News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Discussion: Tank-shocking a Tank  (Read 1020 times)

Offline - Aegis -

Discussion: Tank-shocking a Tank
« on: April 24, 2003, 10:26:55 PM »
My friend and I were up extremely late one night, and I was in the process of having my army shamed by his Tau, when this question came up: What happens when you tank-shock a tank? There are no rules for it, so this could be a nice time to establish some home rules. The more people involved here, the better... I even wouldn't mind having an all-mighty Moderator chip in with any juicy tidbits from the rule book, if he can find anything in it that applies.
Victories: ∞
Draws: 1
Losses: -24

Offline Squ!rReL

• Rapist of the Treetops
Re:Discussion: Tank-shocking a Tank
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 10:32:17 PM »
Well tank shocking is ineffective since vehicles are fearless, though many people have thought of 'Ramming' rules, which i hope to develop with my buds someday, though it gets very complicated, like you cant ram skimmers, you need a higher armour value than the thing you are ramming, speed of movement, etc etc

Though i would love to see any you came up with,
Squ!rReL

Offline Yentz

• My Warjack Pwns Your Dreadnought
  • Ancient
  • Im Guilty
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 10:33:06 PM »
Vehicles don't have leadership value. Nothing involving leadership or morale or anything like that affects them. Not to mention it would be kinda be ammusing to see a vyper ram himself against a land raider crusader...But no, there is no such thing as a tank shock against tanks.

Volren

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 10:58:31 PM »
Ramming rules? Hmmm... wouldn't benefit Eldar much, to be skimmers their tanks have to be light- ramming them into something like a Leman Russ would be suicidal.

But it would be fun if I could ram other tanks with my Land Raider...

Offline Russian Ninja

• I don't want to hurt you, I just want to kill you
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 11:48:07 PM »
Yeah, Eldar look down upon suicide as one of the worst acts one could possibly do. Besides, it would be rather unbalenced and hard to impliment.

The Key to victory is to use cheep tactics, unfair units and attack in overwhelming numbers at your enemy's weakest point.

Whenever in doubt, destroy everything.

Offline moojaro

• The Invisible Man
  • Ancient
  • Kage Akuma
    • Eldar Online
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2003, 01:52:40 AM »
well not really
every vehicle gets a base of 1D6 + 1D6 per 12'' moved

so lets say a vyper decideds to ram a  tank and moves 24" so he would get 3d6 strength to beet the armor

but not only do you role for the enemy tank
you aply the 3d6 to your front armor

so you are pretty much garntied to cause some damage

now it is very late @ night and theses are just ruff rules
so don't bite my head off
mooj,

Experiance the Nerdom

<insert super cool sig here>
come see my pix!

Offline GoldFish

• Cosmic to say the least.....
    • My pictures of models and terrain!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2003, 07:25:07 AM »
Itd be funny with a land raider crushing an ork trukk, Like watching modern day tanks mangle cars as the drive over them.  Like as mentioned before though, driving a vyper of falcon into a landraider would pretty much crunch the gravtank.  Itd be like driving into a brick wall at 60mph
'The two most abundant things in the galaxy are hydrogen and stupidity'

Offline kharn012000

• The world is flat I tell you
  • I pick fights with fighting_scars!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2003, 07:29:40 AM »
that still trashes the brick wall, and your'e not taking into effect the explosion... vyper to ram land raider=guided missle

Offline Sgt. Sota

• March Avatar, Death Awaits!
  • Tonight we dine in... Denny's!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2003, 07:55:18 AM »
Assume the Crew try to jump out of the Tank/Vyper, but just fail. ending up as part of a big missile.
Only the dead have seen the end of war

Offline Burn The Heretic!

• Oh I'm sorry my kill tally says three minotaurs!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2003, 08:04:48 AM »
Enough Eldar are dying without them commiting suicide..........
You accuse me of being a madman. What right do you have to judge what is sane and what is not? I have fought with the shadows on the edge of your vision I have seen the faces that laugh at you in your nightmares I have entered the realm between worlds there there is no time or place I have clashed with creatures the sight of which would sear your soul to the core I have faced death eye to eye, blade to blade. Yet you accuse me of being a madman you who have never had your sanity tested so sorely

Offline rangerdisruption

• My future ex-wife
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2003, 08:34:29 AM »
Assume the Crew try to jump out of the Tank/Vyper, but just fail. ending up as part of a big missile.

It would be like a Grot Bomb!!!!!!!!
I'm magically delicious!

Offline Poseidal

• Knight of Cheome
  • Armies: Eldar, Space Marines, Dark Eldar
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2003, 08:42:26 AM »
Maybe if the Eldar vehicle had some kind of force field,

It would be like a 'Distortion Punch' from Nadesico!

Or a Gekigan Flare!

Offline Farseer Ulthrion

• Hello All,
  • Ancient
    • In case anyone is wondering what I do at university
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2003, 11:03:55 AM »
Hello all,

I thought of some ramming rules a way back. I have never used them, but I'll throw them in as well :)

Vehicle 1 wants to ram vehicle 2:
Vehicle 1 must move straight towards the intended target. If he makes it to the target, then they ram. After the ram, if Vehicle 1 was not shaken, stunned, immobilized or destroyed, it may finish it's move like normal.

Ramming:
Each vehicle takes it's AV value (of the side which is used to ram/is rammed), and adds a D6. Then, each vehicle substracts a D6 from that result. This is the AV that they glance with eachother. If Vehicle 2 can only suffer glancing hits ofmr shooting attacks, then it can only suffer glancing hits form ramming. Vehicle 1 can always suffer penetrating hits regardless of being a skimmer or not.

Example:
Land Raiders tries to ram a Predator in the side.
Land Raider takes his front AV. He first adds a D6, and then substracts a D6. The total is 13.
The Predator takes his side AV. He first adds a D6 and then substracts a D6. The total is 14 (he rolls great).

Result: the Predator suffers a penetrating hit, while the land raidar suffers a glancing hit.

Well, what do you think of this? (just a concept though)

Farseer Ulthrion
"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes."
-Edsger W. Dijkstra

Read about my  Daughters of the Martyred Lady (Sisters of Battle).
Check out my collection of Manga and Anime.

Offline afrisch

• Go Ulthwe!
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2003, 12:34:35 PM »
well, maybe skimmers could fly super fast in front of the tank, and make a sonic boom that causes damage pending on the size of the tank.  like a vyper would do 6+D6 damage cause its small, so theres no way it can hurt a land raider from the front....and a falcon could do 8+D6 damage, and a wave serpent could do 9+D6, but if the vechile fails to glance or penetrae, roll a d6.  On a roll f 1, the vechile is immobolised, this represents it going too fast and over heating its engines, or they accidently hit the tank, or the tank just shoots it.  
Long Live the Guardians!!! <-- i know its a contradiction :)

Offline TheMightyPikachu

• Pi-Ka-Chu!
  • Ancient
  • The Mightiest
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2003, 01:34:13 PM »
well, maybe skimmers could fly super fast in front of the tank, and make a sonic boom that causes damage pending on the size of the tank.  like a vyper would do 6+D6 damage cause its small, so theres no way it can hurt a land raider from the front....and a falcon could do 8+D6 damage, and a wave serpent could do 9+D6, but if the vechile fails to glance or penetrae, roll a d6.  On a roll f 1, the vechile is immobolised, this represents it going too fast and over heating its engines, or they accidently hit the tank, or the tank just shoots it.  

that seems too... odd though

better to just give skimmers rules to avoid ramming

sure would be buckets of fun for orks though, that's how i've always wanted to play speed freeks
www.andylc.deviantart.com
did you know I can draw?

Offline - Aegis -

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2003, 05:06:15 PM »
Well, me and my friend got to talking about tank-shocking (or ramming), and came up with something, although we didn't quite agree on some things (like the issue of skimmers). When you ram someone, both vehicles add a D6 to their affected armor values. The one who is higher wins out, and rolls on the glancing table. If the two new totals are equal, the ramming vehicle is the one who gets to roll on the glancing table (representing the advantage of ramming over being rammed). My friend, like many of you, thought that skimmers shouldn't be able to ram. I think that they can ram just as much as they want, but naturally, they won't be as effective as, say, a Rhino. There is no need for special rules, though, this skimming disadvantage is reflected through the lower armor values inherent in most skimming vehicles.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2003, 05:07:46 PM by Disgruntled_Santa »
Victories: ∞
Draws: 1
Losses: -24

Offline Addinarr

• First Venge Mod
  • Ancient
  • Fall for a moment
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2003, 12:41:18 AM »
Eldar should only be able to ram when reduced to half or less of their original point value.

It's not impossible to use a Vyper and ram a Dreadnought [or something that big. Carnifex anyone? Or even masses of troops. And while the Vyper would probably be losted, it is possible that the pilot and gunner could jump clear before impact. It happens often enough in stories.

Eldar Wave Serpents [or anything with Eldar Energy Fields] should be able to ram things whenever they want. Actually, most vehicles of all other races should be able to. However, they should also take a hit for doing so. Small skimmers [Vyper, Landspeeder] are automatically destroyed?

When wrong, to be made right.
When right, to be kept right.