News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: New Codex  (Read 14585 times)

Offline Wyddr

• Author Eminence: Hereticus Liber Daemonica | Fio'shas Shi
  • Lazerous Penguin
    • My blog about SF/F stuff
  • Armies: Daemons, Imperial Fists, Tau, Ksons, Vostroyans
Re: New Codex
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »
Oh, I'm sure everyone will respond with the polite, well thought out, and restrained manner we're used to when it comes to new codex responses. Famous across all the lands for not flying off the handle when confronted with someone else doing things better or even merely differently. Famous.

Nobody will even be playing Tallarn, which is the funny part. We're going to have to go through the whole "but now the Eldar aren't special" complaint (my God, how many times...) for an army that nobody except a few collectors will have or even want.

On the other hand, everybody should be complaining about Cadia. That's just wildly obnoxious. "But they can't move if they want..."

Guys, they're the guard. Moving is not now, nor ever has been, a priority. This amphetamine parrot is going to be abused like nothing we've seen since the Leafblower.

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
  • From the Fourth Necromantic House
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2017, 04:21:43 PM »
I've always had a wet spot for the Tallarn just due to the Desert Rats and Long Range Desert Group. Looks like they're heading more to the LRDG than the DR. Not a flame to my beloved and long forgotten Praetorians though.
Quote from: @TracyAuGoGO
Tact is for people who are too slow witted to be sarcastic.
Drink
Knights Tippler
Quote from: Surviving the World
If you can't make fun of something, it's probably not worth taking seriously.

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2017, 04:25:54 PM »
I've always had a wet spot for the Tallarn just due to the Desert Rats and Long Range Desert Group. Looks like they're heading more to the LRDG than the DR. Not a flame to my beloved and long forgotten Praetorians though.

Yeah, that is a shame about the Praetorians. They're a pretty easy swap with the Mordians, though.

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
I still can't decide what regiment doctrine wise I'll be going with, but I'm sure I'll be trying to make my own models. 

What are gw going to do about the models?  It's cool that all the old regiments are back (it really is).  But we need to be able to buy them right?  Could OOP metal models be brought back into production?  And will we ever get updated plastics?

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• The Badger on the Road | Staff Infection Officer | Debased Vassal Slayer | Title Barfly | XOXOXO Gossip Girl | Bent Over
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2017, 04:33:49 PM »
Yeah, that is a shame about the Praetorians. They're a pretty easy swap with the Mordians, though.

HOW DARE YOU. Nothing at all the same. Completely and utterly different as you can tell from their HATS!

Drink
Knights Tippler

You have to love the smell of science in the morning. It smells of learning.... or perhaps a gas leak.

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2017, 07:51:34 PM »
No, That's the exterminator. The eradicator has the eradicator nova cannon. It's the one that ignores cover. Not that bad, but not too exciting either. It's basically a weaker battle cannon with less range.
Huh... maybe that explains why I've never heard of it.  It's completely beslubbering useless...
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...

Offline Aurics Pride

• Aspect Warrior
  • I tread the hidden path.....
  • Armies: Eldar, Raven Guard, Slaanesh
« Reply #66 on: October 1, 2017, 03:22:55 AM »
Wow, just been catching up on some of the leaks. It's not often that I go to other forums but I've just been looking through DakkaDakka and having to wade through a lot of salt!
Guard are going to be hideously strong in the first couple of turns of the game which to be honest worries me slightly with how 8th edition very much favours going first etc.
I definitely think that when I am facing Guard I will be using small high firepower armies in a hope to go first and do enough damage before they can get rolling.
+++ VICTORUS AUT MORTIS +++

My Army Blog (Corsair & Raven Guard: Here

Offline Cavalier

• One Archon to Rules Test Them All | High Corsair Prince of Painting | Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Corsair Prince
  • Armies: Eldar, Dark Angels, World Eaters
« Reply #67 on: October 2, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
Yeah from where I sit, certain of these combos make IG Veterans look far superior to anything Marines can do just in terms of maneuvering which just seems really off to me. Sniping out characters, full BS overwatch, hit and running into their transports, outflank galore, consolidating units and the list goes on.

This is the kind of stuff I'd expect Vanguard Veterans, Sternguard, Primaris Marines or certain Aspect Warriors to pull off. Super elite commando moves (as far as the tabletop game is concerned). To me they went way to far.
Check out my army! Eldar Corsair Army

I'm also on the Splintermind Podcast! http://www.facebook.com/splintermindpodcast/

Offline The GrimSqueaker

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: October 4, 2017, 11:58:08 AM »
More on conscripts from a very, very serious point of view.
The Complete Guide to Conscripts – The Regimental Standard
Drink
Knights Tippler

Offline Lorizael

• GW Shill: Infinity Circuit: Synergistic Spotter of Numpties
  • Ancient
« Reply #69 on: October 4, 2017, 07:21:11 PM »
What are gw going to do about the models?  It's cool that all the old regiments are back (it really is).  But we need to be able to buy them right?  Could OOP metal models be brought back into production?  And will we ever get updated plastics?

Er, you just use the plastic guard models and pick a set of regiment rules to use.

Nobody will even be playing Tallarn, which is the funny part. We're going to have to go through the whole "but now the Eldar aren't special" complaint (my God, how many times...) for an army that nobody except a few collectors will have or even want.

I'm going to be using Tallarn. I have an armoured company tithed from Baal; all rad deserts and stuff, so Tallarn fits my army background well. :)

Guys, they're the guard. Moving is not now, nor ever has been, a priority. This amphetamine parrot is going to be abused like nothing we've seen since the Leafblower.

Have fun claiming all of those objectives while standing still.
« Last Edit: October 4, 2017, 07:36:17 PM by Lorizael »

Offline Wyddr

• Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #70 on: October 4, 2017, 09:09:57 PM »
Have fun claiming all of those objectives while standing still.

Not that hard to claim objectives *after* everything is dead.

The Cadia regimental doctrine is obscenely good and you must, must realize this. It granted an army-wide ability hitherto only available from character auras or special one-off abilities--one that can be stacked with orders to become even better--and the only thing they have to give up is the thing that most of the units who benefit from it wouldn't be doing anyway. People have every right to howl about it, because it's ridiculous.

Er, you just use the plastic guard models and pick a set of regiment rules to use.

Lame. I really hope it isn't just left at this. There are enough Vostroyan and Catachan models out there to make a reasonable army, but none of the other regiments have a big enough line. They all deserve expansions. Even just heavy and special weapons kits and a command squad would probably be enough.

Offline Lord of Winter and War

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
  • Armies: Harlequins, Spiderfang, Bonereapers, Space Wolves
« Reply #71 on: October 4, 2017, 10:41:25 PM »
Well, with people running any colour of marine as any chapter, folks who want the best 'bang for the buck', will not be too concerned by what their models look like.

Hobbyists will for sure be keen to theme their army on a certain regiment (like always), but for tournament play, I can't see that happening.

But, we'll see. It'd be nice to be rewarded for putting the effort in. I do like the opportunity the traits do allow for building your own custom regiments, and building a cool army around a certain set of traits.

Also, once all the armies have their own books with their own 'traits', then things will be on an even footing. For example, Marines and Chaos each have a chapter/legion which gives their opponents a -1 to hit modifier beyond 12". Shooting twice (or whatever), doesn't help as much if you're not moving closer and then always hitting on 5's (or worse).

People's terrain should also not allow clear line of fire across the whole table.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #72 on: October 5, 2017, 07:09:55 AM »
Marines are a bit different. There are less Chapters and background is pretty chapter-specific. Using your home-made successor chapter as Imperial Fists is great, using your painted Ultramarines as Imperial Fists is lame...

Bit different with the Militarum though, the "Cadian" models wear the most commonly used armour and uniform in the Guard. And there are hundreds of thousands of different regiments in the galaxy. Most of them using Cadian pattern armour, and chances are a lot of them will have similar combat doctrines.

Yeah, Cadian rules are pretty good. I'll deal with it though. It's just a game, and I have plenty of armies that really won't care how good the Cadians are at shooting.

• The Cause of Diabetes -Captain- Necrontyr Immortal - KoN Veteran - Master of All Diplomacy | Wi-Fi Nomad |
  • Ancient
« Reply #73 on: October 5, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »

Yeah, Cadian rules are pretty good. I'll deal with it though. It's just a game, and I have plenty of armies that really won't care how good the Cadians are at shooting.

Same, my Harlequins will be charging Turn 1 anyway, so there wont be much of a shooting phase as it is lol.
Harlequin Army Blog

That's not blatant, this is blatant: I'm super happy that I'm playing Austria, the greatest nation in all of Diplomacy!

Azore of Austria

Offline Guildmage Aech

• FLAMER: Ego Bigger than his Common Sense Centre | 40KO's Care Bear of Spite | Dolphin Death Dealer | 40K Oracle
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Personal text
« Reply #74 on: October 5, 2017, 01:29:05 PM »
Well maybe my Tallarns will come out of retirement for some full speed vehicle antics if the rumours are true!

Same, my Harlequins will be charging Turn 1 anyway, so there wont be much of a shooting phase as it is lol.

Just as long as the don't ignore the morale phase, fall back and shoot you in the face... :P

Yes there are ways around it but out of the doctines going it seems pretty much 'the best' instead of having any flavour to it.

Rules Expert 2007 | Kijayle Commemorative Award for Acid Wit 2008 | Most Notoriously Valuable Rules Expert 2009 | Most Notorious 2014

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #75 on: October 5, 2017, 10:01:03 PM »
The increase in points to special weapons messes up my new Scions army a bit. Quite a few "wasted" models I'll need to drop to make up the points for the more expensive Taurox and special weapons. I just finished assembling them..

• Ancient
« Reply #76 on: October 5, 2017, 10:07:53 PM »
It's good though. Scions were boarderline broken until now. They were far too cheap for what they could do.

Just as long as the don't ignore the morale phase, fall back and shoot you in the face... :P

Yes there are ways around it but out of the doctines going it seems pretty much 'the best' instead of having any flavour to it.

Pretty much the only tactic I have agasint them. Any commissars are an easy target though, as the Solitare moves 12+3d6" once per game ignoring models. It's not hard to get character kills with him turn 1. Then it's a matter of surviving the rest.
Harlequin Army Blog

Azore of Austria

Offline Partninja

• Warlock
  • Lazerous Penguin
« Reply #77 on: October 5, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
Oh I don't disagree but my army was far from a BS tourney abuse list. I mostly started them to use with my assassin models from the assassin box game. It's pure Scions with all of the assassins. I'm not running conscripts and knights and what-not.

Just mad at the wasted money/models. I would try to modify some models back to hot-shot Las, but they shared arms with the other bits.

Offline Lorizael

• Ancient
« Reply #78 on: October 6, 2017, 04:34:34 AM »
The increase in points to special weapons messes up my new Scions army a bit. Quite a few "wasted" models I'll need to drop to make up the points for the more expensive Taurox and special weapons. I just finished assembling them..

Hmm, I have a pure Scions army; I've just bought another box based on the new Codex :D
Absolutely loving the army!

Offline Grand Master Lomandalis

• Grand Master of the Deathwing | Oh the lolmanity! | 40kOnline's Care Bear of LOL!
  • Global Moderator
  • We were murderers first, last, and always!
  • Armies: Dark Angels, Custodes, Knights, Night Lords
« Reply #79 on: October 6, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »
My friends were spitballing stupidity last night as they were going through the new codex.  They couldn't help but laughing at how it is perfectly legal to have 3 Baneblade variants (I think it was a stormlord and 2 vanilla variants) using the Valhallan rules, and Guilliman to get close to 2000pts.

I've always wanted to start a Guard army, and I'm already 1/4 of the way to having that list lol
If there is anything that recent politics has taught us, it is that quotes taken out of context can mean what ever you want them to.
Well I always liked the globals...
I knew I had fans!!!

"Dark Angels are Traitors" is the 40k equivalent of Flat Earthers.  You can provide all of the proof you want that says otherwise, but people just can't let it go...