News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Swam Lists?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Bishop46360

Swam Lists?
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:22:26 AM »
I have a RTT coming up and I am crunching some lists. This will be my first event outside of my own living room! I usually run 2 squads of Destroyers and 1 set of Scarabs but this time I am contemplating running two squads of Scarabs with a Destroyer Lord, Warschythe and Lightning Field and maybe even Disruption Fields all around. Has anyone ever gone tank hunting with Scarabs?

Offline darthava

Re: Swam Lists?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 05:40:11 AM »
Personally I havent gone tank hunting with scarabs. I think you should go one way with them, either a squad of 10 with disruption fields or a squad of 10 with a lord who has a lightning field. Personaly I use them to take assaults from the enemy, giving the rest of the army another round of rapid fire.

Offline Bishop46360

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2008, 09:00:12 AM »
I was thinking more like using Scarabs w/ D Fields, Lord with Destroyer Body, Warscythe, and Lightning Field to counter a Rhino rush maybe, kill the vehicle with Scythe or DFields, kill the squad with Scarabs and Lightning. Or, maybe even swooping around on those Basalisks. Or, imagine Disabling that Land Raider Crusader and tying up Terminators for 2 turns...

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »
I like 7-8 with d-fields and a lightning field Lord. I don't like it as much as I used to because of the fearless rule and assaults. The scarabs, if in too big a block, get whittled down too quickly and this means the lightning field loses effectiveness more quickly than in previous editions. It's still good in the right circumstances but not essential. Also, the new combat consolidation rules prevent the kind of stuff I took it for from happening [keeping assault units like harlies and wyches from jumping through my lines].

I've been using smaller squads as assault skirmish screens and to provide cover to my warriors, and these work just fine. It adds an extra turn of close-ranged rapid fire by forcing the enemy to assault the scarabs. If they choose to assault the scarabs, generally the fearless rule kills the scarabs off in the first round of combat. Then, you get to shoot the enemy some more. If it's immortals or pariahs shooting, you also get to charge if you need to.