News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: Rise of the Minotaurs  (Read 12722 times)

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
Rise of the Minotaurs
« on: October 16, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
Hey,

I have been working on these guys for awhile and should hopefully get the Green Stuff done soon. Let me know what you think thus far:

Sgt 1

Sgt 2

Sgt 3

Combat Squad 1

- Martok
« Last Edit: December 7, 2012, 08:28:14 AM by M4rt0k »
Checkout the blog I contribute to here bloody-dice.blogspot.com

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
Re: Rise of the Minotaurs
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
Ha! Another Minotaur!  Death to the Sons of Guilliman!!

I have a few of my Minotaurs on my Blog here: Arq. War: First Minotaurs

I'm still finalising the paint scheme but will be posting more pics to my blog soon.

I like your additions. Are the roman style helmet crests from Anvil industries or Scibor?

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:07:26 AM »
Hey!

Yeah the resin bits are Anvil except the shoulder pad which is from Puppets War and the troopers ones are from FW.

Cheers for the link to your blog man I see my Tyranids taking a hiding at 40konline :) IF only I was swooping those damned Harpies lol

- Martok

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 05:13:08 AM »
Swooping would not have helped you against my Firestorm  ;)

I like that you're chopping the marines up and posing them dramatically.

Have you worked out  a paint scheme yet?

I really must update the bblog with an up to date state of affairs.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 06:30:06 AM »
Colour scheme will be as in IA:9 however, the actual what paint goes where is going to be a WIP. AS my Airbrush has been busted I have jsut been worrying about getting them built. However, this just turned up in the post:

So I shall be trying basically this formula:

Black undercoat > Dark Bronze > Thin wash with Hawk Turquoise > Light Bronze Highlight > zenithal touch highlight with maybe silver...

All of the above might change and the exact colours will be worked out with a little trial and error on some test models I think.

And yes the firestorm would have mauled them lol

- Martok

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »
I need to finalise my paint scheme but I'm going with the following;
  • Prime: White spray
  • Base: Scorpion Bronze
  • Wash: Nuln Oil
  • Wash: Carroburg Red
  • Layer:  Hashut Copper
  • Highlight: Runelord Brass
Sgts, Characters, honour guard and the like will get a Griffon Gold dusting to their armour

Bolters, weapons, tabards etc,
  • Base: Khorne Red
  • Wash: Agrax Earthshade
  • Layer: Wazdakka Red
  • Wash: Carroburg Red
  • Details: Averland Yellow
Shoulder pads will either be Red as above or bronze/gold

I'm heavily going down the Forgeworld route and will slowlyt replace the Mk7 & 8 armoured marines with Mk 4 & 5  armour as I think this looks badass.  I'm going to have to sell my Space Wolves army to pay for it though  ???
Vehicles I'm thinking of doing deep Red as a contrast. Metalic vehicles look naff to me and I have no idea how to do the colour scheme in the IA book despite trying 3 different methods.

Chose approprate response;
  • It did!
  • Again
  • With Gusto!

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »
Oddly enough your scheme looks alot like:

http://www.tartanpaint.info/2012/07/20/minotaurs-space-marine-painting-guide/#.UH6TksXAeGM#

Whereas mine is more:

From the Warp: Painting Minotaurs in bronze and a banner

I was going the FW route with these guys and then they announced Betrayal and now all my Mkii-vi armour has been stolen by some Emperors Children. Thus going with the idea of trying to convert as many of the Minotaurs into Mkviii.

Quote from: M4rt0k on Today at 05:30:06 AM
Chose approprate response;
It did!
Again
With Gusto!

I go for with gusto lol

Offline Caustic

• Castellan Cawww!
  • Armies: Salamanders, 1k Sons & Daemons, Hochland Empire.
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:03 AM »
Pretty good work on the head conversions in particular.

Do you plan to run with the Forge World characters or just as a Vanilla Marine army?

I'm curious to know where you got those head frills.  Which kit did they come from?

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 08:42:15 AM »
Oddly enough your scheme looks alot like:

http://www.tartanpaint.info/2012/07/20/minotaurs-space-marine-painting-guide/#.UH6TksXAeGM#

Whereas mine is more:

From the Warp: Painting Minotaurs in bronze and a banner

Yeah I saw these techniques and am borrowing bits from them both. I'm not a fan of the Hawk Turquiose wash thing myself but I'll admit it does look good.

I wanted the armour to look less gold and more reddy bronze hense the carroburg red washes.

I'm curious to know where you got those head frills.  Which kit did they come from?
They're from an e-bay shop called "Anvil Industries"

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
    • oinks overambitious terrain project(s)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »
followed and followed...

FYI, bronze weathers to a dull green, as opposed to the brighter colour that copper weathers to. I'd suggest then that a torquise wash may not necessarily be the most "accurate". Of course, it is one of the nicer tones to offset the bronze colour.

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »
followed and followed...

FYI, bronze weathers to a dull green, as opposed to the brighter colour that copper weathers to. I'd suggest then that a torquise wash may not necessarily be the most "accurate". Of course, it is one of the nicer tones to offset the bronze colour.

You're right I think the best mix for the effect is an equal mix of Caliban green and Sotek Turquiose, watered down of course...

Are you thinking of starting a Minotaur army O:nk?

Offline Shas'Oink

• Sky Ray Pimp Daddy | Infinity Circuit | Ban me, I dare you! | The Fallen didn't fall, they were pushed. | Winner of the 2008 40K Online Longest Title Competition, awarded again with oak leaves, five years and running | Now with O:nkling! | Axe
  • Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:51:57 AM »
I must say that when the FW books were first released it more than crossed my mind... I was torn between Minotaurs or Lamenters... and because of my indecision done neither! Then I was asked by someone to quote to paint a Minotaurs Army for them and thats when I done a bit more research into going about painting them up.

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
followed and followed...

You're right I think the best mix for the effect is an equal mix of Caliban green and Sotek Turquiose, watered down of course...

Are you thinking of starting a Minotaur army O:nk?

Thanks guys, So looking for reverse engineering of the paints that works out as Dark Angels green with Hawk Turquoise ish?

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 12:07:36 PM »
erm... your guess is as good as mine! Still not got my head around the new colours!

I'm not a fan of having to mix colours for key tones for an army... mostly where I want a consistent look - though when weathering consistency is not necessarily a good thing.

Depending on how you actually apply the wash this may affect the colour you may want to use. When you water colours down (using water) they tend to lose a lot of their vibrancy. There are some products out there you can use to make "actual" washes which apparently don't affect the pigments in the same way, but I couldn't point you to any from experience.

Rather than a mix, you may want to think about a brighter green or maybe something a bit more like the old Scaly Green (which was basically like a toned down darkened torqouise). There may be a new version of this now??

Long story short - do some tests first on some odd bits and see what works!?

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2012, 12:09:56 PM »
erm... your guess is as good as mine! Still not got my head around the new colours!

I'm not a fan of having to mix colours for key tones for an army... mostly where I want a consistent look - though when weathering consistency is not necessarily a good thing.

Depending on how you actually apply the wash this may affect the colour you may want to use. When you water colours down (using water) they tend to lose a lot of their vibrancy. There are some products out there you can use to make "actual" washes which apparently don't affect the pigments in the same way, but I couldn't point you to any from experience.

Rather than a mix, you may want to think about a brighter green or maybe something a bit more like the old Scaly Green (which was basically like a toned down darkened torqouise). There may be a new version of this now??

Long story short - do some tests first on some odd bits and see what works!?

Cheers mate. Yeah I have some choice victims to try this on first hopefully, they will be abused over the weekend and I shall see what works and what doesn't. Might even have some scaly green somewhere...

Post Merge: October 18, 2012, 04:59:52 AM
In the future, please use the modify button. Double posting is against the forum rules, and for that reason, the system merged your posts.

Pretty good work on the head conversions in particular.

Do you plan to run with the Forge World characters or just as a Vanilla Marine army?

Hey,

I have the FW characters but will be magnetizing Malocs spear so it can be switched for a hammer and run him as Lysander. I think most of the time they will be running as Vanilla but I have an idea to rope in some representatives of the High Lords as allies.. assassins, ad mech magos etc

In line with the previous Sergeant this guy will be holding the back line and shall be providing tactical support to the vanguard units so I modeled him with Auspex out.

Now my Green Stuff has arrived I have managed to finish the modelling work on the first combat squad and they are ready for paint. Although the 20 Word Bearers and 40 odd Necron Warriors/Immortals on my Paint table may have to come first!

And as usual there are more pics on my blog bloody-dice.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:46:45 AM by M4rt0k »

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:27:36 AM »
So these guys have taken some time to finally get paint onto them. I do have some better pictures on my actual camera but for now some sneak peeks. Here is the Squad Sergeant with his Armour finished:

Let me know what you think as I can still adjust the tone at this point.

- Martok

Offline Shas'Oink

• Ancient
  • 87% sure I'm straight
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
No I think they look great! It seems like "just" the right amount of wear.

I might suggest taking one model to completion first because I sometimes find that as I paint the other details and colours it has an affect on the appearance of the armour... You may find that you want to lighten or darken the armour a bit once you see it next to the tone of red for example...

I'd be happy with them though!

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 11:04:11 AM »
Looking good!

Go with O:nk's suggestions of painting one up to the max as he's right, the highlights and contrasting colours will have a balancing effect on the armours shade.

I have a question for you. Are you going to have any vehicles if so what colour scheme are you going for?

Can't seem to subscribe to your blogspot blog  :-\

Offline M4rt0k

• I *LOVE* 40k Online!
    • BLOODYdice
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
No I think they look great! It seems like "just" the right amount of wear.

I might suggest taking one model to completion first because I sometimes find that as I paint the other details and colours it has an affect on the appearance of the armour... You may find that you want to lighten or darken the armour a bit once you see it next to the tone of red for example...

I'd be happy with them though!

That sounds like good advice. I shall take one of the bolter guys and work it all out on him. I am trying to work out whether I should mask of the sergeants shoulder pads to apply the red to them.. still learning how to use the airbrush effectively!

Looking good!

Go with O:nk's suggestions of painting one up to the max as he's right, the highlights and contrasting colours will have a balancing effect on the armours shade.

I have a question for you. Are you going to have any vehicles if so what colour scheme are you going for?

Can't seem to subscribe to your blogspot blog  :-\

Hey, no vehicles planned as yet but then there is no list planned as yet. However, it would likely be pretty similar with the airbrush process working about the same just where and how i am using the paint would change quite a bit... would need to add some medium tot he washes i think and hope to get a good finish :S

I tried to add myself on my blogspot and it failed first time but now it is working. Not sure if it was a blogspot kink or what?!

Offline Arquarian

• Infinity Circuit
  • all is dust...
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »
I tried to add myself on my blogspot and it failed first time but now it is working. Not sure if it was a blogspot kink or what?!
I think its something you have to do in the settling. I had a play around and now people can add me and I can add people.

I'm painting my vehicles red as an all bronze army would be just too blingy in my eyes. Watch my blog for updates this weekend!