News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Rules  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Rumblebelly

• Rumble Rumble Rumble
  • Ancient
  • To Maltheon V for Imperial Slaves!!!
New Rules
« on: February 13, 2002, 02:09:44 AM »
Alas Dark Brethren,

We have perfected the use of Hellion warfare on the field of battle.  The power weapons have been used to vanquish the foe and aggressively draw their blood.  Often they die before they notice who killed them.

I have a question for you DE players out there...  Have you used Hellions under the new rules?  If so, have you had success?  What are they good at?  What have you used them for?  Should other Kabal Lords invest in them?

Rumble

Offline doppelganger

Re:New Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2002, 05:25:55 PM »
I have to say that I'm curious about this one also. The models for the hellions are very well done. I would like to have an excuse to collect some but they are utterly useless as they stand now.
And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night!

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2002, 06:17:41 PM »
i thought they were just s4 weapons, not powered
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline Trunkhead

• Drunken Master
  • Ancient
  • Cause this is too funny
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2002, 06:26:56 PM »
Tobab allready started threads along the same lines, here was my response:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used a full squad of Hellions before the rule changes, and I love em even more now after the changes! here's the different uses i've employed

(in no particular order)
- A squad of 10 works GREAT as a moving screen for a squad of 5 scourges w/ splinter cannons, even more so now that they get a 5++ save

- Part of my 'Swarm'.  The swarm consists of 10 hellions, 7-10 reavers, and 5 scourges, they advance very VERY quickly and cause some serious damage

- Guard my Darklance warrior squads.  I equip a succubus w/ terrorfex and when an assault squad gets to close, I run the Hellions in front of the Warrior squads and try to pin them in addition to the 9 extra splinter cannon shots (and a shredder, but i'm telling you know, converting a hellion to holding a shredder would be a major undertaking - i'm not sure they have a model for it).  If they do pin the unit great, stand still and rapid fire next turn (in addition to the warrior squad firepower that should hurt) if the pinning doesn' happen then go ahead and charge them, they'll usually last at least one combat round giving you a chance to get some support or withdrawl your warrior squad

- Hunterkiller squads.  Hellions are very good at taking out small scout squads, they get there quickly and have enough firepower/assault abaility to take out those annoying forward squads

The most important thing to remember when using them tho is this....they're VERY disposable.  I've yet to have any live to see the end of the battle, but they always do their job, which usually ends up in a victory for me.  Be careful not to advance to far w/ them (easier said than done) as you can quickly end up in the middle of an army w/ no friends around.

I dont' think the deepstrike is worth it - splinter rifles just dont' hurt that much, but if you have terrorfex it may worth it to try and deepstrike next to a devastator type unit and pin/kill them.
You know what I'll say when I see God?
I'm going to tell him I was framed
 - The Way of the Gun

MASTERofBLADES

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2002, 06:13:48 PM »
I am sorry to say that i disagree with the last post. Everything you talked about it there is a good idea execpt the idea of using Hellions because they have good firepower/assault. I think there firepower/assault is terrible! When they go to all the trouble with making these guys look so cool and give them such crappy weapons and stats, it just dosen't seem worth it. But hey, that is just me.

Offline Kabal of the Bleeding Sun

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2002, 07:35:12 PM »
They went to all the trouble because they knew that we would have to buy the miniatures, because they are so cool looking, make them, paint them, and after all that trouble we would have to try and use them  ;D.  It is to give the other players a chance at a tournament  :)

Offline Trunkhead

• Drunken Master
  • Ancient
  • Cause this is too funny
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2002, 01:14:16 AM »
MoB - I said they have enough fire/assault power to take out scout squads.  Scout squads are usually 5 models and are less armored then normal troops. 9 splinter rifles and a terrofex should be able to handle that.  note that in all other incedents they were being supported (and themselves supporting) one or two other units
You know what I'll say when I see God?
I'm going to tell him I was framed
 - The Way of the Gun

Offline Tekno

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2002, 06:01:25 PM »
They are ok in supporting assaults, but still not as good of an upgrade as wyches got.  I use mine occasionally(since a squad of five can be had for 90 points; without succubus)  They are about as effective as warp beasts, but a little tougher(5+ invuln save).  They also cost more points to field(and thats without a succubus and agoniser while the warp beast squad essentially gets an agoniser for free(fielding a squad with 20 str 4 attacks when charging AND an agoniser for 75 points is a good deal - unless your enemy decides to throw a toothpick at them....  Then they come to a screeching halt and die a horrible death).

Its all about the terrain, I force my space marine buddy to use large pieces of terrain, which I promptly set in the center of the board.   Line of sight is bad..... mmkay?   The one time I let him use little bits and pieces of terrain I got annihilated(without enough cover most of my raiders get shot down in the first turn)  

Offline JiMInY

• What big teeth I have
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2002, 07:05:58 PM »
Excuse me in my ignorance but what are harillians???????????????????????????????????????????
consume the magical plant

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2002, 07:23:56 PM »
hellions are DE wyches on flying boards without the special weapons, but splinterrifles and a weapon that adds +1 str in charging
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?