News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Help Eldar against unusual Chaos tactics.  (Read 1107 times)

Offline - Aegis -

Help Eldar against unusual Chaos tactics.
« on: October 18, 2003, 12:19:47 PM »
     Right... I recently challanged our local Annapolis GW manager "to a duel"... and those were my exact words. I wanted to try my chops against him, the three-time North American staff champion. Needless to say, it was a massacre.
     I threw together a list, geared towards beating up SMurfs, which was the closest thing to Chaos marines I had faced up to then. A full squad of guided reapers, a squad of banshees and an exarch, a falcon with starcannon which I intended to park hull-down for full use of both weapons, two 10-man squads of concealed guardians with starcannons, and the Wraithlord which had performed admirably since I got it (three games before).
     But what he did was quite odd. He poured about most of his points (in this 1000 point game) into footslogging marines, with only 3 obliterators and one defiler to provide any kind of variety. He managed to get 8 missile launchers into all this infantry (and obliterators, which each had one). All he did, was lay his men down in ranks and files, staring down the only corridor I could reach him by. His men never moved, with the exception of the defiler, who shambled up the field in between painful guess ordinance shots. To top it off, he blew up bunkers across the field, leaving me no place to hide. It was some special rule for the chapter he was playing. Iron Warriors, I think... though I may very-well be wrong.

so... Help?

-Disgrunlted_Santa
Victories: ∞
Draws: 1
Losses: -24

Offline Invidious

• Lazerous Penguin
Re:Help Eldar against unusual Chaos tactics.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 12:44:42 PM »
Wow, my friends csm worked exactly the same way, except in place of the obliterators he had a Dreadnaught with Havoc launchers.  Then he got a pretty butch lord of some kind, a pack of daemonettes, and usually some type of a fast attack squad, rapotors or bikes or something.  

Unfortunately, I never got to face it with my eldar, I only did DE against it,  but I got pretty good at whipping butt.  

1) Play a mission with some kind of objective, not rampant slaughter-fest.

2) DON'T let him force you through a column like that!  If terrain is set up in such a way, object!

3) Forget the fact that you're getting nailed and go for the objectives.

That was my basic strategy.  If those launcher squads don't move thats a lot less of the army that you have to deal with when attacking something like take&hold or cleanse.

Don't try to engage the marine squads with missile launchers, you expend a lot of recources doing nothing.  Instead hit the defiler, and anything he has that is fast.  After that your quick eldar units will gain a slight advantage.

Forget about the Wraithlord, that many missile launchers makes T8 look like a joke, just leave  it at home.  Instead take a pair of skimmer tanks, of the falcon variety most preferably.  Missiles don't work too well, and if he does down one he probably shot a lot of his army into it and it drew a lot of fire.  Just like you said hull-down it and let er rip.  That or advance both along a flank and try to cause havoc, hell, use tank shock.

For the rest of your army comp... I don't know.  A combat squad of scorpions or banshees or something, throw em in one of the falcons.  Guardian squads with SCs or rangers.  Avatar would probably be good, maybe a warwalker hulled down with starcannons.  That or a prism cannon (guided) for long range marine death, and another skimmer-tank for him to worry about.  

Wasp
The thing I hate the most about 40K is people who amass the largest possible quantities of their Codex's most powerful unit and then proceed to call it "theme".

Offline lennartL

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 12:57:03 PM »
well, there is but one thing that really works against iron warriors (my usual opponent plays them as well)

VYPERS WITH STAR CANNONS!

take loads, like 6 or so and don't tool em up more then the 65 points they cost with the weapon.

that's 390 points of pure iron warrior hate.

take defender guardians, 1 squad of 9 and 1 of 10  and let your farseer go with the 9 man squad, and get 2 wave serpents with twin linked bright lances to carry the guys. ( give them spirit stones)

I usually get the farseer with just 1 simple power like mind war or something,
if you have points left, you can invest in some swooping hawks with an exarch with sustained assault and web of skulls.

I don't have a codex right here, so don't know if it will fit in 1000, but this is what works for me against em when I play 1500.

be warned though that he could field a completely different army and that your vypers need some serious cover in order to survive turn 1 if he goes first,  (don't use bunkers, he'll blow em up.)

just my humle opinion, and I might be a bit puristic about the speed in the army, but that's where you beat a foot slogging army.

Offline Purple Area

• Ancient
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 01:27:12 PM »
Well if you really wanted to be be-atchy, you could play Biel-Tan and take 2 squads of Reapers, then 2 Falcons (with CTMs), and then fill up the rest of your points on Vypers with starcannons and CTMS and maybe some farseers with guide.

Obviously the main tactic would be to guide, shoot, and hide.  You'd probably need some lances or something to pop that Defiler early, but other than that, you'd be set.

Or you could play Saim-Hann, and just make an army FULL of vypers with starcannons/lances and CTMs.  That option is pretty much void though, because I doubt you have enough vypers, and its rather power-gaming anyway.

Depending on how big the board is, you could D-cannon the CRAP out of him.

But what models do you have?  Because we could make up lists geared towards taking down that list all day, suggesting things like d-cannons, CTMs (thats a big one), but most of the things we're going to suggest may not work because you might not HAVE them.

Anyway, I would say if you really just wanted to beat him, load up on the CTMs (unless theres no terrain).
http://rangerofalaitoc.proboards25.com/index.cgi

Highschool:  Too many characters and not enough plot.

If she can't take a joke, f*** her.
~ Tucker Max

When reason fails, go for volume
~ Calvin

Offline - Aegis -

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 02:08:09 PM »
Hm... I have a pretty piddly army, if you ask me, but it's still alot of fun, and pretty well balenced.

1 Farseer
2 Warlocks
20 Guardians
2 Support platforms w/crew
8 Swooping hawks
1 SH Exarch
8 Banshees
1 B exarch
4 Dark Reapers
1 Exarch
4 Warp spiders
1 Exarch
1 Jain Zar
1 Falcon
1 Wraithlord
1 Venom

I modified the venom from the vyper that came with my Battleforce. I figured it would be useful with TVR.

I can, however, borrow some units from my friend, who has the complete Eldar army list, but I would prefer not to. His paint scheme clashes. ;D

I was also thinking about the Vypers, and having them split up into as many seperate squads as possible (I was thinking 3 lone Vypers). However, I decided not to add that to my post. It was long enough, I was afraid people wouldn't want to finish reading it. Also, it has been suggested to me to make this next army list a 2000 pt. one. The manager was doing me a favor cutting down his list that much for me. All he's going to do is take three more defilers, more missile launchers, and maybe (maybe) a more expensive HQ.

One final note: I'd like to stick to a shooty army. Assulting him when his entire army is crammed into a two-foot space is suicide.

thank you all so much for your help sofar.

- Disgruntled_Santa
Victories: ∞
Draws: 1
Losses: -24

Offline Midnight Stalker

• The time of Ragnarok is upon us...
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 11:59:02 PM »
trying to out gun an Iron warriors army is.... well VERY hard with what you have.

best way to beat them: Speed he has a nearly immobile army, mount up move fast, shot him up, and then tie him up in HtH so he cant shoot.

get the HtH going with a unit of eiither lots of guardians or something tough. if you trhwo a close combat in the front ranks nothign behind can see to shoot, so they will be forced to move, thus reducing the effectiveness of thier shooting.

it also sounds liek you got screwed on terrain lay out.
... and when my time comes I will embrace death with a smile and a laugh...

NUFFLE SUCKS!!!!
Apprentice Blasphemer
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association

Offline FarseerExodite

• Speed is my master, Melee my mistress...
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2003, 01:14:44 AM »
1000 points of iron warriors...well i run two things against that lot

farseer with fortune
scorps, banshees, fire dragons, all loaded into serpents, the fire dragons can be tossed into a falcon instead...

or a slightly tougher list
farsser with fortune, scorps in a wave serpent, scorps in a falcon and another pack of scorps in a falcon, much tougher, that thing WILL get up the field, falcons just don't die.

but i'm guessing you're not a swordwinder

oh, and you will not be able to out shoot that unless you go 2 reaper 3 maxed guardian squad with vypers...but ordinance will remove that army from the table with disgusing ease, i assure you that if you arm yourself up right the eldar can out do any army in 40k a their own game

kaldrin

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2003, 01:41:44 PM »
I tend to agree with Midnight Stalker. It's extrememly hard to take Iron Warriors with what you have.

A lot would depend on the terrain and the weapons you have on the platforms and other stuff if he really gets a burr in his stockings about wysiwyg.

You can use vibrocannons, brightlances and EMLs to take out the defiler. I'd just generally stick to a hit and run type tactic using your falcon, warp spiders and hawks. Also, invest in some heavy weapon platforms. You've got enough guardians to field up to 4 of them. that would have helped a tonne.

As for the terrain, well, you just have yourself to blame for that. :)