News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Eighth Edition News  (Read 92802 times)

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
Re: Eighth Edition News
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2017, 03:01:33 PM »
If it's like AoS, then psykers will come with specific powers. Hopefully smite doesn't take up one of those slots if all pyskers get it.

In AoS, wizards get the 2 basic powers in addition to their specific spells. Battletomes since Sylvaneth carry Faction-specific spell lists too, so there is diversity.

I imagaine that the first lotof Codices will be quite basic (so everyone can get playing quick). But then as we move on, proper Codices will appear with more variety and options.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2017, 10:16:48 AM »
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/04/30/new-40k-shooting-phase-apr30gw-homepage-post-4/

New post about the shooting phase. I am in love with the changes. Especially how cover will make your save better, not replace your save like it does now. Shooting pistols in melee will make assault units extra mean too.

Awesome!
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2017, 10:48:27 AM »
Wow, cover now added to armour save, I did not see that one coming.
That's huge!

It seems like the basic rules once again got tailored to marines.
Standard marines in hard cover will be untouchable with basic weapons, same thing for terminators in soft cover.
If 2++ with re-roll was bad, it just got worse. :(

I will also from now on refer to close combat to "the pistol phase".
Heavy weapons will be even more available, the phrase
"tread lightly and carry a big gun" echoed in rules format. :(
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #103 on: April 30, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
That's huge!

Standard marines in hard cover will be untouchable with basic weapons, same thing for terminators in soft cover.

Salty much?

We are going to see points changed across the board. Marines and Terminators will be more expensive.

A lot of these rules are from Age of Sigmar, we are going to see a 40k version of the rule of 1. 1's will always fail. Marines in cover will be tougher to kill, as they should be.

Also, pistols are shot in the shooting phase, not the assault phase.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 11:01:04 AM by Killersquid »
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Hopefully we'll more see pistols mentioned in the army lists else race specific rules such as Tau and carbines.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2017, 02:21:02 PM »
It would seem logical to me that there would have to be an increase in pistol type weaponry for certain races.

The change to the rules for cover seems okay to me.  It's logical that that heavily armoured troops should be difficult to remove from fortified positions.

It's far too early to be thinking about the availability of heavy weapons.  This hasn't been disclosed and may well be very different to how it is now in terms of upgrade weapons for units and how much they cost.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Roboknee77

• Ork Boy
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Armies: Orks, Sisters
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2017, 02:41:03 PM »
The pistol rule sounds really intriguing to me as an Ork player.  It sounds like Slugga Boys will be able to shot at who they are locked in combat with in the shooting phase and then still fight in close combat in the assault phase.

• Ancient
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/WarhammerTVteam/videos/370270193367965/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE

Oh man, the hype game is real!

The ultra-ultra marines! I suspect the rumored larger marines in the new starter will be these special bigger new marines.

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2017, 08:15:43 PM »
It's about time they made pistols worth it. Like that ruling a lot. Makes assault marines a bit better.

The 1" no shoot zone is a cool idea as well.

A *little* grumpy that moving Vehicles got a BS reduction, but I'm guessing that might worked around in certain ways. If they've removed the restrictions on the number of guns you can fire, it'll be a wash.

• Ancient
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2017, 08:18:28 PM »

A *little* grumpy that moving Vehicles got a BS reduction, but I'm guessing that might worked around in certain ways. If they've removed the restrictions on the number of guns you can fire, it'll be a wash.

Better only being able to shoot one gun. If tanks are going to be a lot tougher, then they'll need some restrictions.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #111 on: April 30, 2017, 11:20:14 PM »
These were only general statements. They didn't say if fast, skimmer, or fast skimmers would have the same restrictions.

Offline magenb

• Aspect Warrior
  • I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #112 on: May 1, 2017, 12:26:14 AM »
That's huge!

Yes, but they also noted a bunch of weapon ignore that bonus, it kind of sounded like weapons that would previously have been a blast template might go back to ignoring that bonus save, which would make a fair amount of sense.

Given the boltgun lost its AP value, cover adding to armour saves sounds kind of wierd. Especially if they applied that logic to other troop guns, suddenly Power armour needs insane amounts of fire power to kill in cover. Then again Dark Eldar finally get a half decent save ;)

Kind of sounds like its going to be CC infantry and whatever can carry a heavy weapon edition lol.

Corsair brace pistols just got awesome... hopefully it is still a thing. Still it is an interesting options, fire a single shot pistol or make 2 lower strength attacks..

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #113 on: May 1, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
What makes these new marines different to the old ones besides the increase in size and maybe better gear?

• Ancient
« Reply #114 on: May 1, 2017, 07:40:21 AM »

Corsair brace pistols just got awesome... hopefully it is still a thing. Still it is an interesting options, fire a single shot pistol or make 2 lower strength attacks..

Remember, that shooting pistols is in the shooting phase. Doesn't replace melee attacks in the assault phase.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #115 on: May 1, 2017, 07:45:14 AM »
Hmmm. This is probably the first time I'm not happy about a rules change... given what I know thus far. -1 to Vehicles shooting on the move seems VERY tough. I mean isn't mobile heavy weapons the purpose of vehicles? Hopefully they have a higher BS or whatever to compensate.

I get what Killersquid is saying... in that if vehicles are harder to kill, there should be a drawback. But I'm not sure how much tougher vehicles are going to be to kill. Still haven't seen the standard how many wounds your standard Leman Russ will have and also the cost and availability of special+heavy weapons which can take these vehicles down... but I was hoping for more mobility and more resilience particularly on Imperial Vehicles. Hopefully thats still coming and at the cost of a little accuracy.

I'm sure the playtesters, especially the Frontline + Nova guys made sure this works properly... but it does concern me a bit.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline Irisado

• A Light in The Grim-Darkness ~ Guns Don't Kill People, Copyright Stats Do | Farseer | Reporting Live! from the Crime Scene | Somewhat behind the times
  • Administrator
  • Soñando debajo del arco iris
  • Armies: Administrators must not play 40K
« Reply #116 on: May 1, 2017, 08:02:28 AM »
It may well be that vehicles will hit more easily than infantry when it comes to heavy weapons.  At this juncture, we just don't know, so I would not be overly concerned about this issue.  Trying to balance vehicles and infantry is not that easy, thus there is always bound to be some sort of trade-off.
You haunt my in-box like an ex-girl friend could only dream of.

The Forum Rules - Please Read and Remember Them.

Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #117 on: May 1, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »
Don't despair.  Lots of vehicles have twin linked weapons which might help.  Others (former heavy vehicles and ones with p.o.t.m.s) might always count as stationary anyway. 

Offline Fenris

• Aspect Warrior
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Eldar, Aeldari
« Reply #118 on: May 1, 2017, 10:50:20 AM »
Another shooting phase was just announced (called the charge phase)
New Warhammer 40,000 – Charge Phase – Warhammer Community
I guess they have something big planned for the fight phase, maybe D6 hits for each Attack characteristic, or melee is squatted.
Ego in propria persona, non compos mentis.

Offline Calamity

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #119 on: May 1, 2017, 11:14:02 AM »
Overwatch is still in the game?  Damn, now I've just had my first disappointment with 8th edition.

No, I shall stay positive.  It will probably work better.