News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 'Ard Boyz 2500 point list. Is this "au gratin" enough?  (Read 1517 times)

Offline BearBitesHurt

• Insolent: Forum Blockhead
  • Careful: I might talk to you like you're an adult
'Ard Boyz 2500 point list. Is this "au gratin" enough?
« on: August 25, 2008, 09:15:43 PM »
Well, here goes.

12 Warriors
10 Warriors
10 Warriors
4 Pariahs
Nightbringer
Lord w/ Destroyer Body, Phase Shifter, Res Orb, warscythe
4 Destroyers
4 Destroyers
2 Monoliths
3 Tomb Spyders
10Scarab bases(as many as will fit)

So I made a few final changes to the list as you can see(Pariahs) and played a test game against Daemons and it went really well.  Just thought I'd let you know. Your advice helped a lot, since there were several times that squads got wiped out and wouldn't have been eligible for WBB if the Spyders hadn't been there, and the Pariahs whipped up on a SoulGrinder and shot up tons of Daemonettes.  The Nightbringer thrashed a Keeper of Secrets and a Soulgrinder and pretty much just stood in the middle of the field and made faces at the Daemons and made them think extra hard about where they were going.  And the Monoliths just did what they do best...  Dakka dakka dakka dakka BOOM!

Scarabs are a handy tool when used against Daemons, since you can spread them out on a flank and make it insanely dangerous for them to deepstrike there.  I had the Nightbringer a little to the right of the center of my force, so I spread my scarabs out on the left side so the Daemons had to either deepstrike farther away from my lines on one side or close to the Nightbringer on the other.  Just a tip.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:48:53 AM by Monster Rain »

Offline darthava

Re: 'Ard Boyz 2500 point list. Is this "au gratin" enough?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:37:10 PM »
you gave you're lord a veil, nothing wrong with that, but how do you plan on using him?(in both games you described.) I can see the use when you deepstrike you're liths(tp an extra squad of warriors into rapid fire range for maximun damage on that turn.) however I wonder what use a veil is when you plan on making an wall of Monoliths and particle whip the adversary to death. Only use I see then is getting a squad out of CC, but you already have scarab swarms as a speed bump.
I hope that I  am not asking silly questions, thanks for awnsering in advance.

Offline moc065

• Infinity Circuit / Necrontyr Lord / KoN Warlord
  • Ancient
  • King of the Preemptive Strike
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »
Your PO=12... so after some freak takes out a mere 37 figures (mostly Warriors would be my bet) you will be gone... I predict that even my Saim-Hann Jetbike army could do this very reliably within 3-4 turns.... Deepstriking Terminator armies, Fast Ork Biker/trukk armies, etc will do it even faster...

Sorry to be a doomsayer; but you have actually gone to far in one direction to do well vs all comers... I see you decimating certain armies, and getting crushed just as often or more... You need diversitly for things like a 'ardboys tourny...

I really do like the Nightbringer with his options; so why not build a Necron Assault army around him, taking the fight to the enemy, and supporting the Mission Objectives with your Warrior base?

CaHG
Join POC: Saim-Hann
or Read the Guide to Eldar
or read the Guide to Necrons

And Click here if you like Magic The Gathering

Offline BearBitesHurt

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
you gave you're lord a veil, nothing wrong with that, but how do you plan on using him?(in both games you described.)

Well the idea is to have him grab Warrior squads to take objectives and get into the opponent's deployment zone pretty easily.

Your PO=12... so after some freak takes out a mere 37 figures (mostly Warriors would be my bet) you will be gone... I predict that even my Saim-Hann Jetbike army could do this very reliably within 3-4 turns.... Deepstriking Terminator armies, Fast Ork Biker/trukk armies, etc will do it even faster...

Don't you think that the Nightbringer would be able to handle Terminators and Orkz pretty well?  I'm going to be keeping him pretty central, so I would just put him between my warriors and the deep-struck units.  The Destroyers can take out Trukks, and they'd still have the Monoliths to deal with...

I see what you're saying about building a stronger CC contingent into my army, but investing in better units will only serve to decrease my Necron count, making me more susceptible to phase out.

And bring your Saim-Hann army up here to New Hampshire, son!   ;D

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »
Its not a matter of the Nightbringer and Monoliths not being able to do their respective jobs... its a question of the enemy getting into Close Combat with your Warriors fast enough and hitting hard enough to break the units and force a Phase out.

I have already faced Necorns at 2K with 2 Mono's and the same sort of concept (Basically your list with 1 less mono, 1 less Destroyer squad) and My Wildriders took a whole 4 turns to take him down to 5 figures total (his PO was = 11 but he said he wanted to see how long he could last, so I used turn 4 to kill more stuff and drop the Monoliths too). By simply avoiding the Nightbringer (whom I think rocks) and/or the Mono's until your ready to deal with them, a smart opponent will phase you out. What you need is "Speed Bumps" and a single unit of Scarabs does not do it....

I am not saying that you couldn't win vs my style of army, or the others I listed... what I am saying is that they will focus on PO, so you better be ready for it. They can also be as fast as lightning and tough as nails, so there is often not much Necron shooting time to widdle them down... Remember that I too play Necrons (and I am doing well with them). I would suggest that you drop 1 Monolith and get a decent squad of Immortals for use as Drop in shooters or Close Combat speed bumps, and they increase your PO number while you would still have 2 Monoliths to set up blocks, etc.... Even better, drop the Mono and the Scarabs and get 2 squads or 6-7 Immortals to augment you shooting, provide speed bumps, and boost your PO number, more options all around.

PS... what do you plan to do vs an army with multiple Armour...such as Mech Eldar, Mech SM/CSM, etc... as your Glancing will slow their shooting; but the CC troops will still get to you.

PPS... Your calling me "Son", well at 41 yrs old that would put you up around 60+ or so... so if I'm ever in New Hampshire, I will look you up at the seniors home and give you a game. (no disrespect to anyone older out there... this is friendly banter between us.. LoL)

CaHG

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 12:42:05 AM »
Well, you've got Nightbringer in there already. You've got 3 monoliths but only 2 need to hit the table to spew out warriors. If you were to drop 1 monolith, you could add some more fun stuff for CC. A simple Lord with a warscythe and resorb could march in the middle of your lines, making the warriors more resilient and assisting the Nightbringer in combat - and he'll live through the soul syphon attack as well, but it's a few extra attacks you get if an IC is in the combat [as the IC would only take a single wound from the large blast and then you'd need something else to pummel it with]. Plus you'd have an additional 85 pts for... something. Wraiths could also fit in well there; again it's more attacks for when you use the large blast, they still get a save against it, and the resorb lets them get back up if needed. Of course, you're outta FA slots...

Just some ideas. Jetbike councils kill C'tan pretty dead, and have a good chance of living through the explosion...

And if the two of you are in new hampshire at the same time let me know. I'll bring my Necrons as well. And Moc, at the very least, can call me son - he's got me beat by about a decade...

Offline BearBitesHurt

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 06:35:53 AM »
I'm thinking you guys are right about  the whole drop a Monolith deal...

So how's about dropping a 'lith and throwing in some Tomb Spyders? I s'pose with the rest of the points I could put D-Fields on my scarabs...

I'd put in Wraiths, but you know, only 3 Fast Attack choices and all that.  I know that I'll be up against Eldar and Tyranids and Destroyers are just better against those armies IMHO.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:44 PM »
1 Mono would get you 3 Spyders, D-fields on the scarabs. These far outclass rapid-firing Necrons at vehicles when you need said vehicles dead, and also they can surround the vehicle - if you glance it to death and the occupants cannot emergency disembark there is a good chance the occupants will die.

You would also have some extra points for a destroyer body/warscythe on the Lord, or maybe something else.

Offline BearBitesHurt

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 05:31:21 PM »
That's a pretty good idea...  And then I don't need to worry about the warriors' placement in regard to WBB...

I think that's how we'll roll.

Drop a Monolith and put in 3 Spyders and D-Fields.

That's a plan!

Offline moc065

• Ancient
    • klucas.piczo.com
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 07:41:29 PM »
Re posts your list with the entended cahnges.

CaHG