News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The Tomb Blade Discussion  (Read 2719 times)

Offline prot

• Infinity Circuit | KoN Veteran
  • Prot ZA113
The Tomb Blade Discussion
« on: June 12, 2013, 09:20:33 PM »
Fellow futuristic robotic killing machines,

I'd love to get a debate going about the Tomb Blades. They are one of the units I have not used in the codex. I know our fast attack is actually a good section. So why would I bother with this unit?

- I actually like the appearance of the model but the amount of pieces is pretty crazy. A lot of these computer generated models are a lot of work, and I consider these one of the hardest bikes in the game to assemble.
- A speedy shooty unit that does have reasonable upgrades. I plan on getting the armour save upgrade.
- I think the pluses actually include the price.
- Toughness of a bike of course, and there is a bit of a boost to the bike rules in 6th.
- Finally there is some value to me in the twin linked shooting for Overwatch purposes on the Gauss Cannon. As well that could even effect a flyer... I know it's a long shot but still.

So has anyone here actually tried them? How did you do? Are you still using them? How did you field them? Do you think the shadowloom is worth a shot? (I'm just thinking of heldrakes on this one.)

Offline Rampart

Re: The Tomb Blade Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:53:14 PM »
I haven't tried a squad yet, but used proxies as "filler" when I had about 20 pts left over. THe weapon choices allowed me to field it sort of like a Vyper. I had one oppenent convince himself that it was vehicle with AV ten until he assaulted it(I did tell him it was a jetbike).

I'm planning on getting s squad of them, but leaving that weird fin on the back off.

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
Ah, the fin! I like the fin, but I see no reason why you can't just leave it off, as long as your opponent knows what you've got it upgraded with (if anything). I will say with nothing on the back, I'm not sure if you'll like it, but you'll see what I mean.

Anyway on performance, I guess I could follow up to my own post... they've been solid. What a fun little unit. So far I've taken the armour save upgrade only. It just seems to take all the Heavy Bolter type kills out of the game.

On weaponry, that's another matter! I was sure I would go with and stick to gauss. I am second guessing that now. I love the gauss but I find my 'need' or want for the double tap at 12" caused me to get a little too close, too often.

Also I'm not sure on the math on this but it certainly felt like the overwatch situations were stronger with the Tesla ability. So now I like the Tesla slightly more, but it takes tank hunting out of the question for the most part.

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:37:02 AM »
How about equipping them with Particle Beamers? 3 bikes with 3 decent strength small blasts for 120p (beamer + armour save) seems like a reasonable price. I haven't tried them yet, but I've been thinking about it. It feels you could get some nice side shots on tanks, or put quite a lot of hurt on squads bunched up in cover. At least I have good experiences with squads shooting multiple small blasts with decent strength. Back in 4th Tyranid Warriors w/ Deathspitters took down whole Marine squads with relative ease (before everyone & their aunt huddled up in transports...).
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!

Offline prot

• Prot ZA113
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »
Yea, I'm not sure what to do with them. I've only experimented with the Gauss/Tesla variants and so far I'm rather sold on the Tesla. The twin-linked overwatch is absolutely fantastic.

Going from 5 to 3 models for approximately the same points and going from 5 shots (twin linked) blasts may not actually be an equal trade off... unless as you say I start tank hunting weak armour with this unit.

I don't know... I realize on the internet a lot of people like the template idea, but on the table so far I like the Tesla a lot, but I'm going to give it a try. I might as well and see how it actually performs on the tabletop. ;)

Offline Milford Cubicle

• Might I enquire about your spoons?
  • Armies: Necrons, Tyranids, Blood Angels
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 03:02:25 AM »
Going from 5 to 3 models for approximately the same points and going from 5 shots (twin linked) blasts may not actually be an equal trade off... unless as you say I start tank hunting weak armour with this unit.

I don't know... I realize on the internet a lot of people like the template idea, but on the table so far I like the Tesla a lot, but I'm going to give it a try. I might as well and see how it actually performs on the tabletop. ;)

If you do try them, please post the results here as well :). I'm really interested in how they turn out, maybe that'll convince me to actually get the models myself...  In my head, I'd be hunting mostly smaller or tightly packed infantry units, on which the Beamers could inflict a lot of wounds. Weak armour as a secondary target.

BTW, would'nt you be going from 4 (not 5) to 3 models? 3 models w/armour & beamer = 4 models w/armour points wise.
Strange movements at the graveyard detected... Is the Necron board coming back to life?!