News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 92667 times)

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #240 on: May 10, 2017, 12:06:27 PM »
Twin-linked weapons mounted on Wave Serpent turrets are looking pretty nasty under these rules, depending on how the embarking and disembarking rules work in relation to movement and shooting.  In general, this change is going to make certain vehicles potentially very effective indeed.

I also rather like the change to combi-weapons.  It makes them more useful than in the past.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #241 on: May 10, 2017, 12:20:10 PM »
Twin-linked weapons mounted on Wave Serpent turrets are looking pretty nasty under these rules, depending on how the embarking and disembarking rules work in relation to movement and shooting.  In general, this change is going to make certain vehicles potentially very effective indeed.
I'm practically drooling over how awesome this makes Land Raiders!  Four Lascannon shots?  Yes please!
You would get two hits rarely, but more often than you'd get them with the D3 shots mechanic. Besides, Frag missiles were great for those moments pack of infantry were forced to disembark from a trashed vehicle and were all clumped together. Or when something deepstruck and was in a tight little circle. Those moments made the small blast shine.

Now? Gone. Now you are *less* likely to hit more than 1 target than ever before.
Frankly, the way I see it is that those instances of hitting tightly grouped models were so few and far between that you couldn't rely on them to be the norm.  I see the d3 / d6 mechanic as being more reliable than a blast template.
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #242 on: May 10, 2017, 12:42:51 PM »
Now seeing the melta rule changes, it's no longer the go-to anti-tank weapon. I don't care about better D6 rolls for wounds when it's going to be harder to wound heavy vehicles in the first place. The melta was supposed to get increased strength vs these targets. Now it doesn't.

Not saying it's bad, but it's quite different now.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #243 on: May 10, 2017, 01:25:31 PM »
You certainly can't rely on just one or two meltaguns being sufficient to get the job done, that's for sure. You'll need 3-4 at minimum.

I'm telling you, this is going to be the era of the lascannon over all other weapon options. Honestly, very much like 2nd Edition, when I think about it.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #244 on: May 10, 2017, 01:38:19 PM »
I think Melta is still going to be a more reliable weapon for when it comes to dealing with large models.  Yes, the lascannon will have an easier time wounding, but the melta will have a better chance of scoring a large chunk of wounds being removed.

If you compare Melta to how it works now, at short range vs AV14, the odds to penetrate and cause significant damage are the exact same as they are to wound T8; except now there is an increased chance to strip more wounds off since outright killing isn't possible any more.

If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #245 on: May 10, 2017, 01:41:50 PM »
The trouble with melta, though, is that it was (and still is) a very high-risk proposition: get really close to the big bad and *hope* you wipe it out before it gets you.

With the removal of any realistic chance of an instant kill, melta gets dealt a serious blow. Safer and more reliable to stack LCs, stand back, and blast away.

I mean, sure, we'll still see melta about, but it's supremacy as a tank-killer has just been seriously undermined. The upside, of course, is that now Melta is going to make MCs sweat, whereas before they were largely unimportant.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #246 on: May 10, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »

Not only that but all Eldar basic Jetbikes just became awesome. This also effects the base Eldar tanks, do you put on the Shuriken cannon any more?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #247 on: May 10, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »
The trouble with melta, though, is that it was (and still is) a very high-risk proposition: get really close to the big bad and *hope* you wipe it out before it gets you.

However, we now have the ability to degrade and reduce vehicles when not exploding them in one action scene. So decent damage, while not fatal, still helps to make them more vulnerable and less able to deal it back.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »
Not only that but all Eldar basic Jetbikes just became awesome. This also effects the base Eldar tanks, do you put on the Shuriken cannon any more?

Killer point Magenb. Never even thought of that... the range will still be a huge issue though. At 12" its still too scary to risk the JB's. If they go up to 18" it'd be a huge help.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2017, 08:48:52 AM »

Indeed, this is a very good point.  I never used the underslung Shuriken Cannon anyway, so my Falcon and Wave Serpents are already equipped with Shuriken Catapults should I have the opportunity to use them again.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2017, 09:51:27 AM »
New post on Datasheets.

I think this looks quick and easy to use. I'm curious to see how "power level" stacks out for narrative play, but overall I'm liking how simple it is. As I'm a Thousand Sons player, I have some thoughts on the Ksons, but I'll save that for the Chaos board.

Offline Irisado

• Administrator
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »
This is going to help to streamline 40K a lot.  I'm very pleased that they chose to show one of the more complex 40K units as well, in order to showcase how much more straightforward they will be to use with a datasheet system.  This is definitely one of the most positive changes in my view.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2017, 12:35:47 PM »
New Faction Focus on Eldar.

Start your engines, guys.  ;)

One odd bit:
Phoenix Lords, especially, will benefit from a nice 2+ armour save.

Ummm...don't they already? I coulda sworn they did.  ???

Offline Katamari Damacy

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar Empire, Dwarfs
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
I liked the part about Mandiblasters dishing out Mortal Wounds  ::)
The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2017, 12:42:19 PM »
Yes, the Eldar article really didn't reveal anything the units don't already do/have. Other than the Avatar.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
I liked the part about Mandiblasters dishing out Mortal Wounds  ::)

This is better than what they do now, though. No armor/invul saves is pretty good when a whole unit is dishing them out.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #256 on: May 11, 2017, 03:40:42 PM »
I knew there was a reason I spent I don't know how much money & time converting up 20 counts-as Scorpions and learning to play them throughout 7th edition. Mandiblasters dealing out Mortal Wounds!? I'm so freaking excited!!!

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #257 on: May 11, 2017, 05:24:21 PM »
Regarding todays news.
Nothing brand new, but no disappointments, I guess they are saving the best for the last.

I hope the datasheets will have matched points on them as well, otherwise there would be no point in having them, as there are already at least one crossreferrence on the example; "Death to the false emperor".

I'm also getting more curious about invulnerable saves, if they work as before, some armour modifiers will be wasted. Also some models have only an invulnerable save, would cover stack with it I wonder. I guess in about a month we'll see. :)

Khaine should rejoice over the character rules though, if he remains a character and don't get bloated to over 10 wounds, and meltas & flamers still won't hurt him.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #258 on: May 11, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »
We still get battle focus. Banshee's are super fast and most likely still hit first even if charged, Asurman gives an invul bubble, Guide, doom, and Fortune are still around, Scorpions have a mysterious new special stealth rule and buffed mandiblasters, however the best news is that is sound like the Avatar and phoenix lords have become a viable option again.

Offline Cavalier

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2017, 08:20:10 AM »
Wow... the amount of damage the Avatar can do hadn't really sunk in. He can potentially deal 6 wounds PER HIT. Holy crap... that is freaking insane! Oh man... soooo nice. Now thats a proper LoW