News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Sotlitare  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Farseer Jair

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
Sotlitare
« on: March 11, 2015, 09:57:05 AM »
I like many of my Eldar brothers and sisters have been on a high over the Harlequin codex. And the long awaited return of the solitaire.  So recently I have read and watched reviews if the Solitaire and have found that the review seem mostly negative and for the wrong reasons. I believe that if the Solitaire could do any more for the points it costs, he/she would be considered overpowered.  In the few games I've played the Solitaire is great but must be used in a smart manner as a killing blow or to soften up a strong emery unit. But I want to know how you are making this unit successful in your army

Regards

Offline Wyldhunt

Re: Sotlitare
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 01:08:49 AM »
Just got my book yesterday.  The solitaire doesn't seem like a bad choice, but he does compete with the very potent shadow seer and death jester for an elite slot.  He's really not *that* big a points investment (clocking in slightly over the cost of a warlock-lead guardian squad), so even if he fizzles out, you aren't out that many points.  His damage looks pretty solid on paper.  I can see this guy going toe to toe with a Keeper of Secrets, a marine squad, or whatever else needs dealt with. Especially if you throw in some other clowns to distract from him.  It's just delivering him that's tricky. 

Personally, I'm leaning towards using him in the Heroe's Path formation.  For not that many points, you can get a trio of potentially very scary assassins (the shadowseer less so depending on what powers she gets)that can easily be rocking a 2+ cover save.  Hiding single models entirely from line of sight isn't all that difficult, and even if they die, they'll be a very worrisome threat for your opponent in the first few turns.  Plus, infiltration means you don't have to worry about a bad deepstrike scatter leaving your solitaire susceptible to enemy fire. You won't be able to assault turn 1, but his crazy speed means it will be easy to guarantee a turn 2 assault if he's still alive.

When allying with dark eldar, it's not very difficult to get a Fast Attack Venom for him to ride in either. You can still deepstrike the venom if you want to to "charge up" the turn count for his bliz ability if you really want to.

Offline Skyleap

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 01:37:24 AM »
For survivability, there are two formations that stand out: Cegorach's Revenge and Way of Heroes. For potency, Cegorach's Revenge and the Harlequin Masque detachment are ideal as the Solitaire can improve his chances of reaching combat thanks to Run and Charge from Turn 2 on. Based on these alone one can presume that the overall ideal choice is Cegorach's Revenge for the best of both worlds.

My choice, though, is to go with the Masque Detachment. I want to field the Solitaire so he can engage, not merely survive. A 24-30" threat radius from Turn 2 on gives you the freedom to pick your targets. Deep Strike allows you to arrive in a part of the board your opponent isn't prepared for you to occupy, and thanks to the threat radius it can be a conservative arrival point, to boot. You can direct him towards a critical target that can be vehicle or otherwise thanks to weapon flexibility. And you can also use him for a joint charge against a horde unit to cut wide swathes through it.

With the number of other threats you can throw out there--Shadowseers, Death Jesters and appropriately threatening Troupes--the Solitaire is an excellent "point and shoot" option while the rest of your army takes care of larger, more immediately urgent targets. I learned firsthand how devastating the Solitaire can be against Walkers (Defiler, in this particular case). Caress To Hits that glance on 6s is awfully nice, and the EW w/ 3++ means he can tarpit long enough to finish the Walker off in a couple rounds of combat.

Land Raiders, Dreadknights, Riptides... a nice long list of acceptable targets beyond the norm that the Solitaire can take care of while the rest of your army copes with the rest.

Rules of formations removed as a copyright precaution - Iris.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 06:15:53 AM by Irisado »

Offline Wyldhunt

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 03:08:51 AM »
And don't discount his usefulness against mooks either.  Equipping him with the rose and blitzing a unit of guardsmen means you'll have a lot of attacks with a lot of rerolls to wound.  And in response, they'll be hitting him on 5s, right?  Consider feeding him some red shirts to hide him from shooting while you prepare his main course. Then, spring board him out of the melee (if they haven't all fled in terror) before sending him after his main target. 

Oh, and his precision attacks aren't bad either. I'm not clear without consulting the BRB as to whether or not the rule works in melee, but potentially precision-shotting someone with a quad gun isn't too shabby!

You have to plan around including him if you want to make sure he gets a shot at his foes (rather than throwing him to the wind by deepstriking him and hoping for a turn 3+ assault), but I think he definitely has his uses. His weird mobility, small profile, and concentrated dose of killyness make him an affordable threat that can excel against certain targets.  I mean, the guy (with upgrades) is only about as expensive as my usual dire avenger configuration (with upgrades).

Offline Ambience 327

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:05:24 AM »
Oh, and his precision attacks aren't bad either. I'm not clear without consulting the BRB as to whether or not the rule works in melee, but potentially precision-shotting someone with a quad gun isn't too shabby!

Precision Strikes ONLY works in melee. Precision Shots is the one for shooting, so no precision quad gun for the Solitaire, but he can knock out troops with special gear (heavy weapons guys, apothecaries, etc) all day long. Characters still get Look Out Sir, but that is only a chance, not a guarantee.