News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: # of Fex shots and CC attacks?  (Read 1652 times)

Offline Master Bio-Titan BT

• Armies: Chaos Marines and Tyranids
# of Fex shots and CC attacks?
« on: March 23, 2009, 04:41:33 PM »
Hey guys, I just had what I hope to be a simple question to answer.  I have read "FifthWinds" tutorail/tactics thread several times and I noticed his tally of attacks/shots is a bit off from what I computed.  Please clarify the below example Fexes for me if you wouldn't mind.  @ FifthWind, I'm not point fingers at you buddy, thanks for all of your previous advice!

Dakka Fex (Elite):  = I get 8 shots?  vs. 6 shots per FifthWinds tutorial?

Ninja Fex (Elite):  = I get 4 base attacks, 5 on the charge? I'm sure this is correct.

Now the tricky one:

"Samurai" Fex (Heavy +Defensive upgrades):  ScyTal x1 pair, Mace Tail, Crushing Claws, Tusked = 3-8 base attacks +2 on charge

Do I have it right?

I also have one more question in regards to a DakkaFex:  On page 30, the last sentence of the first paragrah it states, and I quote "A Nid that carries two of the same ranged weapon symbiote counts them as TL."  I know that Fexes can take two pairs of TL-Devoures, but does any Nid opponent give you grief of saying something on the lines of "No, you don't get that many, they are just twinlinked as you have two of them like the paragraph states."  Is this a RAW issue at all?  There seems to be a difference between Devoures vs. the BS, DS, and VC as two of those makes them TL!

Thanks!

2008 CSM Poster of the Year

My CSM Conversions & Tutorials (Updated 12-22-12) 

My Tyranid Conversions & Tutorials  (Updated 12-23-12)

Offline eurynomos

• OMFG ZERG RUSH1!!1!1111ONE1
Re: # of Fex shots and CC attacks?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 07:39:40 PM »
Your numbers are correct.  I'm not sure what it says on the other thread, but when in doubt, follow the rules.  You followed the rules correctly.

Don't know what exactly is entailed in a samurai fex, but if what you have there is it, then yeah it's right.

As for two TL weapons, that's just all there is too it.  You can't double link weapons.  If it's TL and you get another one, then you have two TL weapons, both of which you just happen to be able to fire by being an MC.  (Don't take 2 spinefists with Warriors ever.  Aside from that MCs should be your only issue with that rule)

Everybody else has tanks that can do it, why can't we?  Can anyone say Land Raider...hello?  And don't get me started on hurricane bolters...
-=good luck, have fun, don't die=-

Offline FifthWindDieGermanator

• Marines are Toughness 3! | Termagant
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 09:09:34 PM »
Yes, you got it right BT. Do you mind pointing the spefic post to me so I can fix that?

Also, I agree that two Twin Linked weapons are just that, two twin linked weapons.
"special weapons, what special weapons, oh look skulls, BLAAAGABLAGAAAGGGGG BLOOD SKULLS BLOOD SKULLS"
-Sanctjud

I'd rather you hate me, For everything I am, Than have you love me, For something that I can't
- Five Finger Death Punch

Beware, Rules Lawyers, beware!

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 10:57:19 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys!

@ FifthWind:  I looked back at your tutorial and found that I misread.  You stated that a "DakkaFex will typical cause 6 wounds" and I misread it as 6 shots.  Sorry. :-[  Your the man!  Man!

Don't know what exactly is entailed in a samurai fex, but if what you have there is it, then yeah it's right.

Well, calling a CC heavy fex a "Samurai" Fex is something that I have been thinking about implementing into the Nid forum language.  We'll see if it sticks or not.  I feel that an Elite Ninja Fex is just that, a Ninja Fex, which we know is awesome, whereas a Samurai has more to him such as armour, in other words, has defensive upgrades like a Samurai's armour.  What do you think?

Hey guys, I sure would appreciate some advice on Fex conversions from my 2k armylist just below this post.

Thanks again!

Offline coredump

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:08:04 AM »
"Samurai" Fex (Heavy +Defensive upgrades):  ScyTal x1 pair, Mace Tail, Crushing Claws, Tusked = 3-8 base attacks +2 on charge
This one is not correct. Or rather, misleading.

You cannot get the Mace tail attack on the same turn that you charge, so you will never get the charge/tusk attacks and the mace attacks at the same time.
So your fex will have 2-7 attacks, and if you charge you will have 4-9 attacks, and if you are surrounded, you will have 3-8 attacks.
In the past the sun moved around the Earth.
This is fifth edition! You are wrong, your opponent is right.
-Finoro
Glancing hits suck my face off now
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

Offline eurynomos

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:58:59 AM »
Actually, in many instances, you probably will get the mace attack.  With the new rules for defenders reacting in CC, against basically any squad of 5+ you're gonna get surrounded if you charge your fex in solo, or he gets charged, or he joins a fight where you're opponent is just as unfamiliar with this little tidbit in the rules.  Mace tail is pretty cheap points wise for an extra attack, given a fex's other choices, even scytals

So that means this won't work against say: MC, tanks, individual characters, etc.  Which is why I said "many" instead of "most" instances.  So it really depends on your uses for the fex, i.e. as an anti-infantry fex the tail will help, but not for a tank hunter fex.

Offline coredump

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 08:50:46 AM »
Actually, in many instances, you probably will get the mace attack.
No, it will not work, not ever.

The mace tail does not trigger unless the fex is surrounded at the "beginning of the phase". By the time the defenders 'react', it is too late to trigger it.
-Finoro
-YuenglingDragon
RAI is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
RAW is used by people who want rules to mean what they want it to instead of what it says in the book.
-Hymirl

Offline MaldeCaderas

• the uncureable
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 08:56:35 AM »
Hmmm.. Feels like this should not be the case...
smaller the hope, precious it is

Offline eurynomos

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:54 AM »
Huh.

Never noticed that.

Oh well...

...killjoy.  Whose side are you on anyways :P

Offline HiveFleetEzekial

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2009, 09:43:46 AM »
The side of people playing by the correct rules, for better or for worse.  (same side I tend to be on :D )

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 02:50:48 PM »
You guys are confusing the crap out of me.  Looks like I need to re-read the rules for the tail.

Where does it say that the tail and Tusks can't be combined?

Regarding the "Samurai" Fex, I guess its not going to work.  I re-read the Fex tactica again and saw what I was referring as a Screamer Killer Fex.  All the same I suppose, to each his own.

Offline HiveFleetEzekial

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 04:20:44 PM »
Tail weapons can only be used when in btb with a certain number of enemies at the begining of the assault phase. At the beginning of the assault phase, you're not in btb with any enemy if you're initiating a charge. You only end up in btb with them after the charge which is after 'the beginning of the assault phase', and subsiquent rounds (when the charge+tusked bonus wouldn't be used).

Offline coredump

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »
Master: There is no rule saying they can't be combined, it is just that the rules never work out that way.

The tail says you must be surrounded at the beginning of the phase. If you are surrounded at the beginning of the phase, then there is no way you can be charging that phase.
-Finoro
-YuenglingDragon
-Hymirl

Offline Hive Fleet Dread Q'thulu

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:06:30 PM »
"screamer killer" is an elite/ninja fex the people move in before the assualt phase begins which begins when the attacks start

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 12:35:58 AM »
Tail weapons can only be used when in btb with a certain number of enemies at the begining of the assault phase. At the beginning of the assault phase, you're not in btb with any enemy if you're initiating a charge. You only end up in btb with them after the charge which is after 'the beginning of the assault phase', and subsiquent rounds (when the charge+tusked bonus wouldn't be used).

Yeh, got that when I got home and re-read the rules for it.  I think that I have been overlooking the paragraphed description of the Tails and skipping right to the description of each type of tail instead of the rules as a whole.  That will teach me!

Offline coredump

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 01:09:44 AM »
"screamer killer" is an elite/ninja fex the people move in before the assualt phase begins which begins when the attacks start
No, the phase starts, at the beginning of the phase. Not partway through the phase.
-Finoro
-YuenglingDragon
-Hymirl