News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: The way its meant to be...  (Read 978 times)

Offline A.CHAP

The way its meant to be...
« on: April 15, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »
    The following is my 2000 point list which as well as being very effective is also quite fluffy:

HQ         
Lord   res orb   veil of darkness   

Lord   destroyer   phase shifter   war scythe

Troops         
18xwarriors         

18xwarriors         

Elites         
5xflayed ones         

5xflayed ones         

Fast         
10x scarabs

3x destroyers

3x wraith

Heavy
Monolith

1xheavy destroyer

1xheavy destroyer

This is a fast army which can leap from one side of the board to the other in a single turn as everything either has jet bike movement or is a teleporting warrior. On the turn the monolith comes into play all 36 warriors can be teleported into rapid range on the most vulnerable enemy flank. This is I beleive (fluff wise) the way necrons are meant to fight.

Watcha` think?

Offline DarkAngel50000

Re: The way its meant to be...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 02:44:25 PM »
As I see it there are few minor issues with this list.
 While I have seen a veil used with warriors it is never as effective as using immortals due to the 12" range of the gauss flayer. They will most likely get assaulted after shooting. I would personally take immortals over the destroyers.  . Also if you teleport the lord away from the monolith warriors then you are leaving one squad without Orb support.

How do you plan on using the destroyer lord?  Is he going to be running with the wraiths?  Another great tactic I have seen used (and will soon be running myself) is a destroyer lord with a lightening field and warscythe running with scarabs, it can be very nasty.

Heavy destroyers are unnecessary with the veil because most of the time you  can just veil your warriors or immortals behind the tank and blow it sky high.  If your playing against a lot of tanks they can be worthwhile but otherwise their points could be better spent else where
Good luck
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 02:50:25 PM by DarkAngel50000 »

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:00:39 PM »
Also, there are several effective and fluffy Necron armies that are slow and possibly make no use of teleportation at all! There are also a few varieties of Close Combat necron armies. Your interpretation is an excellent one as well because a lot of people still can't grasp how quick the Necron army can be, and get caught by surprise as a result!

IMO the monoliths are much better for teleporting warriors. I would almost suggest breaking them into three teams, two that start on the board and one to walk out of the Lith. The ones on the board can avoid early threats and then teleport in to add support later on. Larger teams are quite awe-inspiring as they step out of the Lith, especially if they are close enough that they can step out behind it [or behind two of them] and hamper the opponent's ability to assault them [because the Lith or both Liths are in their way].

Offline A.CHAP

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:52:28 AM »
Cheers for the replies.

Warriors need an orb and veil much more than immortals do, if their not getting into rapid range they wont be effective, plus you have to take 20 of `em so you need to make them useful. 18 warriors also do more damage than 10 immortals.

Tried the lord with lightning and scarabs and it is quite good especialy against gaunts. Not against orks as i unfortunatly found out though. This is one of a few ways which you can try to create a "killy" necron hth unit. Doing this is often a mistake as necron cc units are not designed to be killy but rather to distract and occupy enemey units.

Heavy destroyers are esential for dealing with thing like Tyranid MCs, terminators, painboss biker nobs and are more efficient at destroying lightly armoured vehicles like rhinos than normal destroyers.

Offline Gutstikk

• Infinity Circuit | Title here to be dreaded 'til further notice. Rummy's Deepstriking Pylon
  • Ancient
  • I am a Wolf.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 07:48:47 AM »
Bug-zapper lord is quite effective defensively as well as offensively. Consider Eldar harlequins, for instance. They easily cost twice as much as a squad of scarabs and are likely to die to a model simply by killing the bugs too easily. Probably the only thing that can handle quins [and possibly even stealers] in combat in the whole codex. DE wyches, Nids, IG, and Tau are also all susceptible, as are Orks due to their lousy save [generally] and because the scarabs will get to attack at the same speed as a squad of boys [effectively doubling the potential damage]. Add disruption fields and they are also useful against marines and to a lesser extent Chaos [less vehicle-reliant], though in these applications the bug-zapper is less necessary.

Offline A.CHAP

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 09:13:32 AM »
The effect of the bug zapper lord on scarabs is deffinatly benificial to the squad but i do not beleive it to be worth ~200pts. such a squad will cost in the region of 300 pts which is more than any harlequin squad. I have not found this formation to be as useful against such an extensive variety of opponents as you suggest and it is cost effective against very few.

Monoliths are possibly the best way to transport troops in the game but if i were to use a second instead of the veil lord they could not be syncronised to teleport 2 sqauds in one turn. more importantly fielding two may loose me some friends!

Offline uriël1978

• Time for a beer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 04:41:54 AM »
Monoliths are possibly the best way to transport troops in the game but if i were to use a second instead of the veil lord they could not be syncronised to teleport 2 sqauds in one turn. more importantly fielding two may loose me some friends!

Care to explain cause I don't get it. Each monolith can teleport a squad a turn, so 2 monoliths can teleport 2 squads, I don't see your problem. And about loosing your friends because you field 2 Liths, don't worry about that too much. There are drawbacks to fielding 2 Liths, such as less points to spend on necrons, resulting in easier Phase Out.
Click on the eggs and hatchlings

Offline A.CHAP

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 05:16:43 AM »
sorry i was a bit unclear i meant that two liths would not be able to deepstrike at the same time reliably which would be needed to redeploy all the warriors a large distance and suprise people. Two liths is not overpowered it just makes things less interesting.

Offline Andy06r

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
I agree with the whole "don't veil warriors".

It makes the entire 20 man squad fit under a large pie plate, and with the 12" effective range it is extremely easy to scatter onto something and losing the entire 520 pt squad + veil lord, or scatter out of range.

Also, veiling warriors tends to get your lord very close to the fire (he is much safer at 20" with veiled immortals than at 8" with the warriors).  The squad can get rapid fired by anything in the vincinity, and the lord itself can potentially get isolated and picked off in CC.

If your using the veil to protect them from CC, thats a different thing - but if you're using the the veil to get warriors into the fight, its a very double edged sword - and when things go wrong, they go wrong (losing 21 phase out counting models because you crashed into a squad, or get ripped apart by blast weapons).

Offline BearBitesHurt

• Insolent: Forum Blockhead
  • Careful: I might talk to you like you're an adult
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 03:33:44 PM »
This looks like a pretty solid list, and I can see how it fits your vision of a fluffy Necron Phalanx.

The only change I would make is to take out the Wraiths and add another squad of Destroyers or vice-versa.  It's not generally a good idea to take one unit of models that have WBB.  With just one squadron of Destroyers all it will take is a few heavy weapons volleys and without another unit nearby your long range shooting is gone for good.  Considering the point level you're playing at, you'll want as much 36 inch Gauss fire as you can muster.