News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: HEavy destroyer?  (Read 2344 times)

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
HEavy destroyer?
« on: July 26, 2002, 08:14:45 AM »
what is the point in them?

for the price of 3 you can get a whole quad of warriors and waste any tank.
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline Tycho

• BEEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • My 40k Site (still lots to to be done)
Re:HEavy destroyer?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2002, 09:19:50 AM »
i agree i also think that they are a wast of time.
"The Machine is strong. We must purge the weak, hated flesh and replace it with the blessed purity of metal. Only through permanence can we truly triumph, only through the Machine can we find victory. Punish the flesh. Iron in mind and body. Hail the Machine!"

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2002, 10:57:42 AM »
My own analysis of the Destroyer vs heavy destroyer can be read here.

http://www.eldaronline.com/community/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=11250
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 11:58:50 AM »
Well I suppose they could take out Termiators whats their AP? I leant my codex to a mate so don't have it at the minute!!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2002, 12:36:21 PM »
The heavy gausscannon has an AP2. But how many terminators have you seen unscreened lately?

Against tyranid sv 2+ bugs it will probally be somewhat effective though.

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2002, 03:19:32 AM »
They're good against people with distance and have strong front armor per se.  Such as a land raider.  Plus they can shoot 36" which is decent (not the mention the strength 9 ap 2).
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Tobab816

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2002, 10:37:56 AM »
The regular destroyersquad  is just as effective point for point against the Land Raider(due to the Gaussweapon effect)as the Heavy Destroyersquad. Included in that effect the regular Destroyer has 1 more wound.

The Heavy Destroyer is only more effective against AV12-13 but NOT skimmers.

Also when it comes to toughness it's only more effective against big things with 3+ saves(or T4 and multiple wounds) or anything with a 2+ save.

Night_Of_Necrons

« Reply #7 on: August 1, 2002, 06:16:37 AM »
destoroyers are all around better, well pretty much, the only thing that is better about heavy destroyers is that the heavy gauss canon is str9 ap2. but only gets one shot which kinda sux unless ur shooting at a tank. i think in every other aspect normal destroyers are better. a squad of 5 destroyers could take out a medium sized brood of 'gaunts easily. (3 shots/destroyer, so 15 str6 ap4  rng36'' shots, ballistic skill 4.) no saves cuz of ap. this would also be just effiective against tanks/wraithlords/dreadnaughts etc...b/c they are gauss weapons so ne 6's rolled to wound(units) or to hit(vehicles) would be just as effective, and better then only 1 shot.so get normal destroyers.

-NoN :o

Offline SMiF

« Reply #8 on: August 2, 2002, 06:11:47 PM »
Yeah, since it's a gauss weapon, it's autowound on a 6 anyways :P  
SMiFSoNiaN

Niklas Kriig

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2002, 05:00:53 PM »
The destroyers is in my opinion, a supurb Anti-tank unit.
Is it like this, that they can move like 12" and then shoot 36"? i don't remember really....

Offline SMiF

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2002, 03:15:30 AM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I don't know if a skimmer move 6" or 12"?  ???
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Bezerker

• Blood for the Blood God!
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2002, 10:55:38 AM »
Thye can move 12
The Throne was a mile high. Constructed of ancient brass and bare, bone white skulls. A river of blood twisted around it and followed down a long brass road to meet the throne. The place was lite only from the white hot fire which erupted from time to time, a evil forge. As I approached the top I lo