News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: About the pariahs  (Read 3474 times)

Offline SMiF

• ¬_¬ What are you going to do huh?
About the pariahs
« on: July 20, 2002, 08:30:15 PM »
Wow, I just had a discussion about the pariahs, they're great!  Although the morale check for the psyckers aren't that great (since chances are, you won't really get to them in a game), but probably the 2 best things about them is 1) They have gauss weapons, and 2) they have warscythe.  And with the latter, they can tear apart almost anything!  And whatever they can't wound they shoot to wound with a 6.  Too bad they can't be WBB and use other necron abilities! :)

What is the fluff about the pariahs anyways?   Like I mean how did they become what they've become?
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Tobab816

• Chaos Warmaster, Promoter of Deathball!
Re:About the pariahs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2002, 11:44:30 PM »
Immortals also have Gaussblasters...cos ts less, are thougher.

The key about Pariahs is they reduction of all enemy Lds to 7. Which means that a Pariah augmented attack will probally break the enemy squad.
Deathball, the new game of bloody basketball, 40k style!

+++Excerpt from Last Chaos/Space marine game, commentator: Inquisitor Khalheed "The Purgator" Qhor, Ex-Deathball player+++

Chaos vs Space Marine grudgematch today ended 23-19 when Brother Grazieel decimated the chaos team with a heavy bolter.

Afterwards the Chaos Coach Zhuriel the Damned stated "If we weren't ideologically in favor of cheating we'd complain about this""
+++End of transmission+++

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2002, 05:41:07 AM »
I think pariah are not worth their points. They are slow (ok, they have assault weapons), but terminators are known to be overpriced, they have better armor, power fists, a 5++ save and can deepstrike.
Pariahs sacrifice WBB and teleport ability for S+1 and a warscythe. But they're not that good in close combat, two flayed ones are usually better and cost the same. The only use of pariahs is against inv saves, but they're too slow to reach close combat unless the enemy wants them to reach him or if he comes to them. Even with S and T of 5 a single attack is ridiculous.

Go specialized, use immortals and flayed ones. Pariahs are a mix between them but they do not excel.

jwu

Offline khaine

• This happens when I am bored.
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Truly Dread
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2002, 05:57:07 AM »
Ok, Pariahs are without doubt expensive.

But they pack good fire power and are reasonable in hand to hand combat.

Yes Immortals have the same weapons and are cheaper. Yes Flayed Ones are half the cost and good in hand to hand.

What most people miss is that Pariah are the ultimate 'Terror' troops and an excellent support squad..

How about a 10 man Flayed One backed up by 5 Pariahs, the Pariahs need only be withion 12" of the Flayed Ones opponents and suddenly those opponenets have to make the Terrifying Visage roll for the Flayed One on Ld 7.

Necron Lord with a Nightmare Shroud and a squad of Pariahs. Every enemy within 12" has to test on Ld 7 or fall back.

Throw a Lord with Gaze Of Flame into combat with some Pariahs and the enemy is making break checks on Ld6 before mods' for out numbering......

Combine this with some fast moving units (Wraiths and Scarabs) to get behind the enemy and suddenly you've got a lot of options for taking out hard enemy units with cross fire.

There's no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed

You can't see the eyes of the demon until him come calling.

This is dread man, truly dread.

"Childhood is when you idolize Batman. Adulthood is when you realize that the Joker makes more sense."

Offline high-avatar

• It has come for you
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2002, 06:17:32 AM »
Heres a thought if pariahs can't teleport in any way then howcome almost every picture of pariahs in the codex shows them coming out of the Monolithes frount portel???

Just a idea on how baddly GW think things though, some idiot is going to look at and think the pariahs not having the necron abillity is a typo even if it is mentioned twice!!
Everything that has a begining must have an end, I see the end I see the Darkness spreading I see Death.

Offline Arcas

• Aksho Tzeeneth Phaos
  • Ancient
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2002, 06:31:44 AM »
Probably those guys who create the pictures for GW don't know the rules, they just see some miniatures that GW gave them as models and they draw what they think is a great picture.

jwu

Offline snakeman111

• Yo MAMA!!!
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2002, 11:27:54 AM »
Those people that make those pictures are photographers they probably dont even play the game. They just set the figures up in good positions and then photograph them.

BloodThirster

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2002, 05:11:36 PM »
The most irretating thing about Necrons is that if you loose more than 75% of you'r army (i think,mabye 80%)
You loose. but if this rule was not in the Necron codex, i would think that the Necron race is very imbalanced.

Offline CorpBoy

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2002, 09:57:50 PM »

The most irretating thing about Necrons is that if you loose more than 75% of you'r army (i think,mabye 80%)
You loose. but if this rule was not in the Necron codex, i would think that the Necron race is very imbalanced.

It's there, and I think the 75% number is correct.

Offline SMiF

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2002, 01:15:23 AM »
Yeah that's quite a problem, thats why I've always tried to have as much warriors, or perhaps even other necrons that counts towards the phase out rule as much as possible.  Thats why in a 1000 or 1500 point game, having a C'tan or sometimes even a monolith is not a good idea since that's only 1 or 2 guys that do NOT count towards your phase out rule and it costs about 1/3 of your whole army!
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline Fuegan

• Death to those who oppose us!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2002, 05:57:58 PM »
can pariahs teleport with the lord using the VoD? cause in the necron special rules it says nothing about having to be a necron to teleport.
over the white cliffs of Dover there is a lovely beach 300 meters below which can be reached in 3.2 seconds.

Ulthwe Strike force   wins:7    draws:0    loss:1

Wood Elves             wins:7    draws:1     loss:4

Chaos                     win:1     draws:0     loss:3

Please visit my site at www.craftworld.s5.c om

Offline SMiF

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2002, 09:33:38 PM »
But Pariahs don't follow the special rules that is for a necron (in the codex for each character it will say if they're included in the special abilities or not)
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline snakeman111

• Yo MAMA!!!
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2002, 07:41:41 PM »

can pariahs teleport with the lord using the VoD? cause in the necron special rules it says nothing about having to be a necron to teleport.

It says it where it explains the VoD in the Wargear section it even lists the units that can teleport.

Offline Greg

• Eldar
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2002, 12:31:16 PM »
I play Eldar but find it interesting looking at the tactics of other peoples armies. When I last played Necrons in a Recon mission I was caught out by the phariahs and flayed ones combo. You only need to take 3 phariahs and against any assault army the souless rule is great.

Necrons are surpisingly good in assualt in their own unique way, just cuz they are hard and there are loads of em. But the army only works best when it works as one, so you have to stay together and shoot at the enemy, wait unit the enemy assaults you and then counter them as you slowly move forward and consume.

The Lord is the focal point of a necron army and the wargear you give it virtually determins the tactics of your army. For anyone else wanting to defeat necrons the Lords are the Primary targets.

Offline SMiF

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2002, 04:26:24 PM »
I agree.  Depending on what sort of wargear you bring determines the type of style you will be playing.  Plus the wargear you bring also somewhat determines whether the type of scenario will ensure your win or lose.

By that, I mean if you are playing a really good assault army that ignores armor saves or the like, then you would give your lord a 4+ inv save, or if the opposing army is very mobile.  You would attach your lord with something like wraiths or destroyers who have strong mobility and give him a destroyer body.  It only makes sense that way (to me anyways :P).  

And also, if I decide to choose a necron army that will only focus on assault, then I would give the lord a warscythe plus anything that would either counteract or lose the opposing army's abilities.  :)
SMiFSoNiaN

Offline True Emperor

• Behold The True Emperor of Man
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2002, 10:23:11 PM »
I think everything else has been covered except the fluff thing so here goes with the Q and A hour.

Q:Why does a psyker fear and loathe the Pariahs?
A:Because they are a dead space in the warp.

Q:What else has the same effect on Psykers?
A:Culexus Assasins.

Thats right, the C'tan have been waiting a long time for their crop of anti-psykers to be ready to reap and reap they do.  They C'tan have been ubducting Culexus assasins for awile and melding them with Necron tech to form the perfect shock troops.  That also explains why they are a 0-1 choice because of their rarity.

Offline Halberd-Blue

• Lazerous Penguin
  • Long Live C'Nesha
    • Lord of the Universe's Website
« Reply #16 on: August 7, 2002, 11:18:05 AM »
Front Cover: Warriors coming out of Monolith, no Pariahs in sight
Inside of Cover: Warriors coming out of Monolith, no Pariahs in sight
Pg. 17 Pariah walking around, no monolith in sight
Pg. 23 Pariahs fighting Humans, no monolith in sight
Pg. 34 Pariahs near Monolith.  On all the other pictures shoting other units, it names the units the picture is focusing on.  It does not name the Monolith here, as it names Destroyers in the picture above, the Monolith on pg. 35, etc.
Pg. 35 Flayed Ones near Monolith, Monolith named in picture
Pg. 39 Necron Lord with 10 Pariahs probably 9 or so inches away from Monolith, Monolith not named along with them (like the Destroyers and Tomb Spyders paragraph heading
Pg. 40 Pariahs in front of a wrecked human tank, no monolith in sight
Pg. 44 Pictures of Monolith and Destroyers, no pariahs in sight
Pg. 45 Warrior on the steps of the Portal of a Monolith, no Pariahs in sight
Pg. 46 Monolith with a squad of Warrior in front of it, no Pariahs in sight
Pg. 51 Warriors emerging from the Monolith, no Pariahs in sight
Pg. 63 Pariahs herding humans?  No Monolith in sight
Back Cover: Pariahs in front of Monolith, might be emerging

Heres a thought if pariahs can't teleport in any way then howcome almost every picture of pariahs in the codex shows them coming out of the Monolithes frount portel???

As you can see, only 1 picture has the Pariahs coming out of the Monolith, and even that is iffy because only 2 of them are within (from what it looks like).

I play Eldar but find it interesting looking at the tactics of other peoples armies. When I last played Necrons in a Recon mission I was caught out by the phariahs and flayed ones combo. You only need to take 3 phariahs and against any assault army the souless rule is great.

Minimum squad size for Pariahs is 4.

I think pariah are not worth their points. They are slow (ok, they have assault weapons), but terminators are known to be overpriced, they have better armor, power fists, a 5++ save and can deepstrike

GW has stated that you aren't supposed to compare units between armies, it doesn't work that way.  Pariahs cost 1 point more than Wraithguard, but I don't see too many people saying Wraithguard are overpriced, and I play Iyanden.

I think everything else has been covered except the fluff thing so here goes with the Q and A hour.
Q:Why does a psyker fear and loathe the Pariahs?
A:Because they are a dead space in the warp.
Q:What else has the same effect on Psykers?
A:Culexus Assasins.
Thats right, the C'tan have been waiting a long time for their crop of anti-psykers to be ready to reap and reap they do.  They C'tan have been ubducting Culexus assasins for awile and melding them with Necron tech to form the perfect shock troops.  That also explains why they are a 0-1 choice because of their rarity.

I think GW made Pariahs 0-1 for balance reasons.  Black Templars only have 3 Land Raiders, so they should be 0-3 or something like that, but if they have multiple Detachments they could have more than 3!  (though I don't play BT so I don't know if Land Raider Crusaders are 0-1, whether they can even take normal Land Raiders, or if they can take normal Land Raiders, whether they are 0-something)
"The rewards of tolerance are treachery and betrayal."