News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Necrons Vs Eldar (RearGuard - Campaign Week 4)  (Read 1714 times)

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
Necrons Vs Eldar (RearGuard - Campaign Week 4)
« on: June 30, 2008, 08:20:46 AM »

OK, here is the rundown for the Re-Game, as after several re-reads we decided that due to the Victory conditions, etc... we really should replay the mission (I know I won the first; but we did it wrong).

The Necron Force (The Mighty Green Machine)

10 Warriors     10 Warriors
5 Destroyers     5 Destroyers
7 Immortals     4 Destroyers
2 Heavy Destroyers     14 Warriors
Lord: Res Orb
896pts     882pts

Totals 1778 with the Lord's group having to wait in reserves until turn 4.

The Eldar force (Andrew)

Eldrad     6 Fire Dragons: ex with DB-Flamer and Crack shot
10 Wraithguard: + Concealing Warlock     8 Harlies: Shadowseer and 6 Kisses
6 Pathfinders     8 Warp Spiders: EX w/DDS and Withdraw
10 Dire Avengers: EX w/ 2 Cats & Bladestorm     Falcon: Pulse, Scat, S-can, HF, VE, and SS
     Wraithlord: EML'BL
902pts     887pts

Totals 1789pts with the Iyanden side having to watch from the sidelines as his more mobile force was left as the "Rear-Guard"... We discussed these new battle conditions (the right ones) as he said that a win would be difficult for him, as I outnumbered him 2-1 in points... I noted that all he had to do was "Hide" his Falcon, etc, well enough to have a scoring unit at the end, I he wins (the Cat and Mouse things did not seam to appealing to him though)... Meanwhile we had a by-stander set the terrain so we could get on with the game...

Summary
     The Mighty Green Machine finds the Eldar well "Dug in" to their fortifications; and tries to lure them out somewhat... The ploy works somewhat and much of the Eldar force is taken down as it emerges from cover; but the Necron casualties are heavy... Fortunately; Necron Reserves emerge in time to vanquish all Eldar from the Battle Field.

BatRep
Necron Attackers were going first.. and as their were 3 Fortified Building/bunkers in his DZ and one set of Trees, I figured his units would appear in or behind those items...  I set-up as far into my DZ as possible with the Warriors (Central to gain RF as early as possible) and I would use the Destroyers (one on each flank but still centralized somewhat) to remove as many figures as possible... I figured that his Infantry was the scariest, and that Falcon would simply have to wait; unless he left it in the open somewhere... As his Defenders 'appeared' I was proven correct and he had the FD's in his Falcon and well tucked away (Central).... the Spiders and Harlies were in a Building (left Flank) to get Maximum Cover saves, and the WL was tucked behind the building that the Spiders and Harlies were hiding in....

Turn 1A.
     The Warriors advance to the Left flank so that his Falcon can't do an instant "Drive-By" and both Destroyer Groups move and gain LOS on his Spiders.... 27 shots later, 6 Spiders die.... they pass their LD test though and my turn is over.
Turn 1B.
     His WL moves out to gain LOS on my Destroyers (takes one down) and his Falcon pulls a Max move to gain 'Drive-by' option for next turn and limt my options this turn... His Harlies stay put and his 2 Spiders advance and try and get more Destroyers (as I did get a little close)... they didn't quite make it into range; but their second Jump puts them behind some trees.

Turn 2A
     WBB has 0/1 Destroyer self repairing.
     14 Warriors move into Terrain and get LOS on his Falcon, wow... I shake it... 10 Warriors advance on Harlies and are now about 17-19 away (close enough to shoot - maybe, and far enough to avoid instant assault). 3 Destroyers move and finish off the 2 Spiders (just)... while the 5 Destroyers adjust thier possition and shoot his WL, I manage 2 wounds but he 'saves' on 1 of them. He is proving to be more resilient than game 1, and he doesn't even have Fortune working on his side....
Turn 2B   
     His Falcon does the Drive-by on my 14 Warriors and those little Fire Dragons took out 10 Warriors (5 of which were not going to get WBB either), and then his Falcon shoots to remove 2 more (he almost wiped the squad - and they were in cover)...  The Harlies advance to the Front of their terrain, and his WL steps even closer and shoots the 3 Destoryers.. Killing 2 more.

Turn 3A
     WBB has 4/7 Warriors self repairing, and 1/2 Destroyers self repairing.
     The now 6 Warriors adjust possition (to avoid TP test) and Rapid Fire into the Fire Dragons... 'Poof' they vanish (and that was lucky as I only killed 4; but he failed his LD test and the squad could never regroup... although we did actually leave them on the table so they could continue to 'run away' until they fell off)...  All 7 Destroyers went after his WL, and wow... I managed another whole wound (and I was rolling good - but he was 'saving' good too).  My 10 Warriors advanced and tried to Rapid Fire (but I got crap Dice and failed the VOT test after I made the Target Priority test to get past his WL).
Turn 3B
     Wow, theres a shock, his Harlies advanced on my 10 Warriors, shoot them and then proceeded to finish them off thorugh assault and a Crappy roll during Combat Resolution; actually looking back though, it was probably a good thing that they got ran over while fleeing from combat. His WL moved and wiped out the 2 Destroyers (No WBB as they were out of range to simular figure - yes, 1 more mistake in the pile for me). His falcon adjusted slightly and unloaded into my now 6 Warriors; downing 3 more.

Mid Game pointOK, on the surface, it looked like he was holding up pretty well so far.. and he was.... I actually was hoping to be doing better at this point, as I had already lost considerable figures... and the Lord and Warriors that were coming soon; would probably never get close enough to actually do anything.... so I needed some help to finish off that WL and to even get anything on his Falcon., not to mention that those Harlies had to go...

Turn 4A
     WBB 1/3 Warriors self Repairs and Reserves Enter.
     The Lord and 10 Warriors come in as far as possible as do the Immortals, while the Destroyers enter to gain LOS on the WL... and the H-Destroyers come in more central to try for his Falcon. The immortals fail the VOD test. Both groups of 5 Destroyers unload into the Wraithlord, causing 3 wounds (he saves 2) so that beast is down to its last wound.... The H-Destroyers manage to hit the Falcon; removing the Pulse Laser and once again shaking it...
Turn 4B
     His Harlies run for cover ASAP... while the WL advances and goes for the H-Destroyers; he misses with the BL, and his EML fails to wound (finally some luck going my way).... His Falcon pulls a "Run and Hide" manouver...

Turn 5A
     WBB is not relavant.
     The Lord and 10 Warriors advance (like they have any other options). The H-destroyers move and actually manage LOS on the Falcon, and they remove the Scatter Laser.... woot... The 4 Warriors Central (which he forgot about, as their Camoflage Black Primer kept them well hidden - oops) turn and advance on his Harlies... and Rapid Fire actually bags 2 Harlequins. The Immortals advance but once again fail VOD onteh Harlies. Both Destroyer Squads poor their shots into his WL and it finally goes down....
Turn 5B
     His Falcon pops out enough to get LOS on the H-Destroyers and between the Scatterlaser and Shuri-cannon he nets 3 wounds (we obviously screwed up here as the SL was suposed to be gone.... ? And moe mmore reason that I make all of my Weapons removable on Magnets, so that you can see what is still available), which I fail 2 of them (more bad luck for me as once again WBB will not be an option). His Harlies move and assault the 4 Warriors (yeah like the Necrons stood a chance in that one); but he retains his possition within the cover and within his DZ)..

Turn 6A
     The Lord, Warriors, and Immortals advance and actually are within range of the 6 Harlies... I pass the VOD tests all around (well hell I am about 10" from them at most) and proceed to unload; he fails about 8 Cover Saves after all the dice are rolled and I rejoice... Then all 10 Destroyers that moved to gain LOS go after that Falcon... I score 4 Glances on it... And here are the Critical Dice rolls as the whoel game hangs on these.... (2-4 -- shaken...  5-5 -- Immobilized, down in my DZ so its a Draw at worst.... 1-6 -- shaken some more, and finally 5-5 another Immobilized do it finally dies.....--- Actually had no weapons left and was immobilized, so he said that because it was non-scoring and out of his DZ, he considered it dead; also to make up for riping me off for shooting with weapons that were already destroyed )... PS... I was roling his Dice as I forgot mine in the car.

Now looking back, I realized several mistakes on my part, as I was playing too spread out and really should have been going all out on 1 unit at a time, as early as possible to play the mission (remove all his units, anyway possible)... I got lucky in the end on his Falcon... but I had some seriously bad luck through the game as well.. Overall, the first game was better (for both of us, as we tried to kill each other, not play Cat and Mouse); and I do not look forward to ever playing a "Rearguard" mission again Gutstikk so leave this one off the list, OK. Necrons are not well suited to being the Attackers (to slow) in this style of game, unless your opponent comes out, your screwed.... he could have hid better and probably beat me with realitive ease.

Cheers and sorry for the wait (played 1st on Wed, and re-game on Friday); but I promised OD from TV that this would be confidential for as long as possible

Also, I am not sure how to define the Victory Margin, as I had 1002pts still scoring (+ 140pts for Lord)... but there are no VP's awarded...

OK, so there it is, and I don't normally put BatRep in here anymore; but as OD from TV and I had a Bet going, I figured I had better give him the full details (as best as I remember).... Oh and I just wanted to add (once again) Rear Guard sucks.... no really, it s horrible mission.

Cheers (moc065)

EDIT: I went back and added a few comments; as we Discussed the game and wnet over a few notes to find that we made some serious mistakes, things like:
-- He killed some Necrons with a ScatterLaser that was non-existant... this was a factor as the unit (H-Dests) could have used its WBB and actually been at full strength in turn 6....
-- His Falcon was technically Weaponless and Immobilized (non-scoring and outside of his Deployment Zone) at the end of the game; thus he gave me the "Win" ...
-- After two attempts on Rear Guard, we still made mission mistakes... as he didn't understand how the Reserves Worked, etc... so we did a thrid game (talk about suckers for punishment)... but, he used his Blood Angle army and I used a completely different Necron List (Brought in my Wraiths, etc)... anyway, that game ended in the BA winning (I failed to take out a single Dreadnaught) and we both agreed that the 3rd game was the final "Rear Guard" game that either of us would ever play... What a weird mission, as even if you plan for it, its too odd to be a whole lot of fun....
« Last Edit: July 2, 2008, 06:55:38 AM by SupREME-10 »
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline tzeentchling

• Infinity Circuit
  • Cthulhu for Pres! Why vote for the lesser evil?
Re: Necrons Vs Eldar (RearGuard - Campaign Week 4)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »
Wait, the falcon was 5-5 immobilized, and then another 5-5 result?  That goes to weapon destroyed, not vehicle destroyed.  Admittedly, the immobilized result meant that it was no longer scoring, but still.
"Every intelligent person, as you know, dreams of being a gangster and of ruling over society by force alone" - Albert Camus

My eldar record in 5th Edition: 3W-1D-1L (12/6/08)

Tactical Guide to CSM: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=148628.0

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 10:05:29 AM »
My, congrats on the win anyway, despoiling bastard. ;)

The way it was going it is a Good thing (for you) that the Eldar player didn't also got his reinforcements in turn 4 or you could have faced one of your too rare defeats.

I congratulate your many mistakes, it just proves that you are human after all.  :P

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 10:39:06 AM »
@ tzeentchling; good of you to note, and thus the reason I wrote in "Dies" and not Destroyed...as it simply remained Non-Scoring (and was outside of his DZ...) so I won; but in fact it did still have a Shuri-cannon working in the end (we just never played Turn 6B... as he couldn't do anything).

@ Godlike Starrakatt, the Slayer of Hubris; nice of you to note that I got Lucky... as I truely did... I played another Rear Gaurd that day, vs Blood Angles, and "lost" as he just sat and held the DZ, and those DeathCompany dudes are near impossible to take out... I poored so many shots into them that in the end his Dread survived to win the Game for him. I hate Gutstikk for even suggesting this mission. I used a different list (as it wasn't campaign) and wanted to see how I could have done with a Mono in there... PS... I was so glad those Wraithguard and Eldrad sat on the sidelines, as I surely would have lost if they had seen the light of day.

PS... I have now lost 4 games with my Necrons (out of 20 also had 1 Draw) so they are not nearly as good as Eldar....   And I am not Human... I am SupREME-10, Denizen of The Machine God ! (I just really need to stop thinking Eldar)

Cheers (moc065)

Offline Aluinn

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 11:57:20 AM »
First of all, thanks for writing the report. I enjoyed reading it, especially because I play both these armies.

I wanted to say, though, that I had a similar experience just recently with a non-standard mission (in this case, the raid mission Ambush), where I felt like my opponent was at such a severe disadvantage from the start that it hurt my enjoyment of the game a bit. He didn't have a very mobile force, and being forced to cram all of his units into a very narrow column, while I got to take nice positions with ideal cover and line of sight, all at a desirable distance from his army (Pathfinders far away and above in cover, Wraithlord pretty close, etc.), was punishing. On the first turn I was able, without any exceptional luck even, to completely cripple his shooting, and it seemed like a bit of a mop-up from there. This is not to praise myself, but to condemn the design of the mission. His army design was not at fault, out of context. It would have been a similarly up-hill fight for me if our positions had been reversed. Also, he made no terrible decisions, IMO, and for myself, I did nothing particularly brilliant. I really shudder to think what would have happened if I had been able to bring ordnance.

Point is, some of these missions just seem tremendously skewed unless each player knows which role they'll be playing and can tool their army for that. Bringing a take-all-comers list, or randomly determining who will be attacker and defender, can lead to games where it feels like the outcome is a foregone conclusion. Not that one player ever literally has no chance to win, but starting a game with a slim chance at victory is not a pleasant experience to say the least, even in non-competitive play.

In short, I wouldn't recommend non-standard missions to anyone unless the roles (attacker and defender) are predetermined and the army lists are specially designed for those roles.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:59:09 AM by Aluinn »

Offline angel of death 007

• Dreadbash Warboss | KoN Veteran
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »
I agree.  The attacker and defender does not make for a good game in the aspect of fair or much in the aspect of fun either.  I played the sabotage mission which meant that I could hardly use any of my regular choices.  For over half the game I spent avoiding sentries and using Tau to assault without being able to shoot just sucked....
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who hated those missions.  Enough venting.

Moc065 nice battle rep.  You had some considerable bad luck but were able to come back in the end.  I didn't hear how OD did... is he supposed to post a report as well?

It sucks playing an army that relies on utilizing all of its forces to work as a whole and only being able to use part of it.  Cron's don't have an extremely high model count to begin with so that must have been a hard mission.  Congrats on a tough win though.

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #6 on: July 2, 2008, 06:59:50 AM »
Thanks for the replies... I went over the notes and Andrew and I discussed a few things... Thus I added a few comments into the BatRep (and made some small alterations)... I also added a footnote...

PS... we did one more game of "Rear Guard" and I am sad to say that when using his Blood Angles (me with Necrons still; although I did alter the list), my opponent handed me a Defeat as I failed to remove his Dread... So my Necrons now havce their 5th Loss... (2 to the same person, as he is also the only person to have Phased Them Out)...

Cheers, (moc065)

Offline Lullysing, Appreciator of the glory of chaos.

• Meet Rager, Close combat robo-monster of doom.
« Reply #7 on: July 2, 2008, 06:22:45 PM »
isnt' the falcon a grav-tank, hence a skimmer ? if so, doesn't immobilised blow up a skimmer?
High powered weapons are so sensorily overwhelming that they are similar to psychoactive drugs. Like LSD, which can convince people they can fly--weapons can make people overconfident. Skewing their tactical judgement.--Ng security
---
Lullysing : yo dude, you there?
[Screwhead] says: yo, just woke up
Lullysing : A car hit my bike, while i was on it.  I don't even have a scratch. Think i should grab a lotto ticket?
[Screwhead] says: Damn! FNP ftw!

Offline Starrakatt

• Infinity Circuit
  • Bitter Vet
« Reply #8 on: July 2, 2008, 07:02:20 PM »
There's that nice little vehicle upgrade that's call Vectored Engine that prevent just that.

Blowing up I mean.

Starky

Join the POC: Craftworld Iyanden - The Ghost Warriors

Quote from: Farceseer Siranaul
Yes you are being dense.