News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz List  (Read 1840 times)

Offline kasrkin43

'Ard Boyz List
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:23:41 PM »

HQ

Necron Lord - 210
-Warscythe
-Resurrection Orb
I dont think I've ever played my necrons without this unit

Nightbringer - 360
Monster in CC, good abilities, and will make a good distractionary unit

ELITE

8x Pariahs - 288
Will act as psyker suppression unit but I'm worried about WBB in sinking this many points into a non necron unit.

6x Immortals - 168

Midrange mobile shooting

TROOPS

10x Warriors - 180

10x Warriors - 180

FAST ATTACK

3x Wraiths - 123

3x Wraiths - 123

3+ Invuls are too good to pass up with their CC abilities

3x Destroyers - 150

Antitank, will sit in the back

HEAVY SUPPORT

Monolith - 235

Monolith - 235

Monolith - 235
I've never taken 3 in a game but with the Resorb and Wraiths I feel like it will give me more options later on

TOTAL- 2,487
45 Models
3 Tanks

I know its hard for a 3rd edition codex to compete against the newer ones especially IG Wolves etc. but what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:49:12 PM by kasrkin43 »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
Re: 'Ard Boyz List
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:24:51 AM »
Your Lord is overcosted considering the upgrades you've given him. I think you're forgetting a VoD, perhaps.

I think in a list like this you might want to consider piling in a few more destroyers if you have that option, rather than the Wraiths. You could drop the Lord to achieve this or just lose the VoD if you really feel you need the extra protection of the orb. You could also scale back the Pariahs a bit if needed to get the extra destroyers into the list.

The reason I suggest this shift is that with three Monoliths you stand a real chance of taking out quite a bit of enemy armor, but you need to ensure enemy AT doesn't come in too close to your monoliths via deepstrike and that enemy tanks don't get to shoot. A transport heavy army you can selectively destroy the biggest threat transports and then focus fire on the occupants with the Destroyers to decent effect. An army of deepstrikers is a bit trickier - with NB hiding in the monolith's midst, he can jump out and charge them if they land too close; also, if needed, you can afford to put the destroyer's large base between the monoliths and enemy units so that they can't get close with their short-ranged AT weaponry. If they land out of range you'll be in a good position to template bomb them to oblivion.

I think with this kind of resilience you're in a good place to wreak some havoc on enemy lines. Good luck with the ard boys format, hope you have a blast!

Offline TheGreatAvatar

• H. A. A. W. G. S.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
Your PO is 9 so as your opponent I would concentrate all my efforts on just four units: Immortals, 2xWarriors, and Destroyers. Taking out these units will force you to phase out. With only four units to worry about, my tactics are just that simple, ignore everything else but these four units. Worse, what happens if these units come in piecemeal? I can focus more of my army on what units do come in.

Two of these units suffer from now WBB capability: Immortals and Destroyers. I would target my range weapons on these targets. My CC capable units will attack your
Warriors. With luck, I will sweep them in one assault phase.

Some thoughts:

If you're running with two units of Wraiths, build a Destroyer Lord with Phase Shifter, ResOrb, and Warscythe, attach him to one of the units of Wraiths and run both Wraith units in tandem. I've found this combination to be extremely potent particularly if a Monolith is near by and can be used to pull a unit of Wraiths out of CC.

Pariahs look good on paper but I just haven't seem them be useful. They have a great weapon but are slow and have few attacks. I'd be surprised you get them into CC before being phased out. I think more Immortals would be more beneficial.

Either go with Wraiths or go with Destroyers. Because of the necessity of redundancy due to WBB, just one unit of Destroyer (especially just three models to the unit) is extremely vulnerable. Destroyers work well in larger units with WBB support. A single unit of three will die in the first round of shooting.

The Nightbringer and Monoliths are fine at this level of points. I just thing you need to work on the rest.

A suggestion:

1 Destroyer Lord with Phase Shifter/Orb/Warscythe - 210
Nightbringer - 360
2 x 10 Immortals - 560
1 11 Warriors - 198
1 12 Warriors - 216
2 x 3 Wraiths -  246
3 Monoliths - 705

Total - 2495
PO 12

Offline kasrkin43

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:43:31 AM »
Okay Im rehashing my list. And since I just found out that necrons are slated to be next Im scrapping the 'ard boyz list and just looking for something fun at 2k to hold me over until the new codex.

HQ

Necron Lord - 210
-Warscythe
-Resurrection Orb

Deceiver - 300

ELITES
10x Immortals - 280

TROOPS
11x Warriors - 198

11x Warriors - 198

FAST ATTACK

3x Wraiths - 123

2x Wraiths - 82

HEAVY SUPPORT

Monolith - 235

Tomb Stalker - 195

Tomb Stalker - 195

total = 2010

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 12:22:32 PM »
You could easily lose the Warscythe and have a legitimate 2000pt army.

The Tomb Stalkers are an interesting choice. If you've used them, let me know how they've worked out. I could see them having a lot of fun alongside some Wraiths.

Offline haunt

• Aspect Warrior | I Won the Eldar Army List Competition, and All I Got Was This Title!
  • Play and have fun.
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angel, Tyranids, Necrons and Tau
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 07:30:51 PM »
Aren't Stalkers IA still not GW or did I miss a WD?
This is where Death rejoices, as he teaches the living.

Hoc est ubi mors gaudet, quod ipse docet vivis.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Offline Gutstikk

• Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:10:40 PM »
I don't think they're an official codex item but many people use them in friendly games. So they see some action. They're excellent looking models too. If I had money to spend on one I'd get two :).

Offline SuperSquid

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:33:09 PM »
tombstalkers absolutely destroy IG squads and SM tactical squads.  Hoping to try it against DE and CSm next week :)
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?