News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1500 pt list  (Read 480 times)

1500 pt list
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:01:59 PM »
1st List here and would like some help with it.

HQ
Hive Tyrant w/ Enhanced Senses, Psychic Scream, Toxin Sacs, 2xDevourers -176
1 Tyrant Guard

ELITE

4 Warriors w/ Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace, 3 with Death Spitters, Scything Talons 1 with Barb S. Scything Claws -149

5 Warriors w/ Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Extended Carapace, 4 with Devourers, Rending Claws 1 with Barb S. Rending Claws -187

TROOPS

15 Termagaunts w/Fleshborers -90

16 Hormagaunts -160

8 Genestealers -128

8 Genestealers -128

FAST ATTACK

2 Ravener's w/ Rending Claws -80

HEAVY SUPPORT

SniperFex w/ Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon -159

DakkaFex w/ Enhanced Senses, 2xDevorers -113

2 Zoanthrope  Warp Blast, Pyschic Scream 130

I know I need fast synapse and will get a Winged HT, possibly some winged warriors.  As the list is though will the lack of fast synapse cause a huge issue with my Gaunts? 

Will my Zoans not being synapse creatures limit their fire ability since I will need them to stick by the HT or the Warriors to prevent insta kills?

Are Raveners effective with only 2 of them in a unit?

The one gaunt squad being 15 was done to make the list exactly 1500pts. 

The Baroness Protects.

Offline Scalu

• Craftworld Zaitor / Splinter Fleet Whiteclaw
    • Campaign Maps
Re: 1500 pt list
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:25:07 PM »
Hi Tom,

Drop the toxin sacs from the Sniperfex.  It does not raise the strength of his guns any, but makes the BS he has more expensive.

I think that might give you enough points to get rending claws instead of scything talons on the first group of warriors.

Split the Raveners into 2 broods of 1 Ravener each.  That way if it's shot at, the wounds won't carry over to the other Ravener.  They are effective in broods of 1, but only when supporting another unit, or each other.  Don't have 1 Ravener charge something by itself (unless it really sucks at hand-to-hand).

You could benifit from more units that can tie up the enemy on turn 2, right now it's just the hormagaunts and the 2 raveners.  But since you have a mostly shooty army, then you could take the time to advance them more cautiously while shooting it out with your opponent, so you might not need to tie them up on turn 2.

The lack of fast Synapse could be an issue for your gaunts, but then again, just take a bit of time getting them there safe and sound, and it will give you synapse time to advance and support them better.

Yeah, the Zoans should keep withing range of the warriors and Tyrant to avoid being insta-killed.  But with Psychic Scream, it's best if they are shoulder to shoulder with the Hive Tyrant anyways so that the effects stack.
http://www.storyofstuff.com/
1850 pts Tau army assembled and painted in 1 month!

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 03:18:13 PM »
Scalu gave you some fine advice.  I'd be saying the same stuff.

As to your Fast Synapse issue, your gaunts will probably be able to stay in Synapse range until they charge.  Once they make that extra 6-12" they tend to be too far away to gain the benefits of Synapse.  That's only a problem if you lose combat, though.  If you intend to only tie up one unit with all of your fast things then you can probably slide by but I think Fast Synapse should be a priority for you.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

Don't listen to the drunk dragon...

Offline Lazarus15

• Fantasy>5th Ed.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 09:40:40 PM »
I would personally switch at least one b strangler for a venom cannon on the warriors and perhaps some rending claw goodness in case someone blows past the genestealers. 
Kings of Khemri versus The Master of Change.

Warseer Member Charred Remains about the 5th Ed. "No Retreat Rule" :

"But this 'no retreat rule' thing now just doesn't have any drama.The rule executes with the speed of an oncoming sore throat. It's a slow dickover. Kinda like doing your taxes. I'd vote to change it."

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
Meh.  Two strength 7 shots don't impress me much.  I've always preferred the large blast and pinning goodness of the Strangler.
Proposition beslubber wins by a landslide!  I'm the 2008 Space Marine poster of the year.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:41:47 AM »
  Thanks for the suggestions Matey's.  Looking back at it I don't know why I put the toxin sacs on the sniperfex waste of points.  As for the rending claws I would love to field more but don't have the bits at the moment.
The fast synapse is something I need to work on but for some reason I don't look foreward converting the HT.

Question for you guys about the dakkafex do you just march up the field until you can charge or do you just sit and shoot?  I guess it would depend on the situation but as a general rule what do you do?

The Baroness Protects.

Offline Plague Tower of Nurgle

• Ork Boy
  • My troops are protected by "Nurgley Goodness"
    • Northeast Gamers Hub
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:48:43 AM »
yea the rending claw bits are a hassle, i bought 5 monsterous creature arm sprues for my warriors.

the wings wouldnt be too bad, the fantasy dragon wings have a peg at the end so if you drilled a hole in the HT it would pretty much be self pinning.

as for the Dakkafex i would imagine you constantly march it towards your opponent while shooting and then eventually assault with it.
legion of sickness
lord of misery
after my death I rise in immortality
unleashing the horror my words are infected
feast on my rot
I am resurrected

resurrection of the rotten
resurrection of the dead

Offline YuenglingDragon

• Lazerous Penguin
  • I'm a beer dragon!
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 02:06:03 AM »
The wings I used (Fantasy Chaos Dragon from 2nd or 3rd Edition, I think) were concave almost to the same curve as the 3rd edition Tyrants carapace.  I just used some putty from the local hobby store to adjust the curve.  It took me all of 2 minutes to do and a the longest part was the half hour it took to dry solid.

I march my Dakkafex forward.  With your army, the whole damn thing is gonna be moving forward so you have little incentive to sit back.