuff illegally like o'er the internet.

Offline Anivin-ra

• Ancient
  • does this dress make me look fat?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2002, 02:52:00 PM »
does this include old out of print things that can't be purchased any more ??
because I have distributed the old harli info, not for profet or gain of any kind and because it's so old and gw dosn't produce it any more I was under the impression that I was not violating any copy right laws especially since it would promote the sals of gw products. however if I am in violation of copy right I will stop emediatly and post on the thread that I will not be sending any further dew to this violation. :-[
"old" scorpion tail

Mr Solitaire

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2002, 12:17:22 PM »
 :-[

Does this also include Infos of where to get the harli list from CJ39 and CJ44? I posted the links pretty often in the few weeks since there is a huge increase of new harli players.

I mean, these lists are available on the net...

It's just a help to get them faster - am I right??

Offline Vertaxis

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2002, 11:40:08 AM »
The Harlie list is on Games Workshop's website.  Provide the link to the download location and your safe.
Never meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2002, 12:07:57 PM »
There are certain programs that can steal info meant only for GW Staff, or provide free duplicates of GW Codex/Rulebook/Novel/ect material.

These things are strictly prohibited.

If you have knowledge of such stuff, please do not speak of them on the forum.

Also prohibited would be certain sites that simply scanned in copies of the Rulebooks or Codexes themselves.

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.

Offline Ilfirin Noore

• Ancient
  • Mess with the best, die like the rest...
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2002, 10:04:23 AM »
I've seen a bunch of people saying they can't give out rules because it's in violation of copyrights. Not like a whole codex, just people asking how a Falcon works or something like that. Why do they think it's illegal to explain the rules for a Falcon and then outline how it's used? IS it? I'd immagine that if you cited the page, etc of where you're getting it from that you should be able to explain it to a newbie or whoever, just so long as you don't go overboard.
No Wild hockey makes Ilfirin a dull boy U of M hockey fan!

I could be weak, I could be senseless.
I could be just like you.
I could be fake, I could be stupid.
You know I could be just like you.

Help support the Biel-tan Project! Submissions are appreciated emailed or PMed to Ranger Asteria or myself!