News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Picking up the game again, some input appreciated  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Archonbjorn

• Archon
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Where's your emperor now?
    • Vengeance of the Fallen [Dutch]
Picking up the game again, some input appreciated
« on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:17 AM »
Hey all, damn its been long since Ive posted here hehe.

Anyhow on to the subject, I sortoff ditched the hobby a month or 2 after 5th came out as I didn't like the new rules at all. I patiently abided my time untill one of my friends informed me that the 6th edition has been released. So after whiping the dust of my armies I played a couple of games to learn the new rules. Due to the huge gap of ''downtime'' with the hobby im looking for some input here to guide me.

I quickly found out that the wraith units are brutal nowadays, also found out they work nice with a Ctan his Arrow power if you have whip coils [unintended untill we where resolving combat] That being said I also noticed that there has been some drastic changes to the general populace there playstyle. From what I hear from my mates flyers are very common nowadays, so I tested them last weekend and it opened up a whole new way of transporting units.

My last list [after 3 other battles] looked somewhat like this:

Necron overlord w/res orb, phylactery, warscythe
13 warriors
Storm Cryptek [with the haywire gun]
Nightscythe

14 warriors
Harbringer Cryptek
nighscythe

10 immortals

6 wraiths 3 w/coils
7 scarabs

1 monolith
1 Ctan w/ regeneration power + anti melta

Total 1750.

Excuse me for not listing the crypteks their full gear loadout. Im at work atm and cant remember the exact powers I gave them. Anyhow, the list worked great overall vs Tau. Had 2 flyers coming in with the monolith, immortals where hiding untill they could get ported while the wraiths and scarabs + ctan had to face 2 rounds of tau shooting. The battle was exciting but I still felt like I was lacking some stuff in my list.

So I decided to do a bit of research while working;) and I see allot of people taking small units of immortals for their transports. I can't grasp the meaning behind this, judging from what I have read and seen so far with the new edition it seems to me that units have to be actually larger nowadays compared to the past. I testplayed a old fashioned footslog army [10 man units] but quickly got punished by it as my mate concentrated fully on one squad, whiped to negate WBB and moved on to the next.

Also from looking at the lists I see there seems to be very little actuall damage output, am I correct with this? If your army its main body consists out of flyers coupled with 5 man squads then I don't see allot of shooting happening. Likewise, although I really like how the new wraiths perform, I still find it somewhat strange to steer away from the Necron shooty army style and invest around 50% of your points in CC.

To put it simple:
#1 Has there been a shift of necron lists of trading shooty units for melee ?
#2 Why the minimised squads ? Aren't these going to get shred as soon as they disembark?
#3 How do we tackle flyers aside of our own flyers
#4 Are some old units obsolete nowadays?
#5 Tips and tricks that I might have overlooked, like the Ctan power Wraith whip coil combo

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:46:00 AM by Archonbjorn »

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
Re: Picking up the game again, some input appreciated
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 01:28:57 PM »
The minimum sized Immortals have more to do with being able to aquire large numbers of Night Scythes. The units themselves tend to be deployed late game, after several rounds of zipping around blasting things with Tesla Destructors.

If you want a sit'n'shoot unit, then an Aegis Defence Line with Quad Gun is a pretty good air defence. Being able to glance vehicles to death means that firing tons of gauss rifles at flyers will result in a handful of hits, that should translate into a few glancing hits... maybe enough to bring something down.

In terms of obsolete units, Pariahs no longer exist. Otherwise, Monoliths tend to be eschewed as the Annihilation Barge is so incredibly powerful for it's points.

Wraiths are good, because they're fast, punchy, and tough, which makes them basically the best CC unit that Necrons have. They fill a role, wherein you can engage shooty stuff with your Wraiths, then engage Punchy stuff with your otherwise mostly shooty army.

Scarabs are awesome, because you can strip AV values down to the point that Tesla Destructors can tear apart Land Raider like vehicles, or light vehicles are insta-penned.

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:25:37 AM »
To put it simple:
#1 Has there been a shift of necron lists of trading shooty units for melee ?
#2 Why the minimised squads ? Aren't these going to get shred as soon as they disembark?
#3 How do we tackle flyers aside of our own flyers
#4 Are some old units obsolete nowadays?
#5 Tips and tricks that I might have overlooked, like the Ctan power Wraith whip coil combo

Just to add what GBT already said:
1. I wouldn't say a shift as much as a need has arisen in the past year or so to allow for a cc contingent of your army to handle, or even tarpit (Wraiths/Spyders/Scarabs) your opponent's hardcore units. Also there are armies with better range and there is often benefit it trying to route them out.

2. Already covered, but yea, if you want to play the super croissant wing, that's what you gotta do. (Personally I never play more than 3 of the transport flyer, and usually use 2).

3. Believe it or not, we may not be Tau but we have a few tricks. Aegis as mentioned is available to anyone but the twin linking of several weapons makes it plausible to spam almost any flyer. This I think makes up for our lack of having something like 'Flak Missiles' as some other Codexes may have access too.

4. As mentioned the Monolith isn't my cup of tea in this edition. Too many easy ways to rub out such an expensive unit really turn me off of it.

5. Tips and tricks really seem to ebb and flow with your local meta. The most common shortcut to competitiveness is allying Chaos with Necrons (I know it sounds ludicrous but you asked...) and go with as many Space Croissants as you can, ally a Sorc, and take some cultists to unlock the Heldrake.  I could never do this personally, but it's out there.

Good luck.

Offline Idaho

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:30:26 AM »
Tips and tricks I can recommend is definitely Whip Coils on your Wraiths. You'll end up in protracted fights with them when fighting many opponents so forcing those who make base contact to strike last can reduce the amount of attacks you'll get in return.

Best trick is to tank the wounds on a Destroyer Lord as much as possible. His 2+ save is great but if you put the wounds on him even when he's down to 1, then look out Sir them to Wraiths on an individual basis,  you end up stacking the odds in your favour. You see, the odds of you rolling a 1 or 2 twice in a row are quite low ;)

It's frustrating for your opponents though so if you do that then I hope you're not also using a Fkier spam or you'll have no friends!