News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Campaign KoN: Week 1 Bonus Interrupted 1850 Orks vs Tau  (Read 1764 times)

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
Campaign KoN: Week 1 Bonus Interrupted 1850 Orks vs Tau
« on: October 4, 2010, 12:15:06 AM »

Wees suppose to finds some kinda tablet, its gotsta be somewhere around ere....  boyz lets look around.

The orks touch down in a very low populated farming planet.  The primative planet would be the perfect spot to hide the tablet as their lack of technology makes them a planet not worthy for many armies to waste resources to take over.

The lovely countryside:

Background:  The orks saw a win in their last battle while stationed in an outer planet against the space wolves thunder calvary.  I have been communicating with Janner my opponent for this match.  A really nice guy who invited me to his place for a game of 40k.  Janner has been recently putting his Tau together they have been a work in progress for a little longer than my orks have... 

Ork Army
Mad Dok Grotsnik (attached to Ard boyz)
Big Mek w KFF (attached to 30x boyz squad)

10x Lootas
11x Kommandos w/ 2 burnas and Snikrot

22x Ard Boyz w/ Nob PK/BP
30x Boyz w/ sluggas; Nob PK/BP
10x Gretchin w/ Runtherd
20x Boyz w/ shootas; 2 Big Shootas, Nob w/PK/BP
Deff Dread w/ BS, Skorcha, grot riggas

Deff Kopta w/ twin rokkits and buzzsaw

3x Killa Kans w/ Grotzookas
3x Killa Kans w/ Rokkits
Deff Dread w/ BS, Skorcha, grot riggas

Tau Army (to the best of my knowledge)
Commandar w/ twin plasma and 2 shield drones, ?
2x body guard suits w/ Plasma/ Rocket pods / Multitrackers

3 teams of 2 Crisis Suits all with (plasma, rocket pods and multitrackers

8x Pathfinders w/ 3 rail rifles and Devilfish

4 teams of 6 firewarriors with pulse rifles
12x firewarriors with pulse rifles and photon gernades
12x kroot

2x Sniper Team
Broadside w/ two shield drones
Hammerhead w/ rail gun, rocket pods, multitrackers

Setup:  Orks set up in a 12" x 12" area that are looking for the tablet.  I won the roll off and decided to set up and take first turn.  I decided to take a very risky approach and cram as much stuff as I can into the 12x12 kill box.   

In the kill box:
Maddok w/ 22 ard boyz
30xslugga boyz w/ Big Mek KFF
3x rokkit kans
Deff dread
Deff Kopta

His deployment took up some well supported fire lines in 3 groups with the pathfinders in a tower to the right, a sniper team to the tower toward the middle.  A nice spaced out grouping with a lot of firepower I would have took a similiar approach.

He attempts to steal the initiative but is unsuccessful.

• Lazerous Penguin
Re: Campaign KoN: Week 1 Bonus Interrupted 1850 Orks vs Tau
« Reply #1 on: October 4, 2010, 12:16:52 AM »
Turn 1

I let the dog off his leash...  The Mad Dok with his ard boyz, and everything else advances.  I have to make a choice with the deff kopta do i send it after the hammerhead or do I use it to tie up the pathfinders... there are benefits to both but I send him after the pathfinders as their bonus to tau shooting is very brutal. 

Shooting from rokkit kans hits and kills one crisis suit

Deff Kopta assaults the pathfinders and kills one but they stay locked in combat.

Tau stays put with only a few units moving to get better shooting positions

Combined tau shooting kills 11 ard boyz and 7 boyz.

Kroot assault the ard boyz killing 1 the ardboyz and mad dok in return kill the squad and consolidate toward the 6 man fire warrior squad.

Turn 2

I roll for my reserves and get my lootas, shoota boyz, and Deff Dread (troop) come in.  The ard boyz and deff dread advances to one side while the slugga boyz, kans advance to the other side.

Kans shoot and kill 2 drones and one suit of the Tau command squad.  (kans are proving to be lethal shots despite ork shooting)

Mad Dok and the ard boyz charge the 6 man firewarrior squad closest to them.  The warrior squad makes an amazing 16 saves that my ard boyz put on them unfortuneatly for them the Mad Dok and ard boyz Nob strike last killing them all.  (all that hard work for nothing but still an amazing amount of saves for the tau).

Tau reposition some of their stuff.  The Hammerhead explodes my Deff dread (closest).  He combine shoots at my ard boyz with everything on the one side killing 9.  The other flank fires at my kans with the heavier weapons but the KFF keeps them in the game, they do however kill another 7 boyz. 

The locked combat with the deff kopta continues (I don't want to try to hit and run as I need the pathfinders locked in combat)  He looses another 2 pathfinders but stays locked in combat.

Turn 3

Reserves bring in grotzooka kans.   

I move most of my army into a position to engage the larger parts of his army..  The boyz getting closer and decide to try to take out the crisis suits. 

Ork shooting: the rokkit kans still on fire with their shooting wreck the pathfinders devilfish.

Ork assaults;  the slugga boyz assault the suits losing 1 and killing a suit in return.  The remaining suit breaks and gets cut down.   The Mad Dok and Ard boyz nob are all that remain of the ard boyz squad they charge into another squad of 6 firewarriors and butcher them down. 

Tau shooting drops the ard boyz nob, on the other side shooting drops another 8 slugga boyz. 

« Last Edit: October 4, 2010, 01:51:14 AM by angel of death 007 »

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #2 on: October 4, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »
Turn 4

Reserves bring in the Gretchin but still no Kommandos :(

Grotzooka kans and Dread approach to try to engage the suits and hammerhead.  The slugga boyz branch out to try to mop up some more of the side.  On the other side it is looking a bit bleak for Mad Dok on his lonesome.

Lootas shoot and drop the Sniper team by the Mad Dok. 

In assault the Rokkit kans kill the 12 man fire warrior team, the slugga boyz (what is left of them) engage and take down the 6 man fire warrior squad.  Mad Dok kills another 6 man fire warrior squad.   

In the Tau shooting they fire the crisis suits and hammerhead all the weapons at him but he makes a considerable amount of saves but takes his second wound leaving him with one wound.  On the other side tau shooting kills a slugga boy and one of the rokkit kans. 

The tau get desperate and assault the suits into the Mad Dok who promptly kills them.  The deff kopta finally kills the last pathfinder.  The Mad Dok consolidates toward the hammerhead.  His broadside shoots into my rokkit kans locking them in combat but loosing the two drones in exchance for a DCCW.  The combat stays locked. 

Turn 5

Kommandos come in behind the command squad. 

In assaults the Kommandos lose 2 boyz while they kill the other body guard suit.  His commander makes an impressive amount of saves.  They stay locked in combat.  The slugga boyz charge the sniper team in the tower wiping them out.  The dread and the Mad Dok charge the hammerhead.  The dread wrecks it. 
The continued combat between the broadside and rokkit kans leads no where. 

The tau are all stuck in assault.  The commander and kommandos change blows killing one kommando and landing a wound on the commander.  The kans and broadside continue with no success.

He rolls for another turn but it ends.   Orks have slugga boyz; gretchin, deff dread, shoota boyz all remaining so therefore have a troops choice alive at the end (actually 4 troops choices)

Command / kommando combat

Mad Dok and deff dread (he still has all his arms and didn't take any damage I just haven't magnatized him like I did my other one yet)

The shoota boyz advancing

Final thoughts:

What a great opponent and a great game.  Janner played the game very well.  The main thing that we both agreed kinda worked more against him then in his favor was the fact that the orks started closer which meant he had a turn or two less shooting at them.  The fact that the rest of the army was in reserve meant that I had my army coming in piece meal. 

What worked in my favor:
-Mad Dok he was like a ravid pitbull and putting him in the center of the board was like saying go get em boy...
-putting some very hard to kill targets on the board early on which would almost guarantee them reaching and getting into assault.  This I figured would atleast distract and if nothing else soften up my opponent by removing some of his shooting power.  They were a bit more effective than that. 
-rokkit kan shooting all i gotta say is WOW.

What worked against me:
-kommandos not coming in til turn 5
-not being able to start the lootas on the field Luckily they came in on turn 2 which meant that they only lost 2 turns of shooting but still two less turns of shooting did suck.
-my grotzooka kans never got a chance to do anything neither did my shoota boyz.
-my massive amount of boyz being so close together so often his rail gun firing in large blast always took out several boyz when it did fire the blast.

My not so sures:
At some point in the game i knew i would have to make some serious decissions. 
1.) send the deff kopta after the hammerhead or the pathfinders???  I saw the benefit either way but when that hammerhead kept putting down the shots I was questioning if I made the right choice.

2.) to split my kill box army or to keep them together?  spliting them meant that I lost KFF cover for the ard boyz and the deff dread but it meant I had a threat that could possibly engage both flanks (though very thin)  Luckily that worked in my favor.  I felt the more damage I did and the quicker I did it even if I lost everything in the kill box which was what I was planning then maybe some of my reserves troops would still live.

MVP's
Mad Dok for assault and the Rokkit kans for shooting on the ork side.

The Commander and the Broadside on his side.  Both whethered a lot of abuse but still stuck it out in assaults.  Shooting I would probably have to give it to the Hammerhead.. everyturn it seemed to do quite a bit of damage.

Well good luck to all in the campaign and hope to read a few more reports.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2010, 02:24:34 AM by angel of death 007 »

Offline SKEETERGOD

• Infinity Circuit | Boss Orkountant | I used Flash Gitz and didn't lose! | KoN Warlord
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • The best upgrade for an ork, is more orks!
  • Armies: Hmmmm.... Orks?
« Reply #3 on: October 4, 2010, 10:23:30 AM »
Looks like a great game, and since it was at a friends house and not the shop you could take your time and enjoy the game even more.

Good win for the orks, and 2 teef for you.
"It needs but one foe to breed a war. And even those who have not swords can still die upon them" (Lady Eowyn)
     We orks are not about being the hero; We orks are about being the mob.

Quote from: angel of death 007
Skeetergod: (adj) A crazy fascination for all things combustible mixed with an unhealty lust for red paint. see also Speed Freak

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #4 on: October 4, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »
It worked for both of us.  It allowed me the time to be able to take notes and pictures.  It allowed him to be able to take care of some work over the phone that he had to do.  A win win for both.  Not to mention his table and scenery were amazing. 

Both of our armies are a work in progress.  But he definately showed interest in wanting to play again soon I just wish my schedule was a bit better.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #5 on: October 5, 2010, 09:34:35 AM »
Nice write-up, excellent pictures, and an interesting match! I was unsure how this sort of mission would play out for Orks - at least in theory it should be possible to keep at least 24" distance between the Tau and the Orks at game start using extreme angles. Snikrot of course throws a wrench into that sort of planning though, and it seems like starting off in such a central cluster didn't end up being much of a drawback. It's even more startling considering it appears there's no terrain whatsoever for the Orks to be hiding in at the start of the match.

Anyway, it definitely didn't end how I might have predicted it would based on the two armies and terrain. Congratulations on your kill, and may the Mad Dok continue his rampage!

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #6 on: October 5, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
Nice write-up, excellent pictures, and an interesting match! I was unsure how this sort of mission would play out for Orks - at least in theory it should be possible to keep at least 24" distance between the Tau and the Orks at game start using extreme angles. Snikrot of course throws a wrench into that sort of planning though, and it seems like starting off in such a central cluster didn't end up being much of a drawback. It's even more startling considering it appears there's no terrain whatsoever for the Orks to be hiding in at the start of the match.

Anyway, it definitely didn't end how I might have predicted it would based on the two armies and terrain. Congratulations on your kill, and may the Mad Dok continue his rampage!

Well I kinda thought about a couple of different set ups.  I knew I had to maximize the amount of stuff I put in the kill box due to the amount of firepower I was looking at going up against.   I knew the ard boyz and Mad dok were going in but was mixed as to whether have just a deff dread or to go all out..  The deff kopta was a good addition the kans and dread another boyz squad with KFF to keep them all kinda alive a bit longer helped.

I was hoping for Snikrot to disrupt things a bit but he came in so late.  It would have helped a lot.  I just wanted to throw a lot of targets out there.