News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'ard boyz possible list  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Lazarisreborn

'ard boyz possible list
« on: June 13, 2009, 06:43:01 PM »
I kind of want to participate in 'ard boyz.  I've never been in a tournament though and barely have enough points to play.  Any suggestions on this list?  Keep in mind I cannot change it too much because it is almost all of my models.

HQ:
D-Lord w/ warscythe, rez orb, and phase shifter
The Nightbringer

Troops:
10 warriors
10 warriors
10 warriors
10 warriors

Elites:
10 Immortals

Fast Attack:
3 Wraiths
5 Destroyers
10 Scarab Swarms

Heavy Support:
2 Heavy Destroyers
1 Heavy Destroyers
1 Monolith

=2493
Phase Out = 16

Nightbringer is for the pesky orcs I know I will face because usually they can't take him down in cc. 

I am torn between fielding a walker lord or d-lord...d-lord would ride around with the wraiths or the walker lord would babysit the immortals.  VoD would be useful, but people expect it now. 

Any suggestions on organizing the warriors?  I usually just do 10 in each squad. 

Depending on the enemy, I will either deepstrike the mono with warrior squad in tow or hide immortals behind mono until I feel like popping them in LOS to gun some units down.  Most of the time I keep my warriors in reserve to stall phase out. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Lazaris
"If God did not exist, man would have to invent him"

Offline Doopsie

• Ork Boy
Re: 'ard boyz possible list
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »
For one, you may want to split the Immortals into two groups. It will cause you to have another KP, but it will be far harder for your opponent to kill.

The other problem I have, and a far more serious one, is your fast attack. Necrons need redundancy to excel, because it means it is harder to wipe all of that model out in one turn, which means you will almost always get WBB. Your fast attack so far has no redundancy. Due to costs and likely available models, I would suggest you drop the Wraiths and use the points to add 2 more Destroyers, then split the Destroyers into a squad of 3 and a squad of 4. Wraithwing is fantastic, but doesn't work very well with only three Wraiths.

If you decide to drop the Wraiths and add Destroyers, make the Lord a foot Lord to give res. orb to you warriors, the Destroyers are too high of T to need it. If you can't afford this option, keep the D. Lord, maybe give it Lighting Field, and have the Scarabs, Lord, and Wraiths run together.

Offline Lazarisreborn

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 11:36:58 PM »
I've gotten pretty good at keeping them from going down all at once...The list is built for it.  If against a shooty army, would they shoot the destroyers or the C'tan running down their throat.  If against cc army, the scarabs will be the buffer in front of my army and the destroyers are out of harm's way.

As always, most people shoot the monolith first as it can be very dangerous.

Wraiths can be effective with just a group of 3 you just have to know when to move them.

I can see your point tho.  I just don't want to spend my planetstrike cash on more wraiths/destroyers.  I'll be playtesting it this week so I'll have to see.

-Lazaris

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 11:57:10 PM »
i agree with comments on fast attack, but i have another catch.

-DLORD, stay with warriors + immortals when they need it most, plan out attacks for the destroyers and with his destroyer body you could just move flat out for when the destroyer squads let it rip in a dangerous situation. lastly destroyer body for the lord makes him t6, its great for cc as he has quite low initiative so it lets those warschythe hits have time to sink in.
-I think the veil would still be good for having warriors deep strike last turn to objectives and allowing destroyers to flank tanks such as the leman russ squads out today  :). imagine the 7 destroyers (listed, no idea if you can buy these) let 21 shots hit their back armor!!
-warriors, have one squad of 20 and 2 of 10. lets you have a unit to survive combats (enough models surviving) and have 2 sqauds to multi-manage firepower more. less kill points

also, do you have disruption fields on the scarabs?? and what does phase shifter do exactly, is it the 4++ save?

Offline Lazarisreborn

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »
It's kind of hard to have veil on d-lord so I'd have to either take a d-lord or walker lord w/ veil.  I have never tried the veil with destroyers, but they are so mobile I don't think they need it.  All of them can turbo boost so can claim objectives last turn without veil.  Phase shifter is the invulnerable save.  It helps when I run him with wraiths so they all have an invulnerable save.  I usually charge them against termies so the save lets my lord survive.

Can 20 warriors fit if they come through the monolith portal?  If my warriors are in cc, more than likely I've lost.  I do like the 20 warriors coming through the portal if it works.

-Lazaris

Offline Doopsie

• Ork Boy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:24:08 AM »
Veil on a D. Lord is a waste of resources. Against anything but transport tanks, deep striking will be a disaster, as the tanks will be staying far enough back, especially due to fear of massed gauss, that deep striking behind them would take amazing luck. If the destroyers need to get into position, typically a turbo-boost one turn followed by a normal movement is more than enough.

If memory serves, 20 Warriors cannot fit within 2" of the portal. I think the max is about 18. However, I am not positive, so I would suggest you try it out and report back...

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 01:45:12 PM »
just measure that stuff at home, no need to ask us...you have the models

Offline Lazarisreborn

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 02:27:28 PM »
Is one monolith enough? Or should I try to get a hold of a second one?

-Lazaris

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 05:32:37 PM »
It depends how much you use them and whether it will get its points back. I use 2 becuase they are a trememdous asset to WWBs and then usually 1 can shoot the pieplate per turn or if worst comes to worst, more WWB rerolls! thats just my opinion though - do what suits your playstyle best.
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]

Offline enlg

• I like editing stuff.
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »
i think two is good as it is the tiebreaker for weaponry in a balanced list. a good balanced list could take on one, but two for any army is very hard. its like taking a few transports and then being a meq army or being all infantry, few armies can deal with that

Offline Doopsie

• Ork Boy
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 09:44:42 PM »
I personally take none and instead use the points to max out fast attack with either Wraiths or Destroyers. Granted, my army lists typically max out at around 1500, but I much prefer a speedy army to a slow phalanx. If I'm gonna fight, I want it to be on my terms, and a phalanx basically surrenders all movement to your opponent.

Offline Archaon

• Headshot, double kill, makes a man go *whistle* :D
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 07:02:10 AM »
I doesn't have to be as monoliths can deepstrike and you can tele through the portal. add a VOD lord and you can move quite a lot even in a phalanx
[This sig contains whatever you imagine it to contain]

Offline Lord Alliben

• Ripper
  • jo. Ph34r my l33t skillz. B4x4^2!
    • Alliben's Homepage
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 03:05:14 PM »
I'm not a fan of the heavy destroyers. I'd drop them and find the points for another monolith. They only offer gauss lascannons and 3 of them aren't going to last very long in a 2500 pt battle. Monoliths are far more useful IMHO.

Yeah I suppose you could argue the lack of ranged anti-tank weaponry but I doubt that one round of shooting from those heavy destroyers will be worth the points you're putting into them. Also, with two monoliths your enemy will be hard pressed to bring them down which will take heavy weapons off your normal destroyers and d-lord etc.