News: No news is good news...

Login  |  Register

Author Topic: 1850 "Tournament" List  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
1850 "Tournament" List
« on: April 5, 2015, 11:18:30 PM »
Hi Folks,

I'm wanting to go to a tournament in 5 weeks. I haven't played in a "Serious" tournament before, just some small time stuff at my local GW. It was well before our current codex, I think it was early 6th edition. I play competitively with my buddies, but we're completely Kosher with proxying things, primered / unpainted models, that sort of thing. So my selection for making a tournament friendly list is limited to what I've got ready to go, and things I can get ready in the meanwhile.

So that said, here's the list I've put together. The plan is to have a fully mobile force, grinding forwards 6" a turn. The infantry platoon is, sadly, a straight-up meat shield for the tanks, to ensure they have a cover save. I don't know what kind of terrain I'll be playing on. Sadly, that means I'll be binning models as fast as I can grab them, to the tune of about 250 points worth of infantry, in all likelihood.

Here goes!

1850 - Astra Militarum - I prefer all my enemies... to die!

200 - Company Command Squad: Astropath, Power Fist, Shotgun, Kurov's Aquila, Vox, 2x Meltagun, Flamer
  65 - Chimera: Multi-Laser, Heavy Flamer

25 - Ministorum Priest: Joins Conscripts

111 - Veterans: Boltgun, Vox, 2x Meltagun, Plasma Gun, Autocannon
  65 - Chimera: Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter

111 - Veterans: Boltgun, Vox, 2x Meltagun, Plasma Gun, Autocannon
  65 - Chimera: Multi-Laser, Heavy Bolter

31 - Platoon Command Squad: Boltgun Rides in Vendetta, late game obj grabber. Lieutennant Dan always survives the crash, then eats 8-14 wounds, every game.

61 - Infantry Squad: Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Grenade Launcher

61 - Infantry Squad: Boltgun, Melta Bombs, Grenade Launcher

60 - Conscripts [20]:

105 - Militarum Tempestus Scions [5]: Power Axe, 2x Meltagun

100 - Militarum Tempestus Scions [5]: 2x Plasma Gun

170 - Vendetta: 3x Twin-Linked Lascannon

145 - Devildog: Melta Cannon, Multi Melta

105 - Scout Sentinel Squadron [3]: 3x Multi-Laser

175 - Leman Russ Vanquisher: Lascannon, 2x Plasma Cannon

195 - Leman Russ Executioner: Lascannon, 2x Plasma Cannon

Items of Flexibility:

I like to keep the Vets flexible, since they can only fire 2 weapons from the hatch. At long range, Plasma + BG / AC. Short range, meltas for vehicles, Plasma/Melta for tough stuff. The weapons are flexible, but I don't have the time to add Carapace Armour, cloaks, that sort of thing.

I'm considering swapping the Priest for a Commie with Power Axe. Reason being that the Commie's Ld is 2 points higher than a Priest, so would make issuing orders to them much more reliable. They may have poor BS, but 20 Conscripts with 3 shots each, rerolling 1's to hit and wound do a pretty good chunk of damage. Being more reliably able to issue a "shoot and run" order is good to increase their mobility late game, if they aren't tied up with something.

For some reason, my CCS always winds up in an assault. Always. I have a PF / Shotgun Sergeant model, so I was like, "What the hell, I'll make him a Colonel." That's flexible though, I'd look at a Power Axe instead if 10 points was awesome elsewhere.

Really, I'd listen to weapon load out arguments for any infantry. The Scions will be pretty fixed though. Old Kasrkin models are a be-atch to convert.

The Chimera are fixed load outs, as are the Sentinels and the Vendetta. The First Russ is fixed, but the second could be a Demolisher, Executioner, or Punisher, with any extra guns. The Devildog is flexible, currently a Banewolf but I think I'm going to change that up.

I also have the bits to make a reasonable Hydra. I have an Aegis with Quad, but don't have the hard copy to use it at the tournament, just the 6th Ed book. Not that I'd want to use either, really, given the build.

The name of the game is to keep the CCS central, to allow Kurov's Aquila to provide it's bonus to hit and wound to as many units as possible. March up the centre of the field, try to secure that centre, and then blast away until I'm wiped from the board.

I have no solutions to Mega-Death Stars. I have no additional codices to draw allies from. I've got a bucket-load of dice and a shirtful of guts, and by the Emperor's Grace I shall play people that will utterly destroy me, but I'll do it on my feet, Dammit! :D

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
Re: 1850 "Tournament" List
« Reply #1 on: April 6, 2015, 12:56:49 PM »
The plan is to have a fully mobile force, grinding forwards 6" a turn.

Sounds like Heavy class Chimeras would be right up your alley, hintity hint hint;)

Anyway, the army.  Don't worry about the mass removal of models.  We're the IG.  We're built to play like that.  8)

I like to keep the Vets flexible, since they can only fire 2 weapons from the hatch. At long range, Plasma + BG / AC. Short range, meltas for vehicles, Plasma/Melta for tough stuff. The weapons are flexible, but I don't have the time to add Carapace Armour, cloaks, that sort of thing.

This is a solid plan, making the best use of your resources.  With a squad fighting from a Chimera like this I wouldn't bother with doctrines either.

I'm considering swapping the Priest for a Commie with Power Axe. Reason being that the Commie's Ld is 2 points higher than a Priest, so would make issuing orders to them much more reliable. They may have poor BS, but 20 Conscripts with 3 shots each, rerolling 1's to hit and wound do a pretty good chunk of damage. Being more reliably able to issue a "shoot and run" order is good to increase their mobility late game, if they aren't tied up with something.

For these reasons, I think replacing the priest with a commissar is the best way to go too. 

Really, I'd listen to weapon load out arguments for any infantry. The Scions will be pretty fixed though. Old Kasrkin models are a be-atch to convert.

I wouldn't change the Scions either (I'm assuming that they're deep striking yes)?  And the infantry squads are OK too.

The First Russ is fixed, but the second could be a Demolisher, Executioner, or Punisher, with any extra guns.

If it's possible to change it, I would make it a Punisher with Plasma Cannon sponsons.  Except for heavy vehicles (and you've got lots of melta guns floating around to deal with them), these could take on anything.  Plasma cannons can dish out the hurt to both MEQs, monstrous creatures, light vehicles (high strength, low AP), and hoards (blasts), whilst the punisher cannon can use it's decent strength and high number of shots to target the same sort of units.  Add in it's decent cost and you'll have a very versatile tank that can fire lots of guns for not that much.

The name of the game is to keep the CCS central, to allow Kurov's Aquila to provide it's bonus to hit and wound to as many units as possible. March up the centre of the field, try to secure that centre, and then blast away until I'm wiped from the board.

Sounds like a plan!  It's a good idea putting them into a chimera then, to boost the Aquila's range slightly.  The K.A will be great for those conscripts and a Punisher.

I have no solutions to Mega-Death Stars. I have no additional codices to draw allies from. I've got a bucket-load of dice and a shirtful of guts, and by the Emperor's Grace I shall play people that will utterly destroy me, but I'll do it on my feet, Dammit! :D

beslubber yeah!  8)

Offline Spectral Arbor

• Major
  • Thanks for the help.
« Reply #2 on: April 6, 2015, 03:41:52 PM »
Oh, yes, the Scions are deep strikers. I'll probably outflank the Scout Sentinels, if my opponent is also a move forwards to crush kind of player. If they prefer to hang back, I'll probably keep them near the main group. I don't like to send them out to die on their own, but if there's minimal resistance at the back, then having something/s to gain a positional advantage would be a benefit.

Yeah, I'm going to sub the Priest for a Commie. I like that model better anyway. :)

As to the Executioner vs Punisher, I'm not anticipating seeing too many horde armies. The Tournament has a 2 hr time limit on each round, so I don't expect to see Green Tide as an opponent... I could be wrong, I've never met these people before! As such, I'd like to have a "big fear" item on the board, to draw attention from my CCS's Chimera. While hordes would tend to find a Punisher to be a "Big Fear" item, I'm not too worried about Nids or Orks having solutions to multi-vehicles anyhow. Well, other than Flyrant Spam, and I won't be able to deal with that anyway. :) I'm more concerned about Necrons and other Shooty Armies [With good saves or mid AV spam like Eldar] being able to wreck multiple tanks quickly. In such cases, I think that an Executioner would be more likely to draw fire from the CCS's Chimera.

I don't feel it's the Guard's greatest strength, the slow roll, but without allies to make a sit'n'shoot block work with some fast [relatively cheap] units, I think this is the best strategy I can make from my collection. I've played a couple games with a Melta-Vet squad [With Demolitions and shotguns] come storming out of a Storm Raven with a BA Libby in Terminator Armour leading them to Tank Wounds. Have a CCS drop out of a Vendetta, and give the Vets Ignore Cover... Demo Charge with IgCo is pretty awesome, with a trio of MG to back them up... and if something survives charge in with a Force Axe and Power Axe Sarge. Pod in a couple of Vet units for support... Sigh. If I was sure I was going to stick with BA instead of playing Red Iron Hands, I'd buy the codex, but I'm not there yet.

Thanks for the input!

PS: Chimera don't need to be heavy, just have AV 12 on the sides. ;)

Offline Calamity

• Concussor Concussed Dice | Captain
  • Lazerous Penguin
  • Cocking up miniatures since 1998
  • Armies: Kharadron Overlords, Bloodbound, Celestial Lions
« Reply #3 on: April 6, 2015, 04:07:16 PM »
Ah, if it's a 'scary' model you're looking for then yeah, I would say the Executioner is best then.  You're welcome though.  :)

And I agree, an increase in side armor for it is essential.  ;)