News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Leaving the Forum  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
Leaving the Forum
« on: September 22, 2021, 08:43:32 PM »
Hey guys,

I've been thinking on this a little and I think my time has come to depart 40konline for good. I hope I've given something to this community during the time I've been here. I've tried to be transparent about how share content and I always try to engage interested folks who stop by my threads. I want to thank the closest members who always had kind words to say whenever I made a post, eventually... sometimes  ;D.

Magenb, Dread, and Alienscar (if he ever returns  ;)), you guys have given me so much encouragement and advice over the years I've been here, can't believe how far I've come. Even in other matters outside the hobby, your insistence made me step outside of my comfort zone, and learn things I never quite imagined I learned, in the way I learned them. Neither did I imagine the time it would take to come where I am now.

I'm not the greatest painter or most comprehensive writer ever, but I feel you guys have gave me the one tool I needed to put me on the right path to improving myself: encouragement.

I've had fun here during my time, and I admire every member's dedication to the hobby here.

So, sayonara, Children of the Emperor ;D
JohnMaloneBooks website - Blog #3 - From Novella to Novel

- 5/5 Reader's Favorite Review!

A Sanctum of Swords: Embers Edition is coming soon w/ audiobook!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Leaving the Forum
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 06:41:45 AM »
I'm confused as to why you would want to leave in view of all the positive comments that you've made about the community here.  Obviously, it's your decision and I wish you well, but it just seems strange to me to depart when it has clearly been beneficial to you to be here.  I hope that you will reconsider, but if not, I wish you all the best for the future :).
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Alienscar

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 09:35:27 AM »
Quote from: Myen'Tal
Magenb, Dread, and Alienscar (if he ever returns  ;)), you guys have given me so much encouragement and advice over the years I've been here, can't believe how far I've come. Even in other matters outside the hobby, your insistence made me step outside of my comfort zone, and learn things I never quite imagined I learned, in the way I learned them. Neither did I imagine the time it would take to come where I am now.

Like you FireMahLazer (I will always remember you that way) I doubt I will make any sort of comeback & that is especially true if you are leaving. I have said more than once that without you & magenb this site is dead. Without your Plog and fiction this site is going to have very little new content going forward.

To borrow from Shakespeare:

Forever, and forever, farewell, Myen'Tal! If we do meet again, why, we shall smile; If not, why then this parting was well made.

Quote from: Starrakatt
"Russ, get your work done or you won't see your damn console for the next month!"
Quote from: Cavalier
Honestly Alienscar, we get it... you dont like painting!

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 11:29:47 AM »
I'm confused as to why you would want to leave in view of all the positive comments that you've made about the community here.  Obviously, it's your decision and I wish you well, but it just seems strange to me to depart when it has clearly been beneficial to you to be here.  I hope that you will reconsider, but if not, I wish you all the best for the future :).

I guess it's the same reason anyone leaves internet forums after awhile. Nothing lasts forever, and as Alienscar said, There's nothing much going on anymore to keep me involved in the community here.

I feel like it's this way for the most warhammer forums now a days.

I guess I'm just ready to move away from forums in general.

Quote from: Myen'Tal

Like you FireMahLazer (I will always remember you that way) I doubt I will make any sort of comeback & that is especially true if you are leaving. I have said more than once that without you & magenb this site is dead. Without your Plog and fiction this site is going to have very little new content going forward.

To borrow from Shakespeare:

Forever, and forever, farewell, Myen'Tal! If we do meet again, why, we shall smile; If not, why then this parting was well made.

Thanks for the send off, Alienscar! I will send you a DM soon, I don't have any websites setup yet, but when I do, I'll let you know if you ever want to check in :).

Also been awhile since people mentioned my old forum name lol, those were some good times, so many people have come and gone since then!

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 12:59:08 PM »
The only way that new content is generated if people stay and post new content.  As a result, leaving achieves the opposite outcome and does not help to solve the problem.  If the goal is to find a solution, you're both going about it in the wrong way.

I have said more than once that without you & magenb this site is dead. Without your Plog and fiction this site is going to have very little new content going forward.

Specifically on this point, a lot of people over the years have put a lot of time and effort into keeping this forum afloat.  Purple Raine, for example, still pays all the bills and keeps the server ticking in conjunction with Kindred.  Without both of them, the site would not exist, so let'e ensure that credit is also given to those unsung members of the community who do a lot of work behind the scenes.

In addition, let's also not forget the impact that covid-19 has had.  It was impossible for a very long time for people to meet each other to play and in some places it still remains very difficult.  As a result, there has been little incentive for anyone to post army list or tactics and battle reports dried up for the same reason.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »
Of course, purple rain and the site admins are real heroes for keeping this site up and running  :).

The only way that new content is generated if people stay and post new content.  As a result, leaving achieves the opposite outcome and does not help to solve the problem.  If the goal is to find a solution, you're both going about it in the wrong way.

This is true, but we've been trying to keep new content flowing for years now. Not much has changed from what I can see since I came back some years ago.

There has already been discussions on what we can do to help grow the site, but content creation takes time, patience, and creativity - hours of someone's time to create even a piece of it.

It's draining, and to be honest, I would like to put all that effort into something that can benefit me on a personal level as well.

I understand that leaving won't help the site grow, but at the same time, I don't want to spend the large amount of time anymore on keeping the content flowing for relatively not much reward at the 3nd of the tunnel.

Offline Blazinghand

• Warlock | Master of the Ravenwing
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Die for the Emperor or die trying!
  • Armies: Eldar, Orks
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2021, 05:48:08 PM »
I enjoyed seeing your posts around here Myen'Tal, and I have come by this website once every couple of days, though I know I don't post often. I hope you still come by sometimes. Until next time!
Quote from: Howard Zinn
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 08:16:17 PM »
Sorry to see you go mate.

I know a lot of people seem to be addicted to newer platforms, like facebook groups, but they sucks for any in depth discussions, and you see the same questions being posted by different people over and over again. Forums really are a much better way to handle it (which is why I link back to these forums as much as I can), you get to see peoples creativity in making their own army background, see how they have progressed in projects, I've lost count the number of times I've found some inspiration from looking through someone else's old projects.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2021, 10:02:19 PM »
I regret your departure, but I wish you well.

I miss this place when it was a bit more active. This forum was the best and has the best people in it. Well, one less, now.

Take care and good luck!

Offline Sir_Godspeed

• Lazerous Penguin
  • "Bees. My God" was an obscure Batman quote.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2021, 11:15:57 PM »
I regret that I was not able to provide more feedback for your writing. Regardless, best of luck, my dude.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2021, 11:26:25 PM »
All the best, man. You've got to do what's better for you.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Kage2020

• Knower of Things
  • Ancient
  • Mar a tha, mar a bha, mar a bhitheas vyth go bragh
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 01:51:24 AM »
FWIW, I departed for many of the same reasons. For me, it was hard to stay engaged with a setting that was tilting so hard in a direction that didn't feel right for me. On the other hand, the inspiration that I received from people on the forum have given me a fairly solid interpretation of the setting that, while it doesn't gel with the current writings, works for me. Indeed, the Craftworld Eldar are something that have or will show up in some RPG settings in a "numbers rubbed off" fashion.

At the same time, I'm back in part because I'm trying to get my son involved in the mini side of things, painting etc. Well, that and perhaps some 3d scanning and digital customisation.

You have to do the things that make you happy and, well, those things can change over time.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 08:10:38 AM »
Thank you for the kind words, guys.

I will probably stop in from time to time, just to see what's happening.

Wish all of you the best!

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 05:07:15 PM »
I for one would be really sad to see you go, especially as I’m just getting the time to get more active here again.  Things have been tough lately and you have to do right by yourself but you would be missed here.  Even if you just take a break rather than leaving altogether?  But regardless I wish you well.

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2021, 10:41:05 PM »
Well, I tried going a day without coming by the forum and I'm already missing you guys.

Especially after all the well wishes... I might stay lol.

Anti-climatic, I know lol

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2021, 10:45:28 PM »
The first dose was always free ...
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 04:30:17 AM »
Come on, stay, you know you want to.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:08:41 AM by Calamity »

Offline Myen'Tal

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 05:05:39 AM »
Come on, stay, you know you want to.  :-\

I meant that I am, don't need too much convincing  :) ;).

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2021, 08:17:25 AM »
This place is like Baci Perugina.  You cannot give it up ;).

Offline Dread

• Warlock
  • Voidraven, the stone skipping across the universe.
  • Armies: Eldar, DE, Harlis, Necrons,  sisters, Death guard
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2021, 10:22:35 PM »
Ah! I see. I dont come here often. Kinda stay to the perts for me. Unfortunately my beloved Eldar just dont have much going on as seen by the tumbleweeds rolling there. The blogs is where my feet are planted firmly, i love seeing what everyone is up too as well as reading your stories, havent said much lately but read it all the time. Enjoying it so not much to say.

Glad you decided to stay. I would go nuts. 8)
"Burning thru the universe in search of peace only brings more war. Peace is an illusion, war is reality, that is the way of things"

Farseer Gol'Istria of    the Morea Nebula craftword